Davey Tree

Davey Tree Employee Reviews

Canada55 reviews
Fun job Davey was a great place to start in forestry and tree care. They try to get you the equipment you need. No top handles used at Davey unless you bring your own. Managment is newer and they are in a learning experience.
Pros
Work all year
Cons
Weekend works and long hours if you choose
I worked as a Billing Clerk at the corporate office in Ancaster, ON and let me say, the job description is not at all what you expect. The work was sooooo slow! I had to beg my co-workers for work, otherwise I sat idle at my desk. I didn't have a computer for two months and had to use someone else's, which was disturbing their work. I didn't even have a desk chair! They ordered one and I had to assemble it! Pathetic! Everyone just mainly helps with payroll, and not really doing what their job title is. Management is horrible!! They constantly watch over your shoulder like they don't trust you. The payroll supervisor has the biggest attitude on earth! She speaks so rudely to her staff and gave me attitude (that's one reason I don't work there anymore). Work culture is a joke. If you're one minute late, they give you a lecture. We're humans, we cannot always be perfect. Also, you're underpaid for you qualifications. Please save yourself the hassle and not work there. No one should be treated the way I did.
Pros
Cons
Everything I said
I worked out of the edmonton office for about 7 years. running various types of crews at times. management openly brags about the "@#$% list" of employees they treat poorly compared to the rest. raises will be dangled in front of you in order to get more production. the professionalism among the supervisors and managers was disappointing, and although D tree as a company has amazing safety procedures and protocols, production is what matters at the end of the day and if following these procedures and protocols means lower production for your crew, you might get demoted or moved to more undesirable jobs. The only savior for this particular branch of D tree is some of the outstanding UTW/ and UTT's. Many experienced, quality tree workers have opted out of the company to try to find better treatment elsewhere.
Pros
exciting work
Cons
production pressure, lack of safety, management, long hours
Everyday coming in was a mess. Never knew where you were going to be working or who you were working with. Communication is the worst here. You can work your butt off as much as you want and not see a single praise or even get noticed by managment. Co-workers were great people to work with. But ultimately everyone is out for themselves. Actual work is up and down. Somedays will be a cake walk others youre literally breaking your back. Expect to lift heavy logs into the back of a truck constantly.
Work was up and down. A lot of politics goes on here unless you kiss up to management daily, you will go no where.I suggest stay clear of this company
If you have any common sense you would think twice about this place especially when it comes to the city contract. The upper management for this contract especially are just horrible people. Health and safety...which they preach as a core policy is thrown out the window. I think they have one of the most dense humans ever to run a management position. I’ve watched 7 senior arborists jump ship to the city because of the stupidness that is this company. Arborists with 5+ years just got up and left because of middle management.

Discrimination at its finest here.

Equipment is awful. You ask for something to be fixed and you wait weeks to have it done. It’s like pulling teeth to have something done. They blame you for almost anything, always implying that your the reason why something broke when in reality it’s there poor management skills.

You’ve got a corporate office that never EVER gets back to you if you have questions. Right up the chain of command is just horrible, from VP right through to middle management. They continuously lie about anything and everything so it doesn’t make them look bad.

The stuff you put up with isn’t worth the pay. You have an education in the industry DONT COME HERE!! I’ve seen multiple guys just hate it no say they’ve made a mistake. You have a DZ Don’t come here....pay doesn’t match the work.

Just think before you accept any offer.
great people, lots of diff. vehicles to work on, lots of social activities and good pay and benefits package. no real area for training possibilities or for advancement in the shop itself. great formen in the shop
Friendly staffs and crews, could be stressful if youre a foreman as there are a lot of responsibilities with little compensation. Days or weeks could be slow if its rainy or windy, so target hours for overtime might not be met, but the allowance could some times make up for the slow days.
EN:
Really good experience supervisor wants you to grown up as a tree cliber

The boss was amazin they were real with me they always being transparent. When you need to talk they are there to listening i really enjoy my job when i was there

FR: j'ai Aimer mon travail les superviseur était transparent. Ils voulait que je m'épanouisme dans le cadre de mes fonction. Si j'avais des inquietude ou des question ils était la pour m'écouter et m'aider je recommande cette compagnie au personne qui voudrait développer des aptitude en Arboriculture
You learn lots and work lots, I enjoyed the camaraderie and the management was great. Some jobs are tougher then others for sure but thats all part of it. Great training programs
Pros
Sense of community
Cons
Dangerous
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Davey Tree?
Poor management. Management does not have prior field experience and usually is less experienced than workers. Work orders are confusing. Lots of talk from managers they dont like the hire people with kids. Smoking in the work place and vehicles. Low prices on quotes. No job security, lay offs in winter. Regular equipment break downs. poor morale, low educated workers
I worked there back there in the summer time they sent me to work for the city I ended up working on the city crew I was getting be littled at work had enough of it I stuck up for myself and ended up getting fired, but if they never sent me to work for the city and kept me in Toronto I'd be still working there, the branch in Toronto on Jethro rd have a good group of guys that work there
I have awesome experience working in Davey Tree. I strongly recommend people who are really passionate about Tree works. Davey Tree will be a stepping stone to cherish your career
Davey is a good place to work with good pay and increases with your knowledge of the work you're doing. longer hours and early morning is a typical day sometimes you can work 12-13 hours in a day so if you aren't used to that I would not recommend this job to you there is a lot of physical labour and being in shape is something that would certainly help with this job. its slightly dangerous working with chainsaws but they do good job of trying to reduce as many injuries as possible. some of the equipment isn't the best though.
I have worked at Davey for over 5 years. The management has been supportive and always ready to facilitate learning. Davey has an Institute of Tree Science dedicated to employee learning.
Pros
Rrsp, Extended Benefits, Stock Options, and Overtime at ti
Cons
Working outside
Probably one of the most awful companies I’ve worked for

No training. Only specific people will teach you to climb. Most Operators can’t climb or refuse to (a requirement for certain contracts).

Work for yourself. Someone at this place WILL rat you out. No one is your friend.

No health and safety meetings (just get you to sign papers)

Old equipment

Middle management treats you like garbage

Discrimination at its worst.

Major fraud

Employees complain about work environment and equipment all day everyday and they still don’t give you what u need.

You have to either buy your own or rely on other people.

No raises. If you do get one it’s based on attendance amongst other factors they deem necessary.

Trucks are junk. Always something wrong with them. Dents everywhere. Rust everywhere. Locks don’t lock. Fuses broken or missing. Side mirrors held on with duck tape. They will always try to blame you first, then try to fix it themselves, then send it to I think one of the worst mechanics ever.

Think before you except any position at this place.
Pros
Some guys are great to work with
Cons
To many to name
I loved working at Daveytree both in Vancouver and Calgary as it was a great experience where I learnt many different techniques of Arboriculture.
A very safety conscious corporation.
very accommodating, great benefits, lots of opportunities for advancement, good equipment, great staff, willing to train for lots of different paths within forestry.
Nothing but empty promises and low pay....there's a reason the arboricultural industry makes fun of Slavey, worst of the worst...expected to give your all with little compensation, extremely high turnover rates.....I wonder why?
Pros
Easy to get a job
Cons
No training, old equipment....management treats you like a tool to be broken then replaced
This company provides opportunity to develop skills and qualifications that can last a lifetime. There is a great camaraderie and with it being an employee owned company you can be a part of something that is more than just a job but a family/ community.
Very good company to work for. great management and the employees were good to work with. Very positive environment with strong safety procedures in place.
Pros
early fridays