Dalhousie University Employee Reviews

Great place to work as a student
TA (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 February 2019
Always loved coming into work. Employers made it easy to accommodate any school-related time conflicts. Learned how to manage my time better and how to act in a professional environment
It all depends on your faculty, department and management
C5 Clerk (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 February 2019
It's great that most jobs are Monday to Friday, no evenings or weekends. Nice variety of offices/faculties to be employed. Union and pension are great to have. Most difficult part is that there is no room for growth financially.
Great professional team to be apart of
Clerk, Office of the Registrar (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 February 2019
Various responsibilities included a lot of attention to detail and repetitive tasks that help train your eyes to read information quicker and type faster with more accuracy.
Opportunities to learn new systems and how to utilize them to better help the students and faculty alike.
Provides the chance to better understand the importance of handling each conversation you have with the utmost care.
Depends who you are working with
Teaching/Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canada11 February 2019
I am blessed with a very supportive professor who is willing to provide as many opportunities as possible as long as I am doing my job. My work is always appreciated.
Part time job at Unieversity
Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 February 2019
I was a system admin for Dalhousie while being a student. It was mostly fun and provided extra money for school and fun. I'm sure they would still offer part-=time postilions to students and it could be a good choice.
Great work environment
Sustainability Analyst (Co-Op Student) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 January 2019
Great place to learn while you work and contribute to many intelligent ideas in the scope of making a better society. Great work-life balance and salaries and overall welcoming campus environment.
Great.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 November 2018
It was great working as a TA for the professor at the time. It was a while ago, but I enjoyed learning from the experience and getting to work with the professor and students.
Organized and Friendly Environment
Manager, Ancillary Services (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 October 2018
Great supportive co-workers and upper management. The atmosphere is fun and exciting and helps to mitigate the mundane tasks of the position. Work is not challenging.
Good place to learn and grow
Ph.D Researcher (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 October 2018
I was a PHD student at Dalhousie for 5 years, great place to learn, good labs and support for graduate students. My suggestion is apply early for scholarships and grants.
Excellent Employer
Field Crop Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS16 October 2018
My time spent working as a research assistant for the university was exceptional. Great people and a wonderful working environment. Well managed and inspiring.
Office Assistant
Assistant of Chinese Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 September 2018
Engaged in large-scale activities for new international exchange students in order to help them quickly settle down their life in new environment. Arranged daily meeting schedule and logistics for project manager in major events at the university.
Pros
Free working time
Excellent
Research Assistant, Risk Analytics Lab (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 September 2018
Studying at Dalhousie is a breeze.

Fellow classmates are great, almost everyone is nice and helpful. Professors are mostly great, if you check out rate your professor, before you choose a course, you will learn a lot and have a great time.
Great learning opportunities
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS12 September 2018
Great place to work. Enjoyed interacting with the many students on campus. The work was diversified and interesting. Management was fair and easy to get along with.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor parking facilities
Great place to work, always learning something new everyday.
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS28 August 2018
Perfect place to work except the grant paid situation can be unpredictable. A work day could involve trouble-shooting equipment problems or teaching students lab techniques. There are always experiments to run and lab maintenance. The researchers can be a little disorganized at times, but they have to juggle many responsibilities so you get used to working independently. I've meet hundreds of students in the past 30 years of working here. All of them have been interesting and a few have been a challenge to work with but you quickly learn the art of diplomacy to handle whatever they throw at you. The most enjoyable part of my job was to teach and help students advance in their careers, the hardest part will be leaving.
Volunteer Based Job
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 August 2018
Volunteering for the Engineering Peer Mentorship Program at Dalhousie University developed my ability to work in teams. My colleagues and I were responsible for managing and implementing events for the Engineering Students.
It is a nice period of time and let me learn a lot
Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 July 2018
By participating this project I found that I can fit in a team very quick and learn knowledge with in a short period of time and hit the goal of the project. The biggest achievement is that I got the confidence. I believe that even without so much knowledge I can complete the project. I can work with other staffs within short period of time.

And working as a lab assistant in Dalhousie University, I improve my troubleshooting skills and the ability of oral communication.
Student
Marker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 May 2018
Dalhousie costs a lot of money to go here and i still cant get a job. I am a student and I wish the co-op program was better managed to facilitate employment.
Pros
accessible
Cons
lots of politics
good to be a TA
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 May 2018
nothing to complain. Normally 45 to 60 hours per semester, but I hope I can get more hours.
workload depends on the instructor, mine was good.
basically, assignments/reports/quizes marking
Univeristy
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS11 May 2018
It's a university so you get what you should be expecting. lots of really great people and a couple really terrible people who are out to make your life hard. Make sure you meet everyone in your group.
Great supervisors and coworkers
Proctor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 May 2018
-I greatly improved my multitasking skills while working as a proctor
-The work environment is made even more comfortable with approachable supervisors