Day & Ross

Day & Ross Employee Reviews

It is good company to start with. Even with a minimum experience this is the best step between really bad company and between really good ones. Because of the safety futures here like electronic logbook and cameras recording 24/7 outside of the truck and inside of the cabin (camera facing the driver) recording video and audio the company is collecting evidence to blame the driver for every single little thing. But surviving here for 2 years is more than enough to obtain good references to move forward to really good company !
Pros
Under the table business with dispatch
Cons
too much waiting time, No privacy
Overall great managers: friendly staff, most staff are helpful. Over-dependence on email communication (can be frustrating). No room for advancement. You must work with the company, for at least, one year before you can request changing departments or become a full-time permanent staff member. Company hires through agencies (can be a downside depending on what your goals are). Be wary of SOME staff who boss others around when they are NOT in the management role. Lots of staff events to promote healthy work culture; lots of eating events and holiday events. Easy to access the company by car or public transit. At the border of Mississauga and Brampton. Reasonable 8-hour shifts and reasonable & fair pay.
Pros
Reasonable hours, days & shifts, fun work environment, lots of colleague get-togethers & food gatherings, easy to drive or bus to, reasonable pay, great managers, overall good communication between everyone
Cons
Absolutely no room for advancement, some staff are not concerned with teaching new tasks, some co-workers overly manage when they are not managers, over-dependence on email communication ONLY (can be frustrating)
Disorganized and unprofessional! I used to work at there terminal in QC and management there does not listen to there employees let alone knowing what they're doing. When I first started working there it was actually fine until they lost a contract then work started to thin out, in result I went from full time to on-call and eventually lost my job... They don't actually hire you as day & Ross, you are hired in through an agency (No benefits) my big issue there was the management, big waste of time!
I was there on the Sameday side - it was one of the most stressful work situations I've ever been associated with because nothing gets done. Bring in opportunities, send things to pricing, get rates significantly higher than the competition...lose the opportunity. The workplace culture was horrible - really nice people that just want to be busy and successful...but the whole atmosphere was "this place is going down". Management, all the way up to head office in Toronto was equally unorganized. VP of Sales was all over the place...VP of Operations all over the place. The best part of this role was my Regional Manager - she was incredible...but sadly is no longer there.
Pros
great people
Management that hide in their office and dispatchers that are totally incompetent. DAY and ROSS is a disaster. Upper management maybe overwhelmed with issues as there visits to the local terminals are few and far between. If you dare complain you are punished monetarily. If you are a butt kisser you can do fine. Favouritism is rampant
Pros
It is a job.
Cons
Many
The company is ran extremely well by it’s directors and regional managers but they are largely absent. Seems like they mean well. That day and Ross culture from HARTLAND, NB does not carry over to other terminals though.There is rampant racism, sexism and overt verbal abuse in Toronto and Vancouver terminals. Being scared to say anything is a common theme. The pay scale is not worth putting up with a culture of misogyny and threats managers use to keep employees subdued. Wish better managers were installed by head office.
Pros
Average pay scale
Cons
Everything is swept under the rug
They claim to be working within a team. However that is not true they put you in your cubicle and you are on your own and when you ask colleagues for support., you do not receive it. Some will not even answer their phones or jabber and will not return calls or e-mails. Work place Iis toxic do not recommend working at Day & Ross
Bullies - inflated egos - politics and not much else. This particular location is certainly a toxic one. All it takes is one jerk to make the whole place toxic. Starts at the top
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Working
i have never felt more alone at a job then here. Everyone is your boss and you are pulled in all directions. Your afraid to speak for fear of being terminated which is what happened to me. I was never trained properly until the 3rd week in and only taught somewhat of my role the rest i was left to guess or run around asking everyone else Even better 4 days before the 3 months gone without explanations
Pros
Cons
Everyone is your boss
Happy with job, for most part. I do my job to the best of my abilities as a woman, and I'm happy with the success I've had. No one bothers me, if I follow and comply with Company policies. Though a good pat on the back for a job well done, is ALWAYS gracefully accepted. :)
Pros
GOOD CONCISE Helpful dispatching, Both Supervisor/Saftey manager's extremely helpful responsive available for answers and help
Cons
Some locations are poor to help make deliveries easily, but again NO IDIOT DRIVERS.not really anything negative to say other than that.
Management is so worse can’t even describe here Dispatch and manager don’t have any idea what’s going on in the field They have their favourite drivers who get all the good work Dock and forklift don’t give @ck about anything You will be blamed if you do little mistake
Pros
Learn driving skill in tight places
Cons
Nobody smiles here everyone is rude and sick
Day N’ ross is a laid back work site most days although when a truck makes it way into the docking bay it’s time to chop chop chop get to work the quicker you get it done the more time you have in between trucks.
Pros
Not too busy periods of free time
Cons
Some of the workers there have less than desirable personality’s. Horrible split shift work.
I worked for a broker that expected far more than they were willing to pay for. No benefits and no chance of a break during the trip as the tractor was a slip seat tractor. Gave them 6 weeks notice that I'd be leaving and they were beyond upset at me and so far have never so much as given me a wave. Favouritism with dispatch is another issue I experienced.
Pros
Couldn't think of anything.
Cons
Numerous
Pay is good Work is easy Management a JOKE Think about going into a company where your work ethic was used for a warehouse joke. People advancing with no knowledge or skills. Picture working your hardest in a jealously unorganized environment to get disrespected and unappreciated Good Luck enjoy depression.
Pros
Money
Cons
Good company, managment is friendly, all over friendly people. Equipment is good. But they don't have shop to repair. Safety guy is good, keep you updated about new law and rules so far good experience
it is a transportation company with nation wide network. one of leading and best managed company of Canada. prompt loading and unloading of loads and consignment and shunting the loan as per Ontario Highway traffic Act.
Although the staff is very pleasant to work with the job is very stressful because the clients are often rude, a lot of the dispatchers are very unprofessional and pretty much make you feel bad for calling even though you have to call them and the whole company is structured in a way that leaves you to fence for yourself against an angry client that requires answers that you are not allowed to provide.
the people are nice they help you when you need it. the only then is there is way to much setting, waiting for loads. wfjawopefkna;wdokvhjawoerf;OIKJHERTF[i0
Salar y and office infraestructure can be improve. Amazing co-workers. Very fast environment during specific seasons. They do no micromanage the employees but you must achieve their objectives.
Great environment to work in, fast paced and fun. Staff and Management are very supportive and friendly to work with. Lots of opportunity to grow within the company.
This company is fair. Average pay. Not much trustable. Easy going not pushing much to work Still good to work. As this sight at Milton is run by company equipments so not too bad to work