Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Shawnessy Dairy Queen Calgary Alberta
front counter associate (Former Employee) –  calgary alberta shawnessy3 May 2018
The General Manager's attitude is inappropriate towards customers. I completely understand why the customers are dissatisfied. Schedules are well maintained and the restaurant is clean but the general manager of the shawnessy branch responds in anger to customers often. Certain employees and low level managers were very good at their jobs and responded well to customers.
Pros
good employees, good supervisors, shift managers, owners
Cons
irratated general manager, micromanegment
Great first job
Fast Food Worker (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC3 May 2018
Had a great two years while working at dairy queen, was underpaid even after working there for 2 years, only had one raise the entire time. Was a good first job while going through first years of high school and reasonable hours after school. Management could've used a little work
Pros
Great environment
Cons
pay
Fun and productive workplace
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ON2 May 2018
In a typical day the following would be completed:
• Receive customer food and beverage orders
• Prepare customer orders
• Receive payments via cash, debit or credit card
• Ensure customer satisfaction
• Maintain a clean and tidy work environment throughout shift

I really enjoyed the work environment for my first work experience.
productive, fast paced, fun work place
Supervisor, Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 May 2018
I would get to work and start by getting the store open and ready to serve customers. Secondly I would get the crew/myself set up for the rest of our shift, making sure we have everything we need for our busy day ahead. I have learned how to manage a company and staff. Also to manage and solve very tough situations that arrive during a shift whether it's with customers or within the work place itself. It is a very fast paced work place and must be ready for any situation/rush to arrive. The hardest part is when you have a line up out the door and your boards are filled and you have customers that aren't understanding of the fact or not listen to their numbers being called therefore orders being missed or re-made. But if you have a good system you will be okay! The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to make customers happy and satisfied with there visit! And most of all they will keep coming back because you take the time to make sure all there needs are met.
Just ok
Food Counter Attendant/Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  Estevan, SK30 April 2018
The work is easy but most of my coworkers have an attitude and try to ruin someone else's reputation. The management is ok and the owners are very kind.
Horrible managment
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 April 2018
My franchise's owner is very inconsiderate and honestly inappropriate with his employee's. My coworkers also dislike the management here. They are very inconsistent with scheduling.
Pros
a conditional discount
Cons
management
Fast paced environment
Cashier and Drive (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2018
A typical work day consists of working with coworkers and providing a clean and positive environment for customers.
The hardest part of the job is to keep up with the pace of the store but it was not that difficult after working there for a couple of days.
Fantastic place with fantastic management
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK27 April 2018
Efficient employees and quick service in the way that they know how to rush to make whatever a person orders in the blink of an eye. Ten out of ten times I would go back there.
Not the most productive workplace
Cashier and Grill (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON24 April 2018
Theres little management and very unorganised. Went through 3 different owners within a year. I learned many different things, became cross trained which was the most enjoyable part about working there. the hours were terrible. There was no supervisor, shift leads or management at all. Half of the time the employees aged 14-20 were running the store with little experience.
Work
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 April 2018
By myself cooked and prepped food and cleaned equipment on a daily basis, Manager was unquiafied to run the store and would not requment her to work in a food industry
Pros
easy going
Cons
under equiped

Want to know more about Dairy Queen?

Ask a question
Alright But Not The Best
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB23 April 2018
It's an alright job for beginners, not for someone who cannot handle stress well. There's not a lot of room for advancement. Supervisors may treat adolescent employees with little to no respect depending on age.
An okay place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Comox Valley, BC23 April 2018
Enjoyed it at Dairy Queen other than the management. A good company to work for, especially as a teenager, but can become stressful at times. You are expected to do lots of tasks that sometimes can be difficult to handle.
Fun place to work, I loved my staff and making delicious treats for customers
team member (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 April 2018
This was my first job and I could not have thought of a better one. All of the staff and management were welcoming and helped train me efficiently and in a friendly respectful manner. There were cons, but more pros and I would definitely get another job at Dairy Queen as the only reason I left was due to education. I learned a lot about customer service and dealing with many different types of customers in many different types of situations. The staff was by far the best, it was more a little family at my particular location than a work group.
Pros
50% discount while working, 20% while not
Fast-food job, great for high school
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB22 April 2018
I learned to work as a part of a team, under a fair amount of pressure and in a very timely manner. I learned how to interact with management and coworkers, and made lots of friends! Although balancing a part-time job with school wasn't easy, it was worth it to experience the workplace at a young age!
Pros
Close to school, good hours
This is more of a place to eat, than work
Cashier/Fry cook/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 April 2018
I really hated this job. Your co-worker have no respect for you. They don't help new employees, you're on your own to learn everything. The management is complete trash that don't care for their workers needs.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
Kind and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB21 April 2018
Working at Dairy Queen taught me a lot about working and responsibility. As my first job, the management were very understanding and helpful if I had any questions about my new job. The only complaint I had was working until 11 or 12 on a school night, even though the staff knew I had school the next day. Other than that, I loved the girls I worked with and I made good money for a student in high school.
Pros
Good time for breaks
Cons
Late nights on school nights
Last Resort Only
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 April 2018
Poor management with even worse owners. Oshawa, ON Dairy Queen's are owned by individuals who do not care about the well being of their employees and are only concerned with profit.
it was a good workplace for a first job
part timer (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB17 April 2018
the management is really good and it's a good work place for a long tram or short time job the people are vary welcoming and friendly.
staff members not friendly
Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 April 2018
Never saw management so work is pretty laid back. Other staff members not welcoming or friendly. Actual job requirements are not difficult. This job made me learn about customer service and how to deal with difficult situations.
it was a good job just not for me
All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC15 April 2018
I enjoyed working for the company I was 13 when I started. It was a great job for it being my first one I would recommend it to anyone. Unfortunately it just wasn't the job for me
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
drunk people coming in