Designer Brands Inc.

Designer Brands Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 541 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,320 reviews

Always something to do at your own pace

I enjoyed being able to do a bit of everything in a store such as cashier, assisting customers, and working in stock. The hours were flexible to accomodate to a student's schedule as a part-time sales associate.

Pros

Stores are rewarded for hard work with food

Cons

Locations vary on how well they do

Below minimum wage and too much work

Not flexible for work and life. Works you to the ground unless you're management and doesn't give you a fair wage. No fifteen minute breaks for five hours.

Pros

Nothing was free including snacks.

Cons

5 hours no breaks and 1 half hour break for 8 hours

Can be a fun work place if management wasn’t so crazy

I got a job at DSW because I was trying to move away from cash duties at my other I stated in my interview I was not looking for a cash position within 2 days of being on I was “trained” as a cashier since then it’s been abuse from costumers and management 24/7 customers can treat you however they like and management will look the other way if you are up at cash and you aren’t getting enough VIP sign ups you are bashed on by all working supervisors and managers because there is a certain VIP percentage that if we are over for the week the managers get bonuses on their pay checks no one else who actually works on cash will get any benefits from this only the supervisors and managers there is no room to grow as an individual in a store like DSW

My coworkers were great but that’s it.

There was absolutely no room for advancement in this company. My general manger attempted to promote associates on numerous occasions, and was stopped by the district manager because they do not believe in promoting from within. This is a company that does not value reliability or their employees as a whole. Also, there was a very large emphasis put on driving loyalty, and it created a very stressful work environment at times.

Pros

30% employee discount

Cons

No room for advancement

Hyper competitive managers create hostility, not growth

My experience with this company was not an ideal experience. I was often thrown onto overnight shift work with no prior requests, made to close then open the next day although living an hour ride away made no difference to the management. No matter if you meet sales goals or gain praise from customers, management will pick you apart for standing in the wrong section, or talking to coworkers during slow times or not meeting their personal standards. This job remains the worst customer service job experience of my entire career.

Pros

compliments and good work are rewarded with a 'shoe bucks' program

Cons

erratic hours, negligent management, ignorant higher management

Very hit or miss

I wasn't always sure whether or not I should be excited to go to work, some days were great and others not so much. The management was forever changing not the people themselves but how they did there jobs you never knew what sort of environment you were walking into. Otherwise, the job itself isn't too difficult and your coworkers are a whole lot of fun it's not a bad first job but not for the long term.

Pros

Potlucks and other fun activities for coworkers

Cons

lots of pressure from managers sometimes and no breaks unless you work over 5 hours

Least favourable experience in retail.

I have worked in retail for over 15 years. Never have I been in a more toxic and damaging culture than the Sudbury Store with Loree and Kristen. This company is backwards. Avoid the Sudbury Store and their management- it’s been corrupt for years. Turnover is very high. Their store manager is bitter and has a negative outlook/mindset. They will stab you in the back, make false claims as well as gossip incessantly. The number of negative experiences I’ve heard coming out of this location is disappointing— both from former employees and former customers. The hard working part timers on the floor deserve better. To make things worse, their District Sales Manager turnover is very high as well, nothing ever truly gets accomplished in the long term.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Long hours, low wages, abusive & manipulative management

Most Unprofessional Management Ever

Do Not Work Here!!! Shocked by the unbelievable unprofessional manner of the store manager. The store has been open for 4 years and has a revolving door of staff and management BIG RED FLAGAs a brand ambassador for DSW the management of this store needs a serious overhaul and probably months of training. It is a horrible example of unprofessional behaviour left unchecked and staff just quitting to escape the backstabbing behaviour. If this is how DSW wants their stores to be managed and don’t see a problem, good luck to them because they are going to need it.

Pros

Shoe discount, friendly customers

Cons

Terrible management, outdated systems

Ok place to work

Good work life balance. Arbitrary assessment of workers and suck-ups do well. Company may not be going in the right direction. Systems are outdated.

Not worth it

It’s really not worth working here, I know people who worked for 5 years and didn’t get a raise, they only care about SLR conversion, hours aren’t reliable and the higher ups don’t care about certain stores, overall I don’t recommend working here unless you only want 10 hours a week and minimum wage, they won’t pay higher and the hours aren’t worth it even though we are severely understaffed

Pros

Nice coworkers, dress code freedom

Cons

Not enough hours, understaffed, minimum wage, not treated equally

Jobs at Designer Brands Inc.

See more jobs

Peaceful environment

Nice environment. Nice team.Love to work with each one. Good management,good training for new employees,clean ambient. Easy job for everyone.

Pros

Helpful with customers

Cons

Less hours

Productive and fun place to work at

Its fun working there I honestly enjoyed myself and would 💯% recommend it to people who are outgoing and love making people smile. Also management is super nice and very supportive and also listens to complaints and deals with them right away!

Pros

Get 30% off shoesss

good work place

It's a good place to work where you can express yourself. Good management and good people to work with. People works collaboratively and taking responsiblilty.

good workplace

The employees were friendly and work together to provide excellent customer service. It can be stressful when store gets busy during the day but the employee's hard work don't go unnoticed.

super boring, everyone puts things off for the next person

could not wait to find another job after i started working here. the air inside makes you feel like you got off an airplane by the end of a 3 hour shift. the heating/cooling is russian roulette and was almost always too hot or too cold and never a good room temperature. management is a mess and the head of the company and the managers around the city dont get along and makes the environment much worse. only get a job for them out of desperation.

Sales Associate

It was fun when there were a lot of costumers since it helped the time pass by quicker, but sometimes it would be slow. Associates have to clean up their section of the store when customers are not around and help out the "shoe lovers" find anything they need.

fun workshops

High skill work place Lots of new things to learn Fast paced work environment Good management Friendly environment Great account to work with and interact with

Fun place to work

Working here was so much fun and such a great experience! However there was one assistant manager at my store that was not very nice and he was on the bad side of a lot of the staff. and the higher up staff wouldn't listen to what we had to say....

Do not work here

If you are looking to progress in your career, do not apply here. A very stressful atmosphere, nonsensical methods of planning, and a "throw-others-under-the-bus" attitude. Capable employees are not valued, only the ones who brown-nose upper management. A very negative environment.

Productive and fun workplace with sincere co-workers

A fun workplace, most customers very nice and respectful. The co-workers are fantastic to get to know and are all amazing people. I've been here for two years and I've learned so much not only from the job but my co-workers as well.

It was great.

It was fantastic to work there. Helping people find there desired clothing item is great. When you make a person's day it makes you feel great. My collegues were quite nice and fun to be around.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Designer Brands Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement