Custom Electric Ltd

Custom Electric Ltd Employee Reviews

Dont work here!

Don't value hard work, only promote suck ups who sit around and chat to foreman. Does not follow Electrical Journeymen to Apprentice ratio 2 to 1 within Alberta, Will place hard working apprentices on the same task for months without the possibility of change. No Professionalism within the company, If you work here have a thick back and be prepared to hear a lot of unprofessional language.

3 February 2020
We are sorry to hear that your time with Custom Electric didn't meet your expectations. We work very closely with the Alberta Apprentice board to ensure all apprentices receive the required level of training and supervision. The ratio is a set standard and we adhere to it and in fact improve on the minimum across our company to give every apprentice the best opportunities available.

Standard electrical trade experience

I worked here in 2012. I was fired because an apprentice damaged a compressor. The management was very immature and some swore extensively making a very intimidating atmosphere. They threw my harness training certificate in the garbage after I was fired and I could not receive it. They did have a safety meeting every morning which was appreciated.

Pros

Safety meeting every morning

Cons

Nepotism

19 March 2021
I'm sorry to hear that after 9 years you haven't been able to moved on from the situation you allege to have happened. Whilst we can find nothing that aligns with your story we wish you well in the future.

Great place to work and advance

Custom is a great company to work for. It is just like any other job, you need to go to work with a good attitude. If you want to work they will treat you good. I had no issues working at custom electric. In the year and a half that I worked there I was on multiple different types of jobs which taught me a lot of different skills required to do commercial and residential electric work. What I would tell anybody starting at custom electric is.. go to work and do your job. They want to teach anybody who wants to learn. It’s is the same with any company. Yes, there were times that I was annoyed with my job but if you have worked for a company and not been annoyed there is something wrong.

Pros

Lots of work if you want it

Great

Great company lots of room for improvement very welcoming they have several different sectors so you could find exactly what you like in your field of work and be able to grow in the company if you’re hard working

Worst management I’ve experienced ever.

Don’t work here. Management would constantly harass me everyday (every 1-2 hours), with the fact that I was easily replaceable. I constantly was called stupid and asked to fight by management. It made every task I had to do difficult. Sure I worked harder but it made it very difficult to work since I was constantly worried about my job security. I watched management fire people and then laugh about how the person reacted after. My co workers were really great but were constantly receiving the same attitude as me and they all slowly left or got let go and I was the last one around. I was going to get Human Resources involved but I decided the company nor the management was worth my time. Pay was okay but you can get the same at another electrician company.

Pros

You get paid.

Cons

Deal with arrogance on the daily

Amazing Team at Custom Electric LTD!

I was privileged to be apart of the Custom Electric team for 11+ years! I started and completed my apprenticeship with Custom and gained an invaluable set of skills i never thought I'd get. Throughout the ups and downs of the economy, Custom always seems to find a way to stay on top and keep their core guys involved and employed. I'm proud to say i felt like i was apart of that group, that speaks volumes to management. The workplace culture is excellent, the guys and girls in the field are great, the supervisors are approachable and know what they're doing, that being said, you are expected to preform. Days can be long, sometimes Saturdays and nights are required but that's the nature of the work we do. Safety is extremely important to Custom Electric and the most important thing is we go home to our families at the end of the day. I was a proud Custom Electric employee for the time i was there and gained an invaluable set of skills i felt was second to none. Unfortunately my time came to an end with them as i was looking to advance my career and it couldn't be accommodated at the time, but i wouldn't hesitate to go back for a second if the right opportunity presented itself.

3 February 2020
Thanks for your time and effort when you worked with us. We endeavour to retrain great workers like yourself so hopefully your future plans work out but if not we would welcome you back

Worked on many exciting projects around the city

Learned an amazing amount on some of the most extraordinary building in the city. For a long time had stable work, and often was able to work overtime.Worked with many hard working and dedicated electricians, and I was a committed and loyal employee.

3 February 2020
Custom prides itself on the diverse types of projects we secure and we're glad you were part of the success

Great place to work with ample opportunity to learn if you ask

I worked with fantastic foreman and lead hands and became a competent electrician with their help. Great place for learning and growth. If you put in the extra effort you will go pretty far

3 February 2020
Thanks for your positive comments with regards to your time with us

Worked at Custom for 10+ years

Custom is a standard electrical company, nothing really outstanding other then it’s employee owned. BUT how to get shares is another thing, at orientation when I first started with custom I was told after five years you are eligible for shares, but no shares after TEN years. It appears to be random how they give shares out. Buddy system does exist within custom, but that’s the same for most companies. Safety is a big deal, but very repetitive and not really practical at times. Foreman’s are a hit and miss, some are very professional and some you really have to wonder how they got or keep their job. Training for safety or lifts/harness is a pain to get but very useful. Overall quality of work is slightly above average. Lots of hiring of outside hires for leadership position don’t know why they don’t train and guys who have started with custom Lots of layoffs but that goes with the construction market. Benefits were basic, no vision. Pay is good.

3 February 2020
Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to our high regard for safetyKeeping everyone employed and able to work is a high priority for us so we thank you for your efforts

The best company I've worked for

With any place, people can make or break your experience. Custom Electric has a few of the older hard men who run some jobs, which can sometimes make your experience rough. But more often than not you get some of the best, most skilled, electricians that you'll ever meet. I am proud to say I was able to work for this company. They do amazing work.

3 February 2020
Thank you for your positive comments, we are very grateful for the guys like yourself that work hard on our projects

Overall an ok company to work for. Could use some improvements.

Custom Electric prides itself on having long term employees, but has been going through quite the culling with the slowdown in the economy. Unfortunately I was a victim after finishing 3rd year school. No employer is perfect, but for the most part I felt like I was treated fairly well by Custom.

Questionable Management

Great bunch of guys to work with. When it came down to it, we were all just numbers to management. Hire and fire cycle is ridiculous and office workers are stuck in the past. They have no idea how actual sites work or who was actually making them money. Spent a whole year fixing a "20 years with the company" employee's work because they were too afraid to lay them off.

Pros

Great workers, good pay/benefits

Cons

Job security, archaic management

29 April 2019
Glad you found the site guys great to work with as that is the true core of a great company

If you like being treated like a number you will love it here!

vulgar work environment, constant sexual harassment. job security non existent. good benefits.very safety oriented, which is good. dangerous when working with incompetent management.

Pros

its a job

Cons

you will hate it

29 April 2019
sorry to hear your experience wasn't good for you. There are many 25 + year employees who have risen through the ranks to become very successful

Stay away

terrible company to work for. I have nothing bad to say about most of the electricians in the field. The management though treats you very poorly. There is no training for foreman and you generally aren't treated fairly unless your one of the cool guys

29 April 2019
Safety and training is a key aspect of the trade and an ongoing need throughout a career

Learning Experience

Worked for them for 3 years, Met some really nice people. Made it threw my apprenticeship and never got hired back. The management needs to be changed, nobody finding new work. Lots of layoffs in the past year, the buddy system is in full effect at Custom Electric if you are family or you are friends with one of the owners or managers you are safe, even if you are a hack electrician.

Pros

Some fantastic people

Cons

Apprentice Heavy Company

29 April 2019
The current economy is challenging for all involved but a positive attitude and optimism will previal

Co-workers

All around alright company. Co-workers are friendly and informative and helpful. Management is understanding as well as caring, it is a good company to work for.

Lots of work provided

9 hour days are quite common mounting up to 44 hour work weeks. Depending on the site Saturday shifts do become a requirement. A lot of respectable foreman/supervisors to work for, including good wage.

Pros

good pay

Horrible

Mostly a money driven company, very poorly managed. Claims to be employee owned but in fact the major share holders are the owners. The hardest part of the job is going to work everyday

29 April 2019
unfortunately the trades are not for everyone, hope you do well in your future endeavours

Company was good, Employees were better

I worked with quite a few different teams while I was at Custom and the journey were always experts at what they did. They work hard and give the best results they can attain.

29 April 2019
Thank you for the positive feedback on the crews you worked with

Average Company

They talk and talk about safety, but when it comes down to it, there is little to no enforcement on the job site. There are some decent foremen and then there are some real pieces of work. Seems a lot of the good employees get let go, and the scabbiest survive the longest.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Bad safety enforcement, no OT, forced to work weekends sometimes.

29 April 2019
There is always a fine line to walk with regards to discretionary items but core safety principals must always be upheld

Very negative for the employees there, they always take the hit for everything & the safety is over the top & ridiculous at times.

I would never recommend anyone get into the electrical trade. It's a dead end for pay when you become a journeyman, especially at this company. They have their own safety police who are completely nuts!! how management will get rid of good employees over taking their glasses or hard hat off in a safe environment is so stupid.

Pros

Cons

everything

29 April 2019
Safety is part of everyone's responsibility and must be taken seriously

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Custom Electric Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6Job security/advancement