DeafBlind Ontario Services Employee Reviews

Embrun is an extremely difficult environment
Intervenir (Former Employee) –  Embrun, ON4 February 2019
I worked here for a month, « keeping in mind I have worked with the vulnerable for over 12 years now and never have I get such negativity, stress and overall disappointment.

The intervenors are negative, abusive and lack complete respect.
Management not only failed to protect their employee and residents but placed blame onto the victim as it was an easier solution.
The residents family’s are able to yell at you, disrespect you as well. « Staff says just try to ignore her, keep her happy?? »

Deafblind seemed to be a great company, perhaps they are ? But the one located in Embrun should be replaced with new staff, and management.

Yours truly
Worse job ever!
Intervenor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 January 2019
I worked for this company for just about a year. I was often short staffed, left alone and forced to stay long after my shift was done. There is an on call system that you call but they offer no help in anyway. The management was not helpful in anyway. You always worry about losing your job. I was forced to give meds to clients I never met before. And when i spoke about it, I was let go with no cause. The staff talked about eachothet and often bullied other staff. This was the worse job I ever had. So glad to be gone.
Cons
Good stepping stone to a better job
Part Time Relief Intervenor (Former Employee) –  Georgina, ON28 November 2018
clients are fun and you build friendships. the staff are amazing, a lot of woman so sometimes drama and gossiping. most of the staff are exhausted due to poor staffing as they never seem to be able to maintain staff, huge turnover rate. management lies the problem, they make it clear they don't care and often do not lift a finger to help. I was forced to work 20 hours when a staff called in sick. my manager was rude and never did her job. work schedules are always changing, your harassed on your days off to work via text or calls, often working alone with 4 different clients to care for (wheelchair and behavioural). head office does not care about employees, your hard work will go unacknowledged. small chance to learn and advance, worked here for a almost 2 years and not one person was given a chance to move up the ladder. dead end job basically. while working here my kids barely saw me which brought me to quit as it is difficult to trade shifts and your required to work every other weekend. however you do get 3 day weekends on the ones you have off. great job for a summer student. I loved the clients and my co workers but ill never work there again.
Pros
clients, staff, learning sign language, 3 day weekends
Cons
managers, head office, no staff, lack of pay, lack on conistancy
A Great Introduction To The Field
Intervenor (Former Employee) –  Georgina, ON22 November 2018
*Shifts were varied and extra work hours were widely available when needed
*Learned how to work in a team as staff members and well as the clients. Patience, thorough communication and an attention for detail were essential
*A wide exposure to program activities and a supportive community
Pros
Fun and rewarding work with clients
Cons
Staff consistency with programming
Fun workplace and environment
Intervenor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON28 September 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the individuals in the home. Unfortunately, my home life was missed greatly becuase the shifts are 10 hours and my commute was 1.5 hours to and from combined. I hardly seen my kids.
Pros
being in the community daily
Cons
10 hour shifts
Not a good place to work. High turnover rate all the time
Intervenor (Former Employee) –  Georgina, ON9 September 2018
I would not recommend anyone to work at this company...theres a high turnover for a reason, theres constantly job postings available because people leave all the time. The staff talk about one another, disorganized and air heads for managers, some clients are too hard to deal with, and the job title sounds fancy but it really is a PSW job (personal care, toileting, feeding, administer meds, take clients out etc) If you want to be a PSW without going to school, then this is the job for you.
Pros
Salary is ok, and its good to learn a new skill
Cons
Not being able to swap shifts as often, working overnight alone and disorganized scheduling
Great clients, poor head office management
Intervenor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 April 2018
Staff are hard working and great with the clients. Clients are each individually amazing and interesting. Head office management is where the problems lie. They say they care about Intervenors when problems arise, but time and time again let them down and prove themselves as fakes who say things to temporarily please staff.
Careless management, could work 24hrs straight
Intervenor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 March 2018
Management is careless about staff. I was compliance champion, which these roles offer no extra perk. Noted concerns to the regional manager while doing compliance, the solution was to hide it.
If a staff called in it’s in your hands to manage clients and try to fill their shift. If no luck you could be forced into working 24hours straight.
Full time contracts do become available frequently.
Staff are very disrespectful to each other, will gang up and set up other staff for med errors.

Clients best interest aren’t often the priority. Example, staff and team leader would allow client to eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

If you need a day off in advance you have to trade shifts, can’t book days off. If no one will take the trade it is sick time.

Casual relief staff have no flexibility, you are only able to provide availability 4 times a year and they can put you in whatever they want. If you call a month in advance as a RELIEF staff and say your unavailable they basically say too bad. Oh and the availability change that can only happen 4 times a year can only change every 4 months.

Do not recommend, staff call and harass you on your days off for help because on call doesn’t know the answer and teamleaders will not answer their phones if they aren’t in.
Pros
Full time is easy to obtain
Cons
Everything else
Unprofessional management
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Bradford West Gwillimbury, ON22 December 2017
Working at DBOS was a nightmare. The company treats its employees as disposable underlings. Asks employees personal information to base as work reviews and advancement. Constantly changing schedules at last moment and if you are working in a home and the following worker calls in sick you are left to work up to 24 hours. Toxic backstabbing and gossip are the norm.
Pros
Cons
All of the above plus more. Workers not appreciated.
some flexibility with hours
Part time Intervenor (Current Employee) –  Georgina, ON11 December 2017
good opportunity to gain experience in the "caregiver" field. A variety of clients abilities. Training available in sign language and non violent crisis intervention.
Opportunity for learning
DeafBlind Intervenor (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON9 February 2017
Great opportunities for learning in terms of practical skills such as sign language as well as embracing many extra duties such as fundraising representative, health and safety champion, etc. Staff and management are supportive and helpful.
Pros
Opportunities for learning
Cons
shift hours
Great Employer
Intervenor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 April 2016
DBOS is a great work environment overall and the clients you get to work with are truly one of a kind. At times there was a feeling of lack of support from the upper management as it felt that they did not fully understand how each individual house ran on a day to day basis. However, for the most part, minus the 'politics' of (any) organization DBOS was a great environment to work in. Co-workers were phenomenal and became like a second family. The clients you were working with both challenged you and also became like part of your extended family. The only reason I left DBOS was because I moved to a town where there are no DBOS locations.
Pros
Great work environment, Clients are WONDERFUL people, Positive environment to grow as an Intervenor, Always providing training opportunities to their employees
Cons
Long hours, Nature of the organization had you sometimes "take work home with you" (e.g. concern about clients, can take a mentally taxing toll on you)
i enjoy working for Deafblind
Intervenor (Current Employee) –  Embrun, ON21 October 2015
I am working overnight I enjoy working for the non-profit organization it is very rewarding position wen I am working days because I interact with the clients
An interesting company to work for.
Deafblind Intervenor (Current Employee) –  Innisfil Ontario19 October 2015
The company most certaintly encourages growth in your own learning of exact english. They encourage client's to be visable to the community. Co-workers are very diverce and fairly easy to work with.
Great workplace and staff
Intervenor (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ON9 September 2015
Learned a lot through this company and it had changed my perspectives on a lot of things. It showed me how I was able to adapt quickly in different and continuously changing environments, quickly I can pick up new skills (learning sign language), how supportive management and other staff were.
Pros
Great staff, understanding, great pay, great clients, great training
Great Place to work
Coordinator of Regional Client Services-Tricities (Current Employee) –  Tricities10 December 2014
DeafBlind Ontario Services is a great organization. It is a very professional organization with the clients rights in mind.
One of the leading accounting firm
Assist residents (Current Employee) –  Newmarkert. Ontario14 October 2014
Working in an environment of leaders makes you wants to keep growing. Really very interesting.
Not a great place to work
Intervenor (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ON29 April 2013
In general, Management go against Ontario labor laws. I have worked 20 of 24 hrs in one day . I mentioned it was illegal. Shortly after I was dismissed with cause.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Unsafe, Very long hours while driving disabled clients
Great organization
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, Ontario20 April 2012
Awesome organization. Typical work day would involve site visit to an off-site location.

I have learned how to mangement my time effectively to handle multiple projects

Coworkers are Ok
Hardest part of the job is not having clear objectives on assigned tasks

Most enjoyable part of the job managing different projects, seeing them to completion and getting positive feedback from the users of their satisfaction.
Pros
flex-time
Cons
high attrition rate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DeafBlind Ontario Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9