Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

nice place to work
Baker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2018
good benefits and pay. management are always there to help. lots of opportunities to go up. hard to find a company nowadays that will give you good work atmosphere
Prepare to sell your soul
Former Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2018
You will not have a life outside of Costco. Because they pay you well you are expected to devote your life to the company. There is no balance, either you are all in or you are not.
Cons
Awful managers
Okay
Production Coordinator – Marketing Acquisitions (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 January 2018
My working environment is one where there's a good sense of team spirit. A strong work ethic is obviously important but the human side is also important. I enjoy working with people who have a decent sense of humour and who, while they might take their work very seriously, don't necessarily take themselves overly seriously! I like people who are down to earth but who have a dynamic and progressive approach to their work. I really enjoy working as part of a highly committed and professional team.
Great company to work for
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 December 2017
One of the few companies that creates a good work environment for employees. Great pay, great benefits!

Working at the warehouse is great, with the option of moving around to multiple positions easily.
Summer Student
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 December 2017
I enjoyed my time with Costco. I learned a lot. It is a fast paced environment and work goes by so fast. The environment it so friendly. They offer student jobs in the summer.
I'm sure it's a great company and workplace for most people.
Morning Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2017
I got the job as a part-time morning merchandiser. I've been there a week and I'm already about to quit. Let me explain:

Let me start by saying, it's definitely a great place to work if that's what you want as a career. Costco is very good with advancement within the company. Work hard and you will move up. In fact, most of the management and head office employees are hired internally.

As a new employee I was just kind of used as an extra set of hands. I did not receive any training. They kind of just told me what to stock and what to clean up. After the store opened, they told me to pack carts at front end.

A couple of the employees noticed that I wasn't actually getting trained and went out of their way to show me the ropes as much as they could while doing their job which was awesome. It was just weird how management kind of just threw me into the fire and I didn't get proper training. Not even any safety training.

What I don't like about this company is that they act like they pretty much own you in that they expect you to have "open availability" and therefore are not flexible whatsoever. They refuse to work around other schedules. In fact, you're not going to get hours if you're in school which is why they have that student program. I'm not a big fan of this because most students need to at least have a part time job while they're in school.

The shifts I was given were 6am-10am with the option of staying until 2:30 if I wanted to go the full 8 hours which was nice. I'm not sure that this would've continued on if I stayed.

If you like your weekends,
  more... this job isn't for you because shifts on the weekend are pretty much guaranteed.  less
Pros
Fast-paced, pay
Cons
Physically demanding, No weekends
Good company culture
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 September 2017
Costco's culture is centered around the employees. Managers take performance reviews seriously and they provide valuable feedback. Salaries work headquarter jobs are low for entry level, but grow quickly.
Pros
Cons
Low entry-level salaries
Bon salaire et avantages sociaux
Coordinateur des transports (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 September 2017
Le salaire et les avantages sociaux sont excellents dans cette entreprise et il y a beaucoup de défis et de possibilité d'avancement.
The best retail job you can achieve
Front End Assistant, Night Merchandiser, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 August 2017
over the four years, i've worked for Costco, they've supported me through college. providing flexible hours and support and without that, I would still be working on that diploma. The management team is enthusiastic and caring. they really show that they value their employee's health and well-being and promote these values within the company. when potential or interest is shown in advancement, support and advocacy are offered. it was a pleasure working for Costco, its just time to move forward.
easy to move up and great benefits
Pharmacy Assistant / Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 August 2017
a typical day at work means dealing with a lot of customers. it is a busy and fast paced environment with a lot of opportunity to move up if you work hard enough
Fun place to work
Sales/Demo Representative at PWD (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 August 2017
The job itself is gruelling. But the employees are fun to work with. There is very little scope to move forward. Hardly any career opportunities. Pay increment is too less
Pros
co workers are fun
Cons
Very tiring
Office job
Contact service agent (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 June 2017
Sitting all day between gray spaces. Not enough movement and a lot of repetitive tasks.

Other employees are extremely friendly and the pay is most satisfying.
Costco Stocker
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 May 2017
My shift was from 4am-9am.
It was a rough time.
However, the pay was good and Costco treated me well.
Even though I worked in the warehouse in the early morning, Costco always valued that and thanked its staffed with a treat after every shift.
Pros
Great company and work environment
Cons
Rough hours
Awesome Coworkers, management left quite a bit to be desired
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2017
Overall, my time with Costco Wholesale was largely pleasant. I was hired on at a brand new warehouse, however, and because of that there were quite a few kinks to iron out. The schedule would be posted late, sometimes up to three or four days past the required time, I would be asked to come in early to open at 8 am at 9pm the night previous, and I didn't hold the warehouse director in very high regard due to her short temper and rather cold demeanor, thus defeating the purpose of Costco's 'open door' policy.

If you think retail is right for you, Costco is the place to be. If you prefer to take your skills outside of the retail environment, don't bother with it.
Busy workplace with slow managers
FRONT END ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 May 2017
It is constantly busy and fast paced but the work is simple. The managers are rude and expect you to work as hard as humanly possible. Co-workers are good.
Flexible and fun
Membership Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 May 2017
Great place to work, learned a lot about fast paced environments while ensuring excellent customer service. The hardest part of the job was the volume of members that would come in per day, but it was fairly easy to adapt to and it makes the days go by faster.
Orwellian
Member Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 April 2017
Worked in call centre. Avoid this employer if possible. You are micromanaged to an extent I never dreamed. Every keystroke, word, movement, scrutinized and recorded. It's really a dystopian, hellish existence. Also, the company is presented as a wonderful place that values its employees in recruitment but in practice it's just the opposite.
Pros
it's work and it pays *slightly* higher than similar other retail
Cons
Psychologically traumatic
Review of company
Contact Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 March 2017
On Dec.21,2016 My boss told me that because the production volume is down, they are laying people off. I was one of the people that they chose to lay off. However they told me that my last day would be dec.22,2016 the day after they had informed me. My contact would have been finished Jan.01.2017. I wish they would have given me more warning so that I could have figured something out as a back up. But because they only gave me 1 day warning, I did not have a back up plan and so I was forced to borrow money from family and apply for EI.

Costco is a good place to work but some of the way they do things is not right.
Great Place To Work For A Student
Clerk assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 March 2017
Nice conversations
Great Teamwork
Great Customer service

The part I enjoy the most is working with others, planning what we had to do, helping members with what they needed.
Customer Service / Membership Renewals (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 January 2017
Great place to work promising future but hard work. Good benefits and advancement opportunities.. Great team work and feeling work is family.
Pros
good Benefits
Cons
Hard Work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2