DEER LODGE CENTRE Employee Reviews

Health care aide
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 March 2019
I was health care aide student from Manitoba start for 8 weeks . I feel it’s a best placement for me to achieve my goal.here I deal with the patient who is suffering from dimentia.
I love to do work in Tower 7.
This is best experience to do work with team and if I got chance to do work here again ,I ll definitely join this ..
Pros
Team spirit
a great place to work
RECREATION FACILITATOR (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 March 2019
Lots of freedom to be creative in the role. The company had a large budget. Lots of funds to plan very fun programs. This job was a great stepping stone.
Pros
casual dress
Cons
only a 0.6
practicum
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2019
it was practicum, i wasn't paid, 6 weeks "working" there. I got a lot of experience with patients with dementia and confusion. I also worked with patients in rehab.
Productive workplace
Gift Shop Attendant/Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 November 2018
Very nice workplace.
Learn to work independently and with a team.
Learn various skills.
Was able to help people with special needs.
A very compassionate place to work.
Nice coworkers
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 October 2018
Very nice staff (nursing, HCA, OT/PT, SW, physicians). Great clients. Teams work well together. Unit managers are kind. Lots of potlucks/bonding on unit.
Pros
great staff
Cons
no advancement
Dietary
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 October 2018
I would not work here case the management This department is not that good she just let every thing goand if she does not like you you gone .it now poor .thing do notdone case of her
Pros
Staff is good
Cons
You get fired if you are good
They Strive for Excellence in Care
Recreation Facilitator /Interim Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2018
They Strive for Excellence in Care for their Residents, families and staff. This is a great place to work full-time or part-time. They really care for the people they serve.
Fast paced and busy work place.
Health Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Deer Lodge, MB21 April 2018
I did my practicum as a health unit clerk at Deer Lodge. I found it busy and stressful and wonderful. I learned so much from my time there. I was fortunate to have the best preceptor I could have asked for. I would have loved to spend more time learning the ropes. Deer Lodge is a place I would love to work! Any job is going to be difficult at times, but the staff and the resident's make it wort it.
Pros
So busy that the days fly by.
Cons
Hard to get your foot in the door.
not happy working here
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 April 2018
Its always understaff. Some co worker are nice mostly are not. HCA do not follow nurses delegation. You end up doing HCA duties as the same doing medications which is unsafe.
hard-working caring staff in a over-worked environment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 February 2018
Floor staff work well together for the most part, patient care top priority to them. Friendly and enjoy talking with the patients and family. Generally a good relationship with the attending doctors and other interdepartmental/auxilary staff. Many recent changes have caused low morale.
was a great learning experience
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 February 2018
I enjoyed my time at Deer Lodge Center I found the staff to be proficient and I learned so much from the residences, It was a great learning experience and my need to go to school and become a health care aide became that much more clearer to me.
workplace
LPN (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg21 October 2017
Its a good workplace, I love being an employee here. Some management decision can be overwhelming such as not being able to be informed that you are moved to work on a different unit that you are unfamiliar. Also the management questioning staff regarding sick calls, wanting to know details that can be sometimes private.
Good Experience
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 October 2017
I have a good experience working here. The experience I received will help me in acquiring other employment opportunities. I also had good experience working with my colleagues at the organization.
Great work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 September 2017
Smiles all around the building, as a volunteer I was always appreciated by residents and staff alike. Management is easy to approach and talk to, all around a good experience.
Rewarding work
Food Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 August 2017
Enjoyable work in a fast paced environment. Job expectations are laid out for the job expected and approachable supervisors to assist when needed. Opportunity to meet individuals of the aging population.
fun workplace
Charge Nurse/ Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 June 2017
I have briefly worked in Deer Lodge Center, i have easily learned to love the work place, my co- workers, my managers, our residents. I i enjoyed much walking down the main lobby of DLC on my breaktimes.
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 November 2016
The floor I worked on was very good and the staff alongside with it. I loved working with my residents to the point where they became family to me.
Great place to work for me!
Housekeeping department (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 January 2016
I worked evenings. A typical day at work was enjoyable and hard work. I always enjoyed talking with co-workers and due to them having mostly the same management team for so many years, we were like a big family. Good place to work for me!
Large facility offering assistance for persons of varying abilities.
RECREATION FACILITATOR (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 August 2015
Dynamic workplace offering a variety of programs. Programs include adult day programs, day hospital, long term care and dementia care programs. Great support staff, amenities and room to grow.
Pros
staff morale
Cons
impersonal due to size of facility
A productive workplace with simple yet long
Laundry Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 August 2014
A typical day depends on the type of shift you need to fill. The earlier one requires you to start sorting laundry and readying the washers. The later shift takes on the washed clothing, places them in the dryers and then sorts them by alphabetical order, then by floor for the delivery later. It is all very synchronized and works out rather well unless a person calls in sick and you end up short a pair of hands, at which point you will be pressed for time.

The co-workers are generally fun to be around. During the sorting you'll often chat about non-work related topic. As long as your conversation doesn't affect the work to be done, the management will not rise a fuss. Speaking of, the management was wonderful to me. I had plenty of work hours (sometimes even working more than the regular full-timers) so no complaints on that front.

Hardest part is getting used to the smell. You'll be dealing with a lot of soiled clothing working there so if you got a sensitive nose, you might want to be careful.

Most enjoyable part part of the job is at the end when you deliver clothes back to the residents. While you are on a timer then still, you can generally relax as it means your tasks are almost finished and you got through the long day.

Lastly, I learned the importance of working together with people. This is the kind of job that needs people to work together and get along with so they can complete the bigger assignment. It gets tough sometimes when people might be stressed but at the end of the day, you're still co-workers.
Pros
Excellent coworkers. Great hours. Relatively decent pay for the position.
Cons
Difficult to get full-time work.