Dawson College Employee Reviews

Fun to be around young people at a hopeful point in life
CO-COORDINATOR OF ACADEMIC ADVISING (Current Employee) –  Québec Province17 January 2019
Hardest part of the job - having to refuse students admission, or tell them they lack the grades or prerequisites for their desired university program... or having to explain to a student that they've been expelled.

The most enjoyable part of the job -- helping to launch young people on their path to become doctors, artists, teachers, lawyers, engineers... Also helping a student to see the options available to them when they are in a program to which they feel unsuited -- and watching the relief cross their features.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
very little down time at any point in the year in my particular department
Not what expected
Financial management officer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 January 2019
Extremely chaotic environment. Chaos adds/complicates simplest of tasks.Bullyish,abusive managers who don't understand what is required on a day to day basis to get some tasks done. Inadequate training & support. Co-workers are nice but understand full impact of their input on your jobs, which adds to chaos.
Dawson is a warm place to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Westmount, QC3 December 2018
I was treated with respect from start to finish, and my contract ended and the position with it or I would still be working there to this day. I highly recommend it.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Big bureaucracy
Working with student and faculty members on campus
LAB INSTRUCTOR, RADIOGRAPHY (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC31 October 2018
Love teaching and assisting teachers with labs and attending staff meeting doing presenting and hand on lab training.
Being on site with students in the hospital setting for clinical training
Pros
To know that you have pass on your knowledge and expertise, helping students successfully graduate as x-ray technologist
Cons
The stress involve in helping students who might be having difficulty
Liberté
Tutrice (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 October 2018
En tant que tutrice pour d'autres élèves j'ai beaucoup de liberté et cela me permets également de travailler avec une sorte de clientèle.
Easy and helpful
Note-Taker (Former Employee) –  Westmount, QC27 September 2018
Was an easy way to help other students as well as myself. The college provided all material needed for notes (if needed). .
Quiet and busy shifts.
ENTRETIEN MÉNAGÈRE (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 August 2018
You never really get bored because there is a lot of stuff in the closet. It is quiet because you do it when there are not any classes there. The teachers are happy about the space when it is cleaning, it allows them to get props out easily.
Good Experience
English Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 July 2018
It was a simple student job that allowed me to make a little bit of money in my free time. It also allowed to help others and to continue learning in a way a classroom can not teach. It was a good job in good environment, the employers were very nice and always there to help with any issues. Although you are being paid, it is not a job you do for money, the pay is minimum and not always consistent since it relies on how many times you meet with a tutee.
Pros
Meet different people, great learning experience and great employers
Cons
Inconsistent pay checks
EXECUTIVE SECRETARY TO THE ACADEMIC DEAN (Former Employee) –  Québec City, QC18 June 2018
For such a large institution, the staff are generally very amiable and supportive. A fun bunch of people on a social level. Advancement is difficult and not always supported by administration.
Pros
direct metro access
Cons
difficult to advance in a unionized environment
great student job
Coordinateur d'événements (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 June 2018
No complaints, was the best job a full time student could ask for, great job, great perks and great pay. Helped me really strive through my college years.
Good for students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 May 2018
Great for students who are studying full time as you get to create your own schedule and how much you want to work every week. People are very nice and quite organized.
A great place to work.
Professor of Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 April 2018
Dawson College was a government run college which replaced the senior year of high school and the first year of university. Enrollment was always high with about 20-30 students per class. Demanding work but very rewarding.
Pros
Teaching is always rewarding.
Cons
large classes.
productive day
Information Desk Administration (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 March 2018
It was a fun job. I learned how to be patient. I learned how to multi task. Communicate properly with people on the phone and face to face. It was a nice experienced job.
Pros
good salary
Had a good time
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 December 2017
My boss was very caring and understanding, never gave me a hard time, and if he did have an issue with something, he'd be very straightforward and honest about it in a gentle and respectful manner.
Professional environment
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 September 2017
Communication with a lot of multi-cultural kids.Feeling proud new immigrants of Canada.It was life-changing and learn how does a college runs.My experience helped me with my personnel life and the community.
Pros
communication
Cons
Dealing with last minute phone calls to register to the colleges
Love Coaching at Dawson College
Assistant Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 August 2017
Working for the Dawson Blues is fun and enriching! However, Assistant coaching, or coaching jobs in general, are not the most rewarding financially. I don't do it for the money, but because I love it!
Good place if you can get a job
Para-Tech (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 August 2017
the school doesn't do much hiring so it is hard to say. I myself was just a student employee when I got hired. but from my time working there its very good place to work, good pay, good benefits, good hours, just over all good. management is a little all over the place but that is done to there being 1 or 2 ppl managing 3-4 departments.
Studying at the cafeteria or at the library while chatting in both languages
SPANISH TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC26 May 2017
It was fun to teach and help students with my mother tongue. It was interesting to know what they were good at and struggling as well. With each student I had, I learned something from them and made some friends as well.
Pros
Was short and fun
Cons
to schedule an appointment for tutoring
Calm and practical work environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  3040 Sherbrooke Street West26 April 2017
Working at Dawson College was very practical because all tutoring sessions took place around class time. Students and I made our own schedules. The staff from Dawson's Student Center was always helpful.
Management pushed me out for contacting union
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 April 2017
I was pushed out because i dared to contact the union after being replaced by a friend of management. I didn't even make a complaint, just asked a question! Management is completely corrupt, union is weak and has no fight in them.

It can be a fun place to work and you are paid pretty well. It can get frustrating because there is definitely a do as little work as possible and CYA attitude from management. A minority of staff is like this as well and they tend to be friends of management.

In sum: work there if you have an opportunity and don't have something better (money is still good and its not all bad, it can be a fun and rewarding experience). Do not bother going the extra mile, you will feel really stupid about it later (as I did). Keep looking for other opportunities while you're there - do not commit to them in ANY way.
Pros
Money, students, staff
Cons
Managers, union, corruption, failing students