DeSerres

DeSerres Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Sales Associate7 reviews
Canada7 reviews
Fun place to work
A decent, fun place to work. Minimum wage, but so is most retail. Friendly atmosphere and encouraging managment. Very few problems, probably my favourite retail job I've had so far.
Pros
discounts on art supplies, creative space
Cons
minimum wage
don't expect to be appreciated
if you're lucky enough to get a good manager and good coworkers, this place could be bearable if you don't depend on it for a living.

they brag about being a family-owned business but want to be hyper corporate marketing like Starbucks, which is the exact opposite way to market to their target customers and they don't do it very well.

they are a say one thing, do another kind of place. I would not recommend long term employment here.
Cons
no benefits, no raises, min wage, hypocritical business practices, poor marketing
Fun for a bit but room for improvement
Fun store if you like art! Customers are generally great. Co-workers are great, too! Biggest problem is management, which does not value or respect their employees. Fear-based work environment coming from the top, down. Combination of no commission and minimum wage = low incentive to make big sales. Also, be prepared for only one half break for an 8.5 hour shift. So much would be improved by attitude of management, for both customer and employee experience. Not much room for advancement.

BUT! On the good side, got lots of hours!
Great company and work experience
I loved working at DeSerres! I worked with people whom I still call friends. Management was understanding, kind and flexible. When I began I didn't have a lot of knowledge beyond the art materials I used but as I worked there I was able to learn and use what I learned to help customers and myself as an artist. It was a very rewarding job!
Don't bother working here
Terrible management that fired me after I could not mop the floors with my broken wrist. I was late by one minute because I took public transportation at the time and got screamed at for that. Don't waste your time with this dump..
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything.
Productive, and lively workplace with lots of opportunities
Working at DeSerres has been a great experience, with even better staff. I enjoy every minute I'm working and embrace the job culture. The hardest part of this job would be leaving because they've accommodated my busy schedule through school.
Easy and fun work environment that works great during the school year
Work at DeSerres is fun and all the managers are easy-going and seem to hire people that are likewise. There is good communication between managers and sales associates and everyone gets along well and there are no rifts between managers or other employees. I really liked how they allow every employee to do everything. You learn to use the tills as soon as you start, and they allow you to do merchandising, stock, and many other skills so that every employee has a comprehensive knowledge of the store and how it works. It's an enjoyable place to come to, and I never dread going in to work.