Dairy Queen Employee Reviews

A day/ Shift would include making cakes ( 10 or 12) then handling customers, stocking, cleaning etc.
Customer Service Representative and Cake Artist (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 June 2018
My experience with Dairy Queen As a Cake Artist and customer service representative is very good. i have learned a lot of things by being into the food industry, a lot of new skills to develop such decision making, team work, leadership quality, co-ordination which i think is very important for any organization to survive.
Pros
everything an employee orders it would 50% discount
Cons
You get no free time to stand still for a while and its a continuous work
Fun Place to Work
Cashier/Server/Product Maker (Current Employee) –  Penticton, BC22 June 2018
All your co-workers are amazing but the management is hard to deal with. Not many hours are given to school-aged workers and no raises are given. Boss will try to get you to work when you are sick, have a fever, have taken the day off, etc.
Pros
50% food on days worked
Cons
Not the best management
Fun and productive work environment
Hostess, Coffee Mill (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB22 June 2018
I really enjoyed my time at Dairy Queen, I made plenty of friends while working there. They were extremely flexible with my other commitments and scheduling.
enthusiastic environment
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Greater London21 June 2018
great place to work with good co-workers.
love working at the drive-thru, it lets me interact with new people.
great owners to work under their guidance.
Very happy, easy going place
Cashier / Food Prep / Drive (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2018
I really enjoyed working here, it was always a positive atmosphere and the employees and managers were very accommodating and friendly. The only reason I left was due to opportunities elsewhere more in line with my future goals, otherwise I could have worked there for a long time.
OK place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2018
Discounts aren’t that great, I don’t really like the management but my coworkers are pretty good. The job is okay when it’s not too busy or the customers too rude, best part are when customers are nice and/or good looking! and the dogs in the drive thru are cool too even though we can’t pet them.
Great busy place to work with, good Mangers & co-worker
Cashier- Pharmacy technician (Former Employee) –  The Pas, MB18 June 2018
As a cashier, you are the first person that a Dairy Queen customer will see. It is very important that you are able to be friendly, and that you can pay attention to the orders the customer is giving.
This position is the only one at DQ in which you will rarely work with food.
Pros
I love bein Busy
Cons
time goes fast
Terrible management, but enjoyable staff.
Cashier and Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON18 June 2018
DQ is not managed by the highest up manager, instead it is run by everyone picking up the pieces and trying to make sure everything gets done. the result is a stressful environment with inconsistent rules.
Pros
Friends
Cons
No good pay.
job was decent but lack of management
Grill Cook and service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 June 2018
work was good, I learnt many things... but the management was was lacking and I always had to ask for more hours, it was unorganized. but the customer where very nice
A great place
Cashier and Runner (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK15 June 2018
I've only worked here a few months, but it's a strong contender for the best place I've worked and I would absolutely recommend applying to work here immediately.
Fun people to work with; however stressful workload
Customer/Food Services (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ON14 June 2018
Coworkers are peers from school which make the job enjoyable. When working, you feel used, and guilt if you do not work almost every hour of the week. You should be an employee in the workplace, not a slave. Not good for mental or physical health. Rather than constructive workplace handling techniques to deal with complications, unprofessional methods are used.
Made some close friends, but just wasnt for me.
Production/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON14 June 2018
The Management is always questioning. I was screamed at by my managers wife over his phone as i was in urgent need of talking to him. As a new person on the floor the worst thing you could do is pick up fast.. they make you feel bad for asking questions or making mistakes. Out of the few ladies that were hired at the time I was, all of them are gone and I am the last one to leave. I really enjoy working and meeting new people.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Not Organized or Clean
Friendly Workers and calm place to eat and relax
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2018
I usually do drive thru in Dairy Queen. It is sometimes stressful when it is rush hour, but at the same time you won't notice the time. It feels great when you are finished with your shift, another accomplished day at work.
Pros
free food
Cons
limited schedule
good company to work for
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 June 2018
Dairy Queen is a pretty good company to work for, there isn't much room for advancement in the company though. Hours are flexible and management is good about flexible shifts
Fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Courtland, va13 June 2018
Dairy Queen was a well put together place it was always clean friendly employees was hard to go yo work everyday..it's been awhile but I'm sure it's the same very Friendly place
Pros
Pay
Cons
A wonderful first job experience.
Frozen food prep, register, and lobby check (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 June 2018
I liked the job, I learned lots from it and to me that was very important not just making money. I generally do my best to be nice to everyone but I felt very alone as there was some faveortism going from amongst the long term workers. There also was some overhiring going on leading to less working time, which is eventually why I left the place.
Pros
50% food during shift
Cons
10% off food while off shift
Pretty Good
Cashier and Server (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC8 June 2018
Flexible with hours and usually busy during summer so shift goes by quickly. Once it gets cold, you will sit around with nothing to do for long periods of time.
good first job
Cashier/ Drive (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK8 June 2018
I would recommend this to a person who is looking for a first time job or even just a part time job to make a little extra cash. I wouldn't recommend to anyone looking for career opportunities because really there is non. I was there for 3 years and people below me were promoted to supervisors and when I questioned why I wasn't, their response was "you are too valuable to promote, we need you to continue what you are doing now". I was the most reliable worker they had. I even went back to work early after I had surgery because they were desperate and needed someone to work. They did accomedate to my physical ability when I returned early which was nice but the fact that I was reliable and had a proven track record of being an awesome employee they still refused to promote me to supervisor. So long story short, PERFECT for part time to make extra cash or for a first time job. NOT recommended for permanent career opportunities.
Enjoyable staff to work with
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Ladysmith, BC7 June 2018
Management was good most days. Hardly any stress, most came from customers. Coworkers were always fun to work with. Salary was decent for a first time job.
Pros
Half price all food on break
Enjoyable work environment with a lot of great fellow team members.
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 June 2018
Great place to work. Always something to do, someone to train or customers to serve. Owner was a hands on manager so he led by example. Most difficult part of the job was counting every last item in the store for inventory every month end. I learned better cake decorating skills and it was fun to design new cakes.
Pros
Free lunches and treats.
Cons
Vacations couldn't be taken during spring or summer as these are the busiest months.