CP RAIL Employee Reviews

Not the career for everyone
conductor/engineer (Current Employee) –  moose jaw, sk.8 March 2018
Working 7 days a week. By saying that I mean you start work any hour off your rest. (max 24 hours) I am tired all the time. Mentally and physical exhausted.

Most middle managers are over worked too. Doing the job of 3 people. Anyone with the skillset to multi task has quit or moved into field operations.

It's sad how this job has changed since Hunter took over. To me it seems our terminal has taken the brunt of the dirty work for the system. Cutting yard and switcher jobs, locking out storage tracks, pushing road crews to the limits, violating our collective agreements.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
work life balance is very poor
Was a good job for 25 years down hill ever since no regard for you of family
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bc21 February 2018
You will hear all about how they care about safety and a harassment free work place . That in nonsense they manage with harassment and intimidation pay is good don’t plan to spend more than one day at home at a time
Pros
Pay
Cons
Work life balance
Hard job guys are amazing to work with
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Wynyard, SK14 January 2018
Very physically demanding job . Being on call all the time is crazy hard to balance and the pay isn’t that great for what a guy has to go threw . Guys there were amazing to work with .
Fun and productive
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2018
Did not like the conflict between management and Union, felt like I was being scrutinized all the tie by mangement, people I worked with were great, but would take advantage of you in a heartbeat
Poison stay away
Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 December 2017
This company will work you like a slave and leave your for dead when you get hurt and can't work anymore. They will break the law and ignore their duty of accommodation and dare you to take them on because they have deep pockets. Train conducting is a dangerous job and you will get hurt at some time. If you get hurt bad and can't do it anymore you will be out of luck. Stay away from this company. They also do not care if you are being harrassed by more senior employees and that will get pretty bad.

Be warned. Go to CN stay away from CP Rail. It was the worst experience of my life.
Pros
Pays well, Red Deer is a great place
Cons
Poison corporate culture, Union is poisonous and only cares about the elected members and friends
A place to avoid
Trainmaster (Current Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC18 November 2017
Very long hours with zero appreciation. Was not the job description that lured me to accept the position would not ever recommend employment here for anyone.
Not great
train crew (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
long hours and odd every changing schedules. The company is more worried about the share holders making money then how things are on the ground for the employees
High stress very very dangerous work
Carmen welder (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam BC1 May 2017
Working for CP rail for 34 years I love the work I really really enjoyed the work but employees there are treated like slaves no respect for staff whatsoever in the company
Pros
Love the work and a decent pension
Cons
No respect
Sad place now
Rail car mechanic (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 March 2017
A poisonous environment. Not treated the way employees of a big corporation should be. Bullying managers, only company I know that hire you to want to fire you.
Benefits
Cons
No home balance
cp was not a fun place to work, never had a schedule to work with. worked all hours day and night with no scheduled days off. i am now retired.
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC23 February 2017
I worked 35 yrs for cp and the one thing I can say was I liked working with my fellow employees. the responsibility of handling 20000 ton trains was challenging and enjoyable.
Pros
wages and pension
Cons
no schedule, long hours.
sadly changed for the worst
Production Manager, Engineering Services (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 February 2017
The company now has no respect for the individual nor for any that disagree with management. Following orders is all that matter under the new management structure.
Pros
wages
Cons
lack of indivuduality
L'entreprise est à l'écoute des besoins des employés et du management
Directeur adjoint (Former Employee) –  Côte-Saint-Luc, QC22 September 2016
J'ai apprécié grandement d'avoir travaillé pendant 37 ans pour cette entreprise
Pros
Pension
Productive and stimulating workplace.
Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON13 March 2016
Productive and stimulating workplace.
Always learning new skills.
Supportive management teams.

Office administration work consisting mainly of computer related applications.
Pros
Free lunches
n/a
BC District Track Maintenance Crew Supv. (Former Employee) –  BC, Canada13 October 2015
Inventory control
Parts ordering/ distribution
Phone calls, Conference calls
Working with mechanics and other employees as well as working alone
Quality control
Productive high pace high stressful job
Trainmaster (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC8 September 2015
New challenges everyday which can be very stressful at times for both management and union employees. Typical day you list the workload to your train crews to build and service our customers. Having to advise a customer that they will not receive service today due to time restraints. I plan each day to ensure my staff is made aware of any safety concerns and they are job briefed for the tasks that they are given.
Challenging
Production Supervisor Locomotive / Car Shop (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON17 August 2015
Set up repair staff for Car and Locomotive repairs. Supervise all repair functions. Review any car or locomotives set off online and manage staff to repair using road repair truck. Do all SAP functions for car / locomotive and staff pay.
Constantly learning everyday.
Management is very good they are very clear with expectations.
My co-workers are very knowledgeable and good to work with.
Hardest part is with the reduction of staff and managers is being able to juggle priorities and stay on top of everything and not let anything dwell longer than it needs to.
Most enjoyable is the satisfaction of doing a good job and having no train delays in my territory caused by bad order cars or locomotive breakdowns.
Pros
Doing a job I love
Great Environment and Great People
RAIL CAR MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2015
I love to work with all my coworkers . I loved the flexible shifts and the job I performed.I learned many new things and worked with many tools that I have never seen before. My bosses were excellent and I enjoyed the variety of jobs that were done at the company
I great place to learn
Signals and communication Tech (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2014
Started on the track with a sledge hammer and worked my way up to working in the head office doing technical work. the hardest thing was the decision to leave.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Over Managed.
Travail d'équipe
Mécanicien de wagons (Former Employee) –  Côte St-Luc20 March 2014
Petite réunion sur la sécurité pour débuter la journée,
nous protégeons notre aire de travail au moyen de cadenas et de drapeaux, nous inspectons le wagon avarié et nous le réparons ainsi de suite.
Nous sommes jumeler à un autre employé.

L'aspect le plus difficile du poste est de trouver un problème de fuite d'air sur les freins à air.
L'aspect le plus agréable est de trouver le problème
Since Hunter Harrison took over it has become unpredictable, miserable place to work
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC9 August 2013
Jobs and safety measures have been cut to increase share pricing. Hundreds of employee's have quit and moved on to different jobs. Management is inconsistent and thrives on discipline. Intimidation and threats are a everyday occurrence on the job.

On-call 24-7 Not entitled to a lunch break on a 10 hr shift.
Cell phone use on jobs that allow breaks which are unpaid is prohibited

In general I do not like speaking down on a company but what I have witnessed in the last year and a half is unbelievable. Im looking for a career change into the energy, mining or petroleum industries.