Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews for Merchandiser

Terrible Place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2018
A typical day at work would be come in an hour before closing clean up my work area then after the store closed we would unload the trucks and stock. Management was terrible they would pick favorites and were very rude to pretty much every one. They are always understaffed so work never gets done and the employees take the blame for not working hard enough.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Rude Management, Understaffed
has potential to be the best of jobs
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 May 2018
Costco is a great place, they offer many benefits that help support your life, even as a part timer, but unfirtinally i find, unless you some how become the best of buddehs with the top managers or have put in at least 10-20 years of service, respect and freedom are very hard to come by, you are always fighting to keep your head above the water, barely being recognized for your good deeds but always having your failures thrown at you as a reminder not to do it again... i am making it sound like an -happy place, but i do suggest to give it a shot, i have made new friends and have learned great skills i would not have learned other wise... it may be a little difficult, but what job is-int
Pros
great benefits, great guaranteed hours, many different positions to try
Cons
moody managers, very fast pace, dealing with people
Productive workplace with friendly Co-workers.
Part Time Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON30 April 2018
Management is great
Learned about advertising sale products and merchandising it at the right location in the warehouse(Attract customers)

I would attend work for 5am and get the store ready before it opens. Stack products on a pallet to meet store standards, Move sale products to locations in the store that would grab customers attention, Clean working area, Bale the Cardboard box baler, help customers find products and also help customers load heavy items in their vehicle .
Overall a very rewarding work experience
Night Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 April 2018
During my employment at Costco Wholesale, I found that my coworkers were very dependable and easy to get along with. The management team was always willing and able to assist in tasks that required more than one person. They were also generally friendly, and if one were to put in 110% every day, the individual would be rewarded accordingly. Overall this was quite a lovely work experience, and I honestly would not mind working for this company again in the future.
Pros
Lots of opportunity for advancement, affordable wages
Cons
Indoors
productive and good place to work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 April 2018
great place to work. go in do your job mingle go home people are great hardest is dealing with meat garbage most enjoyable is no one breathing down your neck to rush you to finish unless the store is about to open.
Pros
good benefits, pay
Cons
start off seasonal in hopes of getting in full time
Very busy place to work
Merchandising department (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB12 April 2018
This is a busy place to work but they have good benefits and a very reasonable salary. It's easy to make friends with your fellow coworkers here and the management team knows how to run a warehouse quite well.
Good Pay and Work Life.
Night Merchandiser (Burlington Location) Part-time (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 March 2018
Fun atmosphere at Costco. The company regularly hosts events and bbq's to show workers appreciation.

Pay structure is very good, though it does take alot of time within the company to get up to max rate, which is around $26 an hour.

Company places a strong emphasis on promoting from within. Fun culture. Very busy!
Decent Company
Morning Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta12 March 2018
Costco is overall a decent company to work with. However, the starting pay is not at all very good, it takes a while to get to a decent wage, get full-time work or benefits and the hours are pretty daunting if you work morning (you start at 4am).
Work is very fasted paced and depending on your position, very labour intensive. The management are all fairly friendly and they do have an open door policy.
Pros
Free membership, good management, benefits after some time
Cons
Poor starting pay, hard to advance
Good
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2018
Good team. Good Pay. Bad Hours. Hard work, you can not slack of at all. Customers must be dealt with extreme patience. Good job for first timers to get the feel what it means to work hard.
fun work place
Morning Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB3 March 2018
great place to work, especially since you get benefits even if your only working part time. great for students. employees are all very friendly. team player environment.
Pros
free costco membership
Cons
hard to get promotions

Want to know more about Costco Wholesale?

Ask a question
You need a good work ethic to be successful at this job.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 February 2018
Busy you have five hours to get the your Section stocked and showtime ready

With the way the run the staff and with holidays sometimes there isn't enough coverage of staff.

They want people who think for themselves, management is okay as long as you work hard.

If you are part time they will change your schedule all the time, a guaranteed 25 hrs a week but more if they need you.

The hours are great if you are an early morning person, I found it hard to maintain a work/life balance.

The Pay and Benefits are good but you need to be there sometime and put in the hours to see those rewards.
Workplace culture
Stocker, Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 February 2018
Great workplace environment. Friendly managers and supervisors who are always ready to help you learn and excel in your position. A great company to work with.
Productive workplace for regular staff
Night Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 January 2018
A difficult place to work in after the holiday seasons are over.
Work is not full time so you should have no expectation to get maximum hours outside of peak seasons.
Pros
Inexpensive lunches/ Great hotdogs
Cons
Not enough hours once Christmas is over...
Friendly and Happy Environment
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON24 January 2018
- A typical day at work would be starting early in the morning at 5am and just getting straight to work with restocking the particular section that has been assigned
Pros
Free Lunches occasionally
Cons
No time to take a breather
Costco's solid reputation is well deserved.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  693 wonderland15 January 2018
A typical day at Costco involved helping customers find products, removing cardboard boxes, and stocking shelves with incoming product at the end of the shift.
Pros
high wages.
Cons
job security
Good benefits
Morning and Evening Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC and St john's NL13 January 2018
wage was good, and guaranteed hours. However managemnent at the NL location made me want to quite. Hated that location, but enjoyed my work at the surrey BC location
i did not enjoy it'
Night Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC7 January 2018
i did not enjoy working theyre not very oganized
mean poeple cna be frustrating at times when other poeple are contantly in a bad mood thats all i have to say
Seniority trumps all.
Foklift Operator/Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 January 2018
If you don't plan on being there for the rest of your life then don't bother. You start at minimum wage and get a 50 cent raise every 800 hours worked. On top of that those that have earned the top scale wage will continuously find ways to do less and less work making it seem like you're getting payed less to do more than other people. Very frustrating system.
Pros
paid break
Cons
random scheduling, sloppy management
I'm sure it's a great company and workplace for most people.
Morning Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2017
I got the job as a part-time morning merchandiser. I've been there a week and I'm already about to quit. Let me explain:

Let me start by saying, it's definitely a great place to work if that's what you want as a career. Costco is very good with advancement within the company. Work hard and you will move up. In fact, most of the management and head office employees are hired internally.

As a new employee I was just kind of used as an extra set of hands. I did not receive any training. They kind of just told me what to stock and what to clean up. After the store opened, they told me to pack carts at front end.

A couple of the employees noticed that I wasn't actually getting trained and went out of their way to show me the ropes as much as they could while doing their job which was awesome. It was just weird how management kind of just threw me into the fire and I didn't get proper training. Not even any safety training.

What I don't like about this company is that they act like they pretty much own you in that they expect you to have "open availability" and therefore are not flexible whatsoever. They refuse to work around other schedules. In fact, you're not going to get hours if you're in school which is why they have that student program. I'm not a big fan of this because most students need to at least have a part time job while they're in school.

The shifts I was given were 6am-10am with the option of staying until 2:30 if I wanted to go the full 8 hours which was nice. I'm not sure that this would've continued on if I stayed.

If you like your weekends,
  more... this job isn't for you because shifts on the weekend are pretty much guaranteed.  less
Pros
Fast-paced, pay
Cons
Physically demanding, No weekends
Fun with alot of friendly faces
Night Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2017
I learned that Costco is a very diverse, social work environment. I The harder part depends on which department and position of the worker, in regards to shift start and or end. Morning Merchandiser start as early as 05:00, as does high season in Tire Centre. Evening Merchandising can end as late as 23:30.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2