Defence Construction Canada

Defence Construction Canada Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews
- learned how to better collaborate
- desk and outside work

- hardest part of the job is negotiating with all stakeholders

- most enjoyable part of the job is working to improve processes and producing project deliverables
hard working typical day, research and mentoring. Mgmt. is open minded to new ideas. The most enjoyable part of the day is when everyone gathers together during lunch and play games and laugh.
Really good and organized people. Relaxed atmosphere the users are great and its easy to become self sufficient. The management is very streamlined and they all exemplify work life balance.
I enjoyed working for Defence construction canada, they have a good management team, I learned a lot in this company, I had the previlage to take interesting courses
As a student DCC was the ideal environment to gain knowledgeable work experience in my field of study. Management was very accommodating and professional to work with.
Pros
Plenty of hands on construction exposure
Cons
You will not get rich working here but you will have a great pension after 25 years. The job is 8 to 5 and they do not expect you to work overtime. It can be hard to move up and good projects to work on can be dictated by federal government spending. Really good people and a good management team as they are mostly promoted from the ranks.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Lower pay
Handlers were very aggressive and constantly trying to find fault, it was in there best interest to get the job completed cheaper than quoted, and if you past deadline or milestones you were penalized.
DCC is a lovely place to work. They hire with personality in mind, making an incredible team that enjoys working together each and every day! I would definitely apply for a DCC position again.
bon environnement de travail, sauf que j'ai moins confortable dans la position que j'occupais
Pros
flexibilite
Cons
ok
DCC staff are great to work with, but the corporate culture stinks. Poor morale, and little communication between branches.
Great co-workers and Supervisors-
Positive work environment

Busy work tasks

Constant learning

Working with many cultures

Always fun at work
Great work life balance, interesting construction projects, rewarding to be part of the defence of Canada. Great benefits and pension, not a stressful job, lacks advancement opportunities and pay is lower than private sector for similar work.
Pros
Flex Days
Cons
Advancement
In my experience, organizational policies and employee code of conduct as per Government of Canada standard do not translate into real life practices. Work atmosphere is toxic.
Unique company thet performs for a sole client (Department of National Defence), so is unique in may senses.

Opportunities to learn on security and other aspects related with national security. Strong ethics, and sense of fairnes, honor that provides new and unique approaches to the DCC employees with respect to their jobs. Very positive.

Management though keep distance between them and project coordinators, prohect manager s and people working onsite. I believe they shoul work a bit more in imoriving leadership with low level employees.
DCC offers many professionals the chance to learn different aspects of the project life cycle through their service line delivery program. I worked in both the Contract management and project management service lines and found them both beneficial to my career. Working for a crown corporation, you have to deal with office politics and red tape, which can be frustrating. Most of the management is very supportive and help you personnally grow and develop within the company.
Pros
Friendly workplace with compettive benefits package
Cons
Salaries can be less than expected for the level of effort applied
I started with DCC in 2005 and moved up pretty quickly within the company. The work and work environment are very stimulating and challenging. Since DCC has offices across Canada, the company offers a lot of possibility in terms of jobs opportunities and location.
The benefits are great and the hours reasonable (depending of the time of year and type of project)
Practice completing environmental impact assessments, participating in biological control projects, identifying plants, water sampling, and soil sampling.

I especially enjoyed being outside and participating in research experiments.
Defence Construction Canada is a very structured environment that makes learing the required tasks very straight forward.
I worked with some lovely, professional people that made my job very easy. We worked as a team at all times.

There was a mjor emphasis on healthy living a lots of fun incentives to balance health with your work.

Salary was decent, however, it was the cut backs that caused me to lose my position.
Pros
Great people, decent salary and benefits
Cons
Government cut backs
The thing I liked most about DGME/DCC is that there was no such thing as a typical day at work. Every day was different. Working within a team setting daily problems were always different. My supervisors allowed me the lateral movement to solve them from using my own imagination. Management was very supportive and my co-workers and employees were always there to provide any advice when required. The hardest part of the job was the attempt to get permanent staff. As a result most of my workers were from temporary agencies and were constantly changing. The most enjoyable part of the job was that all personnel were considered part of the team. Even the temporary help were included in social events including Christmas parties.
Pros
Maximum latitude to solve problems
Good experience overall. Dependency on DND funding for work is the hardest aspect as it is so unpredictable.
Pros
People
5 day work week
Co-workers were good

Management is not good

Enjoyed worked on large projects
Pros
Flex days
Cons
No advancement