Costco Wholesale

Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews in Winnipeg, MB

I absolutely loved working at Costco. I was a seasonal employee there for 6 months. Everyone over there was so friendly and helpful, I felt like I got another family. The pay rate was amazing.
Management is very good with Costco. They take care of their employees and provide many opportunities for advancement. They are very good at recognizing hard work and showing appreciation for it.
People are fun to work with, with plenty of work to do, always keeping you busy. Managers of the front end are respectable and knowledgeable about the company
It was an amazing place to work, where effort is noticed and willingness to complete tasks is valued. The group became a second family and I loved spending my time there, both on and off the clock. I will gladly work for the company again.
Pros
Benefits at part time.
Cons
Scheduling can be difficult to book around.
Was hired for technology sales due to past experiences, very accommodating if you want to go to college or university. Wage is amazing for the job you do, moving around departments is pretty easy.
Pros
Very good pay
Cons
Each store has it's own "culture" which can be eh.
I worked here for 3 months in front end and it was a great experience! My managers and co-workers were all super friendly and had no problem showing me the ropes, It wasn't a hard job to learn and it was so fast paced that time went by really quickly. The Managers would always made sure you got your breaks and they would usually mix you around a little bit so you're not doing the same job all day. There is really good advancement options and they encourage you to as well.
Pros
Scheduled breaks, very friendly work environment, great advancement options.
Cons
Can get repetitive, can be stressful.
The job is quite demanding as you are on your feet all day and have to deal with members the whole time you are there. Other than that, it would be a fun job to work at if the management wasn't idiotic. Favoritism, scheduling problems, unrealistic expectations... you name it. I felt constantly belittled and underappreciated. And not to mention all the petty gossip and drama that occurred between employees. Just toxic, toxic, toxic. STAY AWAY.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Toxic work environment
I worked as night merch. Typically spent the afternoon cleaning up/stocking and the evening driving forklifts. I had great co-workers who I still talk to 3 years later and a good management team.
This company pays well and has great benefits. All hired staff are hired as "part time seasonal" and they can refuse to keep you after 90 days. If they choose to keep you on, it takes about 3 years to get a full time position. They work as a seniority company instead of going by who's more qualified for a position when considering people for employment opportunities within the company. They do not work around any outside scheduling so if you have another job, make sure they're more lenient with schedule compromising. They do have a great student program if you are a university or college student and will work around that schedule if you have proof of acceptance and a schedule.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
takes a long time to move up and no schedule leniency
I worked for a company called PWD, not directly for Costco but worked inside Costco. The job was demeaning and customers were rude. Good for a first job, but not in long-term. Management was alright, although they had no say in most things (everything came from head office).
I love my coworkers, everyone is so nice! Lots of new faces constantly when they hire seasonals so you get to meet a lot of people. Once you get to know them and have fun, every shift is actually enjoyable. Otherwise the job is very repetitive and can become boring very fast. If you want stability and good benefits, definitely recommned working here. Very flexible for students they only give you 15 hours a week distributed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. However sometimes they give little to no hours during the first 2 and sometimes 3 months of the year when business slows down. Lack of communication between managers and supervisors can be annoying and everyone has a diferent answer. When asking for time off, or if you have any questions make sure you ask more than one person to have a better idea. However it's nice that you don't have to respond to only one supervisor/manager, you can pretty much pick and choose once you get to know them. Most of them are really nice anyway. If you work in a department with lots of employees, like the front end, it's easy to switch shifts and get time off. Easy to move within deprtments too, just look for the postings in the lunch room and apply as soon as you see it. Both timeliness and seniority are taken into account. When business is slow, sometimes they ask you if you want to go home early but if you need the hours, they let you stay too. When they're really short of people and business is busy they might even ask for overtime. Overtime doesn't happen very often though.
Fast Paced Environment. Busy from start to finish Management Fair and gave clear instructions of Expectations Job more Physical than you'd expect but gave a good challenge
They take really good care of their employees. It is hard work and very fast paced but it makes the day go by fast. Really good place to work, highly recommend if you get a job there to work to impress cause you could get a career out of it.
Pros
Benefits, good pay, flexible hours
its a good company to work for. good pay and benefits. the people working there is friendly andhelpful. fun to work for. management is very helful esp. on working as a team.
Pros
good pay
Cons
started as part time
The job was fast paced and required attention to detail as well as the ability to be social. the job was fast paced and required many different you to perform many different tasks
Great Company to work for, amazing benefits and pension plans, good amount of sick days, family days etc. Only complainant is management at the warehouse level.
I have never worked for a company that looks out for their people so much. I left because I needed to move, but I wasn't able to transfer stores.they will go to great lengths to help out employees.
Pros
free lunches (when they came out with new items), raise every 800 hours.
Cons
folding all thoes clothes.
I like to work with the my colleagues as a team member and to assist the customers/ members for getting them the product they need and also to work in different positions. I like good benefits and hours given to us.
I am speaking the Regent Ave, in Winnipeg only, I hear the other location is quite different in its mgt. Of course actual job in practice totally goes against the safety training given in orientation. If a dept head or manager is asked whether someone should lift 50 pounds far above shoulder level, the will say not to. Dare you have another question or problem, you are identified as a problem, and are generally avoided or evaded to a degree....just keeping it real folks. No talking allowed for morning staff (4 am till opening). The management can't actually tell you not to talk at all, but they will tell you 'if you want hours, you need to be visibly putting in 150% which means, don't be seen talking.' I am not talking about standing around, talking and not working hard.... I mean, literally NO talking. If you caught talking by a supervisor, your yelled at from a distance to 'move it' or 'let's go.' I actually had no problem with this. What I did take issue with was the inequity of 'old-timey staff protecting their own self-interests (extra privileges). Despite the great, thorough orientation the Costco organization gives, the Regen the management ( 3 store managers, warehouse managers, two-tiered dept. manager, senior staff acting as unofficial supervising roles to new hires) all exist in a work culture as if they are working in a union setting despite Costco not being unionized. That is to say, as a new hire, you will be expected to work hard, lift heavy as fast as you can with no visible stopping or talking (if your a typical stockperson - excluding - more...
Pros
mostly nice coworkers
Cons
no talking allowed, even before store opens, dept management lets you know they have weight on you, you are rewarded by getting a hour or two extra of work, week to week basis
A difficult place to work in after the holiday seasons are over. Work is not full time so you should have no expectation to get maximum hours outside of peak seasons.
Pros
Inexpensive lunches/ Great hotdogs
Cons
Not enough hours once Christmas is over...
Doing various tasks such as bagging and boxing groceries in carts, cashier duties, customer services, various cleaning and maintenance tasks, and working outside pushing carts. The other employees are fantastic, everyone is very welcoming and the management is very accommodating to students. The best part of the job is the staff that I get to work with.