CWB Financial Group
Happiness score is 36 out of 100

Working at CWB Financial Group: Employee Reviews

Canada97 reviews

canadianwesternbankculturesalarybalanceteamchange

Fun place to work, work culture makes you feel like part of one big family

Featured review

CWB Financial Group selected this as a representative review
Its a great place to work Work culture makes you feel like one big family Highly collaborative and supportive teams Injection of fun here and there Work/Life balance

Fantastic place

A great work environment and exciting projects to work on. Working beyond business hours is not expected allowing me to keep work at work. My coworkers are great and the work for projects is reasonably divided amongst team members.

28 November 2022
Thank you for the review and for sharing this feedback! We are always striving to make CWB an employer of choice so hearing how it's going for you is great to hear!

Insights into CWB Financial Group

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things

Extremely busy, no work life balance

They were a company that was rated extremely high for corporate culture. Everyone plays the part, but you see and feel how stressed they are. Their is no time for training and support. You then find yourself sucked into the work life Imbalance… I however chose my family and health. Found a new job! Best decision I made, not to suffer my worth.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

No work life balance for low wages

27 September 2022
Thank you for this important feedback. We're sorry to hear that you had this experience at CWB. We strongly believe in providing a work/life balance that gives our team the opportunity to recharge and spend quality time outside of work. This is an important part of our culture as you've mentioned. It's important to note too, that we are a disruptor in the financial industry, which creates a change-forward work environment. To meet the demands this brings, we purposely provide employees more flexibility through things like our hybrid work environments so our team members have the ability to establish, integrate and control the work-life balance within their role that works best for them. As always, it's important that our employees and anyone considering a career with CWB know they can reach out to the People and Culture team for support.

Hit and Miss

Working for CWB can be an interesting experience. Every branch does things differently with little consistency even right up to what individual roles are required to do. In some cases an employee has a portfolio of clients and another of the same role has none. The work flows are rarely fair or equal resulting in some being paid unfairly for their level of work. Management often seems to not understand the market both with employee retention and clientele wants. Being on a good team can make it a wonderful place with a sense of purpose for the staff. But having a poor manager can gut a team with a 300% turnover increase where tenure changes from 10+ year averages to less than 3 for the staffing with no oversight or questions asked other than 'are you looking for a new job?' It is difficult to not be biased but a poor manager can exhaust an employees will to want to stay. It is unfortunate that whether this is a good company is based on branch to branch and department to department as there is little communication and a poor leader results in new hires not being trained as there is no corporate standard and that is left to branch and department discretion leading to people of the same positions being assigned different tasks and not knowing if what they're doing makes sense for their role.

Pros

Benefits, work life balance

Cons

Management, Lack of communication, burn out

Great place to work but pay is too low

Generally a great environment to be in although you do see certain individuals in management positions demonstrating favoritism and this never seems to get addressed. Work life balance is excellent and the overall culture is great, though it becomes increasingly difficult to continue working for CWB, when their salaries cannot seem to keep up with rising cost of living. Pay is way under market. Existing employees are moving over to other FIs and in some circumstances taking a lower level position and still receiving a noticeable increase to their base pay.

8 June 2022
Thank you for this thoughtful feedback, we appreciate this. It is very important for us to create a culture where everyone has equal support from their supervisors. We’d like to encourage you to speak with HR to further address your concern and allow us to continue getting better as an employer of choice. In effort to remain competitive with changing market conditions, a base salary adjustment of 3% was recently announced, which will positively impact 75% of our roles below senior leadership level. Our ongoing commitment is to continue to find ways to invest in our employees, ensuring total rewards are competitive and motivating, and supportive of their health and wellbeing.

Fun place to work but limited growth

Overall this is a good place to be but there is only so much growth. Management is good and understanding. Compensation could be better yet its within market average

16 May 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide this review and for your feedback. We appreciate it!

Decent place. Limited opportunity to advance due to size.

Good place overall, pace of work is generally pretty manageable. Good place to start a career. Some of their practices are outdated and feel cumbersome but if you're there long enough they are making changes to hopefully smooth these out.

Pros

Relaxed but formal culture

Cons

Some internal practices feel outdated and inefficient

9 May 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We appreciate the feedback!

Like every bank, there are pros and cons to working at CWB - but I feel the pros outweigh the cons. Management in Red Deer is top notch and makes the staff feel respected and valued. Unlike bigger banks, I don't feel like a nameless employee. I would recommend working at CWB.

9 May 2022
We appreciate the feedback and you taking the time to provide a review. Thanks!

Good place to work.

Stable bank job. Average benefits and paid time off. Inclusive culture. Management is involved and it's a bit micromanaged. Work from home and hybrid options available.

1 March 2022
We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback. It will help us in continuously improving our workplace.

Employees are valued members and enjoy working together to reach the larger goals of growing a small bank into a powerhouse.

It is very easy to have a conversation with the highest levels of management, including our executives, who are always listening and looking for ways to make working at CWB a great career choice.

Pros

Managers who care, Branches that are excited to work together as a team, competitive pay, great benefits, flexible work solutions

24 February 2022
Thank you for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to provide this insight.

Teamwork, Teamwork, Teamwork!

CWB has a culture that is truly inclusive, supportive, and encouraging. As a young professional, I see how my efforts impact the big picture and that matters to me in my development journey. Are you wanting to learn? To take on new challenges? Do you like working with kind coworkers who want to do good work? This is the place for you!

Pros

Great culture, upward and lateral career movement, growing organization

24 February 2022
Thanks for taking the time to provide this insight. We appreciate it!

Very poor management. Not honest. The managers are rude and only think about themselves.

I was told it's a 100% remote position and I trusted them and quit my job. But, it wasn't. The management was lying and I was told only senior employees have the option for remote working! They were not honest about what you are going to perform. Chaos! So behind in Technology and no training provided. After 3 weeks, they didn't even set up a desk and computer for me. IT was not supportive. As a new employee, I felt so upset because they forgot to invite me to the meetings and as a result, I didn't know what they are doing.

Long Hours, Low Salary, No Advancement

Weekly work hours are 40 hours full time in the office, no working from home, not 37.50 hours, meaning that you do not get overtime paid until after you finished 40 hours. They advertise themselves having "hybrid flexible work environment". Standard 15 days off (including sick days), benefit wise they DO NOT include massage therapy in their medical plan. I used to work from companies that had 20 days off including sick leave and flexible hour arrangement. However, I believe if you find the right team and department, the pay and the work arrangement may be better. You will get to 20 days off after 5 years of service. Good luck!

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Long hours, low pay, benefit has no massage therapy, No flexible hours, Work in office all the time

Unsupportive management.

It is a very old school company. Good for starters. Managers are not supportive at all. No training was provided. Untrained management. Basically people who worked in the department for few years can become the manager.

Pros

Good location at Calgary downtown

Cons

Micro management, racism and

Productive and fun place to work

Very good company to work for. The culture was relaxed and productive We worked hard and together with lots of different teams to accomplish many different tasks. .

Pros

Often had free lunchs

The workplace was toxic

I was a teller and unfortunately the majority of management were extremely toxic to work for. Very judgmental, condescending and racist. I would not work there again. The job itself was pleasant but the training was not done well and made it hard for me to understand things.

Great Experience

While the experience of working there was not so long, it was a great learning experiences. The management team however micro manages and sadly leaves less room for personal creative freedom and growth.

Professional work environment

Canadian Western Bank is an exceptional organization. The executive management team is well established in the community and combines extensive experience in finance with progressive business practices.

CWB is a pretty lame company to work for

I really did not enjoy my years at CWB and the culture of the company. It feels like a really lame version of a bank and most people assume it's a credit union. The products are hard to sell and Corporate office is incredibly difficult to deal with. Policy is written on the spot. It feels like a place where crusty old bankers from other FI's end up when they want an easier job.

Productive and focus on employees work balance.

Good work culture to advance your career and the management help in personal development of its employees. Co-workers are very helpful if you need assistance.

Why?

Working here was great the people are nice ans the offices were always clean. Thank you for the opportunity. anyone would be lucky to have a job here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CWB Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement