DELTA SCHOOL DISTRICT

DELTA SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews

Very competitive environment for the international programs

Long hours and lots of multi tasking. Having to look at all perspectives including overseas agents, parents overseas, homestay parents, colleagues, administration teams.

Pros

Great bunch of people to work with

Cons

Long hours, little recognition

Management is horrible to educational assistants

I love working with kids, but this position will destroy you. It's basically impossible to get a continuing position so you have to start over all the time. They see you as a number not a person. Teachers and principles treat you badly. I have never felt so demoralized as I did working for them. I thought it would be my career until retirement, but it took a terrible toll on me. They kept cutting down on the number of positions in each school and increasing the number of kids you were to work with. It's impossible to form a connection and work with the kids properly with the number of kids you are meant to work with.

Pros

The kids, the holidays, and the pay is fairly good.

Cons

Teachers treating you like you are less than them, admin being rude, the district seeing you as disposable.

A stressful critical environment

I love working with / supporting kids that was the best part of the job. The management actively sets it up so you don't get continuing positions so you are constantly temporary and having to fight for positions. They don't respect the work that EAs do and often the teachers were rude. I was sad to leave, but couldn't stand constantly feeling disrespected and unsupported. The district sees you as a number not a person who has a relationship with the kids.

Pros

The hourly rate is good.

Cons

The management is terrible. Some of the teachers are very rude.

No district commitment to operations excellence

Sole focus on core values of caring and respect has seriously compromised the districts needs for accountability and excellence. The district complies with none of the core building blocks for operations yet holds managers accountable for the implications of conditions they are not permitted to change.

Great working environment, horrible HR department

Anything to do with teaching in the district is great. Very progressive, helpful colleagues and supportive coordinators. Great opportunities for Professional Development, and supportive union environment on the whole. Cannot trust the HR department and their payroll office. Many mistakes made over the years, with a few exceptionally big ones. Very limited accountability on their end, with blame put on employees directly.

Pros

Salary, benefits, Pro-d opportunities, employee support

Cons

HR dept is incompetent, unreliable, and very unfriendly to teachers.

Great Place to Work

Great place, great hours, nice people. Hours are 730 -4pm Monday to Friday. Great benefits. Social Club, company tools and work vehicle. Very big on Safety.

Challenging and Rewarding

Great career if you like working with youth. The staff is amazing and you are always learning. The high ups however, don't seem to stay connected with the people that do the real work and it can become frustrating

Pros

rewarding

Cons

challenging

Great and welcoming atmosphere

Kids were great and fun to play with. Keeping everything organized was troublesome at times but worked out. Other leaders were welcoming and made the kids days more active. Sometimes the kids wouldn't listen and we had to cop in different ways to get them into it.

Pros

have fun

Cons

Kids will not listen sometimes

A fantastic ever changing, never boring atmosphere to work in

I never knew how the mood of the student would be any given day so I really enjoyed the challenge of it all. I learnt a lot about myself and how much I truly invested in each and every student, teacher, parent and co-worker. The hardest part I felt of the job was having to leave at the end of the day. It never seemed like there was enough time. I think the most enjoyable part of the job was when all of a sudden a student understood something they had been struggling with or broke way past what their goals or expectations had been.

Pros

The smiles on the faces of the students

Cons

Not enough resources at times or too many students not enough time

A multi tasked clerical position with many interruptions throughout the day.

Enjoy the variety and working with the children. The district has had many budget cut backs, so would prefer a more permanent part time position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DELTA SCHOOL DISTRICT. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement