Cree School Board

Cree School Board Employee Reviews

amazing

overall great experience. I made amazing friends and gave me a lot of experience in working. I have got a lot of knowledge about the culture and traditions of the people there.

Depending on the village and the principal the experience can vary

Some villages will have a culture that can be hostile to teachers whereas others will be much more open. It was important to develop rapport with my student's parents, but only over time. Generally the first year is difficult because neither the students nor their families know you and this is crucial. I learned a vast amount about teaching and most of what I learned in school I had to let go of because of the situations in Cree villages. So much of the teaching there involved a teacher's rapport with their students and families. Also, one has to teach to do a lot of differentiation and it is best always work with your colleagues. My experience with administrations in the Cree School Board is varied. There are some principals who have a clear understanding and vision that they implement and there are others who struggle. Often, villages like to have a principal who is local and this sets up a struggle because an administrator has conflicting loyalties to families in the village and members of their staff who are often from out of town. In some villages, the culture is very open and supportive and some can have cliquish, exclusionary groups. Once again, I find a person has to make it past the first year before they really begin to fit in. If you are a teacher from southern Canada, I found it difficult to be so far away from home. I was able to buy most of the food that I like. I was happy to visit my family at Christmas and what is called Spring Break as well as 6 weeks off in the summer, but still I missed my family. A wonderful thing is to eventually see that -

Pros

Experiencing Northern Quebec, Coming to understand Cree culture and point of view better, An opportunity to grow as a teacher sometimes with the support of colleagues, Very low rent for housing, Winter sports are amazing

Cons

I was never clear what the Cree School Board thought of me, If I lived in a community that was somewhat hostile it was hard

productive and stimulating

Provides good working conditions. Good work culture and very stimulating conditions and environment for personal and professional growth. Provides up to date resources and technology as tools for teaching.

Sometimes Challenging Clients

I found it difficult teaching the students I had. They were reading, writing and learning math two, three and four grade levels lower than students in urban centres. They were often off-task and uncooperative.

Pros

Full-time experience on your resume, a nice pay cheque

Cons

Isolation, lack of discipline, unhelpful parents, leadership of the school sided with students

Since I don't work in their offices I do not benefit from the staff activities and other social functions.

The CSB is well organized with excellent management tteam who offer excellent fringe benefits. But because I'm an independent consultant advancement does not apply to me. It's a good place to work.

Pros

Excellent benefits

Cons

As a consultant, I work long hours to complete my assignment to meet deadlines. I don't get over-time, and no paid holidays.

teaching is fun

I was never upset while i was teaching , the student you respect they will do the same to you.

Pros

i enjoy traveling

Cons

short hours

Nice enthusiastic co-workers.

A typical day for a substitute teacher would be pretty simple and easy, because the teachers will have work ready for the students already.

Awesome staffs and Teachers, Great to work with, upbeat and fun to work for.

HR and payroll office for the school. Loved the staff and teachers, it was hard to go home, I was always volunteering for after school events...I love to be around people and not at a desk all the time; this job was awesome for that.

Pros

Stressful but happy environment

Cons

long drive to and fro

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cree School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3