Dairy Queen Employee Reviews for Cashier

Fast paced environment
Cashier and Drive (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2018
A typical work day consists of working with coworkers and providing a clean and positive environment for customers.
The hardest part of the job is to keep up with the pace of the store but it was not that difficult after working there for a couple of days.
Alright But Not The Best
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB23 April 2018
It's an alright job for beginners, not for someone who cannot handle stress well. There's not a lot of room for advancement. Supervisors may treat adolescent employees with little to no respect depending on age.
Fast-food job, great for high school
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB22 April 2018
I learned to work as a part of a team, under a fair amount of pressure and in a very timely manner. I learned how to interact with management and coworkers, and made lots of friends! Although balancing a part-time job with school wasn't easy, it was worth it to experience the workplace at a young age!
Pros
Close to school, good hours
Kind and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB21 April 2018
Working at Dairy Queen taught me a lot about working and responsibility. As my first job, the management were very understanding and helpful if I had any questions about my new job. The only complaint I had was working until 11 or 12 on a school night, even though the staff knew I had school the next day. Other than that, I loved the girls I worked with and I made good money for a student in high school.
Pros
Good time for breaks
Cons
Late nights on school nights
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
daily activities included making blizzards preparing and bagging food and answering and customer questions. all employess had great relationships with one annother
It was ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2018
Very flexible schedules, nice managers and fairly easy job. The scheduling was very unorganized and the pay was also very unorganized. Some parts were uncleanly.
stressful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 March 2018
I rarely got hours, I would always call but management would forget they hired me and not put me on the schedule so I quit shortly after I was hired, overall a bad experience and I'm hoping to find a better experience next time i get a job.
Do not work in the walkerton dariy queen
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Walkerton, ON22 March 2018
accuse me of doing drugs at work brought up my family history about drugs and alcohol abuse and cut hour down to 32 ever 2wk. Was promise 40 ever 2wk.
Pros
Cons
Hour getting cut..
productive, fast-paced and nice environment
Cashier, Order Taker, Ice Cream Maker (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 March 2018
working at DQ is a very good way to start your job experience. Overall, the customers aren't too bad, it does get very busy and the worst part is that there isn't enough staff booked on shift. However, it is always great when you serve polite and talkative people and having great co-workers and managers is a big plus
Pros
flexible with your availability
Friendly place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON2 March 2018
Staff are overall very friendly and nice. Not many other employees making it difficult to get shifts covered. Organization effort is noted but not always effective.
Pros
half price food during shift
Cons
not very clean
Productive work place with team work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB28 February 2018
The experience working with a team is the best thing about this job. There were opportunities with higher wages, and advancements. The employer was friendly and was willing to help with any issues.
Pros
reduced price on food
Cons
not enough hours
Great coworkers, messy and disorganized management
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON27 February 2018
Loved working with my co-workers, it fun, easy, and easily adaptable. However, hours are very minimal and we are worked ruthlessly with as minimal staff the owner can get away with. A few managers are very rude. DQ is kind of like a high-school, its a bit crazy how much one manager acts like a teenage girl in terms of maturity.
Pros
50% off food and ice cream
Cons
almost everything
High Stress, Good Staff
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 February 2018
A typical day at work really depends on the time of the year. In the summer it's always a busy, stressful day. The most valuable skill I learned while working here is the importance of communication. Without proper communication, it is impossible to get the job done fast and efficiently. My favourite part about the job was definitely my co-workers. They make the fast pace, high stress environment so much more comfortable.
Pros
Good Management, Easy to Learn Skills
Cons
Short Breaks
Amazing place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC26 February 2018
Very well cleaned and very good food and drinks and ice cream, can’t wait for the 1/2 day it’s gonna be a good one so many deals so many customers woo hoo
boring
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB20 February 2018
The typical day there was quite boring. Business is slow in the winter and fall but way to busy in the summer for a small little ice cream place. But the people were good.
Pros
ice cream
Cons
slow
Fun job!!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC30 January 2018
This was probably my favourite job I’ve had! My manager was really nice and worked around my hours. It was fun and I really miss it! Should’ve never left!!! Only reason I left it because I let someone get to me (my mistake)! But great job
Pros
50% off, good manager, good hours
Relaxed work environment with king and helpful supervisors
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB29 January 2018
When I first started working the supervisors were very friendly and helpful in getting me acquainted with my position. The interface and system of the cashier to kitchen to customer process was fairly streamlined and worked in a manageable fashion. Colleagues were quick to provide assistance to areas in need. Hardest part is in the very beginning when one needs to memorize and learn about all the new equipment, but after that, the most challenging aspect of the job is simply maintaining a cheery attitude with customers.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
low hours during non-summer seasons
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ponoka, AB27 January 2018
Had fun working here it was my first job made new friends , learned how to cook and handle cash. It was a good first job to have. I enjoyed working here
Customers and staff are friendly
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 January 2018
Quit during the summer and came back a couple months ago due to another job not working out. Was happy to be back, although since being gone, new manager was hired and isn’t doing what he is supposed to be doing as a manager. Got hired as full time but after the Christmas season they cut everyone back to part time.
Pros
Coworkers
productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2018
very nice boss every one is very helpful. everyone there is very nice it is a very fun place to work at. there is no benifit which is bad but other than that everything is great