DeSerres Employee Reviews

Great Place to work at!
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 April 2018
Great management and fun place to work at. There is room for advancement and room to use your skills in the workplace. Very flexible and understanding manager.
Productive, and lively workplace with lots of opportunities
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 March 2018
Working at DeSerres has been a great experience, with even better staff. I enjoy every minute I'm working and embrace the job culture. The hardest part of this job would be leaving because they've accommodated my busy schedule through school.
Product knowledge and artistic growth
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2018
Loved working at DeSerres! I was able to make great friends that all have similar artistic backgrounds as mine. We could really share our product knowledge and concil one another on different materials and techniques. The management was amazing and would listen to all consultants opinions and experience, and value all our hard work.
Pros
Creative liberties
Environnement de travail agréable
Commis d'entrepôt (Current Employee) –  montreal27 November 2017
Une journée typique chez Deserres : Faire les changement de prix de la journée, placer la marchandise des chariots, à l'entrepôt : faire les envoies pour les clients et réceptionner la marchandise.
Productive and Fun Work Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON21 October 2017
I haven't been working here long, but the vibe I got from when I started till now is that it's a happy place, where we're treated like adults (not micromanaged) and treated nicely and fairly. Both my bosses and supervisors are friendly, welcoming and inviting people who will listen to any concerns and provide great feedback on problems.

They give great hours and flexibility with scheduling. My only problem is minimum wage, but that's to be expected with a cashier position.

I would 100% recommend this workplace to anyone looking for a job.
Pros
Friendly and Caring Coworkers/Supervisors, Flexibility, Nice Break Room, Positive Workplace Culture
Cons
Minimum wage
J'ai adoré mes années pour eux
Étalagiste / Conseillère (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC11 October 2017
Mon meilleur emploi a vie, ils sont très ouvert esprit, les journée sont bien remplis et très creative.
Pros
flexible pour l'horaire
Cons
aucun
bonne experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC20 June 2017
Les jours que J'ai travaillée à Omer DeSerres, ma vraiment permis d'apprendre beaucoup de choses, sur le service à clientèle. Les personnes qui travailler avec moi était de personnes vraiment gentils et aimables ils aident beaucoup quand tu avais des questions à propos de quelque chose.
Pros
bonne ambiance
Cons
aucun point négatif
Positive environment to work
Framing Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 May 2017
Organized, positive environment, competent management.
Well structured, reasonable shifts.
Fairly competitive.
Good perspectives of career in retail.
Temporary Experience
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 February 2017
Deserres was the first work experiences I had in a retail environment and at the time it was ideal. Set work hours, positive co worker environment, encouraged training programs and constant activities to keep an associate engaged in their job.
Pros
Knowledge and exposure to art supplies and tool
Cons
Working with chemicals
A good job with good teams.
Conseiller à la vente (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 February 2017
The culture at Deserres is "the customer before everything". If you're about to cure cancer, but a customer needs to know where to find a certain pencil; you need to stop what you're doing and help them.

You need patience to work at Deserres. Customers will be rude sometimes and you need to try to keep positive and go on with your day helping other customers.

Apart from your main job: customer service, you do stocking. Often times you'll run out of space in over-stock and you'll have to find space and do some problem-solving. Same applies when you are putting products on shelves.

All-in-all, I do recommend working here. You'll get well treated as an employee and the team is great, which really makes you feel like you're a part of something.
Pros
pay-check bonuses, paid-day off on your birthday, they like students, lenient hours
Cons
need to be there on retail rushes (xmas, holloween, etc.), not a lot of guidance (need to be independant and learn about how the store works by yourself)
What a wonderful company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2017
Deserres is such a great place to work. Everyone is super nice and they encourage a work-life balance. It's a creative environment and the customers are some of the friendliest I've ever had.
Pros
Employee bonus based on store sales. Pension plan and health benefits for all positions.
Cons
Very little room to grow... everyone stays in their position because it's such a good company.
Caissière/Conseillère (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 February 2016
Étant mon premier travail, jamais on m'a spécifié ce que je devais améliorer.
Pros
Reliée au domaine des arts
Cons
Le management.
Environnement de travail agréable
Directrice adjointe (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC30 January 2016
Une entreprise en constance évolution qui nous permet de découvrir le meilleur de nous même.
Pros
équipe fantastique
Cons
assurance maladie
Salaire
Drummondville, Qc (Former Employee) –  Drummondville30 September 2015
le salaire et les heures sont trop basse pour avoir une qualité de vie
Pros
apprendre de nouveau média
Cons
certaines assistante ne sont pas à leur place
great job, great team members, wonderful products and services
Supervisor and art consultant (Former Employee) –  West Edmonton Mall25 March 2015
I loved my job and the environment I worked in. Customers and Coworkers were an absolute pleasure to work with.Every work day involved helping clients find creative solutions and products/gift ideas to take home and enjoy and share with others.I learned that our store played a huge part in helping people achieve their dreams as artists. Our assistant manager should have been head management in the store; a fantastic fun personable person who treated all his employees with respect; unfortunately I am not able to say the same for head management who demeaned and at times humiliated staff in front of coworkers and customers.The hardest part of my job were days when I worked with head management. Most enjoyable part of my job was the people I helped and seeing how excited they were to buy their art supplies. They absolutely loved our store and the pride we took in providing exceptional customer service.I have never worked at a job I enjoyed more.
Pros
great working with creative team members
Cons
upper management could brush up on interpersonal skills with staff
Very good time at DeSerres
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON3 March 2015
Overall this has been a nice company to work for. I have the autonomy to run the store very much like I am the owner. I do much of the ordering and can change prices to a certain degree. Having come from a big corporate giant at Sport Chek, it was nice to work in a family owned business. Most importantly, I took a job that was out of my comfort zone and succeeded!
Pros
Autonomy, good work/life balance
Cons
much of the staff is new to retail
Entreprise non-professionnelle
Conseillière (Former Employee) –  Drummondville14 January 2015
Je dirais que les supérieurs sont hypocrites. Le travail en général est plaisant, mais travailler quand nous nous sentons surveillés et pas appréciés parce qu'on est jeune et que la moyenne d'âge est beaucoup plus âgée, c'est ça qui fait la différence. C'était toujours plaisant de recevoir des commentaires des clients qui disaient qu'ils aimaient ton beau travail. C'était un des seuls points positifs.
Pros
Clients jovials
Cons
Ne pas se sentir aimé
Friendly
Framing consultant (Current Employee) –  Pickering ON29 July 2013
They staff at Deserres is very friendly and easy to get along with.
Easy and fun work environment that works great during the school year
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2013
Work at DeSerres is fun and all the managers are easy-going and seem to hire people that are likewise. There is good communication between managers and sales associates and everyone gets along well and there are no rifts between managers or other employees. I really liked how they allow every employee to do everything. You learn to use the tills as soon as you start, and they allow you to do merchandising, stock, and many other skills so that every employee has a comprehensive knowledge of the store and how it works. It's an enjoyable place to come to, and I never dread going in to work.