Department of Justice Canada Employee Reviews

Hard to take breaks and no work-life balance
Litigation Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2019
Very poor work-life balance, lots of micromanagement . Some people really like working there, and others do not and you can tell who they are. Have to be careful how you say things or do things, people will try and blame things that aren't your fault on you so make sure you can prove you did not commit any mistakes.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Long hours, no work life balance, pension deductions extremely high
Boring and barindead
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK11 April 2019
I worked here for only a short 4-5 months but it's so slow and boring if it wasn't for the pay would have left sooner. not my cup of tea but I'm more of a hand on kinda guy. IT/tech are clueless i know more then they do
Very friendly student environment
DLSU Junior technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 July 2018
I love DOJ because I can expand my knowledge in my field of interest an also make new friends and connections.

My coworkers are always ready to help me troubleshoot and they are flexible with my schedule.
Secure, but boring job
Systems Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 May 2018
Work/life balance is good because work stays at work and the hours are the typical Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30. It doesn't pay students very well compared to private companies and there aren't any real benefits, but any government job is pretty secure although I don't think there's a ton of room for advancement. My boss was really really nice and relaxed but the environment is just boring and everyone kinda just makes small talk but I was younger than everyone else and wasn't there for as long.
Fun and productive with very supportive colleagues
Legal Administrative Trainee - CR04 (Current Employee) –  840 Howe Street Vancouver British Columbia16 March 2018
Typical day at work is checking emails and answering correspondences. With a task that you can handle and finish within the day. Very supportive colleagues and managers. There is no easy job its a matter of dedication and willingness to learn everything. The most enjoyable part is that you know that you are learning everyday in your work, and you that in the end of the day you give your best.
Pros
Flexible time with life balance
An amazing experience
IT Security Student (Former Employee) –  Justice, MB22 February 2018
I worked with a great team that made the whole work experience fully enjoyable. I learned a lot and whenever I had a problem, my coworkers were more than willing to provide the help and support I required to complete the task.
Great experience
Program Coordinator/Assistant - National Adviser (Former Employee) –  Justice, Kosovo11 February 2018
Very important and interesting organization with great opportunity to enhance your skills as well as establishing network and contacts. happy to have been lucky to work in their team
Pros
Important organization
Cons
sensitive
Good Public Service Job for the legal minded individual
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  British Columbia26 January 2018
I enjoyed working with Department of Justice for the most part. Good in-house training was a good; salary/'benefits were good. No overtime unless pre-authorized, other than that hours were good, people were good and salary was good.

There is no CEO with Department of Justice so I could rate this portion of the review.
Pros
good benefits, good salary, good in-house training
Cons
Management not good at conflict resolution when it came to employees, Union was also ineffectual and pretty much useless.
good
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Justice, MB17 January 2018
Monitored free trade agreement negotiations and drafted memorandums on potential effects. Researched legal documents with the goal of modifying certain product compliance requirements to alleviate bureaucratic and legal limitations. Implemented a customer relationship software within the department to increase the efficiency of contact managements. Participated in many networking events.
April – August 2017
Lots of opportunity to branch out and grow
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 December 2017
My time at the Department of Justice led me to where I am today. It gave me the knowledge and experience to build my career in the legal industry. It required a variety of tasks such as working in the file vault, reception and along side the Jury Coordinator.
Friendly people
Records Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Justice, MB26 October 2017
Friendly staff and good area of work for food on breaks. Good training to ensure you are comfortable doing the work by yourself. Other co workers help if you feel overwhelmed.
Pros
good people, hours, location and training
Cons
an awesome place to work with great co-workers
Human Resource Analyst (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU13 October 2017
a very busy work environment. a typical day consists of requests from Justice employees (via telephone, email or in person) for leave credits, leave types, etc. preparing staffing actions, processing payroll, helping co-workers with inquiries (team lead).
meeting regularly with management to ensure policies and procedures are followed correctly.
hardest part of job would be our year end, which is march 31, involving setting up checklists, doing file audits, providing year end balances to all 450 employees.
most enjoyable part would be getting together with co-workers for staff bbq's.
Pros
respected for doing a great job
Cons
overtime to complete heavy workloads
Hardest part of the job
PARALEGAL - Internship (Former Employee) –  Justice, MB13 September 2017
Working on mega complex litigation projects there is no knowing when it is going to end. There is always work to be done.

Overall I really enjoyed how I was treated during my internship. I am very grateful to everyone who contributed to my learning. Those who dealt with my mistakes and trusted me with my work.
Pros
Very good for building a career.
Cons
Very small chance of getting rich from working as a legal assistant or paralegal.
Great Team
Ministerial Driver (Current Employee) –  Justice, MB1 September 2017
The Team was amazing. The job was great. Too bad the hours didn't allow for a good work/life balance. If the balance was there, I would likely still be there.
Department of Justice is excellent place to work , but my Job was contract
Receptionist II (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2017
excellent
The work isn't difficult at all. The process have been the same forever and need to be updated.

The only way to move up is to find a new position

As a contractor, my health benefits are not great

My manager is awesome

The culture is the worst part. Contractors and fed are separated and contractors are always being watched like the federal employees are waiting to report you for something. We all work together.
Pros
tes
Justice Canada
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 May 2017
I enjoyed working at Justice Canada, and would love to work there again. I was a casual employee and during my contract, met a lot of amazing people, learned a lot and would recommend anyone interested to work for Justice Canada!
Great colleagues
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT3 May 2017
Good colleagues and interesting work. Obviously important work being done, even if at times you get stuck with the slower stuff. I enjoyed my time there significantly.
Easy to get to
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2017
I shifted files on shelves to make room for others. Emptied boxes of files onto shelves in alphabetical order. Pulled various files and packed them for destruction.
Great Place to work
Manger (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2017
I really enjoyed working here, the people were great and always willing to help others out. Also the work life balance is fantastic I would recommend working here to people.
Pros
people I worked with
Very demanding, fast paced environment
Manager of Judgment Enforcement (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL29 September 2016
There was never a typical day at the Sheriffs Office. As Manager of Judgment Enforcement, there were 7 support staff and four Deputy Sheriffs under my section. Responsibilities included enforcing money judgments, which was creditor driven, as well as service of the criminal and civil process and jury administration. Also, responsible for executing court orders. A very fast paced and stressful environment at times.

One of the most difficult tasks as Manager of Judgment Enforcement, was dealing with debtors who were being evicted from rental properties or debtors who were losing their homes.

As Manager, I was also responsible for the administration of the Jury Program and enjoyed that part of the Court process.
Pros
Clients receiving monies owed to them.
Cons
Debtors finding themselves in debt through hardship.