Crate and Barrel Employee Reviews

Environnement agrėable
Commis vendeuse (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC8 April 2019
C’est un environnement agréable. Tout est bien organisé quant à nos tâches.
Pros
Bel environnement
Cons
Longues heures debout
Amazing Work Environment
MERCHANDISE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 February 2019
Busy during the holiday season, love the work spirit. Probably best managers I have come across. Team spirit is high and everyone helps each other no matter the seniority or work experience.
Pros
Growth Oppurtunity
Cons
Unpaid Mandatory Break
First permanent part-time
Merchandising & Visual Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 January 2019
This was my first part-time job opportunity and I'm glad it was with Crate & Barrel. I learned a lot in terms of stocking product as well as shipping and handling working in the stock room. The work environment is great and everyone is super nice. Basically became my second family. Would definitely re-apply to work there again.
Excellent people to work with
Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2018
The people that I work with are some of the best people that I have known all my life. I have made great friends and have had the chance to work around my school schedule. Some of the management was chosen without thorough review but other than that the store is run well. One major issue is the lack of availability of hours.
Horrible place to work
Sales Associate/Stock/Store design (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2018
the manager is racist and the work environment is hectic. the emloyees are nice however and will probaly be the only reason why you work here. but other then that do not work here unless it holidays and you need quick cash
Is an OK place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Canada6 September 2018
Management is not great they need to work more on it, they are sometimes low in staff or overload, but never the right amount. in general is OK to work there.
Pros
some co-workers and employee discount
Cons
wage
Great store with excellent products and client oriented
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 September 2018
Great store to work on, high-end products and you get 30% discount as an employee. No benefits for part-time associates. Co-workers and managers are nice and care about employees.
gong show management
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  edmonoton4 August 2018
I started at C&B almost a year ago and still have seen no form of training despite bringing it up multiple times.

both the store manager and back of house manager consistently display childish behaviors and levels of pettiness that are unbelievable. any form of respect you ask from management is met with passive-aggressive behavior like limited shifts or no shifts at all.

I have personally experienced this many times and nothing is ever done

despite being one of the top 5 stores in the company we are told that the store is not making money and hours get moved to staff who are favorited by managers.
Pros
good staff
Cons
everything else
very relaxed
SEASONAL SALES (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 June 2018
its super chill working here, don't have to memorize much just how to look up items on the computer and be able to bring items to the floor. making sure every customer is being helped.
Frustrating environment/ Not worth the Pay!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
Not what I expected from a big company like this. Understaffed regularly...making it stressful for the few employees on the sales floor and back of house. Management is all over that place and expects staff to operate with minimal training/ assistance. With holds vacation/ back pay. Makes promises regarding wage and position which are not followed up on, when issues are addressed excuses are made.
Pros
Co- workers are friendly
Cons
No consistency with scheduled hours.
Fast paced Back-of-house work
Back of House Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2018
The work can be stressfully busy or extremely relaxed - some days are a mix of both. If you don't mind the business of working in a mall, you'll enjoy the downtime and connecting with your coworkers.
Short but fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 May 2018
Thoroughly enjoyable place to work... culture is warm, knowledge is very useful and not too busy in terms of traffic. Able to grow, sell and grow enraged over the repetitive Christmas music!
was great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 May 2018
nice people to work with nice management, had to dust around store, they had daily activities store isn't too busy. Christmas can get very busy in the store.
Management needs to be changed
Merchandising associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
I worked at Crate & Barrel for 2 years. In the 2 years I was there I was bullied by management, not formally trained to do certain task and then written up because I was not following protocol. I was sexually harassed and when I brought it up to management there was no action taken and I had to continue to work with the employee that sexually harassed me.
Pros
during inventory sometimes there would be free food
Cons
management was irresponsible with everything
An all around great place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE/SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 March 2018
Working on the sales floor at Crate and Barrel was always a fantastic opportunity to enjoy the day. The people that come through and work at Crate and Barrel stores are diverse and have strong work ethics. After a year at Crate and Barrel I moved to the customer service office to try something new. Like any customer service office it had its challenges. A voice on the phone expressing disappointment about an order is never an easy thing. The phone calls that express gratitude make the difficult calls worth it. Leaving this job was one of the hardest things I've done. The commute from Burnaby to almost downtown vancouver every day wasn't ideal.
Pros
Long lunches, great conversations, fantastic products, friends/coworkers that feel like family
Cons
the occasional difficult customer, little room for advancement
Not the best environment
MERCHANDISING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Laval21 March 2018
Not the best environment but it's a good place to grow and learn about yourself. It's a good part time job if you need flexibility as a student but once you need to work full time there might not be any hours available.
Pros
Flexible part time hours
Cons
Gossip, poor management
beautiful store, fun co-workers, poorly qualified management
Team Lead/Department Head (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta10 March 2018
I was so So excited for this opportunity. I was hired as a Team lead.
That is when things started to go sideways. the changed the name of my position JUST after I quit my other job (which paid WAY MORE) and did not have a job description for the new position. So on my first couple of days I saw my "staff" hanging around, i suggested that perhaps dusting or organization while chatting would be more productive. La-Oops, they had not told ANY of the staff I was a supervisor. I was called into the office to "talk" it was at this point i found out my "Supervisor or Team Lead" position was gone (to a staff that was on shift). I was never informed of this position change, made me look real stupid. I was basically a head cashier with not leadership authority, and no input to the stores success. I found this a darn shame. The staff at the store I left still tell me what a great lead I was (the best).
As a mid 40's person I did (and still do) not see the need to hold back an opinion when it needs to be said. This was a disaster with management with very tender Egos. Anyways things deteriorated to a point that I was very disrespected by management. So I choose to leave. Now I see there is an ASM position. I am so tempted to apply. I would be the best management they have had there. Many co-workers from different departments said this to my face.
Pros
super fun front line staff, good discount.
Cons
management, and the fragile egos... Many Many long term staff very unhappy and infecting the entire workplace
Retail Job
Customer Service/ Sales Associate/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2018
It's great for a part time job that isn't your main source of income. If you are a full time employee you get benefits. They only have a few full time employees at a time. It is typically very difficult to advance in the company. They often give the jobs you want to advance into to people they hired outside of the company. You are never without tasks at Crate & Barrel, so if you like keeping busy it is great. You will meet a lot of great personalities.
Pros
Awesome co-workers, free lunches sometimes, supportive assistant managers
Cons
work overload
Great staff and beautiful work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2018
Being hired as a Seasonal Sales Associate the push for sales was high. Little opportunity to advance to full-time (with benefits). Staff was excellent to work with. Management was always helpful with training.
Pros
Great staff discount on merchandise
Cons
minimum wage with little opportunity to advance to full-time with benefits
crate and barrel work review
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2017
Good job wth great co-workers and good managers however gave very few shifts with little pay. Average work day consists of a 7 hour shift. The work balance between floor and stock room was terrible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crate and Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.