Designer Brands Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 512 reviews matching the search See all 2,215 reviews
fast paced, competitive
Assistant Manager and Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 January 2020
competitive wages depending on sales. with great sales skills it's easy to make more than what you expect. friendly staff and management. customer service and satisfaction was a priority at all times.
Pros
improving sale skills.
Cons
wage
Happy friendly environment to work in. Great people.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 January 2020
My time spent working with designer brands have been amazing! I love my job, my boss and my coworkers. What is it they ask... do you love your job? My answer is YES! My boss at my location could not make my experience any better. I have worked a lot of places and this job definitely takes a spot in the top 2!
Great place to work!
Part Time Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 January 2020
Great place to work. Lots of room for growth, Great management team, Hours are amazing...store closes early on weekends so you can still have a life outside of work.
Chaotic environment, unethical practices, and poor management.
Store associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB13 January 2020
I worked at Designer Shoe Warehouse as a part-time associate. This was my first job and my tasks were primarily to distribute stock throughout the store, and make sales on the floor when I had time. Multiple times OHSA regulations were dismissed, and I have sustained many injuries. The new manager that took over wasn't fluent in either French nor English and therefore hindered communication.
Fun to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2020
10/10 is a great workplace to be in. The management is fantastic and always positive. Never any negative outcomes with them. The people that work there as well are just as great.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Not very busy
Great Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB11 January 2020
customer-oriented, fun place to work. Must be customer service focused to strive in this type of retail work. Nice management who looks after employees.
Manager
GENERAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON6 January 2020
Great place to work. I’ve been a manager here for about 2 years and I love my job and this company. Fast paced and fun, fair environment at all levels
Horrible workplace, very unprofessional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON6 January 2020
I worked at the shoe company for about 5 months. I was very excited to start my first part time job. my first shift was simple, do some work in the over stock and clean up. After my first shift i didnt work for another month. I signed a contract on the day of my first shift saying that i would need to work at least 15 hours a week including a weekend shift. During my time at the shoe company i never got 15 hours a week but i did work on sundays. I always went in to work if the manager called me to see if I was available and i always was. The one time i got called in to work a 4.5 hour shift and i said yes... they didnt pay me for that shift. The managers are the worst part about the job, they're unprofessional slobs. The back room is disgusting and filled with garbage to the point where you have to walk sideways. It smells horrible too!!!!! They started taking shifts away from me and only giving me the '' on call'' shifts, it was very rare that i went in to work and they needed me. Then i noticed i was no longer on the schedule. i waited a month and a half to see if I was getting a shift but nope. One of my friends who work there told me one day after his shift that they let me go. How can you fire someone and not tell them. That manager deserves to be fired, I also never did anything for her to fire me. And the same day i found out that i got fired... i found out they hired an old friend of mine who is an idiot while he works and doesn't care. I think they should get new managers who are actually qualified for that position.
Stay away
Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada2 January 2020
Toxic environment.
Stay away if you want a work/life balance.
Lots of miscommunication or unclear direction from head office.
Some great leaders but ultimately stifled but the culture and environment.
it’s an okay job depends which location and who you work with, management is kinda slow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2019
it’s very stressful and busy on weekends, you don’t get off when you’re supposed to cause of cleaning and online orders. people are cool just management make things hard
poor management
Associate (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON23 December 2019
Poor management contributes to terrible store culture. Manager leaves store to interview with other companies. Manager does not keep store up to safety standards. Manager ignores/covers up
major LP issues. Manager complains about state of retail industry. Manager consistently allows subordinate behaviour from associates and does nothing to intervene. Manager smears coworkers to upper management to protect their job.
Not enough people working for the amount of things needing to be done.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 December 2019
I worked at The Shoe Company. To be honest the people I worked with were fantastic. I There’s not really room for advancement at all. It’s a decent job for anyone in high school though. Also corporate puts way too much pressure on loyalty conversion. training is done poorly and you pretty much learn as you go. Not enough staff for the amount of things needed to be done and there was no motivation to drive sales.
Don't Expect to Keep Your Job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 December 2019
They do not have job security, and their management team does not like actually training you, just expects you to know what they should know. The job itself is boring and unproductive as well since they never promoted properly.
Reliable Company
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON15 December 2019
I've been with the Company for about 6 years and the company has been very good to me. It took me much longer to go up while other new hires were offered my current position at the same rate. But, they are equipped to help you as much as they can within their power.
Stressful job with poor management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 December 2019
I felt as though I should have made more as a supervisor at this company. I was constantly working by myself, or with one staff member who was between 14-17 years old. Management was catty and mean to all associates, and there was no proper training procedures.
Work life good balance great place to work
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 December 2019
Great work culture at Bayers Lake. Very caring management. Excellent environment. Love working here. Good customer service experience. Love love love this company and the store in Bayers Lake.
hard working place but very boring
Customer Service and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB15 November 2019
A typical day at work would proceed of me walking around the store greeting customers and the manager taking up all the work including webs and stock.
Progressive and fast paced with great people
IT Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2019
Strong knowledgeable teams and department leadership who are dedicated to success and support a culture that values associates, teamwork, and camaraderie.
Terrible work culture
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC23 October 2019
The expectations are immense and head office throws more on as the day goes, so you can never get it all done.. customer service is not the priority even though that’s what the preach. Upper management expectations are unrealistic, but they get a huge bonus and you don’t.. they only care about hitting targets and you as an employee do not matter
Typical Retail Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON22 October 2019
Working over here was nothing special. It was a very typical retail job. My managers and employees were great so it made working here a blast. But nothing out of the ordinary.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Designer Brands Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.