Courtyard by Marriott Management reviews

Found 21 reviews matching the search See all 1,597 reviews
Not the best
Bistro associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 June 2019
I worked as a morning bistro associate which had terrible hours which was understandable (6 am-12) which I would've been fine with if the environment was good. As the youngest and newest employee there, I shouldn't have been the only one showing up on time (manager included). Sometimes I would be by myself for up to half an hour and have to set up a buffet and the bistro by myself with very little training. To boot, a woman around 30 would gossip about how she hated other employees while they were there.
Pros
Free food, tips
Cons
Bad hours, bad management, bad environment
Horrible
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 April 2019
Management was horrible . Promised more hours never got them. Staffing was a huge issue . General manager never cared about staff. Very high turn over
Terrible management, great staff
Bistro Server (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 March 2019
Do not i repeat do not work at this place, they give you little respect and treat you terribly. No sense of organization and over dramatic management.
Upside down world
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON22 February 2019
Job is neither fun nor rewarding. The pay is not great dont get lured by what they say in the interview. Management is the problem all the staff left and who ever takes the job is, short lived. Everyone calls sick you have the pleasure of covering all shifts. It's a 3 person job. In the end you would of made the same money working at the local Tim's and would of been able to balance family life. If you have no life or ambition this job is for you. They will hire anyone because no one wants this roll. 2 weeks and you will be back on indeed.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Too busy to even use the bathroom
Laundry Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 February 2019
Great company.Friendly family atmosphere, very different to anywhere else I've worked. Lots of opportunities to learn new skills and make the role your own, the free lunch is a bonus. Given autonomy as a manager which is good
Trusted but given space to grow and develop
Great people who are always helpful and love to collaborate
Flexible working which helps if you don’t live close to the office
Good lunches
Salary is paid as per market rate which is very fair and also refreshing
Have some great products which have huge potential
The CEO is a great guy and cares about what we …
Coworker Bullying
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON21 January 2019
Constant bullying and harassment from senior housekeepers. High school drama and rumour spreading on a daily basis..Management let it continue without taking appropriate action. Turnover rate was ridiculous...work environment was toxic. Union protects lazy ppl. I have never worked with that many whiners ever. The job itself was great but the workplace bs soured it for me. i only worked full time for 5 months the rest of the time we were laid off except for the lazy senior housekeepers that got all the hours but complained about working so much
Pros
Free lunch, work by yourself
Cons
Laid off more than you work, toxic work environment, drama, questionable management
Very hostile work environment
Bistro Cook (Former Employee) –  St. Jacobs, ON27 November 2018
The job itself was alright, culture was terrible. There was a lot of drama between co-workers in every department, with people actively trying to get others fired/make them look bad. Many of the staff members were overworked and given no appreciation for working well into overtime hours.
Hostile Enviroment
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 August 2018
No leadership in any department. There is no positive enforcement that I was witness to in my time at the hotel. Constant swearing by the Management in the upper roles.
Lack of people resources
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2018
The culture of the organization was what caused me to eventually leave. There was no Human Resources on site, or with the management company above property.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
People resources
Good
Night Audit Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON27 January 2018
Good Place to work. Good opportunity. Work Culture - friendly environment. Management is good. Every day new learning experience. Working night shifts.
Fun Workplace
Housekeeping Supervisor/Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 January 2018
Fun to work, management always helpful, management always communicated with employees. Co-workers are always fun to work with able to learn a lot from each other.
great coworkers, management so so
GUEST SERVICE AGENT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON5 December 2017
great place to work to gain more knowledge about the industry. Gained a lot of useful experience here. Management could be better and there is sometimes workplace drama. Overall good place to gain knowledge if you are passionate about hospitality. Hours are not evenly spread out.
Pros
free meals, coworks, hours, no benefits are part time
Cons
long hours, uniforms, workplace style policy.
not a great company
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 February 2017
A company that provides little or no support to its employees yet demands in excess of his or her contractual obligations.
It is family owned, their management style is non-existent.
They only care about bottom line and neglect efforts of its employees.
A terrible place to work.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Moving from a small hospitality business to a large chain was a very important step in my career.
Assistant Chef (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2017
I did food preparation work basic cooking under the supervision of the Head Chef,rotating through sections such as sauce,vegetables,fish and butchery.
Maintaining high standards of hygiene I prepared the ingredients,measuring dish portions sizes accurately,dealing with deliveries and stock rotation.
To start like a Commis Chef I had the chance to know about my trade,how to do to maintaining high standards for safety& health,hygiene,to use the grill and prepare the best steaks(blue,rare,medium,well-done).
Like Chef de Partie I cooked fine dining,French dishes.I learned to monitoring portions and waste control maintain profit margins.
I developed my cooking skills,I learned to keep a cool head,the ability to delegate appropriately and organisational flair.
I loved to work under a very professional management in a multi-cultural team.
I hard to stay calm and work as a part of team during the frenetic service.As chef of my section I needed to be confident enough to manage the commis chefs working with me and to give them clear instructions.
I had the chance to met nice and professional Head Chefs who inspired me with new recipes,presentations and culinary techniques.
Pros
Free lunch, tips
Good Place to work
Service Expert (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2016
Its one the places to work. Important benefits. Nice clientele. Co-workers mostly Indian. Management miss communication.
excellent customer service experience
Houseman/night cleaner (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON15 January 2016
Not a bad place to work lots to do to make time pass during a shift union has decent benefits management and co workers are a great team pay cold be better
co worker bullying
Housekeeping duties (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON25 August 2015
i was a housekeeper was bullied by older housekeeping staff high turnover rate was not fun to work there management was questionable
Pros
free lunch
Cons
over worked
productive workplace with great service and lots of banqet setups
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 June 2015
The Bistro offers breakfast in the morning and dinner and drinks in the evening inside The Courtyard by Marriott. Breakfast and dinner are very busy and require a lot of attention to detail; Marriott standards must be met and are very specific; from greeting a guest within 15 seconds to correctly pouring and serving a beverage. Providing every guest with exceptional costumer service is the Courtyard's main focus. Meeting and banquet setups also require following very specific guidelines to ensure all clients wishes are met and that events run smoothly and on time; from table placement and electronic needs to catering, serving and cleaning up. I always enjoyed the satisfaction of going above and beyond a guest's needs and having them leave with a smile on their face. My co-workers were all very pleasant and helpful and worked great as a team. Dealing with management could be difficult there always a lot of confusion between new policies and procedures but they always had your best interest in mind and were very accommodating.
Pros
staff meals
Cons
compliance between management and departments
Terrible management
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 August 2013
Very poor management team. Everybody on its own. Under staff and where not provided with the right tools to work with.
Pros
Free hotel nights
Cons
Poor benefits
I felt like going to work at this hotel every time and the employees were great as well as the clients!
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONT11 April 2013
- very friendly and professional environment
- very clean
- management is great, very patient and positive
- as a hostess at the hotel, I received the experience of a hotel/restaurant atmosphere
- by completing all of the online training programs, I learned that the hotel was very serious about customer service
- co-workers were very friendly and helpful
- the most enjoyable part of the job was suffering a 7 am breakfast/brunch on New Year's day with the front desk and restaurant staff -- bitter sweet, seeing that we felt the team effort more than ever
Pros
20% off of restaurant food and discounts on hilton, hampton inn and marriott hotels all over the world
Cons
for me, the distance was the main problem. it was also quite dead on the days that i would work.