Costco Wholesale Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 503 reviews matching the search See all 8,568 reviews
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Part time) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2019
Most enjoyable, meeting people, assisting them with their questions or needs, management is good, understanding, and helpful.

Typical day starts at 2:00 pm. and ends at 10:30pm.Other shifts are available but this works best for me. There is flexibility for work hours which is great.
Pros
steady employment, fairly good pay with raises every 6 mos.
Cons
sometimes require more staff as it can get very busy with customers
great place to start
Receiver and Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Langford, BC22 March 2019
Great management and leadership, great staff that are willing to teach and work with you, and lots of room to grow. Costco has different shifts for your lifestyle and has great benefits and wages.
Pros
management and staff are great
Cons
starts off minimum wage for 4 am shifts
Excellent people
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC22 March 2019
The job itself is fast paced and a fun environment. All the long timers are very very nice and help you out wherever you need it. The trouble is time off. They aren’t willing to give you any weekends off, so if you need a weekend off try to switch it yourself or as the long timers say.... call in sick.
The wage is just above minimum so don’t think you go in there and get paid big bucks....
Pros
Great people
Cons
Pay is ok
respectful worksplace wih room for advancement
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  prince george, bc21 March 2019
The 12 years I worked there, I can only say they helped me a lot in life and has been the best company I have worked for or heard of so far. The follow rules and the law very closely. You will always get your breaks, and be asked to work overtime.
Pros
Employee free lunch
Cons
Alot of employees
Awesome pay but extremely physically intensive work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2019
I loved Costco I was making way more than my peers in other companies and met many amazing people, the downside is for sure the heavy lifting plus hours spent on your feet. My body really took a toll and I could no longer continue after a none work related accident. I would recommend it if you love interacting with people and do not mind the physical labour.
Pros
compensation, co-workers and mangers
Cons
labour intensive, long hours
Steady
Merchandising Stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2019
Steady job, good benefits, Kind co-worker, It was my first job in Canada and it was so convenient for me. I am grateful for this opportunity and the treatment I received
About Costco
Front End Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2019
Costco Wholesale is a fast paced environment but has great employees and it is overall a great place to work. Managers take the employees requests into consideration and are great at accommodating with others.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Too busy and very long hours
Pretty Good Place to Work, Great Atmosphere
FOOD COURT STAFF & BAKER (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB12 March 2019
Good place to work if you plan on making a career out of it, otherwise it's hard to move up. Raises and advances pretty much depend solely on seniority and don't take skill or ability into account. As nice as it is to know your loyalty will be appreciated, it's unfortunate that hard work and quality performance isn't valued as much as simply staying with the company for a longer time.
Great Company
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 March 2019
Met many life time friends here. Great company benefits along with amazing training opportunities depending on the department you work in. Overall a very well run Company.
good structure
Morning Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 March 2019
Costco is a great place for anyone who wants a stable life and knows what they can receive out of this job. Employees are treated well but sometimes getting into management can be a little stressful because it can be a long an on going process that might not even see you get the results you wanted, even if you put the work in for that position. Another complaint I have is that you're just a number in this giant company, just like any other massive company. They do treat employees very well with pay and benefits.
Pros
good structure
Cons
they expect costco to be your life

Want to know more about Costco Wholesale?

Ask a question
Un plesant work environment, hostile management, low base wage with a long long time required before much advancement. No respect for new employees
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Langford, BC25 February 2019
Consistantly busy, incredibly un pleasant management, no flexibility in scheduling, low base wage. If you put in a number of years your pay becomes quite good, and the benefits are good, but the actual work environment is incredibly toxic.
Pros
free membership
Cons
no scheduling flexibility
Horrible Management , good pay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB25 February 2019
There needs to be more upper management watching our managers. There is a manager who is inappropriate with female staff and customers, if you try to talk to him about an actual work issue, he just yells at you. He needs to be supervised better because this type of behaviour ruins the workplace for everyone. Anything goes at Costco, but the pay is good. I will say I have noticed everybody gains weight after working at Costco for a long time, there’s so much bad food to buy and the only food to buy on break is fast food.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Anything goes
Freezer Department.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  BC25 February 2019
Coming from Canada, Costco’s pay sucks. $13/hr. Minimum wage is $12.65. That’s horrible, I can work at a restaurant with half the physical labour and earn more in tips. I was a Parttime/Fulltime, kind of confusing but I worked 40+ Hour weeks and was just considered part time. I was in freezer department which is notorious for being the worst position. Most people will get there at 2:30-10:30 with most managers asking you to stay till midnight. I get it a freezer is supposed to be cold but every week we had to spend up to an hour in each freezer to clean up the ice, and debris. We also 3 freezers. They don’t have gloves either, which is weird because the refrigerator staff did... but just imagine spending 3 hours in a freezer with no gloves at -30*. This is redicoulous, they also expect a pallet of 1000-2000 pounds of food to be completed/stocked and on to the next pallet in 5 minutes(some pallets can even get as heavy as 3500-4500 pounds if it’s a “miscellaneous” mix match of different products. That’s absurd. Mind you, you can go through 15-30 pallets in a shift. The only reason benefits are good is because once your 3 month probabtion is up, you’ll have some sort of back, knee or wrist issues. I hated working here simply because you have NO social life. The days you do usually get off are Tuesday/Wednesday or Wednesday/Thursday. If you want different days, might have to wait a few years. Want different hours? Might have to wait 20 years(according to coworkers). I had coworkers working night shifts(what you’ll most likely get) for 8-10 years still waiting to get put up to day  more... shifts(6:30am-2:30). If you want time off or to swap shifts, your department manager will frown apon you. My life was pretty much going down the drain working there, I had no social life, no more friends aside my coworkers, the only thing good was the holiday pay which was usually $40+/hr depending on your hours worked the past month. I will say the plus side of things were, the general managers were SUPER friendly, and coworkers were awesome, super friendly, super fun to hang out with. Just like secondary school, I miss my friends there, but hated showing up. I can’t hate too much, experience is experience  less
Pros
Food court, let’s be honest here. Friendly coworkers & managers.
Cons
No social life. Terrible hours. Terrible pay. Unbearable conditions.
Decent workplace
Front End Cashier/Packer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 February 2019
Costco does not allow you to chosose the hours you are available, you MUST be available to work at all times, including weekends. This makes it a pain to schedule anything else around it because the work hours are so strange. Customers are usually nice, but when it it busy, can be extremely grumpy. Management is understanding if you are an older employee, but students get the short end of the stick.
Pros
$4 premium on sunday
Cons
Strange hours
Good
Baker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2019
The place is alright, has good pay and benefits. The job is tiring and demanding and didn't work with my schedule. The people there were very friendly.
jobs ok
Membership/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON16 February 2019
great place long hours hard to get a day off. i was happy to be there people are great. just cant work two jobs at once. was hoping for more flexibility
Pros
great pay
Cons
Fantastic place to work with wonderful people.
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 February 2019
It was an amazing place to work, where effort is noticed and willingness to complete tasks is valued. The group became a second family and I loved spending my time there, both on and off the clock. I will gladly work for the company again.
Pros
Benefits at part time.
Cons
Scheduling can be difficult to book around.
fun exciting place to work with great staff and teriffic benifits
BAKER (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB13 February 2019
had great time there. wonderful people to work with and pleasant managers. very welcoming environment to be part of. the benefits are probably the best part of working there though.
Pros
benifits
Cons
constantly standing
Great group of people
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 February 2019
A good place to work and the pay scale was even better. The best day was at the start of the shift. The hardest was working during inventory. When you become a Costco veteran you are in a class of your own 25 year club.
Pros
demos, food, pay, atmosphere
Cons
inventory
Full of stress and Horrible Managment
Front End/Merch (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON10 February 2019
Worked at Peterborough Costco for a while as Merchandise/Front End a while back ago before I was freed.
People are nice there and wage/benefits are good. But Managment is the real joke here.
Front end Managers are usually running around like chickens with their heads cut off though and there is too much bullying/drama. To try and move up in Costco you need seniority or kissing butt through the roof. Also they are understaffed as the one who runs the building wants best building award so people have to work like there is three of them.
The worst part is the merchandising.Theres one manager who constantly harasses you,even if you’re the best worker imaginable. He will ride your butt until you break. It’s so bad that if he sees you take a free breath he will run over to you to harass.He’s also creepy and confrontational. Worst manager I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing.
Pros
Benefits, Wages
Cons
Managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2