Dana Hospitality Employee Reviews

Not a fun place to work at
Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2018
The company doesn´t take care of its employees at all. One would think they would want to keep the people that work for them happy but the opposite is true. Banning them from entering all their properties after resignation? Banning them from taking food from a left-over buffet which will end up in garbage? No break down for gratuities so that people know what they are actually being paid for? I wouldn´t want my greatest enemies to work for these people.
13 years and nothing really to show for it
Chef Manager monitoring day to day operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2018
Hired to many managers who did not really know the business.
Stopped being a company that cared about the guys who helped build the company. Tried very hard to push out the higher salaries to bring in new staff at lower rates. Not good at all.
Management lacking
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2018
Management on some levels are very helpful. Direct management is lacking on the unit level. No much accountability or respect for staff. Over all not a bad company to work for
great work life balance
Current Role - Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2018
overall great place to work, salary not up to standard.
great work life balance , company showing potential growth. inconsistent management , company needs standard stability
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
salary rates
Excellent Supervisor and Team members.
General Helper (Current Employee) –  Sault-Sainte-Marie, ON17 May 2018
Exhilarating, unique and fast-paced, the environment supports growth and fosters hard work and dedication, I recommend this to any student looking to hone in and perfect their food production and catering skills.
Used for 5 years
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 April 2018
Worked very hard to be let go after 5 years. Worked weekends evening and some holidays using my own money to help my account to make money and progress.
working at the ski area
Barista at Marmot Basin (Current Employee) –  Jasper, AB7 March 2018
I've worked 5 day in a week. On the weekends was/is it always busy and sometimes very stressful but makes still fun. I like to be a Barista. I learned to make all kinds of Frappuccino and latte and to operate the till as well. I found all lot of friends at work, everybody is kind and friendly. We have a really good work climate
Pros
Free Lunches, Free Skipass, 50% Staff discount, Staff bus shuttle
Fun place to work
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jasper, AB7 March 2018
Fun place to work, lots of new people to meet, surrounded by hard working people, working in a beautiful place, good management, good hours, and 50% off food
Lazy chef manager
Cook (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 February 2018
Horrible place to work. I was told during interview that they have hard working chef managers who spend most time in kitchen rather than office. Not true at all. He sat in the office watching videos on phone while others did most of work. No leadership at all. Even district manager knew but refused to act. I ran as fast as I could in couple months. Please stay away from this bad culture.
Pros
Cons
Horrible management and work culture.
Not organized company
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 January 2018
Not a good pay many jobs to do on a everyday work manager don't have any respect for the cook 6am start working I did not enjoying working for Dana ::::
Pros
1 dollars
Cons
8 hours no over time
Avoid this place at all costs.
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON21 January 2018
An insufferable and toxic work environment at the TMMC plant in Cambridge. Lots of harassment and other forms of misconduct happening behind closed doors. Toyota is only now learning about the problem, but this problem seems to be integrated into the Dana Hospitality brand and is not something you can fix without starting up top. The “managers” and “supervisors” lack the fundamentals needed for the position. They have no respect for the people or property around them, and they encourage their staff members to bully and belittle those they deem less important than them.

Dana Hospitality offers no hospitality, and I wouldn’t wish for a job with them on my worst enemy.
Pros
None. Even the food is bad.
Cons
Anything and everything.
Unusual culture
District Manager (Former Employee) –  GTHA18 December 2017
not a profitable business model
not much in the way of structure
very unusual culture and executive team
very interesting diverse businesses to experience
some good nutritional knowledge gained.
Pros
freedom of schedule, diverse experience
Cons
lack of executive support
Not a positive work enviroment
Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 December 2017
There are serious institutional problems within the Dana hospitality group. The manager where I worked was left free to bully people (particularity the female staff), was constantly aggressive and picked and chose when he felt like paying over time and to whom. Any complaints or criticism fell on deaf ears and often lead to further bullying from the manager. In the time I was there this caused a constantly high tun over rate.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Pretty much everything else
A Great Growing Company with some growing pains
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 November 2017
I can't believe so many bad reviews here. As a Chef Manager for 3 years I have grown as a chef and have developed my culinary skills and leadership skills. I am not micro managed like some places but can reach out for help. There is a lack of communication from upper management but their is the support group to reach out to. . We cook from scratch and use local product.One day is Thai the next day can be Mexican.
Pros
Monday to Friday. Not Micromanaged. Lots of creativity.
Cons
Lack of communication from upper management.
Very disorganized management and unsuitable working conditions
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 November 2017
Very poor management, disorganized

Expected to prepare food for 500 students out of a kitchen designed to cook.

Incredibly understaffed

All blame falls on the employee and never management despite obvious lack of a sufficiently intelligent and capable management team.

The "corporate chef" (if you can call him that) that they brought in to get things running was an absolute idiot who sat on his phone outside smoking while the rest of the team toiled endlessly to try to prepare a quality meal despite the aforementioned issues.
Pros
hours were good
Cons
Disorganized, Management is majorly out of their depth from the top to the bottom
Nothing is fresh like they say and flies fly on there food
Front Cashier (Former Employee) –  Casino rama24 October 2017
Worked for them for about 10 months bad management and supervision sucks. hrs suck to not garanteed full time only manager and supervisors get full time and there friends do if they like you you might get it and don't expect them to let you call in if your sick or they will cut yr hrs down for punishment. Manager just sits there and textes her friend until there shift is over and goes home and god for bid you dont pay taxes there they wont give you the hrs
Pros
No midnight shifts
Cons
They want you for on call unless yr friends with managaer
Absolute nightmare company
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 October 2017
By far the worst place I have ever worked management are bunch of idiots who act like they are professionals when they are not and they treat u as if u are some kind of expandable person, absolutely garbage pay and the work environment is just horrible and worst management ever avoid this horrendous company I would recommend u to avoid working for this horrible company.
Pros
Monday to Friday
great place to work !!!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North York, ON4 October 2017
for the last 3 years i been there i have learn alot ..
a typical day at work is am the youngest person there is a cafeteria i get to see and service the same people over and over were are open only for breakfast and lunch..i get work in the kitchen with 5 different orderly woman from different background who i have came to love and care about there like my family away from home... the most enjoyable about of my job i can say is that even though i work in a kitchen tension maybe High people maybe yelling but you get use too it and learn not too take anything serious!!! learn to have a poker face!!!!
Pros
getting to move up fast
Cons
hardly any break
Fun atmosphere
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 September 2017
Days went by quickly and interactions with co workers were positive.Communicating with supervisors was easy to do and even when an issue arose I was comfortable approaching them.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
super early mornings
Great People
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 September 2017
There is flexibility with schedule, they are pretty reasonable and there is no micro managing. There is longevity in the company, people who have been here for 5,10,30, years.
Pros
Our food is amazing, It's fresh and locally bought, We are a growing company, People are really nice
Cons
We don't have a lunchroom at head office.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dana Hospitality. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9