Costco Wholesale logo

Work-life balance
Job security & advancement

Found 559 reviews matching the searchSee all 12,673 reviews

Work place

Very diverse work..lots of different backgrounds ....salary is good...different departments so lots of growth opportunities. They have good benefits as well...

Pros

Free Membership for employees

Cons

Hours

Excellente entreprise mais environnement désagréable.

J'ai été embauché en tant que placeur (saisonnier étudiant). Au début, j'ai été impressionné par la bonne allure de l'entreprise. J'ai été jumelé avec un formateur d'expérience durant les premiers jours et j'ai par la suite été bousculé de gauche à droite avec plusieurs personnes qui m'apprenaient des façons différentes de procéder et même avec des personnes qui ne me disaient rien. Après les deux premières semaines, mon supérieur m'a dit que je devais accélérer la cadence, sans tenir compte du fait que l'on ne m'avait pas expliqué les bases comme il se doit. Durant mon évaluation, ils m'ont fait part de plusieurs aspects à améliorer qui ne m'ont jamais été dits pendant les quarts de travail et que, donc, je reproduisais constamment. Ceci dit, l'entreprise est géniale, mais le département du marchandisage est plutôt désorganisé et il y a un très grand roulement de personnel. Le travail est physique, dur pour le corps et demande de se lever très tôt, mais le salaire est cependant le même pour les emballeurs ou les préposés à la crème glacée, par exemple.

Pros

Bon salaire avec expérience, bonne culture d'entreprise

Cons

Heure de début très tôt, environnement très stressant, département mal organisé.

Excellent place to work and grow

Work environment is awesome. Tons of room for advancement. The team has great drive and ambition that is shared among team members. Great place to work.

Worst job ever

The rumors of costco's benefits should be over. They might be good in the past but not now. They claimed they're warehouse but they only pay $15 (minimum wage is 14.75 at that time). You can get a raise for working every 1000 hrs sth but it barely can be done. They can lay you off for no reason. When they busy again, they might call you. Hours are not enough and you can't live with that wage. Like other benefits, it's only for full-time. I knew many guys work their aXXes off with many years are still part-time. If you wanna stay there, you have to kiss your manager's asss or they can make your report look really bad even make sth is not true. They schedule you till 10 pm that day and ask you to come at 5 am for tomorrow. They don't treat you like a person.

Pros

Getting covid in crowd

Cons

One and half pay on Sunday

Poisonous Work Atmosphere

Night Merch/ForkLift Operator (531) - Costco is known for being a great place to work, what they fail to mention is how terrible it is starting out. Your are surrounded by senior staff members who make in some cases double the same amount of money you are for the same amount of work. In most cases their senior staff members feel invincible and slack off the majority of the time making it even more infuriating. This in turn creates a lot of staff turnover which forces management to hire young staff members to keep up, but because the majority of people are between 18-24 it feels like high school all over again. People only help their "friends" but then when they fall behind you will be expected to stay and help them. As for management themselves, you will either love them or hate them from my experience. Random managers showing up from other warehouses try and assert dominance gets old extremely fast. Overall, unless you plan on working here for the rest of your life, don't bother working here at all. I didn't even mention how entitled and arrogant the "members" are, and good luck trying working any weekend shift, place is slammed and always understaffed.

Pros

advancement, pay based on seniority

Cons

pay based on seniority, no incentive for hard work, understaffed, extremely busy, poor management, arrogant customers, low moral

Costco

Benefits are great.Scheduling is bad, short staff on busy daysAdvancement is slow because of señiority.Salary is low, you have to reach number of hours to get an increase.Co workers are great.Some of the managers are great, others aren't.

Busy and fun workplace.

Very good benefits. Excellent job security.Good management.Friendly workers.Paid vacation and sick leave.3-5 years to get full time.Everything works on seniority.

No one cares

Job isn't bad if a culture of everyone pull together existed but the highest paid tend to do the least amount of work and seniority is key. If you start as a teenager it probably is a great opportunity and I can understand how people will defend the company ethos from that perspective. I am a pretty open and hard working individual and striving to have balance in this but in my experience the hard work will take years and years to pay off so would only recommend to someone young or in a stable situation financially looking for a second income to a household. I know decent hardworking people who have worked years there and are still part time, which should really indicate to you the priorities and balance of the employer/employee relationship.

Pros

Some good people and free memebership

Cons

Part time status infinitely looms

Best Job Ever

Hands down Favourite job I’ve ever had. really wish it was easier to get hired on full time. No wonder no one wants to leave. would work there forever

Costco Car Rental

Costco is great, but it all depends on who is the supervisor. If the supervisor is a people person, he will make your life and customer great. In any company, it is the supervisor's job to make sure the employees are happy so that the customer will receive the same.

Pros

You can do over time by choice.

Cons

Cannot think on any

Jobs at Costco Wholesale

See more jobs

Work Environment

An overall positive introduction to the retail and hospitality industry and you have a lot of opportunities to grow through their programs and departments.

Pros

Free membership

Cons

Management cares more about hitting quotas than caring about employees

Great coworkers but horrible management

I really loved working for Costco at the beginning, but there was a lot of misinformation upon being hired about my benefits, i was hired as a temp and told would become permanent after 90 days, that did not happen, I worked 4 months and still was seasonal. Same with getting my executive Costco card, was suppose to get it after 90 days and becoming permanent but that did not happen. Thanksgiving all permanent workers received a free Turkey but seasonal did not which were many of us. On top of that took 3 months and a half to finally train me for my job on registers which was ridiculous, i constantly asked for 3 months to get trained. Cashiers and stockers were amazing to work with but some managers were just soo disorganized and did not communicate with associates or managers well. Ontario went on to lockdown in December and within that same week they laid off 50-60 seasonal associates with hardly any notice, they even forgot to tell me that the next day was my last day. So overall this is a good job temporary but would not recommend for forever.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Horrible management

Environnement de travail stressant

Écoute sporadique des gérants , procédures contradictoires , horaires modifiées à la dernière minute , grande équipe, bonne assurance , stationnement éloigné, grande distance à parcourir lors des pauses , coopération moyenne de la part de la direction travaille/ famille ....

Pros

Carte de membre fournie

Cons

Courtes pauses

Enjoyable work environment

Able to acquire new skillsGreat staff to work withExpectations clearly definedSupport from superiors and other staff very goodSuperiors were very approachable

Pros

ability to meet and talk with many different people

Cons

only option for work is seasonal - would like more job security.

Job Stability

Even through COVID, we never closed. Very physically demanding, must be able to stand long hours. Ability to move up however you MUST put in your hours. You’re not gonna be a manager overnight. Pay raises are based off of how many you hours you work, sucks when you start working but only gets better as you go along. If bored in one department, able to transfer departments.

Pros

Most managers work with your life schedule

Cons

Physical Labour, Concrete Floors

Love my co-workers

Very repetitive, front end staff are great, mangers are awful, high expectations of front end staff. They need to practice what they preach, ie: follow the rules that they expect of the other staff to follow. Lack of communication. General manager yells at staff in front of members. Lack of support, breaks are late, unorganized, Mangers do nothing, they expect the supervisors to do it all, if something goes wrong u are to blame, not the member. Don't follow seniority rules, no room for advancement, Latest manager hired is so unorganized, she needs to go back to her old department.

Pros

Free membership for family

Cons

Mangers

Busy pharmacy but fun with good team work

My experience at Costco was pleasant and informative. I met great people with i still get in touch and I learned important skill which I am using in my daily practice.

Pros

good team work, good salary, good benefits, good work/life balance, good breaks

Cons

False promises of permanent position

They work you to the bone, saying that to "stand out" and get a permanent position, you need to prove yourself. So you say yes to everything and work many hours (while you're "cheap" to the company) in whatever position they put you in ("don't worry about sales goals, today we need you here"). At the end of your contract, they will spit you out, because you didnt sell enough memberships and because they have no openings and it's really hard to become full-time - when in reality they will need people but will just hire new seasonals.

Cons

cut-throat environment, overly competitive collegues - most of all don't even bother getting to know seasonals

Great place

Great place to work! Would still be working there if my schedule didn’t conflict with my husbands. Aside from some gossip with a lot of the ladies, it was enjoyable for the most part. Certain cliques got fast tracked to supervisor/ manager when it wasn’t earned.

Pros

Raises based on hours worked. Pretty flexible with hours.

Cons

Sometimes you get beat out for posted based on seniority, not necessarily experience.

Inbound Call Center

Have been working for Costco.ca for awhile now, very much enjoy working for the company. They take good care of us and some sups and management do care about you as a person not as an employee. Yes, agree there are a lot of apps to learn, need to keep up to date on the ongoing promotions offered, that's all part of the job. Since COVID-19 came to Canada in March 2020 Costco has taken all the necessary safety measures and government guidelines and have kept us safe through the entire pandemic. Never worked in the warehouses, would like to thank them for all their hard work they do each and everyday for the members. THANK YOU!

Pros

Salary and Benefits

Cons

n/a

Ont en parle en bien mais soyer les premier arriver dans un Coscto car aucune posibiliter d'avancement.

Les employer s'assoit sur leur ancienneté. Pour les temps partiel ont dirait qu'il en veulent pas Si ça fait 5 ans que tu travail a 8 hres par senaine ou un partiel qui en travail 35 tu ne pourra jamais rattraper personne.. comment voulez vous être motiver

Pros

Augmention rapide du salaire apres les 2 premiere annes annee

Cons

Beaucoup

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

6K