Custom Cellular Employee Reviews

Upper management no good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2018
The upper management does not know what they should do, they should get their head together in order to make their employees more motivated. you wont get any hourly wage raise, always a minimum pay, and the bonus is even a joke. Overall, worst company I have ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
poor pay, poor management, no job security.
Best job ever!
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB25 May 2018
Working for Custom Cellular has been incredible! All the staff work hard to help each other. You always feel welcome and comfortable working in a different location. The management is amazing! They are always there to help you succeed, advance, and learn! I have nothing to complain about working for this company! Feels like a big family ❤️
Pros
Pay, benefits, structure, support, communication.
great work environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB10 September 2018
I worked for Custom for 5 years before i moved back home. It was honestly the best company i have worked for. I wish they would open a location where i am now!

They always worked with staff to become their best and hit all their targets. They were flexible with drs appts etc, i never had to worry to much about scheduling. The sales environment on the floor was usually busy, but management always encouraged us to provide the best care for the customer. Which i think is so cool! Not every where wants to take the time to actually take care of EVERY customer.

If your looking for a job that is an exciting learning environment, room to grow and be treated like family.. this is the place!
Pros
Management that supports you, commissions, steady hours
Cons
work over holidays sometimes
Amazing Management
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 September 2018
I worked with Custom Cellular for a few years but have decided to go back to school. My time with Custom was nothing short from amazing, the management staff were always there to support me. If i ever had questions or was not as confident selling certain things they never hesitated to spend more time with me. This allowed me to grow and learn so much! All the staff i worked with were friendly. Reading some of the reviews it makes me so confused- these people were obviously not doing their jobs properly. Over my years with Custom they have always shown to care for the staff first and foremost. They made me feel like part of the family. I would go back and work there in a heart beat!
Pros
Room to grow, always learning, friendly environment
Best place to work
Wireless Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 September 2018
Recently moved from Alberta to Nova Scotia, I worked here for 3 years. BEST place ever! My Team Leader was amazing and upper management is so caring and always there to lend a hand and ensure you were succeeding!

My District Manager would always work with us to help us meet goals and show us how to earn more money. If I was sick, they were very understanding and gave me time to recover.

They pay hourly plus commission so on average I would make $20-$25 per hour which I am so sad to give up! Lots of room to advance as well!

I would strongly ignore some of the previous reviews- its sad to see previous staff lash out at a company that is as wonderful as Custom Cellular. I personally have not experienced anything like that and I was very sad to leave!
Pros
Excellent Coworkers, friendly atmosphere, great pay
Cons
Sometimes dealing with upset Customers
Poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2018
Was recently hired on at Custom Cellular. I was sent my welcome package and all so I gave my notice at my current job. I told them I wanted to keep my first job and work 1 to 2 shifts a week and they said that was okay. I then get a text message a few days later saying they wont be taking me on simply because of my availability which was clear open! When I tried to contact the employer to discuss the issue I was ignored. When I requested to speak with a district manager, again I was ignored.

Stay far away from this place!
poor management including store managers/team leaders
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 July 2018
Worked for this company for a year, co-workers were awesome, we worked together and helped eachother as team leaders and management team didnt know what they're doing. Never want to work for this company again.
Pros
awesome sales co-workers
Cons
poor pay, no growth, management team sucks
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC11 January 2019
I worked for this company for 2 years, maybe closer to 3. I have 0 complaints about this place! they're fantastic with they're employees and treat us fair and equal!
Official response from Custom Cellular
15 January 2019

This is great to hear! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, it is greatly appreciated!

Worst company ever!!!!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Alberta23 March 2018
It's in your best interest to avoid this company! As an employee and as a customer. You can expect them to pull alot of sneaky things. They will feed you false information to make you feel secure, but you're never truly safe. You can pretty much expect to file an employment standards claim against this company if you work here.
Upper management is horrible; DM's and directors included. Don't expect to go to a great HR department either. They're all family.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor pay, not a secure job
Slime
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB19 February 2018
This company ruined my life. I was so excited to have this job and I worked my hardest when I was there. Then they let me go right before Christmas and days before my probation ended. When I had asked why they said ,"it just wasn't working out." Which I later found out that it was budget cuts and they were firing everybody they legally could. I am still having a hard time finding a job because it is down season for all companies and I can't even collect E.I. because they've taken almost a month to send me my R.O.E. This company is shady and I'm pretty sure even the customers are picking up on this.
Pros
great pay
Cons
NO job security
Great place to work!
Director of Sales (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB23 November 2017
I have worked for this company for many years, and am very thankful for every opportunity I have been given during this time.
The owners are very kind and compassionate people and they really care about their employees.

I started in a Wireless Sales Associate position, and have had many opportunities within the company. There is a lot of room for advancement and team development is a top priority.

I love the fast paced environment, and the fact that I can always learn something new. Its never boring!

I love the people I work with, and the culture of this company!
poor pay, and management team not good
Wireless Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2018
minimum hourly wage, and commission is not that good; most important thing is, the management team needs to be improved. they should know how to manage their team and motivate them instead of making hard time for their employees.
Pros
health benefit
Cons
low pay
Fun, fast paced, team oriented workplace with room for growth!
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2017
I have worked for and been a happy employee of Custom Cellular for 12 years. This company is not only family run, but you truly feel a part of the family as you grow with it. After working at different locations, all are fun, fast paced, and team oriented. With experience, as a sales associate, store manager, and District Manager...there is consistent room for growth and advancement.
Unreliable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB4 January 2018
They will hire you and fire you before you're done your probation so they can get a hard working employee willing to jump right into the job. That's what they do, they promise permanent full time positions and then they'll just fire you without reason because remember they're not permitted to give any. It was a complete waste of my time and all I learned is to not blindly trust companies to follow through on their word.
Pros
great employees
Cons
misleading company
Love it
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB23 November 2017
I have worked for this company for many years, very family oriented.
The owners truly care about their staff which cascades down from upper management.
The workplace is very fun and upbeat, coworkers are awesome and the pay is more than expected. Custom truly takes care of every staff member, very thankful to work at such a great company!
Pros
Great coworkers, pay, etc
Not Even A Stepping Stone
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Alberta23 April 2018
First, I must say that my coworkers were amazing and made Custom Cellular.
But getting into the actual review about Custom Cellular now. There is a reason why large well-managed companies are not recognised as family run businesses. If they are large enough to have their families work for them, the family members are permitted to work under each other. The family members are also placed into positions that they are deserving of. This is not the case Custom Cellular. This leaves employees that aren't friends and family feeling vulnerable and unable to defend oneself. This causes a huge turnover at the store level.
Custom Cellular is also commonly recognised as the "joke of Telus" at Apple Masters, by sales reps at corporate stores, and even slowly by their customers.
When you start at Custom Cellular, phone reps ridicule you and say, "This place is cursed. No one ever stays here." (Which is absolutely true. I should have listened).
The biggest problem is the upper management. It's really important to educate managers on how to manage. It's not something that just comes to a long-term employee who is good at a sales job. There are ways to motivate and work with the different teams. These things are learned at seminars and through education. This is completely disregarded by Custom Cellular. I truly believe that this is their biggest downfall.
I'll also note that I'm not talking about the store level managers. They are put into terrible situations and this trickles down to the sale rep level. The stores are set up to fail. Employees are set up to fail. There is never
  more... any clear direction with anything, and it's always changing to work in Head Office's favour. If the employees fail, Custom Cellular treats them like a number and dismisses them. Don't expect to go to HR either; they aren't there in the employees best interest. Questions seem to fall on deaf ears until they can use your words against you.
Custom Cellular has tried to clean up their image on social media, and even here, by adding good comments. However, you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. Hopefully they read this and take it to heart. Employees aren't replaceable. Your actions will catch up with you.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
uneducated bad management, owners don't care, poor pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2017
Very fun place to work. Fast paced workplace. Great support through recent changes in management. Having local management and support in Edmonton recently has been great. Room for growth within the company is always nice as well.
Great coworkers
Senior sales representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2015
Overall same as every job, but until management criticizes everything you do, you tend to start to not want to come into work due to the fact that it's going to be the same thing over and over that you did something wrong or something wasn't done the way management wants it to be done. Great coworkers over all, absolutely loved working with them.
Pros
Building customer service experience
Cons
Management criticism, management, miscommunication
Great place to work and advance
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  GRANDE PRAIRIE, AB8 June 2015
Very understanding management, made it accessible to learn all the things I needed. My days were pretty fairly slow, a lot of trouble shooting. I learned how to manage a few things from the computer to the mobile device. My co-workers were pretty good, there was a few altercations but other than that it was good.
I really enjoyed working there because we were all different individuals but we all fit well together.
Horrible Upper Management
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2017
They will lose countless excellent employees because of the way the upper management micromanages. They are inconsistent and infuriating. Too bad because my coworkers were great.
Pros
great employees
Cons
terrible management team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Custom Cellular. Our community is ready to answer.