CP Distributors Employee Reviews

Working at CP Distributors
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 October 2018
One will never be bored working for CP Distributors.

CP is an amazing company to work for, very fast paced. Sometimes keeping one's head above water can be challenging but that is what some of us live for.

Everyday is a learning experience in one way or another, with those that have specialized in certain areas of what CP provides, you can never go without finding an answer.

I have worked in the industry for number of years and for a couple of other companies in this industry. I have to say that CP far outweighs them all. They care about the employee's and strive to help them succeed!
Pros
Education, Benefits, Experiences
Cons
can't think of any
An office full of energy and good attitude.
Administration (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 October 2018
Fast paced environment with full busy days in the office . Team orientated attitude with a "how can we make this better" resolution. Good salary with yearly reviews, recognition, and pay raises. Management always open to suggestions and willing to help find solutions to issues. In house training and education classes are always available. Lots of staff activities from holiday parties to pumpkin carving, bbq's, pool tournaments, golfing, pot-luck dinners, and staff recognition awards. The people at this office are its best asset; so I consider it the best environment I have worked in to date.
Pros
Communication environment.
Cons
Work load can be heavy at times.
Great change of pace from my last job in this industry
Project Manager (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Western Canada24 August 2018
CP has been a refreshing, positive, forward thinking change from the previous company I worked for (in the same industry).

This company "DOES" what all of the other companies just talk about, and then never take action. CP is progressive, and is fully invested into being at the front of this industry in Canada.

Every company has pros and cons, but it's been hard to find a "con" within this organization in my short time employed here. I'd recommend this company (and have recommended it) to anyone within the industry looking fresh positive change to their current career. (from inside, or outside this industry)
Pros
progressiveness of thinking at all levels
Cons
Need to attract more high level talent from within the organization
Unpleasant Experience
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 August 2018
I was there for a year and a half and 80% of the staff changed, it was a revolving door. Head office had unrealistic expectations of how to proceed and develop the day to day of the branch.
Pros
Willing to provide education for some skill development.
"Great people, great support, impact oriented atmosphere"
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK23 August 2018
Fast paced organization, always looking to improve and be better at what they do. A vast amount of products and services to handle every aspect of the commercial building landscape.
Extremely Poor Leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2018
Poor leadership from the Branch Manager including screaming loudly at employees in public spaces. Very disorganized and confrontational work environment.
Worst place ever!
marketing (Former Employee) –  Edmonton14 February 2018
Sales team and management need to go!! Very immature and selfish, if you work at the Edmonton branch you will need to watch you're back. Sales team doesn't like new people and will do anything to get you out of there. After I was harassed for months I took my complaint to the GM and he did nothing. Even he would make female staff feel uncomfortable with inappropriate remarks. Do not work here if you want to be bullied and have your boss make you feel like you want to go home and take a long shower!
Pros
90% of the people we cool
Cons
worse than highschool
Accounting clerk
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 June 2017
I really enjoyed working with the people. They were all so friendly and helpful. The workplace culture was very fun. The management was helpful in helping you get ahead.
Pros
Good leadership
Cons
went bankrupt
Good place to work for the 1st three years.
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 November 2016
Had the best sales Manager, cared about his people.
Work environment was clean and profession for most part.
Company tested and implemented new software estimating programs that were beneficial to more accuracy. Training could have been better.

Unfortunately new branch manager was hired from a non-related business (the Tile business) and though he was a nice guy, I personally felt he was not the right guy for the position. Over time it learned that 3several previous companies he had managed either mediocre or declining sales after he took over.

his sales meeting were lackluster and essentially consisted of telling sales (Account Manager) related staff once a month that we need to sell more but he could never give any specifics on how to do that as he didn't understand the nature of our business which was essentially Bidding projects in a structured tender system.

Long story short, eventually it was discovered he had purchased a franchise company and did more work on that for the last 6 months before he eventually left the company.

The most enjoyable part of my job was estimating various products from construction blue prints and dealing with architects and contractors clarifying specs and drawing to ensure we submitted a fair proposal that secured us the project with out losing money.

Building relationships with Contractors during construction and being proactive to prevent potential problems was also quite rewarding.
Pros
Very close to home. Had a great branch manager. Liked majority of people.
Cons
Open cubicle work space so lots of uneccesary personal cell phones ringing during working hours
learning was good
Sales/Marketing (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK6 April 2016
made sure employees where trained and made sure training was provided to employees. enjoyed getting all the different training
daily work
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 July 2015
very fast paced with quick changes and needs to the daily tasks at hand requires multitasking
can be demanding and challenging at times
Pros
fairly stress free workplace
Cons
no consistent manegement guidelines
many years wasted
installer (Former Employee) –  calgary22 May 2015
I would not recommend working for these clowns. The pay was terrible, they covered no cost on tools or consumable material used to do their jobs, made me use my own vehicle to do their deliveries to save them money and gave me no compensation for the fuel I used, had a very hard time keeping crews busy and shorted many hours in a work week and in pay.
The office managers were always rude and unprofessional and had very little knowledge in specifics toward the projects and seemed to care less.
Job quotes and site measurements done by the office staff were always wrong or never complete and I was expected to cover for their mistakes, and when it came down to the wire and the contractors were dissatisfied they'd pin all their mistakes on me the installer and pretty much throw me under the bus.
Their warehouse was always a mess which always lead to any deliveries they covered to be missing supplies and material. Their benefit plan is a joke, and really no perks in this job whatsoever.

Overall it was an embarrassment to work for CP Distributors.

Don't waste you time, keep looking!!!!!
Pros
Cons
read below
good place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 February 2014
Arrive at work at 7:15 am have coffee with co workers start at 7:30 am work till lunch have a half hour lunch then continue to work until 4 pm. proper ways to weld on gauge metal, management was great everyone got along the branch manager will probably be one of my favorite bosses i will ever have in my life. Co workers weren't to bad although a bit unorganized in the office. The hardest part of the job was not getting bored during the slower times. I enjoyed how the whole company did stuff together had Christmas lunch etc.
Pros
great environment, good people
Cons
hours didn't count towards school
Great enviroment to work in proffesional/ firiendly.
Receptionist/ Accounts Payables (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 June 2013
A typical day at work included everything from doing a morning report on the attendance for the office, to doing a cash sales journal for the accounting side of the branch.
We had a tennis Table and competition during lunch and after work...
Business Development Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2012
They know how to balance work and play. They have a yearly Christmas party, monthly BBQ's.
A typical day at CP usually start at the coffee pot and we chat and share info. I learned a lot about steel doors and hardware. The management was lkow key and let the staff enjoy the day as long as they were productive. The Co-Workers were very easy and enjoyable to deal with. The hardest part of the job was getting support form Co-workers.
Pros
bbq's monthly
Cons
low pay
An aggressive and progressive company.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2012
The job is highly dynamic requiring close coordination with both internal and external customers. It also requires one to be technically adept and with attention to details. The management is cognizant of the iindustry and market challenges and makes the necessary training and support to its employees to properly equip them to face these challenges. The working atmosphere is like a family with different tasks but looking at the same objective. The most challenging if not hardest part of the job is to consistenly meet if not exceed the customers requirement which is similarly dynamic as typical in a construction industry. Otherwise, the job offers creativity and regular interaction with customers are real satisfying especially when they appreciate your effort in giving them your best service.
Pros
1. dynamic and innovative industry
Cons
highly competitive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CP Distributors. Our community is ready to answer.