De Dutch Employee Reviews

Ok place to work
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC28 September 2019
People were ok everyone was just there definitely not as motivated as I was or passionate but none the less I had fun wouldn't go back as compensation was at its cap and I needed a higher wage
Decent restaurant for cooking experience and a few perks
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 August 2019
Typically, the line cook's job is to be able to cook all menu items as well as cover any other needed position.

Most days for cooks will require a lot of stamina and moving in between people or objects.

I learned how to multi-task and do ten things at once.
I learned how to recover from a mistake and not crack down under pressure; the show must go on.

Management is: Non-existent. Terribly organized. Family-run; nepotism.

The workplace culture is above average. Most people get along and there is very little restaurant drama.

The hardest part of the job is maintaining the pace required to have a running restaurant. Cooks generally do not have the leisure of taking breaks (or at least the ones who have some pride). Minimum wage also increased a lot for certain positions, which means you'll be working 2-3 times as hard as a dishwasher, but making the same or less amount of money, depending on how fast they're willing to work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Pros
Free Staff Food, Good Employees
Cons
Understaffed, Lack of Management, Poor consistency
a lovely and family environment
Kitchen Helper and Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  British Columbia23 July 2019
this is nice company and it give good pay and tips to every worker. the tips are same for all. eery employee works very hard and honestly. eeryone helps each other.
High pace restaurant that ensure opportunities to advance
Server (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC28 June 2019
This is very fast pace environment that allows you to work on your skills as a server and as a host. It provides you with opportunity to move up. Loving working there!
Nice people, alright food, usual kitchen stuff
Dishwasher and Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC21 June 2019
The people there are really nice and understanding. The food was pretty good and I would get a free meal a shift which was really nice. I was a line cook so it was stressful sometimes when you have big rushes and stuff like that but nothing too stressful. I didn't have a bad experience working at my local DeDutch at all which was mostly due to my coworkers.
Pros
Free meal, 50% discount, Nice coworkers
Cons
stressful, sweaty
Lots of fun, great staff and resonable hours
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 May 2019
Always enjoy going to work, can be intense at some points but everyone has each others backs during busy mornings. Management is flexible with hours and will almost always allow for time off with 3 weeks notice.
Pros
free meal with every shift
Cons
early mornings
Great atmosphere with poor management
Cook (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC20 April 2019
A typical day at work involves ingredient prep and cooking for myself, with busy times and not so busy times.

I learned quite a lot about ingredient prep and cooking there.

Management when I started was great, however a new manager took over and things haven't been so good for me since.

In my restaurant my coworkers were very nice and always willing to teach me how to do something. They always help me to do things the right way.

Hardest part of the job is definitely multitasking. A meal has many components and each one has a different cooking time and handling techniques. Managing more than a few orders at a time can be a challenge for someone new to the industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job has to be knowing that you've worked hard to provide a nice meal for everyone in the restaurant despite all the stresses that come with it.
Pros
Free lunch for every shift you work
Cons
Short hours, operating times often don't allow for an 8 hour shift
great friendly coworkers but overall disorganized
Server (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 October 2018
i enjoy my time at dedutch becuase it is a casual work environment but it is horribly managed and incredibly unprofessional. i met alot of awesome coworkers and you never have to wear make up, heels or a tight dress to work here. in ym experince the managers are very nice and great people but not suited to the job
it's super fun job and great management
Host (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2018
I love the job and everyone that works there. that was my first job and i'm coming up to just about 3 years of working there. A typical day at De Dutch is super busy and filled with challenges that put me out of my comfort zone like the huge rush hours that happen there every weekend. it taught me a lot about giving great customer service and how to socialize with the customer to give them a really welcome experience.
Pros
a free meal during shift and 50% discount while off shift
Cons
not enough hours and only weekends
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BC14 August 2018
Working South Surrey location was awesome. Free meal only mornings managers very helpful great team.Very flexibile hours for students. I will be back next summer .
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Only open morning
very great place to eat and meet new people
Host (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2018
De Dutch is a very small but busy place, if you happen to get a job there expect to be running around often because everything is going fast and fun. the managers are always happy and cheering us on. over all wonderful place to eat and work.
Pros
free meals during shifts and 50% off if off shift
Cons
not that many hours during the year expect summer
Great Place to work
Host/Server (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC21 October 2017
Super fun job!! The team is a lot of fun and the clientele is very nice. I can't recommend the job enough for anyone looking to enjoy their job instead of hate it!
Great place to work for students
Server (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC19 August 2017
Good work environment
Good hours - the restaurant closes by 3pm
The company uses Instant pay so you have the option to be paid 50% of your wages immediately after your shift.
Great seasonal work.
Host (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 June 2017
Great place to work. A Very good manager has reasonable expectations and looks out for his crew. Good chance to expand experiences.Wonderful locations and meal given,
Working as a dishwasher
Dishwasher / Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC16 February 2017
Good place to work anyone starting off in the job market. Fun place to work especially if you like high pace work. Another bonus to this job because this place is a restaurant job is the tips.
Pros
Always a free lunch during our shift that was a bonus
Cons
not a lot of room in the restaurant
amazing company!
Hostess/Cook (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 July 2016
Was one of the best companys ive worked for, amazing staff and management.
short hours and only ever day shift, as well as amazing hourly wages.
De Dutch
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 October 2015
well working at De Dutch i had an all right as a dish washer , the co workers where good to work with very happy people , a bonus to working early mornings they gave us free breakfast.
fun and learn
Kitchener-Chef (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 June 2015
great to work as a chef
meet great people
fast pace work
learn how to cook
hardest part is being able to catch up to the piled up orders
Pros
free lunches
amazing atmosphere but extremely set scheduling needed
Server (Current Employee) –  burnaby3 June 2015
From working at DeDutch for over 3 years, I can tell you that it is the amazing customers and lovely staff that tended to the roots that I eventually grew while working there. One needs to be self-managed and motivated in order to enjoy this work environment, which can be a downside but also a benefit. The difficulty of this job came from inflexible scheduling as well as the need to put on a multitude of different hats; in this respect, one is never just a "server" at DeDutch, but also a hostess, busser, dishwasher, and sometimes even a kitchen helper. However, while working in such a small location, you really learn to be a people person and your staff and regular customers become like a second family.
Pros
free food, excellent staff, understanding customers, short hours
Cons
rigid scheduling, exhausting, difficult to book time off
Everyone was super nice, and it was a fun job to have
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC29 September 2014
I would go in and wash tons of dishes, put them on a shelf and then put them back on line where the cooks could reach them. If I wasn't doing dishes, I was prepping or cleaning the kitchen. I also cleaned behind the stove a few times (which was a bummer but was still alright) and I took out the garbage for the kitchen as much as I could. I also maintained the dishwasher, emptying out the excess bin and cleaning it, making it good for the following day.
Pros
Free meals (under 10$) and tips
Cons
standing the entire shift/no break