Department of Transportation and Works Employee Reviews

productive and great leaning envirnment
Engineer Technologist Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 February 2018
My summer spent at Transportation and Works was a work term experience. I was not only given the opportunity to work in the lab but I was also given a good taste of what happens in the filed.
Review
Inspection Supervisor - Eng Tech II (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL16 December 2017
Overall the staff are friendly, no room for advancement and no job security because working for the government and they're broke.

Good place too work for short period of time too understand how the government operates so that you can take your experience into the private sector.
Pros
Ability to learn new things
Cons
Pay is not enough to live on
Enjoyed the work, my office and supervisors
Storekeeper II (Former Employee) –  Clarenville, NL22 June 2017
Started as a Stockhandler, Physically receiving and checking goods/restocking shelves/filling orders for garage and units. Physically demanding and not enough help. Good relationship with fellow employees

Advanced to Storekeeper I, Did internal ordering of goods for unit garages and stock rooms using Oracle Inventory system/filling orders electronically for main garage/occasionally pick parts for mechanics.

Advanced to Storekeeper II. Estimate stock needs and order same/receipt goods into system/complete surveys for Government Purchasing/matched invoices and packing slips with Purchase Orders and certified for payment/maintained expediting procedure to ensure timely receipt of goods on order/run various reports/Problem solving as needed/act as supervisor for stockroom. Very fast pace. No immediate Supervisor for stockroom meant I was the "goto person" and required much problem solving for stockroom employees, invoice department and outside companies as well. The hardest part of the job was dealing with employees less than eager to work. The most enjoyable thing was the construction of my new office. Since a new office had to be constructed, it was built to my own specifications and even though it was an office within the stockroom it still provided a quite and clean atmosphere. I also appreciated the relationships built with my supervisors over a period of time.
Pros
Good relationship with supervisors, give and take situation
Cons
Not enough help
Poor management or a total lack of!
Peeon (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL21 June 2016
Worked there for a number of years had to quit it was killing me. The most backward screwed up place to work, or as I called it, doing time!
Pros
Weekends and holidays
Cons
Monday thru Friday
Occupational Health and Safety Student (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL27 January 2016
Spent most days putting together health and safety binders for employees. spent most of my time on the internet researching.
Good Co-op Experience
Materials Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 November 2015
This job allowed me to gain knowledge into the materials side of engineering. My supervisor was a really nice guy and more than helpful with anything I needed. Sadly, the position wasn't the most challenging but I did enjoy my time while I was there.
great place with and great people
HEAVY EQUIPMENT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Deer Lake, NL15 October 2015
a great place to work, clean, safe. and there plenty time to do the job right . lots of training , and understanding from the management. the only hard task is winter working out side when the equipment is broken down on the high way. Safety do play a big part in the task.
Pros
all over good place
Cons
but is no big pay cheque
Great people and Managers to work with
Accounting Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL14 January 2015
This is a great department in regards to the co-workers I have been lucky to have working side by side with me.
The salary and benefits are not so good, salary is low, benefits are expensive and mandatory.
There is not much chance for advancement and I could be bumped by someone with more seniority at any time.
Pros
Great people and Managers, love the work
Cons
Low salary, expensive benefits
Productive and well managed workplace.
Highway Maintenance Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Springdale, NL12 February 2014
Interesting and enjoyable workplace
Vehicle operation and maintenance
Management and employees worked very well together
The work was never hard when all employees worked together
When someone thanked you for a job well done
Good place to work a little stressfull sometimes
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  St. Anthony, NL21 April 2013
Operating heavy equipment snow clearing in winter, road maintenance in summer. Get along well with management and co-workers