Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Laid back
GRILL & CHILL WORKER (Current Employee) –  Emerald Park, SK21 March 2018
Pretty good place to work, everyone was very friendly and pleasant to work with. The hardest part about working there was taking confusing orders from customers.
enjoyable place
SUPERVISOR/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2018
nice place to work, a lot of great people. I think dairy queen is a great first job for anyone to have it helped my gain customer service skills along with how to properly multitask.
Pros
you get to work with ice cream
Cons
not enough hours
Fast Food
Fast food worker (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB19 March 2018
Great job while going to high school. Nice people. worked as cook and cleaning. Not a bad job for kids going to high school. Good burgers and ice cream.
Pros
Good student job
Great work environment
Store Front (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON17 March 2018
Great environment and provides excellent customer service experience. The regular customers are the best part of every shift because they are so lovely to talk to and serve.
an excptional place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 March 2018
making ice cream food,making sandwiches, fries, onion rings, wiping down seats and tables, wiping down windows, sweeping and moping down the floor, wiping down counter tops.
Good Job
SHIFT LEADER (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BC15 March 2018
Fast paced environment, with co-operative co workers and lots of opportunities for building communication skills and responsibility. Great atmosphere, building costumer service skills.
Amazing coworkers and a fun environment!
FOOD PREP/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON15 March 2018
Dairy Queen is a lovely place to work. I learned a ton and enjoyed every aspect of it. The customers come first and tend to be relatively happy with the good customer service that we tried very hard to provide. During the day, I got to meet and speak with people from all over and laugh and smile with them. I considered this the best part of the job. I also enjoyed working as a team rather than by myself!Management is decent and respectful most of the time.
Pros
1/2 off your food- 30 mins before/after work.
Cons
A lot of drama.
Great Team Enviroment
Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 March 2018
Typical day: Generally most days include serving customers, making ice cream, cleaning up.

What I've learned: Teamwork is key! Encourage each other to to their best. Thank each other for the hard work at the end of shift.

Management: Our store manager is great when it comes to accommodating schedules around school or family events if given enough notice (normally around 4 weeks ahead of time, or for the new schedule to be posted), but can give time off for emergencies if needed.

Workplace culture: Since it's a great place to work at during college or university a lot of us at either current students or previously student. Great place to make new friends.Very easy to fit in.

Hardest part of the job: I'll be honest, dealing with irate customers in a calm and de-escalating manner. Had a few threats thrown my way despite my calm demeanor.

Best part of the job: Working with great people, and seeing kid's eyes light up when we flip blizzards for them!
Pros
50% off $10 worth of food
Cons
No health or dental benefits
Employees are very rude
Tobi Manger (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB12 March 2018
Getting pushed around by people
i learned the till and how to cook/make ice cream
boss is very rude
hardest part was learning to ignore the drama of the employees
most enjoyable is getting to make new friends and the costumers
Pros
50% off
Cons
The People and Boss are very rude
fast paced, great work environement
Cooking specialist (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB12 March 2018
I had a great time working at dq. all the staff memebers were so nice, it was like my second home. my day would consist of doing kitchen maintence and preping all of the condiments and meats.
Pros
discounts, a lot of shifts needed to be picked up
Cons
long days, sometimes it could get over whelming
nice work environment
Front Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  nb9 March 2018
really enjoyed my job liked interacting with the same regular customers on a daily basis the management was decent the hardest part of my job was big rushes by myself
exciting and challenging.
FOOD SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wakaw, SK9 March 2018
working at this company challenged me to gain more knowledge when it comes to desserts, it was enjoyable and exciting too! making the curl was a little bit hard to learn but a little practice makes it perfect.
Fun place to work
Chill person (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK7 March 2018
I love working for this company. Management comes in and helps, they interact with their customers. The people I work with are amazing and really fun.
Pros
Management is awesome for working with your schedules.
Cons
Doesn't pay enough
Only as good as management
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 March 2018
Initially work was fun and a learning experience. But owners had much of the influence in the store which interrupted a lot with managers and supervisors delegation.
Since it was locally owned no one could say anything about it!
Pros
Fun staff
Cons
Not so fun owners
Fun place to work,
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  BC5 March 2018
Dairy Queen was a fun and educational place to work. The management was excellent with very friendly and supportive managers. Dairy Queen helped me improve all of my customer service skills and helped me get over my shyness. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with everyone from the managers and staff to the customers.
Pros
50% off an hour before and after work, 10% off all the time.
Cons
Not a lot of work in the winter.
fast paced environment
Front Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK4 March 2018
I enjoyed working here. Point of Sales knowledge, responsible for making the drinks, ice cream items. Took orders and filled them. Made sure everything was running smoothly.
Pros
fun
Cons
low hours
High Stress and Unfair treatment
Front Staff (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 March 2018
At first the job seems to be going well, but as soon as you're done your first couple of weeks that is when things start to go down hill. While I was there the management made several staff cry for no reason other than they were having a bad day and wanted to take it out on the staff. Some days would be great, while others would be awful. I'm a firm believer that you should never be scared to go to your job. and for the later half of my time there I feared going to work because it was a guessing game on if I would be treated as a human, or as a piece or dirt. They also never give raises and are constantly giving you promises that they will never keep. They also do not care if you have health issues, they would rather you die at work than leave early to go to the hospital.
Pros
The non-management staff is great, you get to make ice cream all day, washing the dishes is fun there
Cons
They don't give you any respect
Friendly place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON2 March 2018
Staff are overall very friendly and nice. Not many other employees making it difficult to get shifts covered. Organization effort is noted but not always effective.
Pros
half price food during shift
Cons
not very clean
nice
Cashier/Food preparer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON1 March 2018
I loved working here amd making all the different kinds of ice cream and just being able to just not get crazy stressed because its just making ice cream, theres nothing stressful about that,
Pros
ice cream
Cons
managers
Productive work place with team work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB28 February 2018
The experience working with a team is the best thing about this job. There were opportunities with higher wages, and advancements. The employer was friendly and was willing to help with any issues.
Pros
reduced price on food
Cons
not enough hours