Costco Wholesale

Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews in Windsor, ON

A typical day at work would start with check in ,preparing snack cart equipped with paper towel,sanitizer, gloves,trays,snack cups and bags or boxes of the snack assigned to you.We also bring out a garbage bin for used snack cups and a mat to stand on. The snack station will be in same aisle as the snack being sold. We warmly greet customers proceed to provide nutrition, sales information and directions to the product being sold.We allow customers to grab a sample off the tray.Your snack station will be busiest on Friday and Saturday because that's when Costco is busiest. At the end of shift we wash trays and wipe down carts together before we checkout for the day. Most challenging part of the job was that your shift will change often it was hard for me to keep up with the schedule.I overall enjoyed the job very much.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Shift changes too often
I worked here as a student while in uni, I’m not sure how much has changed since then. It’s very fast paced, okay pay for students, and students only work during breaks. There is a huge expectation and pressure to sell memberships and the credit card, to the point where I felt harassed by management sometimes. There is good opportunities to work in various departments and is even encouraged. Staff are hit or miss, some are kind and others are jaded. You get to know the various faces in the community, including restaurant owners and local politicians. They are flexible in terms of scheduling if you have another job and trading shifts are easy. You get extra pay if you jump on as a cashier if that is not your regular position.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, bonus pay for cashiering, student friendly
Cons
Expectation and quota to sell memberships and credit cards, sometimes super busy, entitled clients
Very fast paced, can be very stressful if you have anxiety, and is very demanding. But it is a secure job with patient, understanding co-workers. Very friendly environment for more extroverted or more active people. The hours are a lot, but a good 9-5 job (can be as early as 8 am to as late as 10 pm). Too many hours can be exhausting and overwhelming but if it is hours you want, hours you will get! Also very secure job.
We were paid very well, but we were also expected to do a lot more sales than I had thought. Amazing company and some great workers. They become like family.
Good workplace for not needing any diploma or schooling. Friendly staff and hours are generally fair. Wage increase helps with the cost of living. Costco giving a free membership to all workers is also very kind and appropriate of them.
Great pay but the people working there are very snobby and judgemental. There manangement are not understanding about personal issues and expect costco to come before anything in your life. If your not willing to put them first then bad place to work. Also they dont like outsiders. They are all dating or in some kind of relationship they appreciate the ones who work less and under appreciate the real hard workers
Pros
The pay
Cons
Hard to get hired on
The job itself is not difficult. The people (public and colleagues) are a different story. If you don't have a thick skin, this type of customer service is not for you. There is ZERO consistency in the schedule. Meaning, you could work 9-5 one day, and 6 - 11 pm the next. If you have a young family, or want to have any type of social/family life, this is not the place for you. It is impossible to plan your life around your schedule, even while receiving your schedule 2 weeks in advance. The benefits are okay. But Full-time positions are hard to come by. So, while Costco pays for your core coverage benefits regardless, you still only get "part-time" benefits. You can also work 38.5 hours a week and still only be a part-time employee. They also honour a "seniority" based system for new opportunities and advancement, while having no other perks of a union. The starting wage is $15/hr and you have to work an insane amount of hours to get bumped up by $0.50/hr.
Pros
Job doesn't require a lot of "mental ability" or mental stamina, small groups of great colleagues.
Cons
No consistency, hard to advance, can be labour intensive and hard on your body.
-fun, fast pace work environment -sub par benefits but a good pension/ rrsp program -management was that of the worst I have yet to experience. Imagine 4 best friends with bad attitudes managing a warehouse. That’s the Windsor Costco If corporate paid any attention to the Windsor location they would realize a change in management is desperately needed.
Pros
Pension/rrsp program
Cons
Management!
I am currently in the student program at Costco, and it is amazing because they give me time to focus on my studies, however when I do work, it's usually over time. But you get a lot of money so there's a benefit!
Pros
Breaks, Pay, Benefits, Student Program, Friendly people
Cons
Long Hours, Overtime, Heavy lifting, Very busy
I was very happy working at Costco. I like helping people. As a bilingual person, I had the opportunity to use this skill to serve better our multicultural customers, however, it is nothing related to my career.
Pros
good benefices and a lot of opportunities
Cons
the wage
Employees are awesome, a little bit of miscommunication when it comes to management and supervisors. Lost of different areas to work in so you won't really get bored.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
communication
During my time at Costco Wholesale I gave out food samples. while demonstrating nutrition and pricing information. The work culture involves worker morale and customer satisfaction. A typical day at work is fast paced since crowds of people approach our demo tables everyday. There is lots of responsibility following WHIMIS and Health and food regulations when new to the job. Management is very organized with our work schedules. The most enjoyable parts of the job is meeting and greeting visitors while demonstrating food to crowds; Its pretty thrilling to me. Learning nutrition information having small conversations about it with customers. A perk we have is trying out samples before selling them so that we provide our honest opinion about the food we provide.
Pros
Pay above minimum wage, health benefits, vacation time
Cons
I don't have negative to say because for a short period of time.
Extremely fast-paced environment that required an extremely high level of maintenance. Very physically intensive job with high demand for productivity.
benefits
Cons
physically and mentally demanding
Great place to work. Open door policy. Accepting of ideas from all levels. Training is easy. Never forced to do more than i can handle. Focus on team efforts helps to ease tasks.
fun fast pace team oriented long hours on your feet customer focused family environment excellent employee benefits great staff parties stock and rrsp pension offered
Great place to work. I loves the job. Too bad it was only seasonally. I would recommend working at Costco they are a bunch of great people to work with.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Costco is a great company to work for, just don't do it in Windsor. Head office treats Windsor like an afterthought, and the stagnant mgmt. is allowed to destroy the corporate culture through ineptitude and petty cruelty. Saw many, many examples of bullying and sexist behaviour exhibited by mgmt. Many excellent employees will be forever overlooked due to the "old boys club" in mgmt that has been allowed to thrive for more than a decade.
Pros
Good pay for the work
Cons
Schedule is ridiculous due to terrible local mgmt.
Great place to work with great people and culture. Very fast paced and there is always something to do. Great if you like working with your hands. Time flies when you work. Opportunity to work autonomously when the store closes and they play music on the speakers. Loved working here- had to leave because there was a 10 year waiting list for full time employment. As soon as I left, they opened full time positions left and right. Whoops
Pros
fast paced, great people
Cons
can be physically demanding
A day at work would be helping the cashier put the groceries back in the cart cleaning up the store and putting items back on the floor. I learned that that when you clock out late or clock out late on your break you have to sign this book that's in the hr office. Management is really nice to all their employees they treat us really well there. The workplace culture is you'll never be bored they'll always have something for us to do. the most hardest part of the job is lifting heavy objects when doing putting items back on the floor like the flooring and dog food and most definitely the water. the most enjoyable part of my job is the people I get to work with or the people I get to see. I see a lot of people I know.
Pros
everyone is super nice to employees with special needs
Cons
breaks are not always ontime
very good place to work at. definitely would recommend to anyone. great hours to anyone who wants to work there, they are very flexible with time. also very considerate for workers who have school.
I enjoyed working with the other employees, the supervisors were very professional. I enjoyed how friendly everyone was. This is one of the best jobs i have worked at. the most enjoyable part of the job was how face paced everything was.