Desperate House Cat Rescue Society Employee Reviews

3.0Pay & Benefits
3.1Job Security & Advancement
Great for students or anyone who loves cats
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga14 April 2019
I've never had any problem with any of the cats or the people who run the place. The place is cleaned regularly I recommend this to the young or elderly, this is a great place to volunteer or workThe cats are very friendly
Pros
Great place to work, everyone friendly
Cons
Fast paced
great place to volunteer if you like hard work and cats
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Mississauga13 April 2019
Free range rescue house which is as you would expect. A typical shift is non stop litter cleaning, emptying, washing, refilling water/food dishes. Not clean or glamorous jobs but all meed to be done. The cats follow you about but your role is not to cuddle, but there is always time for a pat ot two. Sweeping and cleaning and other duties fill out any extra time. The house is hot and as expected with so many cats there is a smell. Being able to help out and keep the cats happy is rewarding.
Pros
the cats, hard work, work as a team
Cons
heat, smell, no written procedures
This place is eclxcellent
Vet tech (Current Employee) –  Mississauga Ontario7 April 2019
Ive been here 4 years. The cats are free run and have a VERY large home to roam in. The cats are Very well looked after and recieve the BEST medical treatment. There is a lot to do here, so if your coming just to pet cats then this is NOT the place for. Volunteers are here to work, clean up as this is a shelter, feed and do many other odd jobs. The cats follow you around and their are a lot of chances to socialize with them. The purpose of this shelter is to save lives and to give them animals ald a good life while their here waiting. For homes. I love coming in everyday and seeing the cats and knowing im doing my part to help.
Pros
Tonnes of friendly kitty's
Cons
Some dirty work
Great free roam cat shelter
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga4 April 2019
Place is cleaned weekly, be prepared to work if you volunteer but it is fun being around cats all the time. Nice staff as well that will make shifts go by quickly.
Animals are not stuck in cages which is a huge pro.
Pros
Being around cats, nice staff
Smell
Absolutely TERRIBLE experience.
Voluneeter (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 March 2019
i was looking to get my volunteer hours and first of all she refused to sign it until i did all 40. the lady was absolutely rude, no patience for new volunteers, no training, she expected u to know where everything was. she made me clean her kitchen and didn’t do anything to do with cats. i had to clean her fridge, oven and wipe down all her cabinets. they were also smoking cigarettes in the house right where the cats were. she was yelling all for the house to hear that ‘a cat could of don a better job than her’. she was yelling saying ‘she doesn’t ducking listen’. even though i asked her if i could get new water because my bucket of water was filthy and brown, but she made me continue washing with it. the whole house smell like cat urine and terrible. i left and people could smell it off me. there were at least 50 cats crammed in this house. she treats everyone terribly and yells at all the volunteers doing this on their free time well she smokes cigaretes in cats faces. I’d never have a worst expirence. After my mom went in to talk to her since she was ridiculously rude to me, and she got super agressive and was about to physically harass my mom. And when my mom was leaving she yelled ‘YOUR $TUPID KID’ which is completely innapropriate.
Pros
Lots of cats that are cute
Cons
You’ll smell like cat urine after, you get yelled at, no patience for any volunteers, you’re not ‘feeding the cats’ or anything like that you’re cleaning her dirty house.
Toxic environment for both cats and humans
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 February 2019
The other 1 star review give a excellent summary of this place, but in short this is not an animal shelter, just an owner who keeps taking in cats to “rescue” them only to put them in an environment which is worse for them.
Pros
You really do get to be around cats and learn more about them
Cons
Strong acidic smell, cramped, polluted air quality
A good place to volunteer if you love cats
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2019
If you are someone who loves animals and don't mind getting your hands dirty, then this will be a good place to volunteer.

I think what scares some people off is actually having to work. It is an animal shelter -- you don't just show up to play with the cats. Their litter boxes need to be scooped, their water bowls need to be changed, and their food needs to be refilled. It's like caring for a lot of babies :) It can be a bit overwhelming at first to learn where everything is, but nobody will expect you to have everything right the first time.

The best thing about volunteering here is that the cats are not kept in cages, so they can follow you around while you're working (and be a nice distraction). You can work by yourself, and you can also volunteer with a friend if you prefer. People from all walks of life and backgrounds volunteer here; the environment isn't competitive. And when you're done, you can play with the cats.

Overall, it's a pretty straightforward volunteer position and if you want to contribute to keeping the shelter running and help your community, then you'll get something positive out of the experience.
Pros
work with cats
Cons
cat smell
All-around toxic. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 June 2018
Extremely negative experience with this shelter. If I was looking to volunteer, I would absolutely not choose this this place.

- The management is extremely disrespectful to volunteers. New volunteers are not trained on tasks or given a tour of the house, yet are expected to know how to do all the tasks with same efficiency/expertise as someone who's been there for years AND where everything is located in the house.
- Absolutely no patience for new volunteers who are only just learning. Will berate you for asking questions and tell you to figure it out on your own, then gets upset about you doing a poor job.
- The entire house is toxic for both cats and people. There is absolutely no ventilation, as windows are shut at all times. This is so that the cats don't fall out and hurt themselves, but this benefit is questionable seeing how poor the air quality is. Entire house carries stench of cat litter that will cling to your clothes and can be smelled from outside the house. Air is made worse by fact that manager and residents are all heavy smokers. Such a shame for all the cats who live here.
Pros
Get to work with cats
Cons
1)No training at all, but expects you to know how to do everything like a pro 2)VERY impolite manager, does not respect volunteers, no patience for new volunteers 3)Toxic volunteer environment, no airflow, house has stench of cat litter

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Desperate House Cat Rescue Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Desperate House Cat Rescue Society Reviews by Job Title