Costco Wholesale Employee Review

View all Costco Wholesale reviews

Not happy
Produce Stocker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 February 2018
I am speaking the Regent Ave, in Winnipeg only, I hear the other location is quite different in its mgt.

Of course actual job in practice totally goes against the safety training given in orientation. If a dept head or manager is asked whether someone should lift 50 pounds far above shoulder level, the will say not to. Dare you have another question or problem, you are identified as a problem, and are generally avoided or evaded to a degree....just keeping it real folks.

No talking allowed for morning staff (4 am till opening). The management can't actually tell you not to talk at all, but they will tell you 'if you want hours, you need to be visibly putting in 150% which means, don't be seen talking.' I am not talking about standing around, talking and not working hard.... I mean, literally NO talking. If you caught talking by a supervisor, your yelled at from a distance to 'move it' or 'let's go.' I actually had no problem with this. What I did take issue with was the inequity of 'old-timey staff protecting their own self-interests (extra privileges).

Despite the great, thorough orientation the Costco organization gives, the Regen the management ( 3 store managers, warehouse managers, two-tiered dept. manager, senior staff acting as unofficial supervising roles to new hires) all exist in a work culture as if they are working in a union setting despite Costco not being unionized.

That is to say, as a new hire, you will be expected to work hard, lift heavy as fast as you can with no visible stopping or talking (if your a typical stockperson - excluding
  more... the cushier jobs in clothing or a cashier assistant).

On the contrary, you will constantly see senior staff (outlined above) chatting, laughing at lengths ( I once timed a chat to 17 minutes!) and often times hard to find (smoking in their cars). In other words, the managers do not lead by example, yet talk in strict fashion. There are senior staff members, not all, who are WELL-known to never hustle or work hard in comparison to most others, and yet they are somehow untouchable. I had seen many managers walk right past these staff members or even be engaged in chatting about non-work topics, only tell junior staff to 'move it.' The harder management can make newer staff work, the more they carry on with their priviledged status quo. If it sounds disheartening, it is because it is.
Pros
mostly nice coworkers
Cons
no talking allowed, even before store opens, dept management lets you know they have weight on you, you are rewarded by getting a hour or two extra of work, week to week basis

Other Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

work habits
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 August 2018
great place to work , great people very passionate about their jobs. lots of opportunity to advance. no uniform treats employees like family. would recommend
worked a term position
Cashier Assistant (Former Employee) –  MB11 August 2018
Costco runs like clockwork. The store I worked at was very well organized and trained employees very well! They also do an amazing job promoting their own employees.
Pros
well organized, they promote internaly, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
hard to get a full time position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2