Davey Tree Employee Reviews

Good workplace environment
Arborist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON15 March 2019
very accommodating, great benefits, lots of opportunities for advancement, good equipment, great staff, willing to train for lots of different paths within forestry.
One word: Terrible!!
Operations and DRG (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2019
Nothing but empty promises and low pay....there's a reason the arboricultural industry makes fun of Slavey, worst of the worst...expected to give your all with little compensation, extremely high turnover rates.....I wonder why?
Pros
Easy to get a job
Cons
No training, old equipment....management treats you like a tool to be broken then replaced
Great company. Room and opportunity to advance.
GF (Current Employee) –  British Columbia7 February 2019
This company provides opportunity to develop skills and qualifications that can last a lifetime. There is a great camaraderie and with it being an employee owned company you can be a part of something that is more than just a job but a family/ community.
good people
Welder Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB31 January 2019
Very good company to work for. great management and the employees were good to work with. Very positive environment with strong safety procedures in place.
Pros
early fridays
Horrible
Sprayer/driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2019
My foreman was a person who could not be reasoned with and should not have even been hired. He also had a mindset of which he thought he was more experienced than myself although he only had about two weeks more experience, the company also would only get one room for two people. This company was also very disorganized as some of the work they had somehow "got lost". I worked 70 hour weeks with five days of 12 hours and one day of 10 hours, also when in places like Red Deer we were not allowed to make the drive back to Edmonton for our DAY OFF and we were. We also worked a couple of 14 HOUR days and ended up with them saying that next time it was on us and we would not be payed. The days of work consisted of about 8 or 9 hours of driving and 2-3 spraying. I also ended up with shingles because of the stress, heat and lack of decent food as a result of the foreman I was working with. the only thing I would possibly have accepted was if I was paid double for this job. All in all it ruined half of my summer and I hated every single moment working for this JOKE of a company.
Pros
Cons
Working here
Great entry to forestry
Ground Crew (Former Employee) –  Carp, ON20 January 2019
Very physically demanding work. Not for the faint of heart. I was treated well there, but the work wasn't for me. They were very understanding and provided a good reference.
Pay doeant match work
Crew Leader / ground operations personel (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2018
Working in proximity to voltage and with chippers and chainsaws demands a higher wage then davey provides. Half decent benifits and the work is challenging in a great way
Benefits
Cons
Low wage
Hamilton is a very well run yard
Arborist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 November 2018
I am a former employee of Davey Hamilton and the Utilities West division. I left Davey to start my own company with the thoughts of gaining sales and management experience in order to potentially return to Davey in the future. Despite starting off a low wage I ended up earning $8 more per hour after in 3 years after getting credentials. People don't seem to understand that Davey does pay well but you have to put the effort in and they offer the means to get where you want to be by sponsoring employees for the apprenticeship, assisting with getting a DZ licence, utility courses, 0-8 ton crane material handling etc. The Hamilton yard is run very well considering it having 50-60 guys and management always has work for you year round. There is also options for overtime pretty much all year. There are also some excellent workers at the Hamilton yard and I had the pleasure of being trained my multiple highly skilled foreman. Again, if you can get over the low pay at first and see the bigger picture of investing in yourself to take what Davey offers you then you will get a good wage after a couple years.
Pros
Stable work, good management, skilled workers
Cons
Should provide boot vouchers and rain/winter wear
Climber,Chargehand (Former Employee) –  Vancouver,Calgary and Edmonton.21 September 2018
I absolutely loved working for Daveytree. I was fortunate to work for Davey in Burnaby where I had some great bosses and good equipment to work with, and because of the scenery I got to see views that most people will not experience their whole life.
I also worked for Daveytree in Calgary and Edmonton. Loved the experience.
Pros
Equipment, staff, work locations
Cons
Sometimes very long hours
Boys club
Tree Removal (Former Employee) –  Canada5 September 2018
Nobody gets ahead. It's not about what you know it's who you know. TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT. You are not a human at Davey Tree. If you want to be ripped apart from your friends and family for months on end and develop a drinking problem.. This job is for you!
great hours, decent pay
Applicator (Former Employee) –  Martensville, SK19 August 2018
Not the worst place to work, great if you like working lots of hours and working away from home. both the general foreman's are frustratingly disorganized and complete idiots to work for which isn't good but the general manager is awesome and knows what he's doing.
Terrible Upper Management Team !
District Manager (Former Employee) –  British Columbia26 July 2018
Worked for this so called company years as a district manager and basically new upper management came in got treated like piece of

The mental abuse put on district managers sends many to the looney bin as seen with many divisions thru the west coast part of the company . The operation managers choose to put $$(greed) front of safety for employees as seen in many of there accidents that have taken place last few years .
Pros
Vehicle allowance paid
Cons
very negative experience overall on every aspect
would not recommend working for them
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK16 July 2018
very physically demanding always out side forced to work at minus 50 or plus 40 degrees forced to work on road for months at a time with little or no time off pay is offen wrong
Pros
Cons
treat like a slave always away from family
Great people to work with;Great experience
Groundman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2018
Was a great group of people to work with and around. Various types of pruning, tree removal jobs so no two days are alike. Only downside was the pay but even then steady hours.
Pros
The people
Cons
The pay
great learning experience
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 May 2018
working 3 weeks on and 1 week off was not bad considering i lived 2 provinces away. they make sure you have the proper training and are always willing to give you more.
Good place to learn the Arboriculture Trade
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2018
This is a great place to learn about Arboriculture and to become an arborist. The company will give back all that you put into it, the company, not the job. If you want to build a career in arboriculture, this is a great place to do it. Come to learn, but don't come to make money, the compensation is not competitive.
Great place to work and even better coworkers
groundmen (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK23 January 2018
Days consisted of about 10-14hrs of doing knotches in trees and draging brush to the chipper slashing tons of meters of slash but was a very enjoyable
Pros
paid weekly
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 December 2017
Hamilton yard is run well. Lots of education and training opportunities. Management is fair and approachable. Work available all year round. Vast variety of work environments/scenarios. Great job. Burlington yard, not so much.
Pros
Optional overtime consistently offered, wage increases based on merit
Cons
Equipment could be better
Fun and laid back environment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2017
A typical day would start at 6am and the work was enjoyable and look forward to going to work. The crews were amazing and made the days enjoyable to be there. Management was really well and fair with their employees. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my co workers.
Good training
Lead crews and oversaw job to completion (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC23 October 2017
Davey was helpful in teaching me in many aspects of the job. This is a good company for so many things.It is a good place to start ones career or stay on for a life time.
Pros
They take care of everything
Cons
The wage is a little low