Costco Wholesale

Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews in Sherwood Park, AB

I have worked most departments and each one is a great learning experience. Some new hires quit too quickly before finding the versatility and openness for advancement. Get your foot in the door and there will be opportunity. As a matter of opinion, when you meet all the warehouse staff in each department (usually in the lunch room) you make some great friends.
Very repetitive, front end staff are great, mangers are awful, high expectations of front end staff. They need to practice what they preach, ie: follow the rules that they expect of the other staff to follow. Lack of communication. General manager yells at staff in front of members. Lack of support, breaks are late, unorganized, Mangers do nothing, they expect the supervisors to do it all, if something goes wrong u are to blame, not the member. Don't follow seniority rules, no room for advancement, Latest manager hired is so unorganized, she needs to go back to her old department.
Pros
Free membership for family
Cons
Mangers
When you work there, you sign a contract to never speak poorly about your experience at Costco in any way, shape or form that may form a negative view on costco, therefore I can not share my experience.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
I loved to work at Costco but I absolutely don't like de front end management every supervision give different instruction and when I follow one instruction the other punished whyI am doing that. The other thing what I think not was fair before they re hired me after season work I let them know the first day I am purchased my airplane ticket to travel home se my family for the hole summer they rehired then before I have to leave for my vacation they said I have to quit because they cant give me that long holiday. :(
It was a typical job for low income. Continued my skills as a forklift driver. Managements challenge was being on the same page. Management and skills varied from person to person. Most of the time the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. Therefore tasks became unorganized for each shift.
Pros
The product offered to members was always fresh
Cons
Poor Management
Started in the tire center and was constantly shuffled into other departments or pulled away to help in them during busy times. Managers from front end would pull us out of both the Tire Center and off maintenance to box groceries and then get offended when you try to leave to take your break. Absolutely atrocious scheduling in maintenance, at one point I started my week working close (11pm) on Tuesday and ended it opening (6am) on Saturday. In the year I was there I had a half dozen different managers, only two of which were good and suited for the job. Tire shop was alot of fun to work, but the customers were the most entitled people I've ever had the misfortune to deal with, and you were constantly understaffed from (the actual lack of staffing) and from being pulled away into other departments. Every single other employee at Costco was both cheerful and helpful with the exception of the fork lift drivers. Evening drivers were grumpy, but morning drivers were absolutely miserable human beings, zero respect for others, rude and absolutely no mind for anyones job but their own. Costco is great for advancement, but for a part time job there are better places to work. A big thing that people praise Costco on is their competitive wages; our management rep told us that 25 years ago when she started, she made 10$ an hour. The minimum wage 25 years ago was 5$ an hour. I started at minimum wage, not at double.
Pros
Easy to climb corporate ladder, love that costco cafe
Cons
Terrible management, terrible hours, not competitive salary
Very professional work place/company, typical day at work for the tire center was answering calls and dealing with a customers questions on pricing and size for their vehicle. Stacking tires and organizing stock. Taking in customers vehicles for tire repair, rotation, new set of tires or a re balancing. Making sure their vehicle gets treated with care and respect and paper work is complete. Costco Tire center is where I learned my customer care skills. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with amazing co workers, because Costco is such a big company they take care of their own and that's why everyone one that works at Costco is always a happy and nice individual.
Pros
Free membership
Would recommend for starters and people that would like to stay with the company. I had very good benefits and customer service was priority there.
I was hired as a part time cashier assistance, was given a 40 hour work load with no flexibility on scheduling or days off. Everything works off a seniority basis.. So if you are at the bottom of the food chain, well good luck... Your best chance at any grace is to make sure you are nice and liked by everyone.
Great place to work, coworkers are great, management good. Just about impossible to get Full time though. Too many full time longtime employees so new employees stay at part time for years and years waiting for a full time position to be available.
Pros
Good benefits & coworkers
Cons
cannot live on only part time hours
Jobs at Costco Wholesale
in Sherwood Park, AB
See more jobs
Many coworkers gave poor instructions, some would slack off and push their work on me. Pay was good at the time, although the job was relatively labour intensive, and the environment was hot due to the ovens.
Pros
Good Pay/Benefits
Cons
Poor work culture
It was a decent enough job, work was good but repetitive. Management was mediocre at best, really high expectations, not much guidance. Was frequently understaffed, and the job was very inflexible for a part time job.
friendly staff and fast pace environment .I liked working at Costco , very understanding , good training sessions . safety courses provided to staff .
The only complaint I have about working at Costco wholesale is that, when we couldn't keep any seasonal staff on for the spring, they required me to work full time hours, despite the fact that I was a full time student at the time. However, they were very understanding when I told them I had to quit
Working for Costco is pretty good for the most part, the co-workers are probably the best part, the pay is decent, being jjust above minimum wage, but promotions and getting a full time position could take years. Costco is best for student jobs as they have a really good student retention program
Pros
Awesome work environment and co-workers
Cons
part time hours get cut a lot
Friendly staff, kind local customers, fast pace work, always busy however, always talk about how much heavy income they receive each week but cant afford to give part time employees a minimum of 25 hours a week (which was promise among joining the team) Lack of extra shifts. Hard to get a second job with unstable hours
Pros
friendly staff, open minded, enjoyable workplace
Cons
Not enough hours, always talk about payrolls high income but cant afford to give hours?
Definitely the place you want to work at all your life. It is a place if you want to move up in the company fast and has great benefits. After your 3 months with Costco you receive 3 free Costco cards for you and your family, they never have to pay again.
Pros
Great benefits
Poor wages and hours. Slim chance for advancement. Customer can be a challenge as no one enjoys having their purchases reviewed as they leave the store.
I really enjoyed my time with Costco. I thrive on chaos and it was perfect for me. I got to lead and support a wonderful group of people. Management was proactive and always ready to help us succeed any way they could.
When you came on shift you checked with the supervisor to see if there were any immediate items to be made if not you proceeded to read the board and make anything needed. The hardest part of the job was working in the cold and standing on cement. The best part of the job was the staff we all had fun. I learned a lot about watching the shelves and learning to make decisions that would be approved by management without having to contact anyone. I learned how to be diverse, one minute you were making pizzas the next you had to jump to another table and make ceasar salads because you just ran out or had to run take chickens out of the oven because there were too many for one person and there was a line up. It was great fast paced time went by quickly.
Pros
co workers
Cons
not enough hours
The customers were rude on some occasions. The benefits you received was nice. If you needed a day off on one of your scheduled days off you would have to make up for time lost.