Costco Wholesale Employee Review

View all Costco Wholesale reviews

Not happy
Produce Stocker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 February 2018
I am speaking the Regent Ave, in Winnipeg only, I hear the other location is quite different in its mgt.

Of course actual job in practice totally goes against the safety training given in orientation. If a dept head or manager is asked whether someone should lift 50 pounds far above shoulder level, the will say not to. Dare you have another question or problem, you are identified as a problem, and are generally avoided or evaded to a degree....just keeping it real folks.

No talking allowed for morning staff (4 am till opening). The management can't actually tell you not to talk at all, but they will tell you 'if you want hours, you need to be visibly putting in 150% which means, don't be seen talking.' I am not talking about standing around, talking and not working hard.... I mean, literally NO talking. If you caught talking by a supervisor, your yelled at from a distance to 'move it' or 'let's go.' I actually had no problem with this. What I did take issue with was the inequity of 'old-timey staff protecting their own self-interests (extra privileges).

Despite the great, thorough orientation the Costco organization gives, the Regen the management ( 3 store managers, warehouse managers, two-tiered dept. manager, senior staff acting as unofficial supervising roles to new hires) all exist in a work culture as if they are working in a union setting despite Costco not being unionized.

That is to say, as a new hire, you will be expected to work hard, lift heavy as fast as you can with no visible stopping or talking (if your a typical stockperson - excluding
  more... the cushier jobs in clothing or a cashier assistant).

On the contrary, you will constantly see senior staff (outlined above) chatting, laughing at lengths ( I once timed a chat to 17 minutes!) and often times hard to find (smoking in their cars). In other words, the managers do not lead by example, yet talk in strict fashion. There are senior staff members, not all, who are WELL-known to never hustle or work hard in comparison to most others, and yet they are somehow untouchable. I had seen many managers walk right past these staff members or even be engaged in chatting about non-work topics, only tell junior staff to 'move it.' The harder management can make newer staff work, the more they carry on with their priviledged status quo. If it sounds disheartening, it is because it is.
Pros
mostly nice coworkers
Cons
no talking allowed, even before store opens, dept management lets you know they have weight on you, you are rewarded by getting a hour or two extra of work, week to week basis

Other Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

A fun loving environment. Feels a part of a big family.
Front-End Management (permanent) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 May 2018
I gained more confidence and learned a lot. The hardest part is when you are asked to pack and you have to lift heavy items because they don't allow even big items to be left in the cart.
Pros
Executive card
Cons
Not enough hours given because of favouritism
environnement de travail agreable
Montréal, QC (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 May 2018
• Travailler avec le logiciel LabXpert et Ubik dans l’environnement pharmaceutique
• Compléter des prescriptions de patients à travers des tâches organisées
• Donner un service professionnel aux clients avec une connaissance avancée du domaine pharmaceutique
• Maximiser la productivité et la satisfaction des clients à travers un travail efficace autonome ou en équipe
• Gérer les bases de données du système pour garder les dossiers organisés et structurés
• Promouvoir les services de la pharmacie et ses promotions à tous ses clients
• Établir des relations amicales et de confiance avec les clients pour s’assurer de leur loyauté et de leur satisfaction

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2