Department of Justice Canada

Department of Justice Canada Employee Reviews

Canada37 reviews
Had a great manager and a dynamic lively team, great people. The atmosphere at the office really made it easier to be productive without pressuring anyone.
Working at Fines Administration, I met some of the nicest people ever. The work done is a collaborative effort as everyone impacts the work in different ways
Great for people that want job security, but not great for people that are driven by ideas and want continuous challenges. Good entry job for student.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Slow pace
It was a great job, great benefits and lots of work. The time was was excellent. I had my time there and it's time.to.move on. During my time inexperienced many terrible experienced but I have experienced good.ones too
8-4 work day. Hours were good, we were allowed to bank 30 minutes each day to use as a day off every three weeks

Pay was average, benefits were good. Pension was included which is a nice benefit. Job security was there but there is no room for advancement, such is the case with most government positions.

Work was highly confidential. I had to learn their internal software system. This was a new software for me and was interesting to work with and learn. I picked this up easily as I do with most applications.

The best part of the job was the great team of people. The worst part was some of the items I had to process and file and the high level of stress a lot of the staff carried.
Pros
Cheap meals
Cons
Toxic culture
Very poor work-life balance, lots of micromanagement . Some people really like working there, and others do not and you can tell who they are. Have to be careful how you say things or do things, people will try and blame things that aren't your fault on you so make sure you can prove you did not commit any mistakes.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Long hours, no work life balance, pension deductions extremely high
I enjoyed working here. Very supportive and friendly. Sadly there were no bridging opportunities. A fatal mistake in government. You train someone for 3 months and only provide 90 day contracts.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Solitary and routine work
I worked here for only a short 4-5 months but it's so slow and boring if it wasn't for the pay would have left sooner. not my cup of tea but I'm more of a hand on kinda guy. IT/tech are clueless i know more then they do
I love DOJ because I can expand my knowledge in my field of interest an also make new friends and connections.

My coworkers are always ready to help me troubleshoot and they are flexible with my schedule.
Work/life balance is good because work stays at work and the hours are the typical Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30. It doesn't pay students very well compared to private companies and there aren't any real benefits, but any government job is pretty secure although I don't think there's a ton of room for advancement. My boss was really really nice and relaxed but the environment is just boring and everyone kinda just makes small talk but I was younger than everyone else and wasn't there for as long.
Typical day at work is checking emails and answering correspondences. With a task that you can handle and finish within the day. Very supportive colleagues and managers. There is no easy job its a matter of dedication and willingness to learn everything. The most enjoyable part is that you know that you are learning everyday in your work, and you that in the end of the day you give your best.
Pros
Flexible time with life balance
Cons
I worked with a great team that made the whole work experience fully enjoyable. I learned a lot and whenever I had a problem, my coworkers were more than willing to provide the help and support I required to complete the task.
Very important and interesting organization with great opportunity to enhance your skills as well as establishing network and contacts. happy to have been lucky to work in their team
Pros
Important organization
Cons
sensitive
I enjoyed working with Department of Justice for the most part. Good in-house training was a good; salary/'benefits were good. No overtime unless pre-authorized, other than that hours were good, people were good and salary was good.

There is no CEO with Department of Justice so I could rate this portion of the review.
Pros
good benefits, good salary, good in-house training
Cons
Management not good at conflict resolution when it came to employees, Union was also ineffectual and pretty much useless.
Monitored free trade agreement negotiations and drafted memorandums on potential effects. Researched legal documents with the goal of modifying certain product compliance requirements to alleviate bureaucratic and legal limitations. Implemented a customer relationship software within the department to increase the efficiency of contact managements. Participated in many networking events.
April – August 2017
My time at the Department of Justice led me to where I am today. It gave me the knowledge and experience to build my career in the legal industry. It required a variety of tasks such as working in the file vault, reception and along side the Jury Coordinator.
Friendly staff and good area of work for food on breaks. Good training to ensure you are comfortable doing the work by yourself. Other co workers help if you feel overwhelmed.
Pros
good people, hours, location and training
Cons
a very busy work environment. a typical day consists of requests from Justice employees (via telephone, email or in person) for leave credits, leave types, etc. preparing staffing actions, processing payroll, helping co-workers with inquiries (team lead).
meeting regularly with management to ensure policies and procedures are followed correctly.

hardest part of job would be our year end, which is march 31, involving setting up checklists, doing file audits, providing year end balances to all 450 employees.

most enjoyable part would be getting together with co-workers for staff bbq's.
Pros
respected for doing a great job
Cons
overtime to complete heavy workloads
Working on mega complex litigation projects there is no knowing when it is going to end. There is always work to be done.

Overall I really enjoyed how I was treated during my internship. I am very grateful to everyone who contributed to my learning. Those who dealt with my mistakes and trusted me with my work.
Pros
Very good for building a career.
Cons
Very small chance of getting rich from working as a legal assistant or paralegal.
The Team was amazing. The job was great. Too bad the hours didn't allow for a good work/life balance. If the balance was there, I would likely still be there.
excellent
The work isn't difficult at all. The process have been the same forever and need to be updated.

The only way to move up is to find a new position

As a contractor, my health benefits are not great

My manager is awesome

The culture is the worst part. Contractors and fed are separated and contractors are always being watched like the federal employees are waiting to report you for something. We all work together.
Pros
tes