Covenant Health Canada

Covenant Health Canada Employee Reviews

Canada46 reviews

staffworkingplacetimemanagementgreatgoodjob

fair

I really love and respect every and any kind of job that i do. This job keeping me busy all the time even during my break .Good things when we're busy we notice that time goes really fast at work .

Pros

only 10 minutes break time

Cons

8 hours only

Be prepared to train yourself. No advancement opportunities

A typical day at work is very administrative. I had to learn everything myself and I did not have a lot of support. Management is very hands-off which I like but I would appreciate them to check in on their staff from time to time. It would help morale. Workplace culture is not bad depending on who you interact with but there are obvious cliques and it can be hard to fit in. The hardest part of the job is having no support and no opportunities to grow. The most enjoyable is having the space and flexibility to work how I see fit.

Insights into Covenant Health Canada

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility

Bad management. No support unless you were on day shift.

We had 5 managers in 6 years and we went for time without any management. Every time we got a new manager the riles and expectations changed. The managers never left the office and wouldn't work shift. The management was not helpful or fair

Pros

Some of the staff were good to work with

Cons

Bad managers

Great collaborative team.

Would recommend Covenant to anyone. Good policies and procedure in place. Management frequently checks in. Staff feel supported. Daily tasks are well defined.

Pros

Lunch n learns

Cons

Traditional nursing hours don’t bode well for family life.

Not a great place for your mental health

Salary freeze for the last 8 years, education fund suspended. Top down approach to management. Leaders are in their ivory tower. Little autonomy given

Good company to work for.

Being an employee provides the benefit of being an internal applicant to other job opportunities within covenant health. Their union also helps to ensure that you have a guide towards any company policy you should know about.

Amazing Place to Work

I greatly enjoyed working at St. Joe's. The staff were like family and I grew to love both them and the residents. Working through the first year and a bit of the pandemic in Long-term and Palliative Care was very difficult, but working with such a great team of people made it bearable and even enjoyable. I also worked at the Grey Nuns for a while. My manager and much of the staff there were lovely to work with as well. However, I didn't enjoy the work nearly as much as I did in long-term care...there was very little patient contact, lots of handwritten paperwork that caused me tendonitis, and it was far more monotonous with way less variety of responsibilities. I got bored. The part-time, shift work also didn't work for me and my family, which is ultimately why I quit.

Pros

Pay well

Cons

The benefits weren't as good as my spouse's, not enough full-time permanent positions available

Steady reliable admin work

- salary freeze for many years- ceo is out of touch with realities at frontline- if someone leaves they don't replace them, others absorb the work (unless it is ceo's office)- disengaged work force

Rough

Seems great to start off with but the initial “glamour” wears off quick. There’s like next to no support from management and they just tell you what you want to hear without any follow up. Pay is ok and there’s decent benefits but it doesn’t make up for the stress and burnout you deal with on a daily basis from heavy workloads, working short and some of the extremely difficult situations you deal with.

Pros

Some amazing coworkers, decent benefits

Cons

Favouritism, overworked, understaffed, no support from management.

An Amazing Learning Experience and Fantastic Team

Your experience working in healthcare will vary significantly depending on your area and your colleagues. In labour and delivery at the Grey Nuns it is an amazing team. The work environment in fast-paced and unpredictable and often can be stressful. The team there is generally super collaborative and supportive though. Because of how busy it is and the diversity of patients, it is a steep learning curve when first starting. Current staff can be reserved at times when evaluating your knowledge and willingness to learn. As with any area of healthcare, there can be red tape and bureaucracy stuff. Overall the work is extremely rewarding and the team is like no other. This is one of the best places I have ever worked.

Pros

Strong teamwork Lots of learning opportunities Rewarding work

Cons

Shift work Bureaucracy stuff from management

Good to work there.

I learned a lot about how to handle and manage with clients need help. I learned teamwork,my role and responsibilities, right, confidentiality and good communication between clients and co-workers.

Great employer

I really enjoyed working for covenant Health. Management was great, work was great and I worked with exceptional colleagues! Parking was a little tricky but make it work.

not stressful

i love taking care of old person especially with dementia. i love hearing their story even they keep telling it over and over and i love feeding them.

A trial will convince you ,covenant health is a good place to work at as both the workers and the administrators are welcoming.

However though covenant health is an interesting company to work at,its also challenging to deal with some of the patients especially those that are undergoing mental rehabilitation.Thus a worker at this kind of facility needs to be on the alert at all times to make sure the patients are safe which is a little bit stressful but still worth it.

terrible work environment

been with the company since 2009-2010 every year it gets worse no vacations approved always short staffed old broken equipment management only cares about themselves work load is not attainable violent patients demanding families harassing staff poorly trained staff hiring practices are a joke they always complain there is no money in the budget yet the managers and office staff always have assistants they dont support front line workers food quality is a joke they always cheap out on med supplies and get poor quality or run out of stock all the time its an unsafe work environment in many ways the pay is ok and decent benefits and managers loose your documents never around will not answer calls or emails

My opinion on Covenant Health

Great place to work. Great leadership. I love the fact that they also have a great social committee. I also love the fact that they offer a staff exercise center to stay healthy and active.

Pros

Union Parties

Overall great company

I throughly enjoyed my time with covenant health. Great values and mission statement. They valued work life balance. Great managers! I just wish my seniority would have moved over to AHS.

Great atmosphere

Great company to work for! You have to option of casual to full time employment which make for great work life balance. As with any nursing jobs, there are crazy busy days and slower days.

What is the mission? Do you stand by your values?

This faith-based organization promotes inclusion, but if you don’t fit their mold of a healthcare professional in your department they will find a way to get you to quit or transfer. Stress with no help, or leadership. Not worth the disrespect. You’ll leave this place with mental health issues. If you have a life time of experience and middle aged, start somewhere at the top. But then again rinse, recycle, repeat.

Pros

Public Healthcare

Great job. Management plays favourites

The job was very fast paced, very much enjoyed the position itself. The management however were very unapproachable, player very obvious favorites among staff. It can be very cliquey. Advancement is supposed to be in senority as per the union, but time and time again the managers would play favourites and advance at their discretion not as per policy, making it hard to advance

Toxic Cluture- Stay away at all cost

Racist, narrow mentality management. Completely unethical employment practices. They are completely disengaged from the mission and vision of the corporate and are NOT even trying to be a reflection of the values Covenant Health claims to be following. Stay away from working at this hospital if you want a piece of mind.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Covenant Health Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement