Denny's Employee Reviews

Found 337 reviews matching the search See all 5,873 reviews
Hard!
Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 July 2018
A typical day was could be very stressful. Busy moments would happen whenever, and there was never enough staff to run a shift. Management's expectations were really high. Good work would go unrewarded with pay raises. Booking off time was a constant problem and trading shifts was nearly impossible. working 6 days a week but only getting 5-7 hr shifts was not ideal. Cook's tips could be taken away if mistakes were made. Which would make you nervous.

What i enjoyed was the great server's and cooks who made it fun. also a free meal a shift.
Pros
free meal a day
Cons
hard to balance free time, no raises, management, scheduling
Head cook (Current Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON25 September 2018
I have learned alot through dennys. Benefits included with the company when employed for more than one year working full time. Job pay rate is fair. The crew is all very personable and likable.
Pros
Flixible hours, discount during shift for food on break
Cons
Can be long hours and unexpected shifts (ex. Open one day and maybe a late shift the next day)
A Day At Denny's
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 October 2018
Not bad working here, sometimes standing for way too long is a problem, but when you get used to it it's fine. Management was not really too good, but overall good place to work if you are okay with bussing, cleaning tables, greeting, seating, rolling cutlery, answering phonecalls, etc.
Pros
salary
Cons
standing for way too long
Server/Waitstaff (Current Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON2 October 2018
gret place to work. Sorry they are closing October 15/18. Great teamwork. Good management. Family first environment.Fair to employees with compensation. I started washing dishes and was soon serving. Thoroughly enjoy the customer interaction.
good customers
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 November 2018
they cut hours down you have any benefits this good is good for people don't grow up .
you can have fun with the staffs the customers are good most are regular customers they come for breakfast and lunch
Pros
free lunch for host 50% lunch for server
Cons
cut hours down
Not recommende
Certified Trainer Server (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC4 June 2018
poor work environment. there is no employee benefits. Poor management. i would never recommend work for them. the kitchen is always dirty and would not ever eat at there.
Hours
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON25 October 2018
The hours were good, I worked there last year while going to school second semester. It was easy to get shifts as a hostess if you were good. A lot of the hostesses are females going to school. It is pretty easy to ask for more hours especially during the holidays. The pay was good. 30 min break was provided. The people are generally friendly.

Didn't really have a proper interview I was just asked to come in, had a friendly conversation with the manager and got the papers on the spot. I would definitely go back and work there again.

We were encouraged to become servers and there is definitely room for promotions.
Pros
people, work environment
Cons
over night shift hours
Good place to work with no prior sever experience
Restaurant Server (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 September 2018
I was a sever and overall really enjoyed working here. It is not as easy as you think and is very hard work. If you can handle this type of work serving will become like second nature and will be stress-free. The location I worked at was very flexible with my schooling schedule and always had shifts available to pick up if needed. I enjoyed the management, my co-works and most of the clients. I would recommend this job to students or anyone who wants to get into severing with no prior experience. The tips make this job and it is way better than working for minimum wage without tips.
Pros
Tips, Management, Co-Workers
Cons
Can be stressful, Overnight Shifts
Very nice work envinronment, great first job
Hostess/Busser (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2018
Working at Denny's has given me many skills that has helped me in my life. The employees quickly grow to become your friends through your time working there. The culture revolves around teamwork and collaboration for the benefit of everyone. Definitely the most enjoyable part of working there is the customers as each one you have a chance to talk to is so nice and welcoming, making working there more of a privilege instead.
would have been better
Shift Manager/ Chef (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB26 October 2018
Good place to work, fun environment. more of challenging position I had, had to work sometimes alone, as few employees were there.
Not much training was given to new employees regarding dealing with customers.
Pros
Free Food
Cons

Want to know more about Denny's?

Ask a question
It was a fun workplace
Busser/Host/Expodite (Former Employee) –  Canada11 November 2018
I learned a lot of things at Denny’s because it was my first Job then I knew how to do mostly everything my 2 week in the management was the best I wish u stayed there but u couldn’t because it not close to my home and I need a job close to my home
Pros
50% Discount on meals
Cons
6 hours each shift but I did a 11 hour shift once
Good place to work management is good
Certified Trainer, Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC6 August 2018
Learned lot of things ,long hours , weekends are preety busy and weekdays are busy doing paperwork .Hardest part of job is doing weekly inventory which includes atanding in freezer for 1 hour
Pros
Free lunches
It is a fun workplace
Senior General Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2017
Denny's is a great place to work, Learn lot during my 12 years of work in this company. Great to work in family and friends like atmosphere. Hardest part is there are no such promotion or opportunity in Edmonton market.
Pros
Rrsp, Medical benefits and many more
Cons
Long Hours, Family time lapse
Unequal contribution job area between dishwasher and server but being paid at same wage
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC29 October 2018
I had the bad experience working in Denny's. the manager put me in the dishwasher section then everyone who worked in the area had to mob, clean toilet, and etc. Where people who worked in the server area only doing order kinds of stuff. very unequal job between both.
Pros
Free food every 5 hours
Cons
being a dishwasher need to do a lot of things including mob, clean toilet, and etc
fast paced and well paid
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Walnut Grove, BC7 September 2018
loved working here, all the staff where super supportive of each other and the only problem was management (but isn't it always) the good thing is the kept mostly to themselves and only stepped out of the office when we where understaffed.
Pros
hosts get a free 12$ meal after a 5 hour shift
Cons
next to no training
Horrible boss slow winter
Server (Former Employee) –  Revelstoke1 May 2018
Little money to be made in the slow season unless you’re a morning server which is reserved for a select few that have been there forever. The manager is unfair and not pleasant to work with. If you stand up for yourself when you’re being treated poorly you’ll end up with cut shifts and being bossed around and treated even more poorly. This Dennys has an ever going struggle retaining staff... wonder why!
Honestly never resented a job more in my life and I’ve done a few.
Also get a fairly bad clientele at times that don’t tip. Never worked in a place where this happens so frequently.
Pros
Couple of nice staff.
Cons
The long term staff aren’t nice the management isn’t nice and the money is usually not great.
Fast food resturant
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 August 2018
-Management taught less than servers did
-flexible with hours
-24 hours so can work at any time
-can be very busy or very slow depending on hours of the day
Pros
chill atmosphere
Cons
lots of work for low pay
very nice staff and mangement
dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, NY26 July 2018
i got hired the same day i got interviewed. it feelt so good that someone is giving a first timer a job the same day as an interview. i just can't belive i got it the same day and i think for all the people still looking for jobs in niagara falls you guys and girls are the reason we have so much courage to get up off the couch and look for our potenial first job. i basiclly am happy im working with such a nice crowd of people because i just like getting along with people so ya thats my review peace.
Pros
nice staff and free lunch
Cons
none for now
staff were mainly students and worked part time.
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 October 2018
Assist servers with customers. Clear and wipe down tables. Train new dishwashers, and show them all aspects of the job. Make sure restaurant is clean for next customer. Wash floors and all other duties as asked by manager. Check chemicals for dish washing system and inform manager when supplies are low.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
High turn over in staff.
Fast pace environment, fun
Server (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON10 May 2018
I learned how to handle difficult situation with customers and resolve any issues. Ensure customer satisfaction during their dining experience.
Management for me is ok, sometimes they are lenient to employees.
Pros
Free food sometimes
Cons
Long hours when it gets busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Denny's. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K