Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews for Merchandiser

Productive workplace for regular staff
Night Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 January 2018
A difficult place to work in after the holiday seasons are over.
Work is not full time so you should have no expectation to get maximum hours outside of peak seasons.
Pros
Inexpensive lunches/ Great hotdogs
Cons
Not enough hours once Christmas is over...
Friendly and Happy Environment
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON24 January 2018
- A typical day at work would be starting early in the morning at 5am and just getting straight to work with restocking the particular section that has been assigned
Pros
Free Lunches occasionally
Cons
No time to take a breather
Costco's solid reputation is well deserved.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  693 wonderland15 January 2018
A typical day at Costco involved helping customers find products, removing cardboard boxes, and stocking shelves with incoming product at the end of the shift.
Pros
high wages.
Cons
job security
Good benefits
Morning and Evening Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC and St john's NL13 January 2018
wage was good, and guaranteed hours. However managemnent at the NL location made me want to quite. Hated that location, but enjoyed my work at the surrey BC location
i did not enjoy it'
Night Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC7 January 2018
i did not enjoy working theyre not very oganized
mean poeple cna be frustrating at times when other poeple are contantly in a bad mood thats all i have to say
Seniority trumps all.
Foklift Operator/Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 January 2018
If you don't plan on being there for the rest of your life then don't bother. You start at minimum wage and get a 50 cent raise every 800 hours worked. On top of that those that have earned the top scale wage will continuously find ways to do less and less work making it seem like you're getting payed less to do more than other people. Very frustrating system.
Pros
paid break
Cons
random scheduling, sloppy management
I'm sure it's a great company and workplace for most people.
Morning Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2017
I got the job as a part-time morning merchandiser. I've been there a week and I'm already about to quit. Let me explain:

Let me start by saying, it's definitely a great place to work if that's what you want as a career. Costco is very good with advancement within the company. Work hard and you will move up. In fact, most of the management and head office employees are hired internally.

As a new employee I was just kind of used as an extra set of hands. I did not receive any training. They kind of just told me what to stock and what to clean up. After the store opened, they told me to pack carts at front end.

A couple of the employees noticed that I wasn't actually getting trained and went out of their way to show me the ropes as much as they could while doing their job which was awesome. It was just weird how management kind of just threw me into the fire and I didn't get proper training. Not even any safety training.

What I don't like about this company is that they act like they pretty much own you in that they expect you to have "open availability" and therefore are not flexible whatsoever. They refuse to work around other schedules. In fact, you're not going to get hours if you're in school which is why they have that student program. I'm not a big fan of this because most students need to at least have a part time job while they're in school.

The shifts I was given were 6am-10am with the option of staying until 2:30 if I wanted to go the full 8 hours which was nice. I'm not sure that this would've continued on if I stayed.

If you like your weekends,
  more... this job isn't for you because shifts on the weekend are pretty much guaranteed.  less
Pros
Fast-paced, pay
Cons
Physically demanding, No weekends
Fun with alot of friendly faces
Night Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2017
I learned that Costco is a very diverse, social work environment. I The harder part depends on which department and position of the worker, in regards to shift start and or end. Morning Merchandiser start as early as 05:00, as does high season in Tire Centre. Evening Merchandising can end as late as 23:30.
fun place to work
Cashier/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2017
great place as a part-time job. good hours. great management team. great company to work for if you want a friendly work environment. great people at each location.
Decent starting job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 August 2017
- While store hours are open, it can be quite boring with repetitive cleaning tasks. After closing hours stocking picks up and is done all at once since not much can be done during open hours.
- Overall culture is decent with the usual approachable individuals and non-approachable.
Productive, Customer Focused
Night Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC14 August 2017
Customer Focused and presentation and product know how is a must.All employees are willing to help out each other depending on the need of services required in each of the customer or the department at any given time of the day.
Great pay, terrible environment
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON3 August 2017
- Workloads not evenly distributed
- Poor support from management
- Daily customer harassment
- Physically demanding
- Great pay and benefits
- convenient location
Pros
Job Security, Hourly Wages, Benefits
Cons
Work Environment, Management, Task Deligation
good company
PM Merchandiser/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 July 2017
costco is a great company to get on with. They have many amazing benefits to both full and part time employees. Excellent health care coverage and pension plans. I enjoy working here and am happy I have staid.
Pros
benefits, wages, job security
Cons
physical job, fast paced
Great work enviroment
General Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 July 2017
Great place great people. Great managment good listeners works more around you than the company to make sure your great for the company and perform your best and great deals if you have a family.
A place to learn discipline and working on a schedule
Morning Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 June 2017
A typical day at work consisted of making the store presentable to customers when the entered. This meant we had a limited time to complete our task. From this job I learned diligence and discipline and how to present a store to customers. The most difficult part of the job was working under a deadline constantly and dealing with heavy products.
Fast paced, never bored but hard work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 June 2017
Good place to work, good benefits. The management is very flexible with you if you're flexible with them, although it's very unorganized and messy at times.
Great place of work.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 June 2017
A typical day is fast pace and demanding. With this job I have learned lots from adapting new skills to improving customer service relations. The culture is very warming treating employees as family. I would say the hardest part of the job is labour itself, after awhile the heavy lifting can take a toll, but on the bright side a gym membership isn't needed.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Heavy lifting
Fun staff
Night Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 May 2017
A typical day at work included keeping the merchandise area clean, helping customers locate merchandise, loading items into vehicles, etc... It was very much a team oriented company which gave me the opportunity to exercise working as part of a team.
fun workplace
AM Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC18 May 2017
- work environment is very stress free
- input valued
- great benefits
- great management
- great pay
- flexible hours and lots of potential departments you could choose to work for
When the hours of operation are over, management completely changes during nightshift
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON11 May 2017
constantly micromanaged and under appreciated. Typical day is a nightshift consisting of stacking shelves and reorganizing or re-allocating palettes for the next day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2