Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

Stable and fun
Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 May 2018
I love my coworkers, everyone is so nice! Lots of new faces constantly when they hire seasonals so you get to meet a lot of people. Once you get to know them and have fun, every shift is actually enjoyable. Otherwise the job is very repetitive and can become boring very fast. If you want stability and good benefits, definitely recommned working here. Very flexible for students they only give you 15 hours a week distributed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. However sometimes they give little to no hours during the first 2 and sometimes 3 months of the year when business slows down. Lack of communication between managers and supervisors can be annoying and everyone has a diferent answer. When asking for time off, or if you have any questions make sure you ask more than one person to have a better idea. However it's nice that you don't have to respond to only one supervisor/manager, you can pretty much pick and choose once you get to know them. Most of them are really nice anyway. If you work in a department with lots of employees, like the front end, it's easy to switch shifts and get time off. Easy to move within deprtments too, just look for the postings in the lunch room and apply as soon as you see it. Both timeliness and seniority are taken into account.
When business is slow, sometimes they ask you if you want to go home early but if you need the hours, they let you stay too. When they're really short of people and business is busy they might even ask for overtime. Overtime doesn't happen very often though.
Fun loving environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 May 2018
Costco is a great employer. Everyone gets benefits as soon as they are part-time which is unheard of in most retail jobs. Costco also gives 6 weeks off unpaid to whoever wants to take it during the winter which is great for those who want to travel. This is along with the 2 weeks vacation paid you already get.
Pros
Lots of free food in the break room
Cons
Lots of weekend shifts
Nice and friendly working place.
Marchandiseur (Former Employee) –  St. Jerome, QC7 May 2018
Everyone is very Professional and friendly. It is like a big family and they are so open to all opinions. I highly suggest this job to everyone who wants a job who cares about your personal idea.
Terrible Place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2018
A typical day at work would be come in an hour before closing clean up my work area then after the store closed we would unload the trucks and stock. Management was terrible they would pick favorites and were very rude to pretty much every one. They are always understaffed so work never gets done and the employees take the blame for not working hard enough.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Rude Management, Understaffed
Great placer to work
Night Merchandising/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON6 May 2018
As long as your doing your job its a perfect place. some member can really get on your nerves but that's part and parcel. The pay scale is a little scary at first and it difficult to get in full-time but as long as your committed and apply yourself it will be ok.
Pros
Great pay! top pay scale is 26 dolllars an hour
Cons
some management can be real winners. lol
Summer Student
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB5 May 2018
Excellent place to work as a student.
Great boss
Flexible hours
Great staff and company
Firm but fair management
Learned patience and multi tasking.
has potential to be the best of jobs
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 May 2018
Costco is a great place, they offer many benefits that help support your life, even as a part timer, but unfirtinally i find, unless you some how become the best of buddehs with the top managers or have put in at least 10-20 years of service, respect and freedom are very hard to come by, you are always fighting to keep your head above the water, barely being recognized for your good deeds but always having your failures thrown at you as a reminder not to do it again... i am making it sound like an -happy place, but i do suggest to give it a shot, i have made new friends and have learned great skills i would not have learned other wise... it may be a little difficult, but what job is-int
Pros
great benefits, great guaranteed hours, many different positions to try
Cons
moody managers, very fast pace, dealing with people
Fun but very fast pace environment
Cashier and Customer Service, PREUC (Former Employee) –  Saint-Hubert, QC3 May 2018
I liked working at Costco, but it was very demanding and required a fast pace work ethic. However they have great benefits if you are looking to work part-time or full-time, but no benefits for students...
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Very demanding work
Good workplace, not very flexible
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB3 May 2018
It was a decent enough job, work was good but repetitive. Management was mediocre at best, really high expectations, not much guidance.
Was frequently understaffed, and the job was very inflexible for a part time job.
productive and good atmosphere
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 May 2018
I am glad to work with costco, positive attitude, helpful, busy and more fun as well as great and engaging and educate the members helping them to find their products.
Pros
Free Lunches, Stat and Vacation Pay
Cons
Short Hours
very poor management
Electronic Sales (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 May 2018
Great job but definitely not a good career!

provides a great chance to step up and show yourself and a very competent individual giving yourself lots of freedom that the average job does not. However on the front end managers tend to micro-manage frequently!

This job is 100% dictated by who likes you and what managers you are friends with! The right person for the job will never GET the job. That being said there are some locations that I heard are great. I worked at 3 separate locations and they were all the same, but that's just my view-point.
Pros
Extremely-Friendly
Cons
bad hours always all over the place, work every weekend, holidays are expected to be worked, very little time for social life
fun place to work very cooperative
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB2 May 2018
friendly staff and fast pace environment .I liked working at Costco ,
very understanding , good training sessions . safety courses provided to staff .
Wasn't for me
Product Demonstrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON1 May 2018
Personally the management style and environment wasn't my fortay. Working in this position is not recommended to anyone with a food allergy or sensitive smell.
Pros
snacks on break
Cons
standing on feet for hours, odors
Productive workplace with friendly Co-workers.
Part Time Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON30 April 2018
Management is great
Learned about advertising sale products and merchandising it at the right location in the warehouse(Attract customers)

I would attend work for 5am and get the store ready before it opens. Stack products on a pallet to meet store standards, Move sale products to locations in the store that would grab customers attention, Clean working area, Bale the Cardboard box baler, help customers find products and also help customers load heavy items in their vehicle .
pretty fun
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON28 April 2018
It was a fun job that required a lot of hard work but as the day went on it got easier. In the morning you would come in early, rush around for three hours getting as much done as possible, then have a 15 minute break. around that time was when i would notice there would be less work to complete and as long as you dont have a problem carrying boxes of up to 50lbs then you should have no trouble with this job. the only cons i have to add is that the management was horrendous and they dont care about anyone who hasn't already been there for 5 years.
Pros
free christmas turkey, employee benefits, fun work enviroment
Cons
horrendous management
Productive, Great team work
Cashier. Stocker. Food Sampler, Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB26 April 2018
I loved working with customers, I enjoyed working with a wonderful team. I had to leave because of school but loved going to work. I learned being patient and as helpful with customers as possible. I was generally very great with customers.
Pros
Benefits, Great coworkers
Cons
Running out of boxes for customers, and a set amount of hours
Overall a very rewarding work experience
Night Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 April 2018
During my employment at Costco Wholesale, I found that my coworkers were very dependable and easy to get along with. The management team was always willing and able to assist in tasks that required more than one person. They were also generally friendly, and if one were to put in 110% every day, the individual would be rewarded accordingly. Overall this was quite a lovely work experience, and I honestly would not mind working for this company again in the future.
Pros
Lots of opportunity for advancement, affordable wages
Cons
Indoors
Great Place to work
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 April 2018
Fast Paced Environment. Busy from start to finish
Management Fair and gave clear instructions of Expectations
Job more Physical than you'd expect but gave a good challenge
Although at time there were time constraints, being employed by Costco was a very new experience.
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 April 2018
My coworkers were kind and thoughtful were quick to assist you if you had any problems or you requested assistance, it was a very likeable and pleasurable environment .
Pros
It was a friendly environment .
Cons
Lack of workers
Great, friendly workplace
Meat Wrapper (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC24 April 2018
Costco is a great environment to work in, very spacious, hours are flexible and the pay rate is great, they offer a pension plan, benefits after 4 months, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people I get a long with very well, the training process was very easy so I had no issue learning brand new things at this work place.
Pros
Hourly wages, Flexible hours, great communication with co-workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2