Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews

Typical bureaucratic nightmare
Human Services Enforcement Agent (Former Employee) –  Portland, ME11 February 2019
Not for even double the salary would I return to this department. Low pay, immense and unmanageable workload, overseen by generally inept management appointed through pure cronyism.
Pros
Schedule is 8 am to 5 pm with weekends off
Cons
Poor management determined by cronyism, little to no advancement opportunities, large unmanageable never ending workload, overly bureaucratic even simple task made complex to complete.
its a job not a career
Social Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE26 January 2019
It was a job not a career. worked with processing clients benefits for the state of Nebraska.
Obtain the information from the client, made sure the information was correct, update the client file, processed the budgets to see if they qualified for benefits. if so then issued the benefits out.
Pros
work indoors and guaranteed 40 hr weeks
Cons
hard to move up the ranks
Decent work environment, co-workers, and supervisors but low pay.
Family Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NH10 November 2018
A typical day at work consisted of Interviewing clients, managing my caseload which included between 700-850 clients, and answering customer service calls from client's and other agencies. I learned various State and Federal Policies and Procedures about state and federal benefits and how to interview client's in a one-on-one environment both over the phone and in person. Our management team make themselves available for any questions or complicated problems. They advocate for their workers during ever during constant policy changes and procedural changes. For the most part you work independently, however having a statewide caseload allows co-workers to work on eachother's caseloads; which is done on a regular basis. The hardest part of the job is keeping track of all the changes that occur to our policies and procedures. You must remain organized and maintain current documentation of all changes. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people and providing the best customer service possible.
Pros
Job security, helping people
Cons
low pay
The pay is great
Benefits /Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI29 December 2018
Honestly, the pay Is so good that it's hard to leave. The environment is toxic and the management aren't honest or good people. They are very cut throat and create a hostile work environment. It's disheartening. The clients that we serve deserve so much more.
Pros
great money, benefits
Cons
You trade your health and quality of life for $
I enjoyed helping my clients and working with my peers.
INTAKE/ONGOING WORKER (Former Employee) –  Flint, MI21 December 2018
A typical day began by running morning reports to determine what pending applications needed to be addressed first and then how else to prioritize the rest of the morning. Messages were retrieved and returned. Walk-ins were seen as required, as were training attended or done online. Prior employment with the State covered time period of 4/15/81-7/8/81 when laid off. Called back 8/28/83-8/28/86 left and relocated to St Louis MO Returned 8/28/89 and retired 8/27/18 . There has been a steady decline in management support of the staff whenever there were problems with clients. This statement is not made lightly but based on over 30+years of experience. This was often the hardest part of the job. When a worker has policy to back up decisions made and then management doesn't back the worker because the client calls and complains repeatedly this is very discouraging for workers. For myself, knowing that I made my clients happy, made me happy. The fact that it also satisfied the goals' the State had for me as far as job performance was almost secondary.
Pros
Insurance benefits, ability to help people
Cons
Lack of management backup/appreciation. Undue/unfair stress
Stressful environment
Disability Examiner (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC18 December 2018
They do not account for time off. Whether it's vacation or sick time, you are expected to do the same amount of work if you were actually there. The management makes promises and statements they do not carry through on.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Management sucks
Program Analyst/Procurement Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OH3 October 2018
Good place to work. Nice staff, good work life balance.
Good benefits, retirement plan, health insurance, life insurance, dental and vision.

Opportunities for advancement.
Service Specialist
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MI16 February 2019
SOM is a great employer. The benefits are also great. Your day can change with a phone call. You have to be flexible and have a willingness to be open to an ever changing environment. The work is hard, but can be very rewarding. Your colleagues will become your best allies.
Pros
Hours, benefits, collaborative workplace.
Cons
Not enough resources to meet the needs of the community.
no training
Staff Supervisor / Youth and Family Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NE4 January 2019
No training provided but the expectation is for you to "learn as you go" yet there is no one to guide you doing so. When asked for assistance co-workers were very unfriendly and told you to figure it out yourself.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no training
Nice place to work and people are great
IT Procurement (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MD1 November 2018
Good work balance environment. Team members work well together. Management is very easy to talk too. Benefits are very affordable and work well for my family.
Happy to have gained significant expirience
Leave Coordinator (Current Employee) –  College Park, MD29 August 2018
Provide customer service, manage medical leave/absences, workers compensation/job injuries. FML, ADA and OSHA. Document case record and make recommendation for corrective actions.
Worked at the State level
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Lunas, NM7 June 2018
I worked for the State of NM Department of Health and Human Services. In my specific capacity with this agency it was hit and miss. All in all, working for a government organization has huge perks. However, in New Mexico, there was a lot of nonsense. What with coordinators at the agency giving some preferential treatment for family, and it went unpunished when reported. With that said, I received amazing health benefits and still a fair share of advancement opportunities.
Pros
Advancement, great skills to bring to the private sector, and it's government work!
Cons
In my experience in NM, there's a lot of favoritism and stepping over people.
great people to work with
Lobby Assistant (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MD4 December 2018
great people to work with
competitive
management is understanding and great
workplace culture is fair
job gets overwhelming at times seeing the people in need/hard to see
helping people
Pros
free lunches and I can accrue leave
Cons
only on contract and no paid holidays
Productive and stressful at times, had fun at times, I loved my jobs, had a very good work mates where it was easy to discuss.
Advanced child protection practitioner (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC21 December 2018
Generally busy schedule. Had to do lots of planning.Everyday learnt new things within work place.Management was supportive. Culture was excellent. Hardest part was when there are disagreements between workers.
Most enjoyable was when doing home visits.
Pros
Small get togethers
Cons
Working late hours alone
Job Development
Case Management Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC15 November 2018
Typical Workday: 9am until 5pm
I learned to appreciate diversity
Management has their favorites
Culture varies from day to day depending on the mood of the leadership team
Peer Reviewer - Contractual
Federal Grant Reviewer (Peer Reviewer) (Current Employee) –  Remote28 March 2018
I only work for them up to three times a year as a Peer Reviewer for some of the grants they offer. I do not have experience with the work culture, benefits, etc.
Get ready for stress!!
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI20 December 2018
People are complaining as soon as they walk in the door. It is very cliquish. A great amount of bullying. Constant threat of being fired. Hostile. Not
Pros
Making money
Cons
Office snitches.
Over worked and under paid
Medical Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NC13 November 2018
This is a good place for someone who doesn’t need the job to be there sole sorce or income. I don’t have anything else to say about this at this time.
Pros
Not working weekends
Cons
Short lunches
Deepartment of health
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Titusville, FL29 March 2018
Great employer if you want part time. Schedule is compatible if you have school age children. Pay is ok but as part time and no benefits or PTO is its biggest downfall its second is that you are On call during natural disasters/ hurricanes to work shelters.
Overall I liked working for the Department of Health and Human Services
OFFICE ASSISTANT I (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CA22 January 2019
A typical day at work was very fast-paced.
I learned that management can be disorganized.
It is very easy to communicate with supervisors and the Department of Health and Human Services is very flexible.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the fast paced environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and becoming a part of the work place family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Health and Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.