Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Pleasant work experience
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON25 May 2018
I had a blast with the people i worked with and the people I got to interact with it was a great experience working here. I would do it again if i had the chance.
Pros
Good summer job
Cons
Only summer
good starting job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 May 2018
this was my first job in highschool. it was okay but the hours at the time wouldn't allow me to get school work done. summer days were busy which was more enjoyable over the winter season.
only worked a few months as due to being in school it did not allow me much time.
Cons
hours
Needed to move on!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  9280 Keele Street24 May 2018
I've been working at Dairy Queen for almost 7 years, it was a great experience and made me into the person I am today. I've learned a lot working here and grew along with the company. I was so focused on my job that I didn't really have time outside of work and that is something that I needed to change.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON23 May 2018
I enjoyed working here and serving blizzards. The staff was young and spunky and I enjoyed a positive and fruitful environment during my time here. Great place to work as my first job.
good highschool job
Jennifer Sam, Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC23 May 2018
Solid job for highschool. fun employees, easy work and teaches you some responsibilities. Always had a fun time and loved decorating cakes, that was always the best part.
Pros
super chill
Cons
ince cream melts easy in the summer
enjoyable/ fast paced
Dairy Queen (Former Employee) –  Hinton, AB22 May 2018
typical day varied depending. i learned many positions and the different duties and responsiblities of all of them. the manegment taught us all well and did a good job maintaining our work schedual etc. the staff were wonderful and all hard workers and the hardest part would be making sure all customers were happy and enjoy themselves. and the most enjoyable part was knowing i did well that day.
All love !!!
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 May 2018
I lived working there as a summer job , they gave me experience on how a business can be run properly and they have an excellent value appreciation for all of their employees
friendly working place
Supervisor, Branch (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 May 2018
It developed my leadership, as a supervisor there,I need to train my workmate and give them suggestions. It improved my communicate skill and told me how the teamwork important.
Good first job
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB18 May 2018
Dq is a good first job for teens however due to hours being seasonal and the pay it is not sustainable long term. The owner and management are nice and easy to work with and the environment is friendly but fast paced.
Pros
Discount, opportunities for advancement, great staff
Cons
Seasonal hours, poor pay, no benefits, rude customers
Overall Experience
Cashier/Cook/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NB17 May 2018
My overall experience was great to state the least, I just wanted to continue my education and had to focus more on my education due to the amount of group assignments and the work load.

A typical day is never a "typical day". You can never judge the type of day you are going to have. It all depends on the public and those you work with.

I have learned that you need to always be on your toes and be able to expect anything. As well as being a leader, and taking ownership for your actions.
Pros
good staff, friendly environment
Cons
ALWAYS busy
It is a great first job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2018
taught me lots about about working and was a great first experience. the people are friendly and warm and i gained many skills i will take forward with in into other jobs.
it was fun loving place
co worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 May 2018
it's really busy in summer but it's good to work there. Ice creams are good. Most of the time place is surrounded by jolly people and cute kids all around. I recommend this place for fast foods too.
Pros
good ice cream
Cons
really busy in summer
Haven't gotten a single shift in forever
Grill Worker (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB16 May 2018
They hired too many people and now they can't afford to give anyone shifts so I effectively have no job and a decent discount at dairy queen. From what I have experienced it's ok
fun and challenging
Supervisor/ Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 May 2018
Most part of the day is so laid back. Learning about cake decorating is the best part of my job. So challenging and rewarding! Management needs to focus on providing staff motivational and incentive programs.
Pros
free meals
Cons
micro management
good first job
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 May 2018
dairy queen was my first job and i would say its a great place to begin in customer service. i learned a lot about how to be a better worker, learnt to be a better problem solver and got to eat ice cream while doing it! so overall i have no complaints
stupid
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Paradise, NL15 May 2018
Overall, job was good, however, management was not. very hard to get along with. if things were not done right, or one simple mistake is made, employees were then "in trouble"
Trop exigent
Décoratrice de gâteaux (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 May 2018
Tâches quotidiennes trop exigentes, sans pauses...
Unorganized
Food Preparer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 May 2018
The structure was alright however it was rare that a senior manager or owner would be in-store and it was often just ran by kids. Although this created an enjoyable work ethic it compromised productivity.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Great job to learn from and also fun with the creativity.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON8 May 2018
Dairy Queen had relaxed shifts for the most part and all the staff was well trained so even if we had a busy day, we could all work together really well to make the rush run smoothly. This was the first job I was taught a till. It on with a much older style till with a different cash count method to end the day. I was shown to decorate cakes, use and clean a grill, and how to operate all parts of a basic front counter and drive thru. The hardest part of the job which also happens to be the best part of the job was decorating the cakes. It wasn't hard to do or tolerate, however it involved skills that needed to be acquired first (artistic).
Pros
Decorating your own Birthday cake, lunch discount on shift, flexible hours
Cons
Seasonal depending on your location, can be harder to find hours in the winter, unpaid breaks
Easy job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 May 2018
The work was very easy and fun but the manager was horrible to work for. I was the assistant manager and the manager just put all her responsibilities on me.