Dairy Queen
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Canada1,824 reviews

Found 1,824 reviews matching the searchSee all 16,302 reviews

Great place to work if the people there are great. Normal fast food place otherwise

I loved my manager at the location I was working at. She was super understanding of me being a student. The people there were great and was part one of the reason I stayed there for so long. Besides that, it was like any other fast-food job. Fast-paced, lots and lots of cleaning and dealing with customers.

Don't work here!

I loved most of the customers and my coworkers were amazing. The manager on the other hand swears at employees, doesn't give raises or promotions. Will work you to the bone then get mad when you sat no to coming in on your day off. The manager has also made many employees cry in my few months of being there. Do not work here. It's a very toxic environment.

Pros

50% discount, great coworker

Cons

Working 9 or more days in a row, manager swears at employees, has no respect for employees in school or those who have families.

Eh, it's a job

not much different than other fast food jobs, but it honestly comes to down to management/owner of the place on how it runs, some like it by the book while others are more "relaxed" with ruling and stuff

Pros

met some cool people, got some experience for the future

Cons

horrible management, lack of by the book training, some customers are genuinely awful to work with

Stressful place, harsh managers.

You will have a hard time balancing your life. It’s hard to take a day off and almost impossible to find someone to take your shift. No one actually likes working here.

I loved it!

Dairy Queen was by far my best job, they were very clean, everybody and I mean everybody was so nice, they respected your hours eg, I gave them a time that would work best for me and they would use if for schedule. It wasn’t too fast pace but not slow ether, their uniform was black pants and the dq shirt. By far my best job

Pros

50% off your lunch

Fast-paced but good people and fun when you're young

As a cook, I got to always make food whenever there were no incoming orders and there was always free ice cream too. Good group of people but it was often very chaotic.

Pros

Food

Cons

Managment

Okay place to work at, horrible coworkers

Maybe it was just my location but the coworkers were horrible. Plus I did the same hard work as everyone working there but the manager tried to pay me as little as possible (13 dollars an hour). You will constantly be talked about behind your back and your coworkers have no shame in being rude to nice customers. Also expect to always be covered in ice cream because of the blizzard machine. Ice cream went into my eyes more times than I can count

Pros

Free lunch, flexible hours, great manager

Cons

Horrible coworkers, bad pay, messy work

Do not work here if you want to be treated fairly or with respect.

I worked at the Dairy Queen in Barrhaven for many years. It wasn’t until my final summer there that I received my first raise, which amounted to 50 cents more per hour. Unfortunately, the owners of the store care far more about making money than they do the treatment of their employees. During the summer, they will come in during a busy day with a lineup out the door and expect us to make a meal and treats for a group of their family members, not once leaving a tip for staff members. Promoted shift supervisors are often told they will be given a raise after a several month probationary period only to find they are not given what they are promised. Staff are constantly being watched through the stores cameras to make sure they are not standing around but are also expected to answer calls and come in to help outside of their scheduled hours if need be. Equipment is old and broken as money is rarely invested into anything new. They do not pay overtime, despite some employees working more than 40 hours a week, especially around holiday seasons. There are no tables or chairs in the back, so employees are expected to eat on the back counter where product is kept/prepared, while sitting on dirty overturned milk crates (which often break or fall out from under people while they eat). The list goes on.Overall, the staff at this Dairy Queen are exceptionally friendly, but unfortunately the management does not treat them the way they deserve. Most staff members often start out as enthusiastic hard workers, but shortly thereafter become more complacent because of how unfairly everyone -

Pros

Cons

Low pay, unfair treatment, no opportunity for advancement

Fun work place, nice customers

I like it! Nice coworkers, i have made some of my best friends by working here. The dairy queen i work at is pretty much like right beside my house.i like this job because its fun seeing customers faces light up when i bring them blizzards, a burger etc. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to get the icecream out of the choclate when it falls in 😂 overall i give dairy queen a solid 8/10 !! would recommend working here for a first job (like im doing).

Pros

Shshsh

Cons

shshs

fun workplace, good coworkers

its easy to learn I enjoyed my time there, good co-workers, it can be busy at times but time kills fast so its okay. I would recommend working there, we make cakes tooo.

Pros

free ice cream

Cons

short hours

Fun workplace

My former boss is awesome. My former co workers are fun to work with. Good place to gain work experience. Just be patient with customers and be on task.

Fast-paced but Fun Place to Work

This is a great starter job. It's minimum-wage to start, and theres not much advancing you can do in terms of wages and positions. A typical day would be taking orders and preparing ice cream/food products, as well as cleaning and keeping everything stocked. It's a fast food restaurant, so expect to be on your feet all day in a fast-paced environment to meet time quotas. That being said, the team members are excellent and there's a great sense of teamwork. I never made enemies with any of my coworkers. The shifts go by fast and it's overall a fun place to work. Supervisors are expected to do some work thats usually handled by management in other businesses. However, it was good experience and knowledge to have learned. The management was sometimes a bit much in my experience but they maintained good personal relations with their staff and I could tell their staff mattered to them. Scheduling is very loose and flexible, I was rarely denied a day off in 6 years, but in turn it is released weekly which provides shorter notice for shifts. Work hard & have fun and you will excel at Dairy Queen.

Pros

Fun workplace environment, discounted food, good owners, friendly co-workers

Cons

Short notice for schedule, varying hours, no benefits, can be stressful

flexible schedule

Flexible schedule, I was able to manage school and work. Could work as little as one shift a week or every 2 weeks. Most of management was kind and fun to get along with. Sometimes I would be left to work front and drive through alone and was non efficient and stressful.

Pros

Schedule flexibility

Cons

understaffing & dealing with rude customers

Alright

I enjoyed working at Dairy Queen, all of the other employees were quite nice, however don’t expect to be paid any more than minimum wage as the stores would rather hire a new person than pay an experienced member more.

Pros

In store discount

Cons

The in store discount used to be more

Just don’t

By far the worst place i’ve ever worked. Managers don’t care to train people therefore half of the employees didn’t know what they were doing. Terrible

Pros

Holiday bonus

Cons

Terrible manage

Good work environment

Great to work for but kitchen cook has to work alone once trained . A lot of stress on one person to do the shifts alone and cook for all orders with only one kitchen staff on at a shift .

Pros

Good food

Cons

Fast pace

Toxic work environment at Amherst DQ

The work environment was toxic. If dairy queen wasn't your life you were ostracized by managment. The understaffing got to the degree that they couldn't keep new staff longer than a month or two. Sometimes less. On top of that they would take away their employees work incentive over a mistake. I had to leave when they made me serve 1/3 lbs. burgers with only one 1/4 pound patty, ripping off their customers.

Cons

Hot, Fastpaced, Understaffing, and the general toxicity

Horrible Place to work

poor management, lots of teenage girls which ends up in a lot of drama. the owner picks favourites and if you aren’t one of them you’re going to feel like an outcast. it will make you hate working here. this is the location at the boardwalk

Pros

free food

Cons

the boss

Fun Workplace but not great pay

I enjoyed working here but eventually, the pay wasn't worth it and I moved on. There are opportunities to advance. If you are in high school it is a great job.

Horrible place to work

Managers treat employees like we’re not even people we get yelled at for simple things there are favorites and it’s very noticeable and it’s absolutely awful

Pros

Cons

Everything is bad

Not a good environment

A friend got me hired, and it was horrible. She loves it though….. guess it’s just not for everyone. Really hope it works out for anyone else though. It’s an okay first job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dairy Queen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.6K