Designer Shoe Warehouse Employee Reviews

Taught me a lot
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON2 May 2019
This job gave me the motivation and skills to continue to progress in any workforce. Performing high-class customer services in a fast paced environment really shows you who's capable of supreme work.
Fun Workplace
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 March 2019
A very nice place to work at. Management was okay, but could be improved. The hours were very flexible especially for a student. However, they continued to send workers home after working 2h sometimes if they were not busy, which was not fair for some because they were travelling far and were being sent away after working a few hours.
It wasn't the worst.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 February 2019
The work itself isn't difficult, but I found the management to be not all that compromising. One day I was on shift, got very ill and threw up, I told my manager and asked if I could leave to go home, at the time I was an hour and a half, maybe two hours into my five-hour long shift. I was told no, that I had to stay. Neither I nor my parents liked that because I was 16 years old at the time. There are some other negative experiences, but there are too many for me to go into right now.
Amazing
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB30 January 2019
While I worked at DSW it was all together just an amazing experience. Everyone there is so caring and so friendly. Amazing place to work no doubt. While working there, you get to know everyone so well and just be able to be surrounded by great people and always be in a good mood while working there. 10/10 recommend working here and would go back in a heart beat.
Pros
People
Cons
Terrible management and even worse employees...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 January 2019
When I worked at DSW I was so excited, the first few weeks were amazing, but once problems began to arise, management didn't really do anything--and I'm not speaking for other locations, because I've heard from others that other locations are well organized and quite civilized. Meanwhile, where I worked, it was basically a blood bath, everyone was in cliques/groups, and gossiped about eachother... it wasn't even pleasant to work there anymore, so I had to leave.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Stressful environment, not enough hours
Management is the worst
Store Associate/Store Opening Team (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2019
They only allow certain people on cash. While others hustle all day cleaning up the aisles. They don't know how to divide the work fairly. So many people come into the store look at shoes, but not all of them buy shoes. People in the aisles are constantly working and people in cash are just standing waiting for customers. And, its all about kissing up to your managers to get more hours. Before I would get 30+ hours a week, later I would get 3 hours a week. I don't know how it is there now (hopefully better) but when I worked there, it was awful. My coworkers were nice though, management was a joke.
Pros
only the coworkers
Cons
managers, assistant managers
Designer Shoe Warehouse
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON9 January 2019
First we call our customers shoe lovers which shows that each Shoelover is important in our store. A typical day at work would order fulfillment also known as web orders which I do on a daily basis when I work. Another thing I do at my workplace is help out Shoelovers and I also have three and a half years of cash and retail experience. I learned how to deal with different types of situations in a proper manner. The management from the beginning was not good because I was always afraid to go to work because I did not know what to expect or if they would yell at me for no reason but now the management is amazing because the management we have now they know exactly what they are doing and they are teaching as so well. Workplace culture is perfect everyone is so nice and they help each other out which I love about the workplace. The hardest part is that there are some situations that can bring you down but you know that management will always be there to back you up no matter what. The most enjoyable part of the job is the environment and the management because they are very diverse and if you have any questions they will always be there to support.
Pros
free lunches, amazing management
Cons
hours, travelling
Team oriented
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON21 December 2018
Teamwork is how this store runs which is nice. Management is very nice, caring, and understanding. Other employees are kind and always willing to give a helping hand.
‘sole’ sucking
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Alberta29 November 2018
All they care about is selling. Their idea of ‘great customer service’ is extremely off-putting to actual customers - people don’t want to be greeted 4-5 times in one visit but we HAVE to do it as part of their ‘here for you’ training. Customers just want to shop, if they want help they’ll ask but no, employees MUST pester customers at every chance to SELL SELL SELL! I’ve never felt so restricted in what I can do to ACTUALLY help customers; if we don’t have their size we have to tell them ‘we can order it’ and they can wait 5-7 days and pay before trying on, instead of letting them know that the other location down the road carries what they need (which is more convenient for the customer and much appreciated) because we MUST RETAIN SALES IN OUR STORE. We can’t even call another location and put an item on hold for them because apparently that takes one person away from the sales floor for ‘too long’ aka they lose 5-10mins of potential SELLING TIME. The overall selection of shoes is poor, missing major on-trend brands and styles - instead carrying very average, boring ugly styles. Even the few popular brands they carry like Nike, Adidas, Vans, UGGs are extremely limited and lacking the specific on-trend styles. The dress code for female staff is ridiculous while the guys get to wear whatever they want. You can’t have your water bottle with you, instead it must stay in a locked room in the back which means if you work short shifts without a break, you can’t drink anything all shift. I thought this would be a pretty relaxed mall job that I could do for supplemental income as  more... a student, but the amount of stress just isn’t worth it. You’re watched like a hawk to ensure you hound customers constantly, and you cannot stop moving. There’s constant pacing and mindless straightening of display shoes for hours on end. New staff get stuck on the same section of the sales floor every single shift for about a month. When you finally get trained on cash you have to force customers to sign up for the rewards program by asking them 4 times before accepting a No (again, great customer service) Nobody really seems to enjoy working there excect the overly cheery manager who lives in a shoe bubble closed off from reality. I’m currently looking for a new job so I can leave this soul sucking pit of misery.  less
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hours of standing/pacing nonstop, minimum wage, no commission, sales are the priority not ACTUAL customer service, a dead end job
Productive fun place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON, Oakville, ON22 March 2016
A typical day of work consisted of me getting there and my manager assigns me a place to go to. Most times i work in mens, clearance, and backup cashier.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Short Lunches
Love working for DSW.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON11 March 2016
Work days are always enjoyable, shifts fly by and the environment is very welcoming and offers plenty of ability to grow and gain new experiences through customer service and sales. The managers are all very helpful and understanding and make it easy to succeed. Co-workers are reliable and easy to get along with. Hardest part of job is satisfying every customer. Most enjoyable is the various tasks and skills I perform and learn every shift.
Pros
Flexible work scheduling.
Cons
Store is sometimes slow.
Company does not uphold a healthy work enviroment
Senior Co Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2016
Company Values are not up help especially by upper management. However discount is fantastic. Benefits are great. Excellent shoe selection.
Long Hours, Little Breaks
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 January 2016
Working long shifts with only 1 x 30 minute break even if the shift is 10+ hours, management constantly couches you on items that you have no control over/ did not oversee/ did not do/ they did, constant feeling like you can never do anything right within the company
Pros
Shoonies
Cons
Very little recognition for good work
Fun workplace, but iffy management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton Mall, AB5 December 2015
A typical day at work: Go to the back, grab a headset, your name badge and clock in. Once you've clocked in you report to the manager on duty. The MOD will tell you what section of the store you have. So for your eight hour shift you walk up and down the same four aisles asking customers for help.
What I learned from working this job over two months is that people are rude. I learned that you can't make everyone happy, you can't help everyone(as much as your manager will tell you that you can, you can't). I learned that you shouldn't take a job that you will not end up liking a couple months down the road.
Management was iffy. Some managers were absolutely fantastic and others, not so much. The good managers made the eight hours of walking around seem like an hour. The other managers made it very difficult to work there. Racist comments to some employees made it very hard for me to stay, because I knew things were being said and I couldn't stand up to it because I was the "new girl" and talking back could've lost me my job. Also, some managers were very pushy and had little to no trust that you were doing your job when in fact, you were.
The co-workers I had were absolutely great. Some of the nicest individuals I have ever met. They were very down to earth people. I have gotten to know many of them on a personal level and got to talk to them outside of work.
Hardest part of the job would definitely be pleasing the more "difficult" managers. Also, walking around for eight hours in the same section of the store.
Most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with
  more... some really great, hard-working individuals.  less
Cons
Long hours, some difficult management, repetitive tasks
N/a
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 November 2015
I am looking forward for management position to learn more like I learn from Walmart Canada and Dollarama I learn management skills from previous retail companies.