Dalhousie University

Dalhousie University Employee Reviews

Canada152 reviews
It's what you would expect
Depending on your position this can be an awesome job to get you through the year. Not the best for people needing more money to support themselves, but its a good place to work, flexible, and easy going people.
Two Different Depts
I worked at the School of Education full time for 3 years when it was being rationalalized by the govand it was a great place to work--relaxed dress code and office environment. I then worked half time in this dept and half time in External Relations as my job in Education was being phased out. Two days a week for each dept. Then I worked full time for Ext Rel for 8 years.
Pros
1.5 hours for lunch paid, great health benefits
Cons
Boring repetitive work in Ext Relations.
Great
Great place to work, very nice and they worked with my schedule as a student. Gave me all the training I needed. was able to work from home at my own pace
Nice Professor
The professors give the instruction clearly and help you quite friendly if there is a problem. It is a good experience to help correct the exams for C programming students.
Great place to work with
Working with students and researching at Dalhousie is probably one of the best things I've done. The university is very accommodating and the facilities are kept nice.
Closed off. dark mood.
The room you work in for the phonanthon (at least when I worked there) took place in a dark, closed-off room that brought the whole mood down. The hours weren't that great. 5 pm - 10:45pm weekdays 1pm - 6pm weekends. And the pay wasn't very good. The people and supervisors were super awesome but the environment, hours, and pay left something to be desired.
I am still a student here
I am enjoying studying at here.
Computer science professors are really kind. They would like to help anybody when they met a problem.

Dalhousie also have a learning center, there always have the TAs can help student to study.
Good organization
Wonderful organization to work for. Everyone working towards a common goal and on the same page. Lots of opportunity for growth and everyone is super friendly!
Excellent experience, Excellent bosses, Excellent co-workers.
Excellent experience
Excellent bosses

Excellent co-workers

Great place to learn and grow

Very flexible hours and good life-work balance

Some health benefit.
Great Colleagues
Supportive environment with wonderful colleagues. Dal has an incredible impact on the community and it is wonderful to feel part of this impact. I look forward to the next 200 years of stories.
Learned and Enjoyed the work environment.
I enjoyed working at Dalhousie, I was manager of the Bistro there. And Had the ability to be creative for the students there and have fun. It gave me the opportunity to manage a small facility and learn new skills.
Enhanced my communication and leadership skills
In the span of about four years, I have tutored several students and enjoyed learning and strengthening my own concepts. I tutored mostly Chemistry and Calculus.
Good opportunity
It's a very good University. It provides very good learning support in various engineering programs, especially in civil engineering. The campus of civil engineering has been renovated.
Innovative and Creative work environment
Innovative and Creative work environment. Diverse and inclusive. I learned new skills and developed myself as a researcher. I took part in oncampus activities which helped me learn new experiences.
good place to develop technical skills, and learn learnt most of my technical skills dealing with projects. it was a student job, the manager is the
good place to develop technical skills, and learn
learnt most of my technical skills dealing with projects.

it was a student job, the manager is the best you could as for
normal workplace
not a very ideal and not a very agonizing workplace
Needs better management system in order to stick people into their job in the work time

Facility management is poor
Fun place
Experience during my tenure will be cherished. I worked as a Cashier at the bookstore for 2 weeks. Management was kind and patient with all employees and made sure the representatives understood their work protocols right.
Great place
Cant wait to get back. I spent two years in Dal and loved it cant wait to continue into a working relastionship.
Research is so interesting, and the supports are amazing
Facilities Management is horribly run!
I was a term for a year in Facilities Management. I never took a day off, worked hard and tried to take pride in my work. There was only 1 supervisor who ever gave me a chance. I was used to cover for vacations, chewed up then spat out. I'm sure it would have been great if I could have gotten past the term stage, but I feel my term wasn't extended due to me going to the union over a previous issue. If you are starting out you have no rights! They cut me down from 40 hrs a week to just 16 on weekends. One of the supervisors even lied, saying I turned down work when she never offered me anything to begin with! I would have loved to stay there and be part of the team. The workers all seem so great but management and HR are hard to deal with.
Pros
Good pay, pension and benefits
Cons
Management and HR sucks and they lie with no repercussions
Great place to work with fantastic people
Coordinating and overseeing resources (equipment and scheduling staff) for all video conferencing events at the University. Determining resources (rooms, bridge ports, network connections, technical resources) required for sessions and assign resources based on availability and program policies.
Identifying and making recommendations related to the implementation of new technologies and services that present opportunities to increase the overall effectiveness of video conferencing use in the delivery of distance education.

The work place culture us great and the people are great. the hardest part of the job is the salary and the monthly pay cycle.
Pros
the people
Cons
salary
Student - TA
As a Teacher assistant and Tutor for French at Dalhousie University I can safely say that it is a very professional and serious faculty. I loved working with the department, specifically the French department in the Faculty of Arts. They provide lots of support for their students!