Dalhousie University
Happiness score is 75 out of 100

Dalhousie University Employee Reviews

Canada172 reviews

Great place to work!

If lucky enough to get a job here, you will love it. Hours are great, staff wonderful to work with and close to other businesses so great connections made.

Pros

Great people, pays well, and room for advancement.

Cons

Some jobs rely on grants, so not permanent

productive and fun

Most of the time it is really quiet. Sometimes you might need to answer some phone calls and in-person inquiries. A great opportunity to gain some experience in equipment installed in the classroom

Insights into Dalhousie University

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

pay Scale is not worth, survival is dificult

pros: Good work EnvironmentLess meetingGiven a task and once complete, show a demo. Good benefits, but not worth if you are not paid enough. Cons: Salary pay is severely underrated. The salary they pay is not worth survival, if you have a family you have to do two jobs to make sure you meets your ends. Due to salary and other Needs, environment and work becomes overloaded. Management is not worth, if you report to 2 managers. Probation is too long, No Job Security. You are evaluated multiple times every week during probation which demotivates employees to quit earlierToo Much is expected within one month of Joining, to be running like a horse which is not possible if you work in big project. Legacy Coding standards.Making real hard for new Employees to stay and have a Job stability, unwillingness to change coding practices. Most Employees working there are way too old since 2000 and no progress has been made. so all in All stay away unless you get good Salary package which is basically an unrealistic dream.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

stressed work and less pay

Disappointing at best

Unsupportive management who are only out for themselves. Will take credit for work that you do, and are not supportive towards advancing your career, only their own

I worked in Custodial services. Great co-workers. Multicultural vibe. .

The work is often busy, especially in summer months if you work in residence. Great atmosphere. Usually friendly staff, co-workers and students. Fun atmosphere. Many campuses, many employees.

Pros

Decent pay, awaome health benefits, big pension, lots of time off, unionized.

Cons

Sometimes unorganized chaos.

Teaching assistant

It's a good place to start out. I worked part-time as a student and it all depends on what kind of professors you work with. Sometimes, it can be a bit boring.

Stable job, wonderful people.

Great job, good pay, secured, relaxed team environment. At least from my experience, they give you a lot of freedom, which is nice. But they are really traditional.

formal and organized place to work.

This is a very formal place to work. If you are interested in working with students, then this is the best place to work. Wages are relative low, but very undestandable stable.

Great colleagues, great work-life balance

I worked as a grant-paid full-time employee at the CS department of Dalhousie University. Very relaxed work environment. Pay is low but other benefits (i.e., paid off-day) are very good.

OK Place to Work

Dal is a huge organization with confusing hierarchical structures which take some time to get used to. The work environment truly depends on the department, however, most departments are understaffed so workload and work-life balance become problematic. In my unit, I've found there is a culture of work, work, work and pleads with management for more resources go unanswered, leading to employee burnout. Some employees have been with Dal 20-30 years, while there seems to be more turnover with younger managers. Flexible work arrangements have helped though as depending on the position you can either work remotely, on-site or a hybrid of the two. But great benefits and pension. IT positions are severely underpaid based on the market.

Pros

- Great benefits, Tuition waiver (depending on your type of employment), Good pension, Working at a place where cutting edge research is being held, Paid Christmas holiday closure (usually 1.5 weeks), Vacation package, Yearly salary increases until you reach the top of the scale, Many ways to get involved because of numerous committees, If hired as term typically there's lots of movement for more permanent opportunities

Cons

Long hours, Massive workloads, Senior leadership implements changes without understanding the effect, The cost of living adjustments don't cover inflation

A good place to study, a member of U15

Best university in Atlantic Canada. Some of the professors care about students' success, some professors should be fired to some extent. Generally, it is not bad.

Pros

A lot of summer courses

Cons

Tuition fee is high

Recommended

Good and supportive work culture. Encourages growth and personal development. You get to learn a lot and good place if you like to be socially active Highly recommended.

Pros

Competitive wages, Remote

Cons

Less hours per week

Work life balance but no management

The work life balance is great but there is no room for growth and management/training is very poor. If you are looking for low workload and happy in low wages and then it's a good place for you.

Pros

Overtime salary, very little workload

Cons

Very low wages and no collaboration and lack of management

Good employer

I enjoy working with Dalhousie. Not too stressful and not too fast-paced work environment. Great employer and restful working environment. Salaries are not great though

Conservative work environment

It is has a very conservative work culture and difficult to introduce a welcoming environment to those from outside the region (CFA'ers). Staff are suspicious of those from outside the region.

Pros

N/a

Cons

High income taxes, difficult to obtain a physician

TA - was fine

I have been a TA in the Engineering Math Department throughout my undergrad degree. The work was not challenging, and the pay was reasonable given the required tasks.

Productive and Comfortable work space.

My day used to start with very less work, I learned so much from them even including some life lessons, I don't have words to explain how awesome experience I have with every one of my team. If someone is lucky then they going to be a part of this wonderful team.

Pros

Nice Team and workspace

Cons

N/a

Great

Fun time, easy people to work with, entertainment. It depends on what I was volunteering when I was a performer and got free food, completely worth every minute.

Pros

free dinners

Cons

Na

Productive and easy going

I find working at Dalhousie as my first on-campus job in Canada. I work as an IT support person. My experience was really amazing as I have to face new challenges and I learn from those challenges. Therefore, it is an amazing workplace if you want to work part-time and earn good money.

It's what you would expect

Depending on your position this can be an awesome job to get you through the year. Not the best for people needing more money to support themselves, but its a good place to work, flexible, and easy going people.

Two Different Depts

I worked at the School of Education full time for 3 years when it was being rationalalized by the govand it was a great place to work--relaxed dress code and office environment. I then worked half time in this dept and half time in External Relations as my job in Education was being phased out. Two days a week for each dept. Then I worked full time for Ext Rel for 8 years.

Pros

1.5 hours for lunch paid, great health benefits

Cons

Boring repetitive work in Ext Relations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dalhousie University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement