Costco Wholesale
Happiness score is 70 out of 100

Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews for Merchandiser

Hands down Favourite job I’ve ever had. really wish it was easier to get hired on full time. No wonder no one wants to leave. would work there forever
My experience at Costco wasn’t the best. I did meet some nice people but I also met people that were not kind who had seniority and territorial and not very helpful. I’ve been injured three times within the two years I worked there. I’ve switched many departments and you have to be really strong and always fast so it was stressful. I had some good managers and some not so good managers who were unprofessional and yell at your misunderstandings. So I have mixed feelings on the place.
Pros
Benefits, guaranteed hours, paid vacation
Cons
Unfriendly work environment, lack of training
I had a terrific time working there just didn’t get paid enough for my life ! Would highly recommend to anyone wanting to work there it’s a great place to build relationships and be part of a great team, and if you have the time to build up can be wonderful!
Pros
So many!
Cons
Pay at least when I was employed but other then that terrific !
Overall I believe I had a positive experience at Costco. I worked as a part-time night merchandiser. I left because my hours were getting too much and I was heading into my final year of university, which meant, I did not have the necessary extra time to be working late on some weekdays and almost every weekend. My hours usually went from 6 pm-11 pm. Because I was a merchandiser, we would stock and clean everything at night after the store closed. The co-workers were all great. It is a team environment as you usually get grouped up with other people in specific areas, but very fast-paced as well, especially during the holidays. You have to be on top of everything with deadlines and making sure everything is stocked by a certain time. I did feel some managers did not care about employees at all. It is a labour job, so there was a lot of "ordering people around". There were a few managers who were very good though. Overall if you think it sounds like something you would enjoy, I would recommend 9especially as part-time). After working there for a year, I learnt that It wasn't something I wanted to do any longer and the 1-year experience was enough for me. The pay is good, especially when working on holidays, but you do get called in a lot when other employees can't make it to work, or it is a particularly busy day/night.
Pros
collaberative, work freedom, co-workers
Cons
Late shifts, Repetativeness, Some Managers
Soon as you show up for work in the morning, you hang around your fellow coworkers for around 10 minutes or so.. do what you need to do before your shift. when its time, you punch in, grab a buggy, a pellet jack and shrink wrap and go to your assigned department and you basically move as efficiently as possible stocking up whatever needs to be stocked up. Shrink wrap whatever is leftover and forklift drivers to put it away while you work on restocking other products. Once everything is done in one isle, move on to the next isle. If you can restock 7 isles within 2 hours or less, it is considered really good. all pellets are to be aligned. 1 hour prior to opening the doors to members, clean up will commence. Everybody work together as a team to get the wearhouse open for members to shop. After that, break time. break time is only 30 minutes like every other places. Even if you go pass the 30 minute mark by 1 second, itll get recorded onto your review at then end of the 3 month period when its time for a review. Learned how to use a pellet jack for the first time ever. It was confusing at first but after using it a few times, youll get the hang of it. Managements were nice for the most part. At times, it could be fustrating when two managers tell you to do 2 different things at once.
The continues monitoring by the managers creates a very stressful workplace that I did not enjoy. You are always pushed to do things faster. It is also a pain to deal with bad costumers.
It was great working there. Management was very accommodating. Learnt a lot of things of how to be productive and efficient at the same time. Learnt how to juggle different responsibilities to the best of one's ability.
Costco is a fast-paced work environment. If you like to stay busy all the time, this is the perfect work environment for you. If you like to do as less as possible, you will probably not work there after maximum 6 months. Employees that work there stay because they are always kept busy and accomplishing different kinds of tasks. Costco likes team efforts and drives the business culture accordingly. You will probably be told to pick up the slack by your coworkers, before a manager tells you to. Everybody works as a team, at least, in most Costco Wholesale locations.
i found working at Costco was a great experience a very fast past environment with lots of interesting charterer too get too know from there at costco
I was at a location that only existed for a couple years, and so most likely because of loan payback which was most likely still occurring, management was trying to be austere while still presenting the location to be in pristine condition in terms of service, stock and cleanliness. This meant it was constantly understaffed, and the managers kept pushing to complete more than was physically possible in the allotted time. There is no union, and rumours exist of people being let go after the mention of it. Costco does pay a small premium over stores like Walmart or other grocery stores, which means they will constantly have new job applicants, allowing them to have whatever turnover they want at the location. I left due to the bad tradeoff of excessive stress for not much more pay, which no benefits, and authoritarian management.
It was nice working there, the people where i worked were great and friendly. it was fast passed and you always had to move. I liked that we got a free membership too.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
early morning
I was trained in the beginning by three people. I have been a part of the team since I started there. I can ask questions and I always get an answer. It's fair, and I enjoy my job immensely.
Pros
Great pay, great benefits
Cons
Soooo many changes every day.
dealing with unruly members while keeping the business standard and working in a fast pace environment. Food is very good and lots of staffing parkings.
Costco was a great place to work with as there are plenty of areas for growth and opportunity with fantastic staff and managerial staff. They are there to support you and watch you succeed.
Multitasking skills fast paced helpful fun atmostphere Everyone helps around and requires tasks to be completed within a time which helps yourself to be self satisfied with completion
Some of the best people I have ever worked with, but most of the upper managers were absolute trash. My lmediate managers were great but they burn them out fast. Assistant manager and store managers were the worst. If you dont like family time this is the place for you. Oh yea and dont think for yourself they hate that.
You could have the best crew in the world stocking shelves but if the manager they work for has no idea what they are doing, or abuses their position it creates a toxic work environment.
Pros
Flexible hours. Free Executive Membership. Decent benefits
Cons
People are not promoted based on skill rather their personal relationship with the higher ups
Great company. Great management makes for a great working environment. Positive influence from management. Accommodating and trustworthy. Ability to advance.
Pros
Flexibility on shift schedule
Costco Wholesale is usually a fast-paced environment. Every employee that stays employed more than 6 months are people who hate having nothing to do at work. You like always having stuff to do and working in a team, you might really like it. Management gives feedback from time to time, but more often depending of the departments. Costco Wholesale also offers pretty generous benefits. There are also many possibilities of advancement. Al so, Costco employees are given various tasks, if there is not enough clients at the cash, for example, they will send you to do other things, until there are more customers at the cash. They will go get you, sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes after 30 minutes, depending on the needs, but you will remain busy.
Start work in the morning and make sure that the warehouse is clean and presentable before opening. All merchandise is stocked and accessible for all shoppers. Wearing safety shoes is mandatory and might be the hardest part of the job since you're always on your feet.
Great place to work and get exercise at the same time. The people are very friendly and the customers are easy going. The hours are not the greatest in the beginning, but new opportunities always opening up.