Dawson College Employee Reviews

great student job
Coordinateur d'événements (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 June 2018
No complaints, was the best job a full time student could ask for, great job, great perks and great pay. Helped me really strive through my college years.
Good for students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 May 2018
Great for students who are studying full time as you get to create your own schedule and how much you want to work every week. People are very nice and quite organized.
A great place to work.
Professor of Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 April 2018
Dawson College was a government run college which replaced the senior year of high school and the first year of university. Enrollment was always high with about 20-30 students per class. Demanding work but very rewarding.
Pros
Teaching is always rewarding.
Cons
large classes.
productive day
Information Desk Administration (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 March 2018
It was a fun job. I learned how to be patient. I learned how to multi task. Communicate properly with people on the phone and face to face. It was a nice experienced job.
Pros
good salary
Had a good time
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 December 2017
My boss was very caring and understanding, never gave me a hard time, and if he did have an issue with something, he'd be very straightforward and honest about it in a gentle and respectful manner.
Professional environment
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 September 2017
Communication with a lot of multi-cultural kids.Feeling proud new immigrants of Canada.It was life-changing and learn how does a college runs.My experience helped me with my personnel life and the community.
Pros
communication
Cons
Dealing with last minute phone calls to register to the colleges
Love Coaching at Dawson College
Assistant Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 August 2017
Working for the Dawson Blues is fun and enriching! However, Assistant coaching, or coaching jobs in general, are not the most rewarding financially. I don't do it for the money, but because I love it!
Good place if you can get a job
Para-Tech (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 August 2017
the school doesn't do much hiring so it is hard to say. I myself was just a student employee when I got hired. but from my time working there its very good place to work, good pay, good benefits, good hours, just over all good. management is a little all over the place but that is done to there being 1 or 2 ppl managing 3-4 departments.
Studying at the cafeteria or at the library while chatting in both languages
SPANISH TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC26 May 2017
It was fun to teach and help students with my mother tongue. It was interesting to know what they were good at and struggling as well. With each student I had, I learned something from them and made some friends as well.
Pros
Was short and fun
Cons
to schedule an appointment for tutoring
Calm and practical work environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  3040 Sherbrooke Street West26 April 2017
Working at Dawson College was very practical because all tutoring sessions took place around class time. Students and I made our own schedules. The staff from Dawson's Student Center was always helpful.
Management pushed me out for contacting union
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 April 2017
I was pushed out because i dared to contact the union after being replaced by a friend of management. I didn't even make a complaint, just asked a question! Management is completely corrupt, union is weak and has no fight in them.

It can be a fun place to work and you are paid pretty well. It can get frustrating because there is definitely a do as little work as possible and CYA attitude from management. A minority of staff is like this as well and they tend to be friends of management.

In sum: work there if you have an opportunity and don't have something better (money is still good and its not all bad, it can be a fun and rewarding experience). Do not bother going the extra mile, you will feel really stupid about it later (as I did). Keep looking for other opportunities while you're there - do not commit to them in ANY way.
Pros
Money, students, staff
Cons
Managers, union, corruption, failing students
Great Job for Students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 April 2017
This was a great job for students. It provides with really flexible hours because you make your own schedule based on your tutees. It provides with a good salary as well.
Unique experience.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 February 2017
Got the opportunity of a lifetime. I accompanied my husband on a trip to Asia to do some data entry for this company. I was impressed with my experience and would do it in a heartbeat again.
Pros
Experience of a lifetime.
Cons
Was away from home for 2 months; missed my kids.
Excellent place
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 February 2017
My work at Dawson comprises of dealing with the faculty and students. Each day I learn something new. Since the job is in a unionized environment, we do get a lot of job benefits, especially vacation. The only downside of being in a unionized environment, there is too much red tape, which may hinder the speed of every process.
was teaching others
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Westmount, QC27 January 2017
i just taught others life values and skills for the world.went out doors.led the group by giving them tasks to do.sociallly impacteed them and others in the community
Good academic institution
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 January 2017
I learned a lot at Dawson, and it gave me the skills necessary to propel myself into University and to work on my career. Dawson is a great CEGEP and I highly recommend it.
Excellent learning environment
Director of Sustainability (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 August 2016
Excellent family owned pharmacy. Bosses were great and they taught their employees valuable skills. Such as helping clients and selling products. They were also very organized.
Pros
Great leadership
Nice job
Peer tutor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 June 2016
I was a peer tutor. For what this experience is worth I say this place is great! the people are nice too.

you don't have typical days. when you have a new mentee, the office sends you an email and you can contact him to set an appointment. I worked principally by appointment.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
pay periods difficult to grasp// not every week
best place i have worked to date
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 May 2016
both my fellow employees and boss were all very understanding of anything that came up and were prepared to assist me in any of it. it seemed that no matter what happened while working here it all worked out in the end through teamwork
Pros
everything
Cons
sometimes got boring
Best College
Sponsorship recruiter (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 October 2015
Beaucoup d'opportunité pour les jeunes, environment très agréable
Pros
multicultural