Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews

Don't
Human Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SC5 December 2018
Work becomes routine. They unleashed cases on a daily basis. Your are working against systems and micromanaged. Wage gap is unbelievable. Currently seeking employment elsewhere
great people to work with
Lobby Assistant (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MD4 December 2018
great people to work with
competitive
management is understanding and great
workplace culture is fair
job gets overwhelming at times seeing the people in need/hard to see
helping people
Pros
free lunches and I can accrue leave
Cons
only on contract and no paid holidays
Nothing to say
Compliance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MD1 December 2018
I dont much to say about any of the jobs I have worked for. I am writing this review because it is required by indeed. I didnt find much enjoyable about the jobs.
Fulfilling job, administrative is corrupt
Permanency Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Bangor, ME29 November 2018
Hard job, fulfilling job, the administration is not very good and not based on work performance but who you are friends with. A lot of work and need good organizational skills
Supervisors were dishonest
Criminal Background Unit Investigator (Former Employee) –  Administrative Assistant25 November 2018
People spent many hours gossiping about other employees and not all employees were held to the same standard. Supervisor was sexist and work was not appreciated.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Skipped breaks and lunches and supervision was lacking
Job Development
Case Management Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC15 November 2018
Typical Workday: 9am until 5pm
I learned to appreciate diversity
Management has their favorites
Culture varies from day to day depending on the mood of the leadership team
Over worked and under paid
Medical Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC13 November 2018
This is a good place for someone who doesn’t need the job to be there sole sorce or income. I don’t have anything else to say about this at this time.
Pros
Not working weekends
Cons
Short lunches
The environment
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC12 November 2018
It was good money and the hours were flexible. The employees were friendly and I loved the fact I had weekends off. I wish the contract had made me permanent.
Pros
Good staff and money
Cons
Not a permanent guarantee
Decent work environment, co-workers, and supervisors but low pay.
Family Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NH10 November 2018
A typical day at work consisted of Interviewing clients, managing my caseload which included between 700-850 clients, and answering customer service calls from client's and other agencies. I learned various State and Federal Policies and Procedures about state and federal benefits and how to interview client's in a one-on-one environment both over the phone and in person. Our management team make themselves available for any questions or complicated problems. They advocate for their workers during ever during constant policy changes and procedural changes. For the most part you work independently, however having a statewide caseload allows co-workers to work on eachother's caseloads; which is done on a regular basis. The hardest part of the job is keeping track of all the changes that occur to our policies and procedures. You must remain organized and maintain current documentation of all changes. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people and providing the best customer service possible.
Pros
Job security, helping people
Cons
low pay
I was sequestered
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC9 November 2018
It was an honor to be chosen as a Project Manager on the Affordable Care Act process, but when I found out there were issues I was released from duty and I think that is enough to say about that.
It was work
ADMIN II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX8 November 2018
The newer manager did not like me. She denied me from going up (a job)in the office due to the fact (only one person) was filing, and behind on the issue. It was a hostel work place as well, my manager's boss refused to do anything about it.
My Manager was second to none, very encouraging and supportive!
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  ACF - Chicago, IL5 November 2018
My overall employment with DHS was better than my expectations. The Manager was very helpful and empowering. Appreciative of the many teachable moments created.
Pros
Great Management and diverse duties and lots of teachable opportunities created.
Cons
Contractual
Pruductive
Agency Budget Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD5 November 2018
The company is government and is good to work for. I am working contractually but is looking for permanent employment. Bu being a government agency you must be famI liar with state regulations and statutes.
Health and Human Services
Mental Health Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NE4 November 2018
The job with brutal, hard to deal with patients, add on stress of everyday responsibility. Stress was the word that glue to your mind everyday. You don't know what you're dealing with everyday, whether you will have a bad or good day.
Pros
Brutal work, stressful
Cons
redirectional care
Nice place to work and people are great
IT Procurement (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MD1 November 2018
Good work balance environment. Team members work well together. Management is very easy to talk too. Benefits are very affordable and work well for my family.
Great Memories
Health Facilities Surveyor Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NE28 October 2018
Love every minutes of it and more. Great team to work with and never dull. Love the travel all over Nebraska and my team members were awesome and caring.
Pros
Plenty
Cons
Like the flexible schedule offered.
Accounting Technician III (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NC24 October 2018
Company on a whole is great organization, the team is a great group too. I enjoyed the work I do and I like being able to working a flexible schedule.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Micromanagement
Program Analyst/Procurement Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OH3 October 2018
Good place to work. Nice staff, good work life balance.
Good benefits, retirement plan, health insurance, life insurance, dental and vision.

Opportunities for advancement.
Happy to have gained significant expirience
Leave Coordinator (Current Employee) –  College Park, MD29 August 2018
Provide customer service, manage medical leave/absences, workers compensation/job injuries. FML, ADA and OSHA. Document case record and make recommendation for corrective actions.
My department is great, but overall management is terrible
Medical Records Assistant (Current Employee) –  Danville, PA11 July 2018
Higher up management is terrible, causing very low morale. Patients are continuously attacking staff. There seems to be no communication between management and workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Health and Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.