D2L

D2L Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews

workgreatpeoplecompanymanagementteamfreedog

Great Canadian company

Great Canadian company - Low pay but great management. Good for new university graduates. The team manager created a happy/friendly work culture. Good job!

Worst Company I ever Worked For.

My heading says a lot, and it's true.This company was horrible.I was truly looking forward to working with a local company after decades of professional experience with American and other international companies.However, from early on, it was obvious that this company's top management was unwilling to allow creativity.They continually gave me the accountability to achieve results but would not allow me ability to do the job they way may experience and skills would allow.They seemed to expect employees to routinely work 10 - 11 hour days without an explanation of why.It was just their culture.It made for a highly stressful environment.They seemed to act as if they were the only employer in the area.

Cons

hours, compensation, overall relations with employees

Insights into D2L

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Support from manager
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction

I didn't have the in office experience.

I was 100% remote at the time. No interaction with anyone other than my supervisor, a person in BC and another in Australia. All calls were with video and they were constant all day starting at 7:30am.

workplace

I will not recommend the company to my friends. I think the company is not respectful for everyone. In my view, the company lose trust. They cannot do what they said before. So be careful. If you want to try for an interview for practice, you can go and try.

Politically correct, somewhat stifling

Wonderful people working in a modern leftist world where humour is risky. This company checks all the boxes of corporate virtue signalling, so if you can navigate that challenge, you could be happy here. Low stress, flexible, respectful. Really wonderdul people.

Pros

Work anywhere

Cons

Noisy open concept

Interesting place to work

D2L was an exciting opportunity to build out a new division where the technology wasn't quite a match. They committed to building out the functionality but never followed through.

Discuss a typical day-to-day as well as pros & cons before joining

There might be a few things that weren't discussed in your interview or not presented in the Offer sent out and you might end up regretting the decision

Cons

Shift work, Weekends, Blackout days

Good company to work for

Flat structured organization, casual work environment, great emphasis on culture. Operates in a trendy, innovative space so you feel the rush through the day.

Great fun place to work

You work with great people in a company that has a great collaborative, flexible culture. Work life balance is truly valued here. Lots of benefit as well.

Pros

Free healthy snack, cake day, work life balance

anti-sales culture

unrealistic quotas, reactive strategits, poor market intelligence, unstable org structure, too much middle/ micro-management. low base, miniscule variable compensation

Pros

friends

Cons

money

on the surface it is all good

Most employees keep their eyes open for positions elsewhere. The company over hires and then frequently lays off employees, which creates a culture of uncertainty.

Pros

frequent snacks and dogs are allowed

Cons

Work areas are very loud. For example a sales person may be speaking loudly in the next cubby.

Great Place to work!

Coming from the Financial industry, I was pleasantly surprised by the eLearning industry and D2L. eLearning is very collaborative and clients are willing to work with each other to advance learning. After attending D2L's my first Fusion conference, it was amazing to see how much client's like working with D2L. D2L is a great place to work and I am fortunate enough to work with some talented people. There are great perks (ie - free snacks, coffee, tea, and home internet etc..) and benefits. D2L senior leadership appears to take employee satisfaction very seriously and I have seen first hand the improvements made on feedback that has been shared.

Pros

great people

Changing how the world learns ... and works

My D2L colleagues are great collaborators and innovators. Management truly cares about changing the way the world learns, and about the D2L employee culture and experience. The office vibe is fast-paced but comfortable and informal. Dogs are allowed in the office, and that adds to the ambience. But the best part is being a part of a great team with the intelligence and dedication needed to bring a truly ground-breaking learning platform to market, and constantly working to further enhance it.

Pros

Smart co-workers. Great culture.

Cons

None that I can think of.

D2L Rocks

D2L is a growing company that has a culture that is dynamic and fast paced. You are always learning, developing and have lots of opportunities for growth. Its a company that emphasizes humility, authenticity and confidence. We have focus and we concentrate on execution. People are great - they care, help each other, collaborate, share, and want what's best for D2L and for their team mates. There are lots of social activities, perks for a company of its size, and management/ HR is focused on transparency, communication and building an awesome culture. We have strides to make here but no different from other companies our size. Our products are great - our customers amazing - and our people the best. Your career is what you make it.

Pros

Environment, work/ life focus, Focus on people overall, diversity, products, caring leaders

Cons

The building for some is great - needs better ventiliation, etc; Still learning to work globally;

Toxic workplace

While I was there I was treated like absolute garbage and was provided no training whatsoever; even though I was promised training. It consisted of shadowing some people on their PCs while they were working. This is hardly enough to know the job! I quickly learned D2L really meant "Desire 2 Leave." You should check out their reviews on Glassdoor, and check out the constructive dismissal cases against the company in the past 7 years. There were and are frequent lay-offs as well.

Pros

free food

Cons

little training, advancement, bad management

Really enjoy the people that work here Have received opportunities for career growth 2 volunteer days per year Monthly socials, board game nights and other opportunities to get to know other D2Lers

Pros

Professional development, volunteer days, dogs, awesome managers

Cons

Room for improvement with communication but transparency has come a long way in the past year

Official response from D2L

2 September 2017
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! I hope that you are continuing to enjoy #LifeatD2L and the impact that you have in this exciting industry!

No advancement ..

Average salary, good benefits Fun culture and coworkers Lack of management direction and new managers with no experience High turnover and frequent layoffs

Pros

Coffee and snacks, culture and coworkers

Cons

Poor management, no advancement

A company lost in translation (formerly known as Desire2Learn)

Working in marketing at D2L was not as exciting as some employees seemed to convey during the interview process. Being a 15-year-old "start-up" really doesn't qualify as one. Part of the reason is a fundamental lack of leadership and direction from management which continues even after venture capital funding. Strategy in marketing took a shotgun and bandaid approach. Much should be done to provide sales with material needed for more complex products outside of their traditional Learning Management System. I quickly discovered D2L really means "Desire2Leave".

Pros

Many interesting, passionate co-workers; casual office atmosphere

Cons

Heavy workloads (even for tech industry); Lack of departmental co-operation; frequent layoffs

Good Place To Start

I loved the amazing people I got to work with on a day to day basis, especially within the team setting. The wages were not great, but the benifits were really good and the inoffice perks were amazing. This is a great place to start a career. You gain a lot of great experience, both good and bad.

Pros

Free Coffee, free snack, free in office massages, dog friendly, work from home friendly, flexible work hours

Cons

Poor pay, long hours, minimal support from management, high level of inter office politics.

Fast growing, productive, collaborative workplace

D2L is a very collaborative, friendly workplace focused on innovation and forward movement.

Pros

Collaborative culture, work/life balance, bring your dog to work

Cons

Lack of maturity in operations

Dynamic young fun and growing place to work

- Open environment, flat organization - Get it done approach - Teams that get along well together

Ask a question about working or interviewing at D2L. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement