Dentons

Dentons Employee Reviews

Canada36 reviews
I worked there for over 19 years and enjoyed most of my time there as it was an exciting, ever changing workplace that afforded plenty of opportunities for advancement and continuous learning. However, the workplace culture and national versus local decision making process changed enough that I no longer was a good fit so ultimately chose to leave the company.
Pros
Good salaries
Cons
Management attitude and treatment of staff
Even though I was there on contract, they treated me like a full time employee. I was included in all social functions and other events put on by the firm.
I was a intern at one of Dentons' offices in Canada and it was a delightful experience working there; great colleagues; insightful practice meetings; collegial environment
- everyone is miserable
- expensive benefits which have been slashed over the years

- only care about numbers, not the people.

- Management is out to get you the first chance they get.

- Pay is way below market value.

- They don't hire real talent anymore, just hire whoever walks through the door for "growth" and expect assistants to train peers, clerks, and lawyers for zero extra pay.

- Never once witnessed internal advancement, they always hire eexternally
This place is decent to work in if your desperate for money, but I was hired as a boardroom attendant for 6 months. I quit today. In that position title they should
also put housekeeper because literally on top of a busy day with meetings you have to go clean the servers of staff dishes they eat off and there Tupperware, and if you clean it up there will be one jack off that comes and puts a dirty fork in the sink instead of doing the decent thing and wash it. Staff member told me it’s all to fill there own egos. Then they will offer over overtime but no time and a half, so you could be there until 11 pm. They give you a taxi chit but you get taxed up the nostrils. This job was not what I expected. Oh and if there are crumbs on the boardroom chairs or carpet you have to clean it, no cleaners to do it. . This is one of the biggest law firms. Stay away from this place. Decent staff for a law firm but that position is over worked, under paid and your treated like a slave for people that are suppose to be educated and who make you feel your beneath themtop of busy meetings you have to stock the servers and get this wash grown adults dishes they eat off, Tupperware. They don’t even have the decency tothrown the cereals they eat in the trash next to them put leave it in the sink for you to clean up. There
Pros
Food
Cons
Slave to educated goof balls
You work way too hard for the money. They keep merging with other firms in other countries to grow their name but it leaves assistants just overworked, unsupported and fully taken advantage of.
Cons
No money
Management is not cognitive or able to provide staff support for effective client relationships.
Unhealthy work environment saturated in low morale, toxic senior staff and oblivious management.
Pros
Always met new people due to continual huge staff turnover
Cons
HR dept is unresponsive to staff, Legal Assistant Manager was the main problem.
Dentons Canada LLP allows individuals to work individually within a department team. Work varied from preparation and distribution of accounts to clients, preparation of corporate and tax documents and filings, digital filing of documents, booking meetings, interaction and communications with clients and, mentoring of staff and Students-At-Law.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the lawyers I worked for over the past number of years.
Good team environment, supportive learning, up to date software with a primary focus on professionalism and precision in a timely manner. Dentons has a stellar team of various professionals working together that instilled confidence in my abilities as I was a practicum student. I was proud to have had the opportunity to experience what it was to learn and gain knowledge from a great group of professionals.
Pros

-Van office is filled with competent and professional people

-Great staff in terms of reliability

-Updated technology infrastructure

- Great benefits and vacation (4 weeks) plus paid personal days

Cons

-Constant "house cleaning"

-Some managers and lawyers leave much to be desired in the people skills

-Little opportunity for career advancement
Denton's taught me how to be a great host and provide our clients with the best experience possible. I was able to observe the preparation with meetings and questioning with clients. I observed and assisted preparation for these meetings and help organize any services required. I enjoyed working in the Legal Industry and was so intrigued and wanted to learn more. This job is why I went back to school hoping I could pursue a career in this field.
Co-workers were great, but management, not so great. I worked there for 9 months, and my manager only came into the room where we worked less than 5 times.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Bad management
I have nothing but good comments regarding this firm. It is well managed and lawyers and supervisors and management are respectful of one another to a fault
Great environment to be in. People are encouraging and helpful. Assisted in the administrative work and archiving. Polished up time management and organizational skills along with communication and teamwork skills.
Though I thoroughly enjoy my coworkers and peers, I must say that working at Dentons leaves... more to be desired. Little to no room for internal advancement and management that is incapable of allowing their subordinates to work independently doesn't seem to bother the top 5% of the company - while long time employees have their benefits slashed, the fatcats remain, well, fat.
Pros
This job keeps me from being homeless.. barely.
Cons
No advancement opportunity, little respect for service depts.
Though the work I did was basic, the people were always friendly and encouraging and easy to approach. The job itself never pushed you too far and only asked for reasonable work for reasonable pay.
Dentons is only interested in their public image and the dollar. Management is dysfunctional. Dentons is growing so fast, yet is not hiring more staff to support. On the flip side, teams are getting smaller and much more productivity is expected. You can work as hard as you want, you will not be rewarded. Bonuses and raises here are so low, it's like a sad joke.
Pros
People, flexibility, good location
Cons
Poor morale, extremely low raises and bonuses, long hours, bad management, no room for growth, poor communication, outdated technology, no appreciation
There are a number of other law firms with a better culture, work/life balance, salary grid, etc. The morale is low, management does little to combat that, partners are selfish and there is little to no mentoring.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention
My most typical day at work is attending to my 2 boss' calendar and addressing immediate tasks and deliverables ie: email, calendar, documents that require printing; creating, editing documents.
HR team is very approachable. The team I worked with were cohesive, approachable and helpful. The overall culture is congenial.
Pros
lunch and learns; social events
Cons
nothing really
Encourages a very us vs. them environment between lawyers and staff (all non-lawyers).
There is a lot of superfluous confidentiality under the guise of privacy and no practices or policies to support business continuity with redacted information.
Pros
A lot of resources and nice looking offices.
Cons
Staff is replaceable.
I should have read reviews before ever applying/accepting a job with this company.
My advice to anyone - READ the reviews, they're dead on. The only thing I can say positive about it, the pay is half decent but certainly not worth the stress. I left voluntarily, but the turn around was unbelievable in the short time I was there. Run!
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
To many to list