D2L Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews
Interesting place to work
D2L was an exciting opportunity to build out a new division where the technology wasn't quite a match. They committed to building out the functionality but never followed through.
Discuss a typical day-to-day as well as pros & cons before joining
There might be a few things that weren't discussed in your interview or not presented in the Offer sent out and you might end up regretting the decision
Cons
Shift work, Weekends, Blackout days
Good company to work for
Flat structured organization, casual work environment, great emphasis on culture. Operates in a trendy, innovative space so you feel the rush through the day.
Could not be happier working here.
People who are writing those negative reviews are selling half truths. There is so much opportunity to move around in the company if you aren’t happy where you are. The benefits are great. I am excited to go to work for once!
Pros
Snack, dogs, flexible hours, amazing environment.
Cons
Having to read these negative reviews knowing how much of them are way over dramatic.
Great fun place to work
You work with great people in a company that has a great collaborative, flexible culture. Work life balance is truly valued here. Lots of benefit as well.
Pros
Free healthy snack, cake day, work life balance
anti-sales culture
unrealistic quotas, reactive strategits, poor market intelligence, unstable org structure, too much middle/ micro-management. low base, miniscule variable compensation
Pros
friends
Cons
money
on the surface it is all good
Most employees keep their eyes open for positions elsewhere. The company over hires and then frequently lays off employees, which creates a culture of uncertainty.
Pros
frequent snacks and dogs are allowed
Cons
Work areas are very loud. For example a sales person may be speaking loudly in the next cubby.
Great Place to work!
Coming from the Financial industry, I was pleasantly surprised by the eLearning industry and D2L. eLearning is very collaborative and clients are willing to work with each other to advance learning. After attending D2L's my first Fusion conference, it was amazing to see how much client's like working with D2L.

D2L is a great place to work and I am fortunate enough to work with some talented people. There are great perks (ie - free snacks, coffee, tea, and home internet etc..) and benefits. D2L senior leadership appears to take employee satisfaction very seriously and I have seen first hand the improvements made on feedback that has been shared.
Pros
great people
Changing how the world learns ... and works
My D2L colleagues are great collaborators and innovators. Management truly cares about changing the way the world learns, and about the D2L employee culture and experience. The office vibe is fast-paced but comfortable and informal. Dogs are allowed in the office, and that adds to the ambience.

But the best part is being a part of a great team with the intelligence and dedication needed to bring a truly ground-breaking learning platform to market, and constantly working to further enhance it.
Pros
Smart co-workers. Great culture.
Cons
None that I can think of.
D2L Rocks
D2L is a growing company that has a culture that is dynamic and fast paced. You are always learning, developing and have lots of opportunities for growth. Its a company that emphasizes humility, authenticity and confidence. We have focus and we concentrate on execution. People are great - they care, help each other, collaborate, share, and want what's best for D2L and for their team mates. There are lots of social activities, perks for a company of its size, and management/ HR is focused on transparency, communication and building an awesome culture. We have strides to make here but no different from other companies our size. Our products are great - our customers amazing - and our people the best.

Your career is what you make it.
Pros
Environment, work/ life focus, Focus on people overall, diversity, products, caring leaders
Cons
The building for some is great - needs better ventiliation, etc; Still learning to work globally;
Toxic workplace
While I was there I was treated like absolute garbage and was provided no training whatsoever; even though I was promised training. It consisted of shadowing some people on their PCs while they were working. This is hardly enough to know the job! I quickly learned D2L really meant "Desire 2 Leave." You should check out their reviews on Glassdoor, and check out the constructive dismissal cases against the company in the past 7 years. There were and are frequent lay-offs as well.
Pros
free food
Cons
little training, advancement, bad management
Really enjoy the people that work here
Have received opportunities for career growth

2 volunteer days per year

Monthly socials, board game nights and other opportunities to get to know other D2Lers
Pros
Professional development, volunteer days, dogs, awesome managers
Cons
Room for improvement with communication but transparency has come a long way in the past year
Official response from D2L
2 September 2017
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! I hope that you are continuing to enjoy #LifeatD2L and the impact that you have in this exciting industry!
No advancement ..
Average salary, good benefits
Fun culture and coworkers

Lack of management direction and new managers with no experience

High turnover and frequent layoffs
Pros
Coffee and snacks, culture and coworkers
Cons
Poor management, no advancement
A company lost in translation (formerly known as Desire2Learn)
Working in marketing at D2L was not as exciting as some employees seemed to convey during the interview process. Being a 15-year-old "start-up" really doesn't qualify as one. Part of the reason is a fundamental lack of leadership and direction from management which continues even after venture capital funding.

Strategy in marketing took a shotgun and bandaid approach. Much should be done to provide sales with material needed for more complex products outside of their traditional Learning Management System.

I quickly discovered D2L really means "Desire2Leave".
Pros
Many interesting, passionate co-workers; casual office atmosphere
Cons
Heavy workloads (even for tech industry); Lack of departmental co-operation; frequent layoffs
Good Place To Start
I loved the amazing people I got to work with on a day to day basis, especially within the team setting.

The wages were not great, but the benifits were really good and the inoffice perks were amazing.

This is a great place to start a career. You gain a lot of great experience, both good and bad.
Pros
Free Coffee, free snack, free in office massages, dog friendly, work from home friendly, flexible work hours
Cons
Poor pay, long hours, minimal support from management, high level of inter office politics.
Fast growing, productive, collaborative workplace
D2L is a very collaborative, friendly workplace focused on innovation and forward movement.
Pros
Collaborative culture, work/life balance, bring your dog to work
Cons
Lack of maturity in operations
Dynamic young fun and growing place to work
- Open environment, flat organization
- Get it done approach

- Teams that get along well together
An interesting culture and environment.
The best part was dealing with my clients and the free coffee.
Be a sponge; it’s incumbent upon you to learn as much as you can during your time here.
This is a great place to work if this is your first major job after completing university or college and are eager to invest in your career.
Pros
Cool culture, plenty of opportunities to socialize after hours, involved with community, environmental policies, genuine desire to better the world.
Cons
Long hours, seemingly little regard for those with outside committments (i.e. family).
Has the most wonderful people you could work with, in a company that is quickly moving forward.
I worked for Desire2Learn full-time for less than 2 years before being laid off.

Great people to work with who are passionate, intelligent, and easy to get along with. Instantly felt at home here.

Pros:

- Casual atmosphere with great work life balance.

- Fast growing company, which makes it exciting to work at.

- The company is improving all the time. Great to see positive change happening.

Cons:

- As the company grows, departments are being silo-ed, which creates a disconnect between departments

- Certain departments have un-addressed deficiencies and inefficiencies that eventually effect other departments.

- Losing focus on creating the best product.

The corporate culture is still amalgamating and is in flux.

The products and services are bloated and need focus.

The Marketing team needs focus, which is most likely a symptom of bloated products and services.