Custom Cellular
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Custom Cellular Employee Reviews

Canada43 reviews
The overall experience at Custom was not bad per say, but was far from great.

The company provides very little to no incentive for employees. Management will proclaim you can make so much money (especially around the holidays), but the pay is honestly the worst in the industry. You can sell LOT'S of phones, but if you don't up-sell; you get literally nothing.

Custom Cellular only pays you commission on certain sales, and has sales minimums; compared to other Telus stores and dealers which pay you for every sale.

They call their managers "Team Leads" which I find quite degrading since they do the exact same tasks as a manager and the pay for the position is humiliating.

Training for new employees has a sharp learning curve. They are "taught" how to do nearly everything in a couple days (after your complete Telus's online modules with no pay) and throw them on the floor with their co-workers and expect them to learn and be proficient in all aspects of the job. The position is far from hard, but if you don't have any experience in cellphones or even sales for the matter; your gonna be in for a brutal awakening with this companies training procedure and unrealistic goals. I didn't encounter this particular issue personally, but I seen it happen way too frequently while I was employed. It all depends on the manager at your location. If you get lucky you may get a caring knowledgeable "team lead" willing to teach you everything, but that's far from the majority.

I was able to sustainably work for the company, but it's not the right fit for many people. The high turn-over
 - more...
Pros
Full-Time Hours
Cons
Extremely Low Commission
22 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns.
We take great pride in our staff and ensuring they are treated fairly and we are sorry you did not feel that way.

The commission structure changes as TELUS changes their priorities. The current structure focuses on many aspects of the sale, including Business Sales, Home Service Sales, Security, Add a Line, Bring it Back and Accessories to name a few. (Most staff earn an average of $150 from Accessory Sales alone) We also have a monthly target structure as well as daily incentives through our Slack Channels. We feel you may have been misunderstanding the Commission structure and the various payouts that are available to receive? We always encourage open feedback and if anyone has any issues selling we really try to work with them to help them earn more. We apologize if this was not communicated effectively to you.

Our Team Leaders are called Team Leaders because their main priority is to work within their teams and help lead them to success. Often times the manager title can give a perception of a task orientated role and we strive to have our management team working directly with the staff. They do have a Team Leader title but receive the same pay as a Store Manager as defined by other TELUS Dealerships and Payscale.com.

We have also implemented Classroom training and re certification for all of our Sales Representatives returning to work after the closure due to COVID. Training and Growth is a top priority and we want our staff to be supported with proper training to ensure they feel confident in their
 - more...
Unless you are chosen as the favorite, give up all personal aspirations.
They want you there to push what they believe is best, I watched as a co-worker with a disability worked like crazy, be the only one to ever cover their co-workers shifts but never get any of their shifts covered. They had issues moving because of their disorder, were always given morning shifts then fired for being late when the couldn't make it.

The okay pay doesn't make it worth the stress and effort.

The okay pay doesn't make up for the stress and
Pros
Pay
Cons
Stress, corporate management
I don’t understand a lot of the bad reviews about this place. If you do your job & try your best you’re met with gratitude and respect from everyone. There used to be some people that didn’t try much and then got upset and complained behind manager’s backs when they were told to actually do their job. They’re not working here anymore though. The people here now are great. The managers actually care which is rare. You’re helped a lot to do well and if you need help you just have to ask for it. Any sales job has sales targets. That’s what the job is. If that’s not for you then sales isn’t for you. That’s not Custom Cellular’s fault though. Awesome place to work
Pros
Supportive environment. Great people
22 June 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience! We are very happy to hear that you are enjoying your time with us! We truly have the best staff and feel very blessed!
The only reason I would work here is if you want a job where they will treat you like you are replaceable and not worth their time.

- They are constantly lowering you commission, but never giving anyone a raise.

-They will replace you in a heart beat and will NEVER give you a reason.

-They will harass you about your sales no matter how well you are doing in any other category, if you are failing in one you mind as well be failing in everything.

- You will constantly be put in stressful situations with no one to lean on.

I wasted too much of my time there and feel disrespected and mistreated.I have never felt so rejected and back stabbed by a company in my life. I thought I had a future with them I thought I was a part of a team. Its all a lie.

I wish i had read the reviews, it would have saved me a lot of time, and effort into avoiding this abuse.
22 June 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are always looking for ways to improve and your feedback is important to us.

We do make slight adjustments to our Commission Structure if TELUS has made changes to our goals and targets. These changes normally only occur once a year. The last change took place in 2019 when we increased our base wage from $12 per hour to $15 per hour. We felt it was important to increase to this wage to provide a more secure base wage for staff so they are not soley relying on Commission. Although this change wasn't necessary to meet the minimum wage requirement, we truly felt it was a change that staff would embrace as it helped them earn more of a secured wage in times when the stores were slower.

We are very sad to hear that you felt replaced, or anyone would feel that way. Our teams are built of the best staff, and we certainly do not want anyone to feel like they can be replaced. We understand how important everyone's time is, and how our staff can work for any employer. We are grateful they choose to spend their time with us and appreciate the work put in and what each team member can bring to the table.

We do work with our staff and provide feedback on performance. If someone is not performing to standard, we have many conversations prior to termination, including written warnings and deadlines if absolutely necessary. Due to confidentiality for that staff member ,we never share the reasons with other staff members, which is why someone may feel a Team Member was let go with no reason. Their privacy is important to us.

This role is a
 - more...
Relaxed working environment, friendly colleagues and management, good salary. Working at Customs was one of the best working experiences I have ever had
22 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! It means a lot!
This company is not a place to work if you want to have a job your able to think long term and have even a bit of job security. They pretty much have people in and out of every location, and fire people simply because “ it’s not working out “ it doesn’t matter if you’ve been there 9 Months or 3 years, your simply disposable to them.

Management will bully you out of your job because they just don’t like you or sometimes your more educated on some topics because some people have been there longer and they don’t like it..

Having pleasant customers and staff were the highlights of my experience with this NOT well ran Cell phone store.
Pros
Customers and Staff
Cons
Managment
The training is like the pay, minimal. They throw you into positions and expect you to figure it out on your own. And there may be weeks where your "days off" are working 4 hours, so you're actually working 12-14 days in a row.
Not all stores are set to the same standard and the code of ethics depend on the staff member, so depending where your work, your experience with management is different. I hope this changes with a new DM but the new DM also has no training, most staff are currently scared for their jobs since so many people have been fired because "it's not working out." Seeing so many good sales people getting the boot makes it hard to be here.

Head office only cares about their own because they are all related. ( Yes, this is true)

Team Leaders say the only way to get through the day without having a mental breakdown is to come in half an hour early UNPAID and get your work done so you can babysit staff all day. Do you really wanna do that to yourself? Personally, I cant wait to get out.
27 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, this is very valuable to us. Training is a key focus, with new weekly training seminars and Quarterly training summits with staff and our management team. We are currently investigating the training issue that you have described, as we take pride in our staff and want to ensure everyone is fully trained and confident in all processes. Employee growth and wellbeing is our top priority.

There will be new changes in the Edmonton district as you described, and the new District Manager will have extensive training one on one as well as training in Grande Prairie and throughout all locations.

We truly care about all of our locations and sadly we are not aware of some of the issues you have described but now that we are we can take proper action to rectify this. Our Director of Sales will have monthly meetings with each Team Leader to ensure they are supported and heard. This has already started in January and will continue on a monthly basis. We definitely do not want to see anyone working unpaid, and if more time is needed we will look at ways to streamline processes to make things more efficient, as well provide more assistance if needed.

We truly wish you the best and do thank you for providing this feedback. If you are still employed with us, please contact the Director of Sales so we can discuss this further. We have an open door policy and all feedback is welcome. Thank you so much.
This company is complete garbage, don’t even think twice about it. Turn over rate is insane. Management here is the worst I’ve ever seen. If your looking for a long term job, this is not the place.
Pros
Staff and Customers
Cons
I rather liked all the people i met, it was a good place to work, i had to find something closer to home, but if i could do it over again id have stayed with custom instead.

Customers came in waves in between there was not much work to do

The staff were very friendly and helpful of new staff rather than try to fight over sales or commissions i often was finding staff friendly and saying hey do you want this sale?

The upper managers and head office were very accommodating people and the store has sick and personal days which i found very cool mental health can be a real issue and having personal days alongside sick days is very nice.

Ill always miss the store and the staff, it also has the best customers

No one was a problem to help or work with.
Sketchy business practices, overpricing services that used to be free, cutting wage of workers quarterly. Pushy sales incentives that lead to poor customer interactions pushed by upper management.
Pros
Commission was good at first
Cons
They cut our wages over 60% while I was there.
Have you ever been to a carnival and people always say careful of the carnies because they will screw You over? That is custom cellular management in a nut shell. By far the worst family ran business in Grande Prairie. They refuse to give final pay stubs, staff discriminate again each other on site, pay structure gets changed frequently the minute workers benefit. You are labelled stupid at the next head office meeting if you don’t Sell TV or Internet with EVERY cellphone. They are also against hiring certain groups like parents and students because of the “challenges that put on the company”. I also watched them force a coworker to use his holiday days for medical emergency before then firing him for being distraught instead of providing mental health assistance for him and his family. Just sickening.
24 September 2019
I am very sorry to hear about this experience. I am unsure about some of the feedback as we have multiple parents and students working successfully within our organization and do not discriminate in any way. We also do not force staff members to take holiday time for medical emergencies- in fact we encourage time off if a staff member is in need, and still give them their holiday time as well. I feel there may be some miscommunication or misunderstanding and would be happy to take a call from you to discuss this further and investigate your feedback. Please feel free to contact Head Office at any time. Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.
Custom Cellular in Fort St. John has been by far the best job for me yet. I am honestly so thankful I took the opportunity. Custom offers a great support system to their employees and seems very invested in always improving and taking their staff opinions into consideration. Management is so compassionate and always recognizes their staffs job well done and gives opportunity for growth in the company.
As long as you come into the job ready to work and willing to work you will succeed and gain a great relationship with management and co workers. It is a very team oriented environment.
Pros
Regular hours and consistency
Cons
No days off in December
Wonderful work environment. The stores I worked at had a very friendly environment with light-hearted competition. I got along with all but one of my coworkers, the management team was understanding and patient with me whenever I got sick, and my direct supervisor was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. If I was ever unsure of what to do next, I had several different channels to ask for help and assistance. It was a lot of fun following the tech industry, and learning ins and outs of devices to help customers. The pay is partially commission, and there were periods where I personally didn't sell enough for my own liking, but I had some busy months leading to paychecks that were almost double my normal amount. It is minimum wage plus commission, so you're paid as well as you sell. There were times where I got stuck for a while performing customer service or dealing with Telus over the phone, but everything is ratio based. . So while I did spend time stuck, if I sold well the rest of the week, there was no worry about losing out on pay. And because it's ratio based, there was very little "sharking", or bad blood for lost sales. I was more than happy pitching someone a phone and sending them to another location for the exact device they wanted, because I knew the same would come around. The upper management does pay attention, and I got several shoutouts as well as them recommending their personal friends to see me to get them set up with a device or provide tech support. I was offered tons of opportunities for extra programs for bonus commissions, tons of friendly competitions - more...
Pros
No commision caps! Everything is ratio based, so even slow months can have high payouts, depending on how well you sell. The location I was at had reliable, regular hours.
Cons
Some clients can test your patience.
The service is well worth the wait. Each employee sits down with you and goes over everything they can do to help you. They stay late and are always looking for better ways to improve. They are always cleaning so the place is comfortable and enjoyable to sit in. Even when their busy they let you know that they know you are their. I enjoy the conversations with each individual and they are very nice compared to other companies.

AS a agent at this store i would recommend it to anyone. Each employee currently here is a wonderful genuine person.
Pros
genuine, caring, clean, cheap, choices
Cons
wait times can exceed as to clients
Awesome place to make lots of $$ and feel valued for all of your hard work. Custom is amazing to make you feel like you’re all included and not just some number in a company. Super supportive management that will go above and beyond to make sure everyone is happy. They put their staff first and that’s definitely hard to come by. Highly recommend working for custom cellular :)
Being one of only 2 Telus locations in FSJ is great! You're almost constantly busy and because of most customers working in the patch they are constantly getting new phones and accessories.
You can earn great commissions here and a wide variety of customers you're not likely to get bored of the same old sales pitch or anything anytime soon.

Corporate did want us to push certain sales quotas and they were reasonably attainable apart from trying to get anyone to sign up for a home phone.

I don't think any of the staff that I worked with are still there but I had a good time with my team. Very helpful, friendly and good people!

Of course expect the usual and unavoidable office drama but no worse than any other job.
Pros
Good commissions structure, great location to earn a lot!
Cons
Occasionally too busy
I loved working with the customers, but got tired of how management and staff acted. It was just like I was back in high school and very immature. Four people would be working and I was the only one who would be sitting up front when the rest of them would be in the back talking for hours.
Pros
Fun customers
14 August 2019
We are very sorry to hear about your experience with us. We take this feedback very seriously and work to improve from it. Our Management Team has an open door policy and would have loved the opportunity to discuss these concerns with you. We wish you much success in the future!
After an interview to which I was told I in fact, slayed it, even told that I had done a very good job and in fact stepped up my game until this one day two of the higher ups came to the branch, printing something which turned out to be a notice of my termination there. I was then called into the back room with them telling me I am simply not needed there anymore, now after all that I tried to do my job the best I can, earned some encouragement from my trainers (who did a half-hearted job I must say) I was suddenly told, in a letter that had barely even a paragraph, yes, barely a paragraph! That my services are no longer required! I felt so disrespected and I felt I was treated sub-human! Those two weeks were good (for my learning experience). higher management is nothing short of mediocre!
Pros
Good starting wage.
Cons
Worst training program, management is nothing short of mediocre
I personally do not recommend working at this company. At first it seemed very welcoming, but over time there were so many changes within the company, and the turn over rate is extremely high that I wasn’t happy with who I was working with. The pay went down as well because it is commission based, and they change every so often (works out in the companies favour but not the employees). I believe that there could be a lot of improvements in management as well.
Pros
Some of the employees are good to work with
14 August 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. We are very sorry to hear about this and wish we could have had an opportunity to brainstorm and listen to your thoughts and ideas on how we could improve. We take this feedback very seriously and sincerely thank you for sharing this with us.
Let me save you the hassle, sure it looks like your going get paid good, they will cut your pay annually. You will watch your best co-workers get fired for absolutely no reason. Head Office is a joke, everybody is sleeping with everybody, and they do not care about you whatsoever.
Pros
Met some good people until they got fired for no reason.
Cons
Everything unfortunately.
11 March 2019
We are sorry to hear that your experience with us was not what you had anticipated. We take pride in our staff and truly work to give everyone the best experience with us.

Our Commission structure changes at times in accordance with behaviors and goals from TELUS. With that in mind, it is always created with various ways in which staff can earn more money when they sell various items. This most recent change aligned with the increase in our Hourly base wage.

As for the firing of staff, this is something we do our best to avoid at all costs. We take the time to work with staff and give them opportunities to change prior to taking this route.

Thank for you taking the time to leave a review, and we truly wish you the best for the future.
I worked for this company for 2 years, maybe closer to 3. I have 0 complaints about this place! they're fantastic with they're employees and treat us fair and equal!
15 January 2019
This is great to hear! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, it is greatly appreciated!