Dentons Employee Reviews

Respectful and great atomosphere - very friendly and amazing staff.
Meeting Room Co-Coordinator/Switchboard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2018
Denton's taught me how to be a great host and provide our clients with the best experience possible. I was able to observe the preparation with meetings and questioning with clients. I observed and assisted preparation for these meetings and help organize any services required. I enjoyed working in the Legal Industry and was so intrigued and wanted to learn more. This job is why I went back to school hoping I could pursue a career in this field.
excellent firm
Paralegal, Litigation (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 July 2018
I have nothing but good comments regarding this firm. It is well managed and lawyers and supervisors and management are respectful of one another to a fault
Central Services
Central Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2018
Great environment to be in. People are encouraging and helpful. Assisted in the administrative work and archiving. Polished up time management and organizational skills along with communication and teamwork skills.
Unfulfilling environment with helicopter management
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2018
Though I thoroughly enjoy my coworkers and peers, I must say that working at Dentons leaves... more to be desired. Little to no room for internal advancement and management that is incapable of allowing their subordinates to work independently doesn't seem to bother the top 5% of the company - while long time employees have their benefits slashed, the fatcats remain, well, fat.
Pros
This job keeps me from being homeless.. barely.
Cons
No advancement opportunity, little respect for service depts.
Great people good work
Central Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2018
Though the work I did was basic, the people were always friendly and encouraging and easy to approach. The job itself never pushed you too far and only asked for reasonable work for reasonable pay.
Work you to the bone and give you nothing in return
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Toronto9 March 2018
Dentons is only interested in their public image and the dollar. Management is dysfunctional. Dentons is growing so fast, yet is not hiring more staff to support. On the flip side, teams are getting smaller and much more productivity is expected. You can work as hard as you want, you will not be rewarded. Bonuses and raises here are so low, it's like a sad joke.
Pros
People, flexibility, good location
Cons
Poor morale, extremely low raises and bonuses, long hours, bad management, no room for growth, poor communication, outdated technology, no appreciation
Simple - just stay away.
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto21 February 2018
There are a number of other law firms with a better culture, work/life balance, salary grid, etc. The morale is low, management does little to combat that, partners are selfish and there is little to no mentoring.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention
Enjoyed the congenial atmosphere of Dentons.
Executive/Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2018
My most typical day at work is attending to my 2 boss' calendar and addressing immediate tasks and deliverables ie: email, calendar, documents that require printing; creating, editing documents.
HR team is very approachable. The team I worked with were cohesive, approachable and helpful. The overall culture is congenial.
Pros
lunch and learns; social events
Cons
nothing really
Management Focused Leadership
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2017
Encourages a very us vs. them environment between lawyers and staff (all non-lawyers).
There is a lot of superfluous confidentiality under the guise of privacy and no practices or policies to support business continuity with redacted information.
Pros
A lot of resources and nice looking offices.
Cons
Staff is replaceable.
Worse mistake ever - working at this firm
Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
I should have read reviews before ever applying/accepting a job with this company.
My advice to anyone - READ the reviews, they're dead on. The only thing I can say positive about it, the pay is half decent but certainly not worth the stress. I left voluntarily, but the turn around was unbelievable in the short time I was there. Run!
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
To many to list
Good pay; terrible workplace
Legal assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2017
The pay and benefits were very good; the job was not worth it. HR is unsupportive (they fired the best IT guy ever because he wanted to go home - Australia - for a wedding) and socialization between support staff is discouraged with the exception of facilitated gatherings by a "social committee" which seem more like a management play-date. Staff are treated replaced constantly and the majority of partners are horrible to work for.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
A drone-like corporate culture
Don't Bother ...
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2017
Overall the people are very nice. The firm is focused on growth but not supporting the infrastructure of the firm. Needs to boost employee morale which is very low. Technology is very outdated and inadequate to perform your job efficiently.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Management needs an overhaul from top down
Enterprise Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2017
Good place to work if you keep low profile,
good money
no bonus for stuff
Lots of good places around
good for the person leaves in downtown Toronto..
Pros
Big place
Cons
Poor culture
Ticking time bomb
Lawyer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2017
Perceived externally as a growing force in the legal market, it is the largest law firm in the world.. "disrupting the industry". Unfortunately, internally we all seem to think it's a ticking time bomb waiting to implode. Nearly zero effort from management for internal growth of lawyers or staff, lots of overtime, no appreciation. Employees no longer care about the number of mergers or acquisitions - they keep their heads down hoping to not get made redundant
Pros
People
Cons
Management, Policies, Working hours, Engagement, Growth opportunity
High Energy Workplace in the Energy Group.
Senior Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 March 2017
I enjoyed working in a fast paced environment with fantastic individuals in the Energy Group Department. The law firm is an international law firm with offices across five (5) continents; Canada, USA, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
Pros
Organized staff events.
Cons
None.
Working you to the bare bones
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2017
Everything from the onset makes it seem like this worlds largest law firm is the best place to be. The only thing is if you speak up, you are looked down upon and if you have good ideas or disagree with management you are asking for trouble.
The work can be challenging and rewarding, but the amount of overtime and little appreciation leaves little to the worker.
Pros
the people
Cons
long hours, little advancement, bad management
Most stressful place to work
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
Do not even consider working for this company as a legal assistant. They'll take you for all you've got and the pay is poor. The management does not care about you and the HR department does not do anything.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Very bad systems
Dentons Canada LLP
Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dentons4 August 2016
Since becoming Dentons Canada LLP in 2013 the employee morale has suffered substantially. Every day the staff are reminded of the inherent hierarchy that exists between staff and the lawyers. There is a 'them' and 'us' attitude. Slowly over the last 3 years we have witnessed benefits being removed and pay raises being very low.
IT - Ok place to work
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
Coming from Customer Service, Dentons was great but there's virtually no room for advancement. It's a place to go and work. As a Technical Analyst the job pays the minimum for the city, but says it's the top of what they're willing to pay.
It's a job, with security and good benefits though.
Work Hard and Pray You Don't Get Fired
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 April 2016
This firm is all talk - pumping up their public image. The workplace culture is all about throw your fellow employees under the bus in order to gain favour with Management. A very unfriendly and unteamwork-like workplace. They are all about hiring low paid staff and keeping them down. A revolving door workplace. There is little respect shown for the staff. Unfortunately, the large recent mergers in the past year or so have diluted the core values of the firm. My advice would be to run - and look elsewhere.
Pros
Very few
Cons
Low Salary, Unfriendly work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dentons. Our community is ready to answer.

Dentons Reviews by Location