Crate and Barrel Employee Reviews

Short but fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 May 2018
Thoroughly enjoyable place to work... culture is warm, knowledge is very useful and not too busy in terms of traffic. Able to grow, sell and grow enraged over the repetitive Christmas music!
was great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 May 2018
nice people to work with nice management, had to dust around store, they had daily activities store isn't too busy. Christmas can get very busy in the store.
Management needs to be changed
Merchandising associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
I worked at Crate & Barrel for 2 years. In the 2 years I was there I was bullied by management, not formally trained to do certain task and then written up because I was not following protocol. I was sexually harassed and when I brought it up to management there was no action taken and I had to continue to work with the employee that sexually harassed me.
Pros
during inventory sometimes there would be free food
Cons
management was irresponsible with everything
An all around great place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE/SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 March 2018
Working on the sales floor at Crate and Barrel was always a fantastic opportunity to enjoy the day. The people that come through and work at Crate and Barrel stores are diverse and have strong work ethics. After a year at Crate and Barrel I moved to the customer service office to try something new. Like any customer service office it had its challenges. A voice on the phone expressing disappointment about an order is never an easy thing. The phone calls that express gratitude make the difficult calls worth it. Leaving this job was one of the hardest things I've done. The commute from Burnaby to almost downtown vancouver every day wasn't ideal.
Pros
Long lunches, great conversations, fantastic products, friends/coworkers that feel like family
Cons
the occasional difficult customer, little room for advancement
beautiful store, fun co-workers, poorly qualified management
Team Lead/Department Head (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta10 March 2018
I was so So excited for this opportunity. I was hired as a Team lead.
That is when things started to go sideways. the changed the name of my position JUST after I quit my other job (which paid WAY MORE) and did not have a job description for the new position. So on my first couple of days I saw my "staff" hanging around, i suggested that perhaps dusting or organization while chatting would be more productive. La-Oops, they had not told ANY of the staff I was a supervisor. I was called into the office to "talk" it was at this point i found out my "Supervisor or Team Lead" position was gone (to a staff that was on shift). I was never informed of this position change, made me look real stupid. I was basically a head cashier with not leadership authority, and no input to the stores success. I found this a darn shame. The staff at the store I left still tell me what a great lead I was (the best).
As a mid 40's person I did (and still do) not see the need to hold back an opinion when it needs to be said. This was a disaster with management with very tender Egos. Anyways things deteriorated to a point that I was very disrespected by management. So I choose to leave. Now I see there is an ASM position. I am so tempted to apply. I would be the best management they have had there. Many co-workers from different departments said this to my face.
Pros
super fun front line staff, good discount.
Cons
management, and the fragile egos... Many Many long term staff very unhappy and infecting the entire workplace
Retail Job
Customer Service/ Sales Associate/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2018
It's great for a part time job that isn't your main source of income. If you are a full time employee you get benefits. They only have a few full time employees at a time. It is typically very difficult to advance in the company. They often give the jobs you want to advance into to people they hired outside of the company. You are never without tasks at Crate & Barrel, so if you like keeping busy it is great. You will meet a lot of great personalities.
Pros
Awesome co-workers, free lunches sometimes, supportive assistant managers
Cons
work overload
Great staff and beautiful work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2018
Being hired as a Seasonal Sales Associate the push for sales was high. Little opportunity to advance to full-time (with benefits). Staff was excellent to work with. Management was always helpful with training.
Pros
Great staff discount on merchandise
Cons
minimum wage with little opportunity to advance to full-time with benefits
crate and barrel work review
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2017
Good job wth great co-workers and good managers however gave very few shifts with little pay. Average work day consists of a 7 hour shift. The work balance between floor and stock room was terrible.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 July 2017
Good experience
Training provided
Good management
Flexible work hours
Good place to start work
Merchandise discount
Quality products on display
Clean work area
Crate is family
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 July 2017
While working at crate and barrel it legitimately felt like one big family that cares for each other and is full of dependable people. The management staff treat you as if your equal to their level, rank is but a tittle to them and that what made going to work so fun. We all got together outside of work and were truly friends inside and outside of work. While working for this company it never felt like work more like helping each other keep our 'home" running efficiently.
Pros
you will inherit a new family
Cons
you'll never want to leave
Great place to work, but very low hours motivated me to quit.
Warehouse and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 June 2017
Most days were fun and engaging, I've worked in a few warehouse/retail environments and crate and barrel was very comfortable as far as retail goes. My coworkers were lovely and a lot of fun, the culture was incredible.

I eventually quit after missing two shifts, humiliating I know. I'd stopped checking the scheduling app because shifts were so rare for me. I was a part time employee who had been trained for both sales and warehouse work, but I was lucky to get more than 3 hours week, down from 35 hours a week during the holiday season. I stopped being able to continue investments or pay bills, and despite asking many managers about the situation I was always told that all part time employees were dealing with this, and there was nothing they could do.

The company hired more people while many employees, not just myself, were on austerity hours. This was very frustrating and I quit.

I'm sad that my employment ended with them the way it did, I really enjoyed the culture and the people and I would've kept working there had they kept giving me a reliable salary.
amazing
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 June 2017
This retail was a great experience. Very recommended if you're interested in retail. The management was great and took care of their employees. Highly recommended.
Great working environment! Very nice products.
Sales and Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2017
Enjoyable job with fun, positive people. Flexible scheduling. I gained a lot of knowledge and experience dealing with customers and working in a fast paced retail business.
fun work with staffs
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2017
Crate& Barrel is so elegant that I love there to see many different items. also new arrival. people are very friendly, helped. many customers come in the store brought some Glassware and Kitchen Tools most of them. Items high quality.
Pros
always host small party
Cons
12 pers hours
Welcoming and relaxed
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2017
Very kind and supportive team. Learned to manage small groups of people, while ensuring productivity for smooth work days. Teams were always acknowledged for accomplishments and hard work, without overwhelming sense of pressure. On busy days, have to be quick to problem solve and meet clients' needs, and on slow days were able to learn/practice new skills.
Pros
Fun, relaxed work environment
Cons
Can get hectic trying to multi-task on busy days
Fun workplace
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 February 2017
Working here is great but the pay and hours are not the greatest. I recommend working her if you want a second job for more income.
higher salary or discount persentage
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 December 2016
company does not honor the hard work of its team enough! salary is so low compare to the work load. there is no real appreciation program as some other companies have.
nice colleague and manager
Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
crate and barrel has good place to work, there are nice colleague and manager and helpful. i like this place although the wage is low.
very fun, and work friendly environment.
Crate & Barrel, south centre (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 May 2016
had a great time working here for the seasonal warehouse, always had something to do, and always had clear instructions of what needed to be done.
Pros
great hours
Management issues and unreasonable expectations of staff responsibility without compensation
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 January 2016
Management in store and at the higher levels were the biggest problems with this company. They don't seem to realize that minimum wage with no benefits, working just shy of full time hours without being a full time staff member due to budget constraints, does not make for happy, healthy employees. When you spend all your life working and can still barely afford rent and food it's not a good fit.

The number of times lower level staff members, as a higher authority access on the computer system, were left essentially in charge of the floor while the managers had all store meetings, without being compensated with thanks or proper salary level, was laughable. Lack of advancement within the company was another issue. If you have long term staff who are trained and competent in higher level job qualifications, why would you pass them over for the few promotions that come up and hire from outside, starting from scratch? It's not good for morale.

If it weren't for the relationships that grew with my coworkers I would not have stayed as long as I did. I have some lifelong friends from this store

This kind of work situation is to be expected from lower level customer service jobs, but Crate & Barrel touts itself as a higher end option for customers, you'd think they be that for employees too.

This is a fine job for someone looking to get out of the house on a part time basis for some extra cash, but it is not a job to live off of.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crate and Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.