DeafBlind Ontario Services

DeafBlind Ontario Services Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
Worst job experience I've ever had. The "co"-workers I had were so competitive and full of drama and gossiping, it was hard to get through a day. It was very much an everyone out for themselves atmosphere. Every day, at least one person would call in sick so we would work short staffed and still be expected to fulfill every requirement of the day plus extras. I would have shifts cut from my schedule regularly then get called in on every one of my days off. There was zero respect for personal time away from the home.

The people we supported were honestly the only reason I went to work every day.
Employment position takes over your life, staff constantly back stabbing & jealousy. Management does not appreciate or support staff equally. Some staff constantly break rules. Although there is an opportunity to learn new skills.
I love working at deafblindontario services. I learned so much working here and gained many great skills and knowledge. Going to work everyday for me is fun and rewarding. The training is also great! :)
I gave this company a 1 rating because zero is not an option.
NEVER complain about illegally working 19 hours consecutively. I worked 3 years for this company. I had excellent reviews, yet I was dismissed because I chose not to ignore bias management. Very high staff turnover rate. Salaries are good for a psw. Skills are for a psw. Poor treatment of staff and residents by management. Management very unsupportive and negative. Many shifts working alone with 4 clients. Shifts start at 10hrs, Who knows when you might leave!!
Pros
The residents
Cons
Long alone hours 20+ hours
Great to be part of a fantastic team. Always worked together and helped eachother learn and grow our skills. Used sign language to communicate with individuals we support.
I would not recommend anyone to work at this position. The job title sounds professional but it is a PSW job. If you want to be a PSW without going to school, then this is the job for you.
Pros
Cons
Staff overworked doing excessive hours which is against the labour laws.
One of the lower paid in this sector despite requiring a high skill set and high expectations. The workers have to work double shifts quite frequently and work every statutory holiday in the year.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, shift work, work all holidays
I have worked at DeafBlind Ontario Services for 5 years. In this time, I have been provided with opportunities for professional development and growth. Because of my role, I have grown both professionally and personally.

I really enjoy working working with my team, as well as all of the members of the organization. The passion, energy, and enthusiasm of the intervenors is inspirational; they truly make a difference for the people we support.

I enjoy coming to work everyday, and couldn't ask for more!
I've enjoyed working in Communications for DeafBlind Ontario Services, having been given opportunities to grow in my skillset and thrive in an organized and caring environment.
I have enjoyed my time with Deafblind Ontario. It has been a great opportunity and feel that I have been contributing to something more than just a job. The ability to help other individuals is worth while and really great people within this organization. From people working with the clients to the people working as support in the main office everyone works well together from what I have experienced. Would definitely recommend this organization to those who like to help others.
My time with DeafBlindOntarioServices was amazing. I had the opportunity to work all shifts, so I learned what happened every time of the day, including night shift. I had the chance to work with every client. This helped me to learn about each client's needs. Staff was supportive and encouraging. There were lots of training opportunities, workshops and meetings. Great place to work!
Pros
Great staff and clients, good opportunities to grow.
Cons
Long hours at times.
Working with the kind of clients that DBOS supports is amazing and very fulfilling. It is great to be part of an organization that cares so much about their clients and are passionate about the support that is given to these clients They also provide a lot of additional training that many other organizations do not and they overall are very supportive of your growth and professional development. Only draw back is that is can be long hours.
Pros
professional development, fulfilling work, passionate organization
Cons
can be long hours sometimes
Love working at DeafBlind Ontario Services. The Intervenors are very passionate when working with DeafBlind clients. A very fulfilling experience where you get the opportunity to learn, thrive and leave your mark on the organization. Organization values each employee as there is a lot of training not only right away but once an employee gets more comfortable in their role in a classroom setting.

Would recommend to those in the Personal Support Worker, Developmental Support Worker, and Sciences.
Pros
Specialized Training
Long hours,, work 2 weekends a month not much time for a healthy work, life balance. When your shift is over you have no time / energy for anything else. Lots of lazy staff, who don’t carry their workload and despite this being addressed with managers, it doesn’t change, no resolution for this. So the hard workers, work harder. Takes a ridiculous amount of time to reach the top pay rate. One of the lower paid in this sector despite requiring a high skill set and high expectations. Concerns with schedules are disregarded the same few people, work every statutory holiday in the year and you have some staff that work primarily days and only few evening shifts in a month , some staff work many evenings shifts with few day shifts. Some staff schedules were modified when concerns brought forward but then the others weren’t at all and were told they couldn’t make any more schedules changes.
Pros
Supporting individuals with disabilities
Cons
Long hours, shift work, work all holidays
The head of the company harasses her staff. There is an exception that everyone work overtime, all the time. There is no balance.

The workers have to work double shifts quite frequently. There is danger from the clients to the workers that are not properly addressed.
Pros
Reasonable wages
Cons
Terrible management
I worked here for a month, « keeping in mind I have worked with the vulnerable for over 12 years now and never have I get such negativity, stress and overall disappointment.

The intervenors are negative, abusive and lack complete respect.

Management not only failed to protect their employee and residents but placed blame onto the victim as it was an easier solution.

The residents family’s are able to yell at you, disrespect you as well. « Staff says just try to ignore her, keep her happy?? »

Deafblind seemed to be a great company, perhaps they are ? But the one located in Embrun should be replaced with new staff, and management.

Yours truly
I worked for this company for just about a year. I was often short staffed, left alone and forced to stay long after my shift was done. There is an on call system that you call but they offer no help in anyway. The management was not helpful in anyway. You always worry about losing your job. I was forced to give meds to clients I never met before. And when i spoke about it, I was let go with no cause. The staff talked about eachothet and often bullied other staff. This was the worse job I ever had. So glad to be gone.
Cons
Was a student before I was hired on.
Love the clients, each are so different and teach you so much.

Co-workers are super helpful and will teach you different skills. You will meet a lot of people, great networking.

Took a long time to get full time, but there is always contracts available.

The schedule changes a lot, so you will need to be flexible with your work hours.

I got crossed trained at all the houses, makes it so you can pick up more hours.

Some houses have behaviors or more support work, but you get introduced to a lot.
Pros
Clients, co-workers
Cons
Long hours, shift work, constant changes
clients are fun and you build friendships. the staff are amazing, a lot of woman so sometimes drama and gossiping. most of the staff are exhausted due to poor staffing as they never seem to be able to maintain staff, huge turnover rate. management lies the problem, they make it clear they don't care and often do not lift a finger to help. I was forced to work 20 hours when a staff called in sick. my manager was rude and never did her job. work schedules are always changing, your harassed on your days off to work via text or calls, often working alone with 4 different clients to care for (wheelchair and behavioural). head office does not care about employees, your hard work will go unacknowledged. small chance to learn and advance, worked here for a almost 2 years and not one person was given a chance to move up the ladder. dead end job basically. while working here my kids barely saw me which brought me to quit as it is difficult to trade shifts and your required to work every other weekend. however you do get 3 day weekends on the ones you have off. great job for a summer student. I loved the clients and my co workers but ill never work there again.
Pros
clients, staff, learning sign language, 3 day weekends
Cons
managers, head office, no staff, lack of pay, lack on conistancy
*Shifts were varied and extra work hours were widely available when needed
*Learned how to work in a team as staff members and well as the clients. Patience, thorough communication and an attention for detail were essential

*A wide exposure to program activities and a supportive community
Pros
Fun and rewarding work with clients
Cons
Staff consistency with programming
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the individuals in the home. Unfortunately, my home life was missed greatly becuase the shifts are 10 hours and my commute was 1.5 hours to and from combined. I hardly seen my kids.
Pros
being in the community daily
Cons
10 hour shifts
Ask a question about working or interviewing at DeafBlind Ontario Services. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9