Danish Pastry House

Danish Pastry House Employee Reviews

Canada51 reviews

managercustomerstaffhouremployeemanagementpeopleplace

Quit after two days

The workflow is very sporadic and creates lots of room for error. There is no assembly line set up or clear positions it seems that you are running around individually instead of working with your coworkers. Places will vary on how your coworkers treat you. The hours are conflicting with a life work balance because they'll have you do a night shift then a morning shift. It's not really a sustainable job I'd rather work McDonalds.

Pros

Tips

Cons

Pretty much all of it

Wish I could rate a zero

Awful management and no room for advancement.Expects the best of the best service for minimum wage. Managers make less than 20 an hour and are expected to put in overtime constantly.

Pros

None. you have to throw out all food at the end of night not allowed to take home

Insights into Danish Pastry House

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Relaxed Workplace with minimal supervision

Hi there i worked here almost a year and a half and i enjoyed working there and if you get trained quickly its a relaxing place to work and its busy on only few days , i quit due to some urgent issues i faced but its a good place to work

Pros

Free bakery pastries and bread

Learn from my mistake and RUN

This place is a sh*it show. Upper management will blindside you and let you go with no proper reason. The facilities are dirty and there are no proper tools given to do your job properly. There is a very limited amount of training and support from management and a high turnover rate. Seriously, do not apply to this place

Good for short term work

Day to day work is busy and steady at the plant. The individual stores have busy and slow times like any other store. The hardest part of my job was dealing with constant mistakes and wasting time. The culture was down overall, some great employees but the overall atmosphere was down. The most enjoyable part of the job was the pastries they make. Free older pastries in the small lunch area, bakers always handing out fresh samples and a store discount.Pros - They provide a great product.Cons - Poor management interpersonal skills.-No employee appreciation or recognition.-High employee turn around.-No job security.-Poor culture.-No benefits.I recommend The Danish Pastry House for short term employment to make a few dollars.

Absolute train wreck

No clear definition of roles, upper Management uses micromanagement instead of leadership skills to enforce their will upon staff. Quick to point out mistakes but rarely if ever shows gratitude towards a job well done. Only one manager ever says thanks or shows any form of gratitude. Will work you to exhaustion and then replace you when you call in sick.

Great team, but upper management could do some improvement

The store management and environment were fun, and the staff (depending on which locations) are super fun to work with. However there are no tips, so I would say that the amount of work and the wage is not fair. Most of the stores can get pretty busy especially during the weekend if you work in the mall area.Because of this, the turnover rate is high, and we are always understaffed. There is little to almost no sense of belonging working here.The upper management can be very stressful and have unreasonable expectations and reasons to make your job more difficult. They change company structure too often, the chain of command is not clear, and little to no communication whatsoever.The product size and quality are very inconsistent. The only benefits that you got are 20% discount on pastries and free coffee for your shift. No further benefits for the assistant manager and store manager, which is very disappointing. One good thing with this company is there is an opportunity to grow if you stay long enough and are willing to do whatever the upper management said to do. On the downside, there is no job security in this company, as in they might terminate you for no reason. Hopefully, the upper management can improve the way they manage the company and treat the staff with better pay and benefits.

Pros

learn about pastries and coffee

Cons

long hours, no tips

If you value security and self-esteem, run

From the time I started, there were constantly people leaving. red flag #1. Coworkers and assistant management is usually great ! management and up is the problem. You get overworked, underpaid, no freedom, you are a robot there to do someone's bidding. RUN. They make you pay for your own shirts which ok... but like $70??? Not to mention you have to follow all the upper rules which yes is normal.. but they're so extreme. Like you get no breathing room.

Pros

money

Cons

Management, strange tip-payout, no work-life balance, either really short hours or really long, you're expected to do everything.

It’s okay

Fast passed; managements wasn’t great, some of the coworkers were nice. Requires a lot of cleaning and physical work. The pay rate was just okay and there are no benefits

Understaffed, Overworked

Understaffed which meant doing a ton of work. Fired people randomly. Coworkers and manager were AMAZING and loved working with them. Upper management was a nightmare, there is a high turnover rate for a reason. Don’t care about or listen to the employees that actually do the day to day work.

Unprofessional

Stay clear from this place if you are looking for steady employment. The odds of them keeping you as an employee is 50/50 good luck. It seems to be a place where it is a popularity thing whether you stay employed or not. Issues are not dealt with in a professional manner.

Fast pace, stressful

Understaffed and fast paced job. Minimal management and training. Very stingy on material. People are great though. Only worked with hard working people

Pros

Chill during non-peak hours

Cons

minimal management

Horrible experience

The people who run this place have no idea what they are doing. Constantly belittling and exploiting employees for their own benefit, only to fire them soon after inexplicably. I was barely trained then scolded when I did things "wrong", even though no one ever showed me how to do these things. The COO is miserable and is running the company to the ground, she watches the cameras 24/7, and the owner doesn't have a clue how to run a company. They don't listen to constructive criticism from the managers who actually work in the store, only the COO is right. Awful experience, horrible company.

Pros

Honestly.. None

Steer clear

I never felt appreciated working here. Definitely the most toxic workplace I've ever worked at. My coworkers were great people but everyone was treated unfairly by upper management. I was always being watched on the cameras by upper management and being micromanaged during every aspect of the job. Customers are fine, but I highly recommend getting a job elsewhere in the mall. This company is poorly managed and I had a fear I would get fired for some uncontrollable reason. My coworkers felt the same. Upper management is unprofessional, amateur, and rude.

Pros

Great coworkers

Cons

Micromanaging higher up's, toxic work environment

Friendly work environment

Friendly work environment I have worked for the company for 6+ years and I have always enjoyed coming to work.Coworkers are respectful of each other and work well together as a team. It is a great place to work and to learn about craft baking and quality products sold in a boutique setting.Opportunity for growthThe company provides opportunity for growth.I started as a part time sales associate, and I was promoted to store manager within a short period of time. Today I work at head office.I recommend this company to people who loves to work in an artisanal bakery environment.

Opportunities to progress/managers on you for customer service

Pay is average but there are lots of opportunities to advance if you do a good job and want to take on responsibility. Managers will be on you for customer service - lots of regular customers so the job is easy that way. Generally would recommend working here. .

Great training and grow and develop unique skills

A lot of training on coffee and food handling. Room to grow. Manager is helpful and ready to answer your questions. Very professional and clean place. Coworkers are amazing.

Owners are fantastic people.

The owners will work with you, be understanding of your needs and listen to suggestions. Store managers are some great people too. It's a fast-paced but friendly environment.

Pros

Free pastries in the lunch room, 20% employee discount in-store

Cons

No benefits

More than min.wage+tips+bonus

I have worked at Eaton centre location which is really busy store. Store was clean and has a washroom inside which is convenient. I received extra bonus which was nice. If you like fast paced I recommend working at this place

Pros

Free coffee per shift, bonus, tips, flexible schedule

extremely high staff turnover

They layoff people without reason, call them back in then lay them off again. too much work and extended hours everyday. incompetent assistant manager.

Pros

above minimum salary rate

Cons

extremely high staff turnover, too much work

Company Does Not Care About Its Employees

Does not care about the treatment of employees, gets staff to do tasks outside their pay grade, cheap quality products and not high enough standards for cleanliness

Pros

Very easy job

Cons

long hours, pays staff of the same position differently

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Danish Pastry House. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement