Department of Health and Human Services Employee Reviews

Program Analyst/Procurement Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OH3 October 2018
Good place to work. Nice staff, good work life balance.
Good benefits, retirement plan, health insurance, life insurance, dental and vision.

Opportunities for advancement.
Work place
Administrative Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD18 September 2018
I really enjoy my job and the people I work with, however there is very little opportunity for growth within departments and receiving raises is very rare.
Happy to have gained significant expirience
Leave Coordinator (Current Employee) –  College Park, MD29 August 2018
Provide customer service, manage medical leave/absences, workers compensation/job injuries. FML, ADA and OSHA. Document case record and make recommendation for corrective actions.
Passionate Advocates Preserve the Social Safety Net
Communications Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD26 July 2018
The Maryland Department of Human Services provides a vast array of services and support in connection with vulnerable communities.

From temporary cash assistance to SNAP benefits, foster care placement to the collection of child support, the staff at M-DHS is committed to making a difference for people needing assistance.

There are opportunities to grow with the agency by participating in the Leadership Development Initiative (LDI), or applying for tuition reimbursement programs and the like.

MDThink is a cutting edge project that will put the state of Maryland in the forefront as a portal for those needing an array of social services.
Pros
Strong public service commitment and advocacy for those in need.
Cons
Wages less competitive than private sector.
Poor Treatment
Family Investment Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MD20 July 2018
Overload of work and very insufficient salary. A typical day is stressful with lack of Team work and appraisal. The hardest part about working here is daily work being overloaded and consistently staying after hours free of charge just to play caught up. I have attained my A.S and B.S and currently making $30,000 with The State of Maryland.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
Overworked and Insufficient pay
Stable with limited growth
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD13 July 2018
Allows you the stability to raise your family but provides limited growth. The best part of my job is helping the citizens of Maryland.The hardest part is the lack of opportunity. Most employees stay until retirement therefore there are limited management or supervisor positions available.
My department is great, but overall management is terrible
Medical Records Assistant (Current Employee) –  Danville, PA11 July 2018
Higher up management is terrible, causing very low morale. Patients are continuously attacking staff. There seems to be no communication between management and workers.
I would rather not comment.
Auditor GS 9 (Current Employee) –  Worthington, OH14 June 2018
I would rather not comment. I did not have an enjoyable experience with this agency. I don't fully agree with their business practices. That's why I'm looking for new employment.
lots of home visits and follow up work
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Warm Springs, OR12 June 2018
exploring the life o native americans on reservation environment; dealing with mental health and substance abuse issues; serving on child abuse and elder abuse teams.
Pros
independent work style
Worked at the State level
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Lunas, NM7 June 2018
I worked for the State of NM Department of Health and Human Services. In my specific capacity with this agency it was hit and miss. All in all, working for a government organization has huge perks. However, in New Mexico, there was a lot of nonsense. What with coordinators at the agency giving some preferential treatment for family, and it went unpunished when reported. With that said, I received amazing health benefits and still a fair share of advancement opportunities.
Pros
Advancement, great skills to bring to the private sector, and it's government work!
Cons
In my experience in NM, there's a lot of favoritism and stepping over people.
The mission is important to the most vulnerable
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD1 June 2018
Many lessons learned from working at DHS. The workforce is committed to service and dedicated to assisting the children and families of Maryland most in need.
Great work schedule and interesting work.
Consumer Product Safety Commission (Former Employee) –  Hope, AR27 May 2018
Great people used for training and development. The group is outstanding for what they do and they heiarchys actually treat you as a friend to create a nice wellbeing
Pros
Work at your own time
Cons
Work every day
Talking to many people
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NM19 May 2018
Its fun would love to make it my career. Got a long with clients very well. Learned a lot of stuff I did not know I knew. Getting up really excited to go to work
Pros
Weekend off
Cons
N/a
Bad place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NM16 May 2018
They are a very stressful place and the training is horrible! They expect you to know everything in one day. I personally hated working there. I would go home in a bad mood everyday because of the job.
no work
Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rogers, AR9 May 2018
Hardly any work and most nights didn't do anything. Good people worked there but there's really nothing else to say about this place. It was not a positive experince
Deepartment of health
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Titusville, FL29 March 2018
Great employer if you want part time. Schedule is compatible if you have school age children. Pay is ok but as part time and no benefits or PTO is its biggest downfall its second is that you are On call during natural disasters/ hurricanes to work shelters.
Peer Reviewer - Contractual
Federal Grant Reviewer (Peer Reviewer) (Current Employee) –  Remote28 March 2018
I only work for them up to three times a year as a Peer Reviewer for some of the grants they offer. I do not have experience with the work culture, benefits, etc.
Productive fast-paced work environment
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CA23 February 2018
Satisfactory environment to work in. Good supervisors, co-workers were positive and hard workers. Team playing was an essential characteristic of this work environment.
A Place to Work
Interim Assistance Reimbursement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD6 February 2018
It’s a job. Don’t have much else to say about it. It is good and bad with any job. Some supervisors are good and some are not. Some managers will help you to reach your professional goals and others will try to hurt you.
Pros
Downtown
Cons
Near Lexington market, open air drug market
Extremely stressful
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, AR18 January 2018
Extremely Stressful, cut throat. Management sits by and watches with a "blind eye". It is a revolving door and will always bee due to the managers.Court involvement is not dependent on the case-manger report but the attorney of the state.
Pros
Make a difference in a child's life.
Cons
Court, Climate of the office, Manager, foster homes and political gain

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Health and Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Department of Health and Human Services Reviews by Job Title