Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

exciting and challenging.
FOOD SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wakaw, SK9 March 2018
working at this company challenged me to gain more knowledge when it comes to desserts, it was enjoyable and exciting too! making the curl was a little bit hard to learn but a little practice makes it perfect.
Fun place to work
Chill person (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK7 March 2018
I love working for this company. Management comes in and helps, they interact with their customers. The people I work with are amazing and really fun.
Pros
Management is awesome for working with your schedules.
Cons
Doesn't pay enough
Only as good as management
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 March 2018
Initially work was fun and a learning experience. But owners had much of the influence in the store which interrupted a lot with managers and supervisors delegation.
Since it was locally owned no one could say anything about it!
Pros
Fun staff
Cons
Not so fun owners
Fun place to work,
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  BC5 March 2018
Dairy Queen was a fun and educational place to work. The management was excellent with very friendly and supportive managers. Dairy Queen helped me improve all of my customer service skills and helped me get over my shyness. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with everyone from the managers and staff to the customers.
Pros
50% off an hour before and after work, 10% off all the time.
Cons
Not a lot of work in the winter.
fast paced environment
Front Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK4 March 2018
I enjoyed working here. Point of Sales knowledge, responsible for making the drinks, ice cream items. Took orders and filled them. Made sure everything was running smoothly.
Pros
fun
Cons
low hours
High Stress and Unfair treatment
Front Staff (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 March 2018
At first the job seems to be going well, but as soon as you're done your first couple of weeks that is when things start to go down hill. While I was there the management made several staff cry for no reason other than they were having a bad day and wanted to take it out on the staff. Some days would be great, while others would be awful. I'm a firm believer that you should never be scared to go to your job. and for the later half of my time there I feared going to work because it was a guessing game on if I would be treated as a human, or as a piece or dirt. They also never give raises and are constantly giving you promises that they will never keep. They also do not care if you have health issues, they would rather you die at work than leave early to go to the hospital.
Pros
The non-management staff is great, you get to make ice cream all day, washing the dishes is fun there
Cons
They don't give you any respect
Friendly place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON2 March 2018
Staff are overall very friendly and nice. Not many other employees making it difficult to get shifts covered. Organization effort is noted but not always effective.
Pros
half price food during shift
Cons
not very clean
nice
Cashier/Food preparer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON1 March 2018
I loved working here amd making all the different kinds of ice cream and just being able to just not get crazy stressed because its just making ice cream, theres nothing stressful about that,
Pros
ice cream
Cons
managers
Productive work place with team work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB28 February 2018
The experience working with a team is the best thing about this job. There were opportunities with higher wages, and advancements. The employer was friendly and was willing to help with any issues.
Pros
reduced price on food
Cons
not enough hours
fun workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Courtice, ON28 February 2018
Met lots of friends and had a good time. It was a good first job experience, time off was good and they worked around my school schedule really well. Overall it was a good experience
Good managment
Grill worker (Former Employee) –  Stayner, ON28 February 2018
The management was good the people that worked there were very nice. However, it lacks the ability to advance in position. Overall good temporary job however not a great permanent position
good place for a first job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 February 2018
a typical day at work would be taking orders and making them as well as cleaning the store when its not busy. what i learned at dairy queen was how to make blizzards lol. the management personally sucked at my location, but they were super understanding with personal issues. the hardest part of my job was multitasking taking the drive-thru orders and making them at the same time. most enjoyable part was free lunch
Pros
free lunch
Cons
messy
Great coworkers, messy and disorganized management
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON27 February 2018
Loved working with my co-workers, it fun, easy, and easily adaptable. However, hours are very minimal and we are worked ruthlessly with as minimal staff the owner can get away with. A few managers are very rude. DQ is kind of like a high-school, its a bit crazy how much one manager acts like a teenage girl in terms of maturity.
Pros
50% off food and ice cream
Cons
almost everything
High Stress, Good Staff
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 February 2018
A typical day at work really depends on the time of the year. In the summer it's always a busy, stressful day. The most valuable skill I learned while working here is the importance of communication. Without proper communication, it is impossible to get the job done fast and efficiently. My favourite part about the job was definitely my co-workers. They make the fast pace, high stress environment so much more comfortable.
Pros
Good Management, Easy to Learn Skills
Cons
Short Breaks
Great summer time job
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON26 February 2018
If working in the summer, your hours are really great. As you get to the start of the school year, barely any hours. The culture and management was a bad experience for me (not very friendly). I learned problem solving and how to work as a team if something goes wrong. Most enjoyable part is probably being around co workers that genuinely care about you.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Bad management
Amazing place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC26 February 2018
Very well cleaned and very good food and drinks and ice cream, can’t wait for the 1/2 day it’s gonna be a good one so many deals so many customers woo hoo
It was a good start off job
Kitchen worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2018
I learnt how to work a cash register and how to properly communicate to customers. At the place i worked at the management wasn't the best but i had a great time and the people were really nice and welcoming.
Great work environment
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON23 February 2018
Being a member of the Dairy Queen staff was an amazing experience and taught me about the values and importance of the customer service industry. I learned proper customer service techniques as well as many important skills, such as operating the cash register as well as opening and closing the store.
Pros
amazing co-workers
Cons
busy rush hours
easy
Supervisor/Cashier Saskatoon & Swift Current (Former Employee) –  Swift Current, SK21 February 2018
I loved working at dairy queen. Great environment and awesome coworkers. Money isn't the best & hours could have been better. But all in all I had fun working when I did.
boring
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB20 February 2018
The typical day there was quite boring. Business is slow in the winter and fall but way to busy in the summer for a small little ice cream place. But the people were good.
Pros
ice cream
Cons
slow