Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

Found 1,282 reviews matching the search See all 10,971 reviews
Business Consultant Operations - Rewarding career for goal achieving people
Area Vice President - Operations Canada West (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 February 2019
A typical can have you interacting with many different people & departments.
Great training sets you up for success. Flexibility with schedule lets you set work / life balance. Open door management team gives support to team members.
Learn quick service restaurant operations, negotiation skills, public speaking skills, facilitation skills, team building....
Pros
Great brand to be associated with. Challenging / rewarding career, support from supervisors & peers
Cons
Long hours, travel
Made some good friends
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB15 November 2018
- Had fun learning to make ice cream treats.
- Fun place when I first started. That changed after a while when new manager was hired.
- Manager didn't know how to schedule properly. Very stressful when it got busy. How r u supposed to give good customer service when there aren't enough staff on.
- Very little benefits with this company. Filled out forms twice for benefits and never received any coverage at all. Whenever I approached the owner about this was always promised that I would get covered.
- Not appreciated by management.
Pros
Half price food items on lunch break
Cons
Dont make a career at this place
Not fun
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 September 2018
This job was fun in the beginning but after a couple of weeks working here I've noticed how racist and biased my location was. I would get teased about my body size regularly which would make working with the managers a pain.... Employees were not allowed to take food home or donate it to the homeless, instead we were ENCOURAGED to throw out extra food... Employees would not be given a raise unless asked for, even then it would be unlikely we would get a pay raise. The management would take advantage of younger employees and would pressure them into working longer hours - example: I was pressured into working at a private event for 12 hours without and breaks or food... I was also promoted to shift leader (but without the pay raise) even though I was only 15 and the rest of my employees were 20+. I did not get trained to close the store, instead the manager would FaceTime me to tell me how to close the shop.... I would NOT recommend working here.
Pros
$1 above minimum wage
Cons
Everything else
productive and loving workplace
Dairy Queen Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB6 January 2019
A typical day of work at Dairy Queens includes taking customers orders, running food out to tables, making treats, and cleaning our lobby. I've learned many skills over the past year of working here such as satisfying customers, multitasking, working well under pressure, patience, and great communication skills. The management here is fantastic, they really care about their employees and satisfying their customers as best as they can. The workplace here is just as amazing because of their friendly employees, managers, and overall work place environment. the hardest part of this job would definitely be flipping the blizzards and hoping the ice cream will not fall, as well as making treats fast, yet efficient. however, the most enjoyable part of working here would be satisfying our customers and receiving honourable donations from our fans.
Pros
free meals, loveable customers, great staff and managemnt.
Cons
Easy work, positive management and leadership
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK21 January 2019
A typical day was either working in drive through taking customers' orders, working in soft-serve with ice-cream, or a cashier out front taking and delivering orders. I learned good communication skills and how to be professional. Management was supper supportive and instructive. The culture was really positive and friendly. The hardest part learning the job initially, once learned it is relatively straight forward.
Pros
50% food/ice cream before or after shifts
Cons
Limited hours available
Productive, fun and welcoming workplace.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB26 September 2018
A typical day at work includes smiles and laughs. I learned how to work with a team, be a leader, take charge, handle cash efficiently and handle customer complaints. The management has always been very caring, understanding and supportive in times of hardships. The workplace culture is very diverse and allows opportunity to learn more about other employees and create friendships within the workplace. The hardest part of the job is pleasing customers while still following work guidelines and rules. The most enjoyable part of this job is to put smiles on faces and creating friendships with customers, other employees and lifelong memories.
Pros
Working with amazing people
Cons
hours vary
Good for a beginning job, but no more than that.
Cashier, Food Service Worker, Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2018
Honestly, most of the bad points just come from management. While the place may not be falling apart, they don't know the cleaning procedures of the restaurant, have little regard for schedule (which is key in making cakes), play favourites, the list can go on. My main peeve is that they provide no cross-training nor are they involved in any training besides that of supervisors - and even then, they only train them on a "we need them now" basis (as opposed to actually training BEFORE the former supervisors quit).

The saving grace is that you have the chance to meet great coworkers, and seem to have good chances of being hired.
Pros
50% off meal during shift, experience in fast food
Cons
Poor management, training and advancement are nearly non-existent unless self-initiated.
Perfect for me, but huge turnover
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON13 September 2018
I like working at Dairy Queen. They work with me during the summer and during my college hours. I appreciate what they do for me. But there is like no chance of getting a promotion or raise, as I haven't in my 3 years there. We also do not get overtime so don't expect that either, I have been working over 50 hours a week during the summer with no overtime.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
long hours no overtime, a lot of work drama
Boring, stressful, bad management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 July 2018
Had very inconsistent hours (was called in early/told to leave early or stay later than the posted schedule)
Manager was a great person but was very hard on employees.
I was given a $1 raise 1 week before the minimum wage changed which negated the raise in the first place. Though I worked harder than all my other employees enough to get a significantly better raise, i still made the same amount of money as them due to the deceiving raise mashed with minimum wage changes,
Pros
25% off food/drink/icecream
Cons
inconstant hours. bad management
Fast-paced, valuable job experience
Cashier Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 January 2019
I would arrive at work for afternoon shifts (11am) or evening shifts (4pm) and immediately start working to prep food, hop into working on cash, or clean. This was my first cashier job, so the environment felt unforgiving at the start. Rush hours were hectic, but I quickly learned how to multitask between drive-through, front cash, stock, and food prep when required. The workplace culture was fairly friendly if you fit with the team members. It sometimes felt like a small family, which was really nice.
When I worked there, the management was really hectic. Scheduling was very messy, writing down schedule changes with pen on a weekly sheet of paper taped to a wall. Shifts in scheduling would happen at any time. I only worked there for a few months, so management has likely changed since then.

The most enjoyable parts of this job was how quickly the responsibilities taught me how to multitask and approach challenges head on. They also gave you discounts on food.

The hardest part of the job was interacting with some of the upper management, dealing with physical exhaustion of multiple rush hours and 8h of standing sometimes with short lunch breaks (15-20min).
Pros
Food discounts, generally friendly staff, tight-knit team
Cons
Disorganized work environment, poor team-coordination, physically demanding
Fun and good workplace
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 January 2019
Dairy Queen is a good place to work with and I enjoy every shift working with the people there. As the part of the management team we are always ready to listen, understand and do our part for the betterment of everybody.
Pros
easy to deal with schedule
Cons
no benefits like medical
Good first time Job to find what Work place Culture you best fit into.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON6 September 2018
A typical day -Insure a clean Uniform, Maintain a clean work environment, work accordingly with others, be polite with costumers.

Learned- What work place culture fits best.

Management- Poorly Run.

Workplace Culture- Good First time job to figure what work place Culture i work best in.

The most Enjoyable part of the job- Working with customers and Up selling. Also Selling Cheo Balloons
Pros
Working with customers and raising money for Cheo and Up selling
Cons
The Management
terrible owners and staff
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 January 2019
was treated terribly at this location (wellington by landmark), owner is racist and rude, students are not accomodated around exams, salary was very low for the overworded employees there, and owners hire family and family friends who will not speak english in front of customers or around employees. As someone who only spoke english, I was awkward in the environment, and often uncomfortable when the male employees would look or stare at me,and then say things to the other male employees and they would all laugh, making it a very uncomfortable environment. I do not recommend working here at all
Pros
Cons
everything
horrible management.
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 November 2018
the management was horrible
you have no job security whatsoever
there was many times where i stayed longer than i was scheduled because they sent people home early assuming that they weren't "needed"
the owners/managers didn't care if you had bills to pay or if you had something to do after your shift or if the busses stopped running
Decent first job
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Riverview, NB9 February 2019
Management at the place where I work is okay, sometimes a little bit harsh. A typical day is serving about 200 people daily, on average. Busy days can go up to 300 people. The hardest part of the job is end of the night chores, when you work late or are working the closing shift. This includes washing machines, tidying bathrooms and dining area, sweeping and mopping, and counting cash registers. The most enjoyable part of the job has to be the co-workers and the joy that comes with giving a little kid an ice cream cone with a lot of sprinkles. The staff is not very diverse currently, but that's not because management doesn't hire different people. It's more so the lack in the community.
Pros
50% off food an hour before, during, and an hour after your shift 20% off food the rest of the time
Cons
High expectations for new staff and recently promoted supervisors, too much gossip between some staff members
Interesting Place to work if you love drama
Sherwood Park - Crew (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB22 January 2019
Honestly i really wanted to enjoy working here, but i absolutely dreaded coming into work the environment there was the most toxic thing ever. There was so many staff members that had problems with each other and management had just let things go to far because they didn't want to do anything about it and it made the workplace tense all the time and nobody worked as a team. Management was also very rude about serious life problems some part-time workers were going through and expected them to never have a bad day or a bad thing happen to them that made them call in.
Cons
only get 10% off when you work there
Fun And Productive
Cashier/Customer Service Assistant Manger (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 January 2019
typical day at work would be to sign in, wash your hands and go straight to the front to check if everything is all field up like cups ect.
as the shift goes by, you will complete different taste like making cakes or novelties.
The management is well put together where i worked, they are friendly and organized
The hardest part of the job would be to always satisfy the customers but the main thing to do would be to always smile and ask how they are doing.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be getting the randoms tips because they usually aren't encouraged but still given, or i love decorating cakes.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Unpaid Breaks
CREW MEMBER (SERVICE) (Current Employee) –  396 Provencher ave6 January 2019
On a typical day, business is usually slow but there is a lunch and dinner rush. You're expected to clean if there isn't a customer and you cannot stand around and do nothing. There is always something to do. I learned how to use a till and communicate with customers. I also learned how to use a headset and to expedite food. The management team is very nice and I can say that they're probably more caring than most fast food management teams. The workplace is always fun and inviting. The hardest part of the job is when it gets busy and insuring every order is correct. The most enjoyable part of the job is making the customers happy.
Pros
50% discount while on duty
Cons
Overstaffed
management treats you badly unless you’re a member of the family (no this isn’t a family owned and operated business but you’d think it was)
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NS11 October 2018
I worked here for 2 years, only getting 9hrs a week, management is out to get me fired, treats me poorly, coworkers talk about me and bully me at work
Pros
there aren’t any
Cons
rude af customers, management staff
Fun and easy going
Cashier/cook (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK1 February 2019
Sometimes received little to no hours, other employees were enjoyable to work with, management was respectful and caring. Benefits were lackluster. Alright place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dairy Queen. Our community is ready to answer.

53.1K