DAVIDsTEA Pay & Benefits reviews

good
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB10 May 2019
It was pretty good there. They tend to over staff so hours get cut quite a bit but overall I was pretty happy. It's a fast paced job during xmas season so if you like that kind of stuff i would say go there.
A great starter job but not much more than that
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 May 2019
It's a fun company to start with. It's a supportive environment with good teams and it isn't as competitive as other stores. It can be a bit overwhelming at first in terms of information and product knowledge, but after a while, you get the hang of it.

There aren't many opportunities for advancement as they like to outside hire, and the salary is pretty low compared to the amount of work you're expected to do. Hours are not guaranteed and some managers play favourites as well.
Pros
All the tea you can drink and a great team environment
Cons
Managers play favourites and relationships can turn very toxic
Fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2019
Only hired on as a seasonal and enjoyed my four months there. The benefits were also really great! Only con were the hours since they were fairly short.
Benefits
Cons
The short hours
Most of employees are just temporary
Packing Operator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 March 2019
Good food safety policies. Inclusive company. A lot of repetitive tasks and offering mainly temporary positions without benefits. Smell is good and you work with natural products so no a really hazardous place.
Pros
Safe place to work
Cons
Hard to get a permanent position, low salaries
Unclear, unfair, but great people to work with
Seasonal Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2019
I didn’t enjoy working here as it was quite overwhelming for a seasonal employee. Lots of info was thrown out at one time, and it was hard to learn everything in just a couple of shifts. Coworkers were very friendly however, and were willing to help out with anything. However, management was disorganized, and laid me off without informing me; I had not been given shifts for weeks and I was suddenly blocked out of the scheduling system. The only perks were a nice discount and free tea.
Pros
Free tea, good employee discount
Cons
Poor management
Terrible hours, easy going, friendly staff
Tea Guide (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 October 2018
Overall enjoyable place to work, super laid back and easy going. Both online and in person training provided when hired. Good hours the first few weeks and then terrible, limited hours available later on.
Pros
Unlimited Free Tea on shift
Cons
Poor hours
Cross Iron David's Tea
Seasonal TEA GUIDE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2018
Typically you're suppose to do samples for 30-1 hour, but they made me stand there for 4 hours holding a tray of tea for my whole shift. I also missed some payments when it was payday.
Pros
Free tea
Cons
They don't care about you if you're a seasonal
Great coworkers and customers, terrible managment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2018
I worked at Davids for a little while and I can say that they choose teams with great energy and enthusiasm. I can't say they do the same for management. The SMs were almost never helpful. The upper management ignores pleas for help and human resources ignores complaints against their own policies. We never got proper training and it was almost as if they wanted you to fend for yourself. All levels of management continually disregarded employee problems and we never got many larger issues solved. Scheduling is a nightmare as hours get cut for reasons beyond store control. Stock management technique is abysmal, there was constant problems with stock counts due to procedures in receiving. The pay is very low for a job that requires so much information retention.There is no compensation for reaching out on our own time to local businesses to grow business. Part time workers/seasonal workers will get overwhelmed with the amount of information thrown at them without any time to absorb info. There is little consistencies with how stores are run. You can get things done at a customer level at one store but not at another due to stores ignoring company policies. Favoritism is very apparent between stores and upper management. I would recommend working here, if its a first time job as a worker.Either then that i cannot say anything else really positive.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
long hours, horrible managment, total disregard for HR complaints, low pay
Fun workplace!
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC6 October 2018
Very fun place to work if you’re passionate about tea. Most coworkers are very friendly. Great as a part time job, but I would not invest too much time into this job because internal promotions usually happen only from tea guide to Keyholder then ASM and SM. District managers are usually externals, so I can see somebody stuck being a store manager for years without any advancement.. SMs are underpaid too. Starting wage is only $38000/year.
Pros
Free tea on shift, 50% discount
Was a great place.
Tea Expert (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 August 2018
Not much to say really, I enjoyed my time at David's tea. I had a great group and great tea, what more could you ask for? Just do your job and enjoy yourself. Its a great place to work, especially for students.
Loved working here
Seasonal Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2018
This was a great first job however hours were minimal and as a tea guide I ended up dong far more advanced work. My coworkers were very nice and the customers were always friendly however the managers never took personal scheduling and availability into account when making the weekly schedules.
Pros
Great community
Cons
Limited hours
Don't.
Tea Guide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
Absolute garbage place to work.
David's tea almost ruined my love for tea. Not to mention management is disorganized, and you're given a three month probation period. Which means any excuse to lay off employees. It happened to two new people working there, and I couldn't help but feel terrible for them. Theres also a low income salary, and no benefits.
The level of expectations for employees is also very high, for something that pays so little.
My suggestion is work someplace else.
Pros
Free tea during your shift.
Cons
No set schedule, unreasonable expectations, long probation period, low income, no benefits, disorganized management.
Good Company, Salaries are lower, Poor Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 May 2018
.Good Company, Salaries are lower, Poor Management
The store manager and district manager don't care about people, constant poor communication, most of coworkers don't care about the business. Storage very massy, nobody care, nobody take care include the manager..
Pros
Free tea, good discount
Cons
lower salary, poor management
fun workplace
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 May 2018
Always enjoyed trying new teas. Showing new stuff to customers. Always got to learn new things. Great environment. Great pay and benefits. Would work here again.
Pros
free tea to drink
Cons
high expectations
Great for rounding out resume
Seasonal Tea Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB23 April 2018
Fast-paced, well-rounded work experience. Super understanding for booking availability for students. Fre drinks on shift. The only downside is you end up addicted to tea
Pros
50% discount
fun place, great workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2018
great working environment with lots of great coworkers. It is a small store but its fine. You can enjoy lots of benefits, like free tea and discount products.
Pros
free tea
Cons
must stay very happy
Great people, not so great hours
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2018
A pretty fun and relaxed job for the most part. Can be faster paced during peak hours when stock is running low, and things are required to be restocked.

The free tea is great. Only real complaint was the hours, and how few were offered.
Pros
free tea, great and fun people to work with, Great discount for staff
Cons
poor hours
Davidstea
QC H4P 1S1 (Former Employee) –  Mont-royal, QC9 January 2018
Not a bad job when you really need to work to pay your bills but i dont recommend this job if you are not patient, because everything is disorganized.
It is a fun and organized workplace I am happy to be a part of. Everyone is easy going while at the same time organized and friendly
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 December 2017
There are many different task I get to try here such as working the sales floor, making tea, matcha and lattes. I also get to handle stock and restocking.
Pros
Discount, working with people, free tea on the job!
Cons
I would like more hours
Fun retail job
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 December 2017
One of the better retail jobs out there. They do ask a lot of you and they dont compensate you enough but the environment and company culture is pretty fun

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DAVIDsTEA. Our community is ready to answer.