Crowe MacKay LLP Employee Reviews for Senior Accountant

Very stressful work environment
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT18 November 2018
I worked here for over 2 years. It is one of the most hostile work environments I have encountered.

No constructive feedback was provided even though it is a training office... only condescending comments were provided or no feedback at all. The partners would rather talk behind your back and not to your face.

You are told that you will only have to travel 3-4 weeks during busy season.. which was a lie. I had travel assignments 7-8 weeks in the spring to remote communities.. two to three weeks away at a time from your family and friends. And then I was reprimanded when returning to the office for not returning a client phone call. Not sure how I was supposed to check my voicemail when I’m not physically in the office.

I was also reprimanded for not meeting my chargeable hour budget even though I communicated on multiple occasions (and proactively) that I needed work.

The partners picked favourites as well and made it very obvious to the rest of the employees. This caused significant hostility and unhealthy competition between the staff accountants.
Pros
Salaries and benefits, vacation flexibility during slow season
Cons
Firm Culture, travel
Crowe MacKay LLP Yellowknife
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT26 October 2015
I'm not originally from Yellowknife but I decided to apply and then accept a job with Crowe Mackay as an opportunity to try something new and different.

Like most accounting firms you are required to work in teams that change weekly therefore it is essential to be a team player. The ability to work with others and keep a positive attitude is a pretty big determinant of success.

I've found the firm very supportive of students working on CPA, I've attended three separate Densmore prep sessions, all have been informative and helped me pass the modules. They also pay for all expenses to attend the module workshops.

The work/life balance varies, during the busy season you are expected to work a significant amount of overtime while during the slower periods you can take Fridays off. I've always found them to be very understanding and accommodative when it comes to taking vacations as well.

I have had many opportunities to advance quickly within the firm and also had the opportunity to do a secondment at another firm within the Crowe Horwath network. I've always found the firm supportive of their employees which can be seen by sponsoring different teams to play on and hosting events/parties above the norm of other firms I've worked at.

Overall it's been a great experience and I'd highly recommend reaching out to current employees through Linkedin if you are interested.
Pros
Flexibility