Denny's Employee Reviews

Found 362 reviews matching the search See all 6,324 reviews
Horrible manager in willowbrook
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC11 April 2019
When they interviewed me I specifically said that i can't work on sundays because of my religious beliefs. I thought they were fine with it since they gave me a schedule right away. A week later of my 1st shift they gave a schedule on a Sunday and so i said no and explained once again why i can't go and the other manager was nice enough to say he was fine with it. Days after my 2nd shift, I called in to check if I'm supposed to come in on that day because the manager said he'll call or text me if I'm supposed to come in. Turns out i was supposed to, he was so disorganized. While on the call he bugged me once again about my Sunday so I said I can't because I have something I believe on and they can't force me on that, after explaining my side, he then said "fine we're not gonna hire you!" and ended the call... It was so unprofessional and insensitive, just because of my religion he would do that to me. So that day i decided not to come in for work since he already told me they're not hiring me.

P.S. they are 2 managers, the other one is nice while the other one is rude and disrespectful.
Pros
Co-workers are nice
Cons
Unprofessional manager
Best job ever.
Ontario - Server (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 April 2019
Hands down the best management and atmosphere for a work environment. Very flexible management and staff. Everyone treats each other like family. Definitely the best place to work.
Decently steady job with good pay
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 March 2019
I had a negative experience while working here when it came to the environment and coworkers but other than that it was overall a decent job and I made good money with the hours I did
Pros
Pay
Cons
Overall relationship and environment made it hard to positively work
productive and funfilled
Server (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC25 March 2019
Working in Denny's is a turning point of my carrier as i have never experienced such work before. I simply loved the ambience and work culture of this amazing restaurant as my manager is very kind and helped a lot in learning and adapting the new atmosphere.
Great breakfast restaurant. Management were helpful, professional and I was able to utilize my skills as a high volume server
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Downtown Dennys20 March 2019
Best part of working at Denny's was that you got to be part of a team that not only was professional, with high standards, but also I got to learn how to balance high volume with great guest satisfaction.
Good opportunity to make money
SHIFT SUPERVISOR/SERVER (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 March 2019
Working as server, you have the potential to make pretty good money as long as sections are divided fairly. Sometimes favouritism prevents that but if you're willing to work hard, the money is there.
Pros
good tips
Cons
kitchen has difficulty keeping up when busy
Not a place for new workers
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC11 March 2019
Mean co workers and un-understanding boss. I didnt like the place because of how they treated new workers that are being added to the crew. They didnt give me any shifts after a while and I . just stopped going after checking the schedule several times.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No hours
Good way to start serving and great team to work with
Server/Bartender/Cook/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 March 2019
Denny's was a a good place to work. Learned a lot about the service industry while I was there. Steady, fast paced environment as well as lots of help from upper management when needed. This is where I met some of the nicest people, who were all very friendly and welcoming. The food was pretty good as well. Overall, a great place to work.
terrible
Service assistant (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 February 2019
I would never recommend anyone work at Dennys they treated me and most of my other co-workers poorly. no flexible hours with mediocre pay. 1/5 would never walk into another one again.
Toxic workplace environment
SERVER/MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON20 February 2019
Overworked, underpaid and sneaky work mentality. Denny's must be your entire life in order to work at this location. Praise and exaltation when available and completely dragged through the mud if a pick-up shift is declined. Harassment, bullying, and fear tactics all in play at this location
Enjoyable work environment
Host (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC19 February 2019
The workplace is very enjoyable. All your coworkers want the best for you and go out of their way to help you succeed. when they see growth and potential in you, they push you to be the best you can be.
good work experience, bad management
Full Time Food Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON10 February 2019
I was met with a few situations that went against company code and when presented to management, little to no action was taken. I felt as though my needs as an employee weren't considered
Good hours, good tips, nice co-workers.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB3 February 2019
daily rushes can be stressful because people get upset when food takes too long which is understandable, but there were a lot of regular customers that always brightened even the worst of days. management was distant and professional. We got to keep most of our tips except 3% - 5% of the debit tips went to the kitchen (who honestly deserved more than that for how hard they worked) I worked overnights a lot and it was very enjoyable. Mainly regular coffee people came in. it was quiet. i always had something to due on the chore list. hardest part was lunch/dinner rush when people ordered salads for me. most enjoyable part was rolling silverware and talking to the regulars.
Pros
discounts on meals, good tips and good people
Cons
long hours, undesirable customers sometimes.
Best managers
Ontario - Server (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON31 January 2019
I worked at the Denny's on Gardiners road for 10 years. It was a tough descion to leave but I made the choice to go back to school and obtain a career. The atmosphere and amazing people I worked with at Denny's are missed daily.
fun and safe work place nice people
Dishwasher/ Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL31 January 2019
i really injoyed working there made new friends people there and boss is really nice alwyas made work fun and to work with a smile and very easygoing people there are great
Server (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 January 2019
Enjoyed a few years here, Great team work. Excellent hours if you had full availability, i loved the job itself, enjoyed customers and really enjoyed being kept busy with extra things to do around the restaurant.
Pros
overtime, 50% off of meals, benefit packages, great co workers
Cons
no breaks
it was a great place of work
Line cook / Certified trainer (Former Employee) –  Napanee, ON29 January 2019
i really enjoyed my time here at Dennys i went from being just a cook to a certified trainer in 6 months and i even got to help open the first Denny in Newfoundland it was a wonderful experiences
Pros
great coworkers room to grow
Cons
management
Happy environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC19 January 2019
I enjoyed working at denny's. This was my first job and taught me many skills that helped me later on in different work places. The people were great and understanding.
It was a job.
Busser & Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON17 January 2019
I didn't mind the work at Denny's, once I got the hang of the processes they follow, the work became easier. I did however find management to be lacking. It never seemed like they were really there to support me or my colleagues; they just occasionally dealt with the unruly customers and took a substantial percentage from the tip pool. I would consider working there again, but its the inter-office politic that keeps me away. The long term employees (servers and line cooks) always seemed to be stuck in their ways and would push back tooth and nail to keep things as they are, when change to a more efficient process would benefit everyone. Beyond that, the work was good, manageable and if you were cross-trained to do other tasks then you could easily continue to work over the seasonal down turn. I learned a lot from Denny's, I don't regret a thing.
Pros
Team environment, Free employee parking, Lower Cost Employee Menu
Cons
Management issues, scheduling issues, seasonal layoffs, stubborn (grandfathered) employees
easy job, awful people
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 January 2019
during my time there, the management actively sabotaged my job, the kitchen staff were either high or mean, the serving staff were angry or on cocaine, the dish staff were angry or lazy, the customers were often upsettingly rude to all the staff, people were kicked out on a nightly basis, nobody knew there was a panic button and code for the buzzer from the hotel and we let anyone with dogs in no service vests. The place despite my best efforts was unsanitary at best and dangerous at worst, what with the constant equipment failure. Decent food though, I liked the food. the salsa benedict was lovely despite never being medium poached like i asked every time. tasted great regardless.
Pros
great food for half off
Cons
people suck sometimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Denny's. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K