Covenant House International

Covenant House International Employee Reviews

Canada41 reviews
Everything is micromanaged. Management has their own agenda and does not care for input from anyone under them. It's hard to advance. You need permission from your current manager to apply for other departments and if they deny permission then you'll never leave their department - i.e. you have no control over your own advancement within the agency; it's at their discretion ONLY.
law suites have a budget here because they management is so poor. Honestly don't work here, don't donate here, and don't recommend these services. They are taking resources and allocating them to HR and Communications. they actual program services are on tight budgets, the team's are in shambles due to the poor leadership. There is no consistency in practice. Youth have died in the care of this organization and employees were fired for speaking up.
Pros
Cons
Aggressive managment, poor ethical practice, misuse of resources.
Would not recommend this place to anyone, no matter how desperate you are for a pay cheque. They try to control your thought process and what you say to the kids you are working with. Total control freaks, Try to tell you how you should live your life outside of work. Where do they get the gall or chutpaz to tell people how they should live their life outside of work. Beware, there is no room for other religious beliefs. Would not recommend this place to anyone, other than your worst enemy.
I loved working at Covenant House. Professional and collaborative team! An excellent organization with a wonderful mission in the community. Provides professional development training and a supportive environment for youth workers and other staff to be their best.
Good coworkers but don't expect to ever climb up the ladder. The pay at the top is heavy and evenly raced. If you aren't old and white then forget the ladder.
Very chill work environment, with flexible hours. Not stressful. Learned good time management skills and workplace etiquette. The best part was helping individuals.
Some great staff but some toxic ones that definetly wreck working here for a lot of us. Certain management is worse then others departments you work in. No job security
Working in development and communications at Covenant House Toronto is extremely challenging. Senior Management is highly demanding and critical and the managers are encouraged to be highly competitive and push their teams beyond reason. The work environment is very stressful and work life balance is not supported. The organization is very good at fundraising and you will learn a lot if you can survive the politics. The turnover is very high and good people don't stay long. The pay and benefits are good but there is no upward mobility and the organization doesn't care about poor leadership of this department.
helping at risk young adults.
talking and opening dialog

helping with resources, taking to meetings

enjoying helping ,listening , being a person they want help from.
Incredible organization to volunteer at. I highly recommend it, for anyone who wants to volunteer at a youth shelter. The youth are engaging and staff are very accommodating and approachable.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Covenant House International?
You do not get appropriate supervision, if hired as a casual be prepared to get little work and difficult to advance, don't trust that they will give you a good reference even if they say they will.
Everyone was welcoming, kind and helpful. My boss was very patient and always tried her best to get me learn as much as possible. Parties eventually occurs with fantastic food.
I arrive work at 8:15 am earlier most of the time unless I had to drop my baby brother to school due to my mom having to work at a very early time. As I'm there I say good morning to who's at the front desk and to who I see on my way to change into my uniform, then head downstairs and wait for other team members to arrive as I speak everyone and ask about their night, talk about mine until the chef comes in the office and gives us orders for the day. In the kitchen, I wash my hands, put on an apron, have two towels set in my apron, and wear a hairnet. Depending on what food is going to be made I get the tools I need, listen to the chef give out information on the kind of food we're gonna make and then the chef teaches us how to cook or bake the recipe we're given. What I learned at covenant house is to call in ahead of time if I'm going to be running late. I learned that being professionalism has nothing to do with discrimination, this job has taught me to reach my fullest potential to anything in life without an excuse, and I thank the managers for the lesson.
Pros
Gym time on Fridays, get paid to eat what we cook!!
Cons
Ends too early
Can't speak to clients about birth control, sex or drugs. Forget talking about birth control, you'll be gone so fast your head will be spinning.
Archaic, old school support for street kids who are not 'into religion'

You better be into God if you want to work here.

No room for independent thinkers here.

Do as your told and nobody will get hurt.

Sounds vaguely familiar doesn't it.

Stay away, do yourself a favor.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No room for free, independent thinking, you better fall in line or suffer the consequences (meaning YOUR FIRED) So sad.
Very supportive environment to work in, employers really care about employees. The work can be difficult at times, however, knowing that the organization works in a trauma-informed way and the emphasis is always focused on provided the best care possible, for everyone involved makes the work incredibly rewarding.
I worked at Covenant House Vancouver (CHV) for a year as a youth worker. I really enjoyed working with the youth but eventually left as it was the most toxic work environment I've ever been employed in. Gossip was rife in the work environment, there was open disrespect between employees within the organization (team leaders vs. youth workers vs. case managers), and policies were inconsistently applied by staff which left homeless youth feeling unsupported. Youth were regularly unfairly discharged from the program for program violations that other youth were allowed to stay in program for. Recently, a few of these youth have died soon after being discharged from the program.

I'm shocked to see positive reviews posted here for CHV and suspect most are generated from the CHV recruitment/HR department. Frontline CHV employees are openly unhappy and there is a high staff attrition rate. Management fails to make any changes to improve work conditions. Consequently, CHV is in a state of constant hiring for youth worker roles.

It blows my mind that CHV is expanding their services to open new buildings when they are operating a flawed program and already struggle to retain staff to support their existing operations. There are some serious problems that Covenant House Vancouver needs to tackle before they can be successful in supporting homeless youth. For now, if you are interested in youth work or other social services roles you will be much better off pursuing employment with other local organizations such as Family Services of Greater Vancouver, Aunt Leah's, or PCRS.
Pros
No shortage of work (high staff attrition means there is always work available)
Cons
Toxic work environment, bureaucracy standing in the way of helping youth
a typical day at work includes checking in with the youth on your case load, making sure they are on plan, developing on going strategies for the youth by consulting with their Case Manager and Counselor.

every day is an opportunity to learn something new from your team members or the youth you are working with,.
A typical day at work included engaging with youth and problem solving with coworkers to best support clients. I learned how to manage case loads and collaborate with multiple social services to provide support for the clientele that access our services. Hardest part of the job would be not having the ability to follow up with clients after our care. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the different personalities that you can work alongside and work with.
This organization is about helping the youths and the homelessness. Seeing all the youths that come into Convenient House brings a different story. Seeing the members of this organization do not judge anyone based on circumstances. A very positive organization to be involved in.
Working in donor services department is somewhat frustrating. Not highly recommended! The manager who doesn’t even look at you or greet you. Very rude supervisor, one coworker who confuses everyone and always misunderstood what’s your saying. The worst place ever. The work itself is easy, however they don’t train and treat people well.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Hours is okay
Shifts are varied between facilitating group activities,
one to one work and general administrative reporting.

Youth enjoy engaging with the staff, and vice versa.

Everyone is respectful and appropriate.
Pros
Free Dinners
Cons
Varied shifts, longer than average work hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Covenant House International. Our community is ready to answer.
Covenant House International Reviews by Location