Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews for Merchandiser

Found 117 reviews matching the search See all 8,088 reviews
I loved working for Costco but....
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2019
Refused to deal with staff bully who was a rampant terror to every staff member in multiple departments in direct violation of Costco's own anti-bullying policies and Human Rights Legislation. I will not go back to Costco because of this one employee and the daily convicts they created. I am very disappointed in Costco for this failure.
Pros
Hard physical labour, great for getting physically fit.
Cons
Failure to follow their own anti-bullying policies and Human Rights Legislation
it was ok
Night Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB7 January 2019
lifted heavy objects, learned responsibility by working by my self, management was ok, not the best but nowhere has great management. The workplace culture was pretty relaxed as the job was not complex at all, but people who worked there tend to complain about how "hard" the job was. The hardest part of the job was the amount of physical labor and having to deal with customers that just like to get in the way. the most enjoyable part of the job was when the store was closed and there were no customers so you could get the work done fast and efficiently.
Good environment to work in
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON31 December 2018
Costco was a good company to work in with advancement opportunities, my day to day task was merchandising. Managers were friendly and helpful. Can talk to anyone about any concerns
Great people and great management
Night Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 December 2018
I learned to work in an extremely fast paced environment. Making sure that deadlines are met and done correctly. Overall fun job because you are constantly challenging yourself.
good environment
food court lead and merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2018
a typical day ..replenishing supplies on shelves. alot of heavy lifting, restocking supplies , from clothing to deli to produce,,use of a pallet jack ... i learnt alot about safety in a warehouse environment.. the rules of 1st in 1st out applies to all product,, and how to be responsible for my own department .. the hardest part of my work was the heavy lifting and the most enjoyable part was seeing the end result of all the hard work ,it makes one feel good to see what you can achieve.
Pros
trust from the management
Cons
not enough employees on week-ends
Extremely fast-paced environment
merchandising (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 November 2018
Extremely fast-paced environment that required an extremely high level of maintenance. Very physically intensive job with high demand for productivity.
benefits
Cons
physically and mentally demanding
Costco, overall, is a great company to work for and does offer opportunity for advancement
Night Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC12 November 2018
Making sure our members are taken care of is the most important part of our daily job. We need to make sure product is available and easily accessible to our members. The work environment is quite enjoyable, very much like a family away from home. I'd say that is my most enjoyable part of the job. It makes it feel less like work. There is always something to do, and when it is busy we are required to prioritize order of importance for making our product on the sales floor accessible and tidy. Sometimes this can be hard because you are pulled in different directions, so learning to do one thing at a time is important, but can be hard to follow.
Overrated
Stocker - Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON24 September 2018
The staff you worked with were good . Management was looking to save money, by asking people to leave early before their shift ended due to the fact costco did not meet sales quota for the day
Great for longterm stability
Service and Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Marché Central - Montréal, QC20 August 2018
This is an environment for someone who is looking for longterm stability. In the first year you need to be prepared to sacrifice time and money to get the seniority necessary to have a good schedule and pay rate. The work is simple but above average standards and effort is required in a fast paced high pressure environment.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Scheduling flexibility isn't great
Hard Work, Good Employer
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 July 2018
Not a bad place to work if you get a job in the right department. Morning Merchandising was difficult with the requirement to start your day at 3am. Hard to get the easy jobs that everyone wants like standing at the door looking at receipts.
great company
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON15 July 2018
Organized,
good benefits, good management,
competitive wages
lots of perks with discounts and free membership
good work environment, i enjoyed my time here
Fun place to work with good co-workers
Night Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 July 2018
I worked as night merch. Typically spent the afternoon cleaning up/stocking and the evening driving forklifts. I had great co-workers who I still talk to 3 years later and a good management team.
Somewhat decent place to work
Night Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 July 2018
Great place to work if you have been there for 20+ years. Management is constantly changing, they often play favorites and it can be difficult to advance. Can be a fun workplace, but they often change the rules depending on the warehouse manager.
Family oriented
Night Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC8 July 2018
Everyone was very welcoming at first but then quickly stop talking to you except for a few. I ended up feeling like I was being pushed out and it didn't make me feel very good.
Toxic Workplace
Sales & Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON22 June 2018
Customer service. Poorly operated. Poor treatment. Inequal distribution of work. Preferential treatment. Eventually good hourly wages after many years worked. Good benefits.
Pros
wages, benefits
Cons
hours, staff
Great work environment, rroom for growth
Morning Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2018
This is a great company to work for. They treat their employees very well. Room to grow and learn in your area as well as advancements and transfers around the world. Opportunity to meet and interact with people from customers, coworkers and management.
Pros
Benefits, membership, room for growth
Cons
early shift
Great
Merchandiser/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC6 June 2018
Great place to work and i highly recommend. Good benefits, salaries, and friendly employees. However it can get quite busy and stressful when customers are unpleasant to deal with
Not what it used to be
Night Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2018
I have worked for Costco for 12 years as an hourly and manager. Lots of opportunity for someone willing to put the company ahead of their family. The job security is amazing, top benefits and wages as well. To advance you really have to tow the company line, they do not want innovators or free thinkers. The company has lost its family feel with the new CEO. A lot of the long term staff and managers are losing their dedication to the company. I can't say a ton of bad about the company it definitely has its good points just not right for someone that wants a strong family life.
Pros
Job Security and advancement
Cons
poor balance of work and home life
Terrible Place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2018
A typical day at work would be come in an hour before closing clean up my work area then after the store closed we would unload the trucks and stock. Management was terrible they would pick favorites and were very rude to pretty much every one. They are always understaffed so work never gets done and the employees take the blame for not working hard enough.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Rude Management, Understaffed
has potential to be the best of jobs
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 May 2018
Costco is a great place, they offer many benefits that help support your life, even as a part timer, but unfirtinally i find, unless you some how become the best of buddehs with the top managers or have put in at least 10-20 years of service, respect and freedom are very hard to come by, you are always fighting to keep your head above the water, barely being recognized for your good deeds but always having your failures thrown at you as a reminder not to do it again... i am making it sound like an -happy place, but i do suggest to give it a shot, i have made new friends and have learned great skills i would not have learned other wise... it may be a little difficult, but what job is-int
Pros
great benefits, great guaranteed hours, many different positions to try
Cons
moody managers, very fast pace, dealing with people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2